Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

MarcusSA posted:

Way overpriced. Like at that point just get the 4090 you are way deep into it anyway

Save that for me gaming at 1440p, what is the point in having that extra horsepower? The 4080 will run most games at the same FPS (due to CPU bottlenecks) and by the time games have advanced to tax the GPU more there will likely be a 5xxx series card. Ditto RT - the 4080 looks to play all of the current games at 1440p ultra RT without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Way overpriced. Like at that point just get the 4090 you are way deep into it anyway

Nope. Not the point.

The point is unless you’re playing 4k, you should be looking for a 3080 or 3090Ti if the price shakes correctly. And potentially the new AMD cards once we get proper benchmarks, which in all honestly based on their pricing tiers will be the most competitive they’ve been in many many years.

Even at 4k the value is questionable.

Price/performance only really works out as good value within the same generation. New gen should typically be higher performance at a similar price point to previous gen. This is why the 2000 series cards were seen as mostly bullshit. Much much higher pricing for average generational performance gains.

The 4080 FE doesn’t cost $500 more to produce than the 3080 FE did at launch. It’s pure greed on nvidias part, trying to reset pricing expectations to what they were at peak pandemic and supply/shipping constraint levels

Bouchehog posted:

Save that for me gaming at 1440p, what is the point in having that extra horsepower? The 4080 will run most games at the same FPS (due to CPU bottlenecks) and by the time games have advanced to tax the GPU more there will likely be a 5xxx series card. Ditto RT - the 4080 looks to play all of the current games at 1440p ultra RT without issue.

See above. IMO at 1440p 3080/3090Ti should be your target if you’re not gonna wait for AMD’s benchmarks or if raytracing is important to you. Which card depends entirely on pricing and what kind of deal you can snag.

Keep in mind the 3000 series cards are excellent at ray tracing, but we just don’t know yet how AMD will compare. They could be at par with 3000 series, with better raster, at a similar price.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Many the 4070 will be really good and well priced that I can afford it :gbsmith:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Many the 4070 will be really good and well priced that I can afford it :gbsmith:

lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Since we don't have a cases-specific thread: I've recommended Phanteks cases before, but now I can also recommend their customer support. I ordered a few parts from their site, and one of the parts had the wrong item in the right factory-sealed box (like, no way for a dude at the warehouse filling my order to know). I emailed Phanteks support yesterday afternoon and this morning I got a tracking number for the replacement. I don't think I've ever seen that fast of a support turnaround.

One time I ordered a pair of slacks from JCPenney online and what I had delivered was a sealed bag of women's Gold Toe socks that had a sticker on it for the slacks I ordered. It was very confusing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Can I use my GPU in the second PCI slot? The PCIe 1 slot is too close to the CPU to fit with my cooler. Trying to figure out if I can just move it or need to get another cooling solution.

If I can move it: will slot 2 give the full 16x if PCIe1 is empty, or will it be throttled to 8x no matter what? Talking about an ASRock B550 Pro4.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can I use my GPU in the second PCI slot? The PCIe 1 slot is too close to the CPU to fit with my cooler. Trying to figure out if I can just move it or need to get another cooling solution.

If I can move it: will slot 2 give the full 16x if PCIe1 is empty, or will it be throttled to 8x no matter what? Talking about an ASRock B550 Pro4.
Read wrong here. See below

Second slot is PCIe 3.0 16x, vs 4.0 16x slot one.

If you have a PCIe 3.0 card it functionally won’t matter, although technically the second slot is slower even at the same speed due to the extra distance.

If you have a 4.0 card and wanna spend money you could get a riser cable. Or consider rotating your CPU cooler.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

manual states:

quote:

PCIE1 (PCIe 4.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x16 lane width graphics cards.
PCIE2 (PCIe 3.0 x1 slot) is used for PCI Express x1 lane width cards.
PCIE3 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards.
PCIE4 (PCIe 3.0 x1 slot) is used for PCI Express x1 lane width cards

you can use it for your gpu, but your pcie#3 slot is limited to pcie x4 lanes as opposed to x16 with the main pcie#1 slot.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Nope. Not the point.

The point is unless you’re playing 4k, you should be looking for a 3080 or 3090Ti if the price shakes correctly. And potentially the new AMD cards once we get proper benchmarks, which in all honestly based on their pricing tiers will be the most competitive they’ve been in many many years.

I was always leaning towards nvidia for ray tracing, but are you suggesting that the value of new AMD cards is shaping up to be a hands down no brainer buy over Nvidia unless you have a specific reason ? I dont have a specific reason, just wanted the 'potential' to have the pretty things turned on

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my bequiet! 500DX in today (loving finally, thanks UPS) and man, getting that front panel off to do fan stuff or clean the filter is gonna be spicy. Takes a lot more force than I would have expected to pop that panel off.

Edit: A few cycles of popping and replacing to try it out and one last one to change the fan layout and it seems fine. Guess it just needed to wear the clip edges a bit.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 16, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Roundboy posted:

I was always leaning towards nvidia for ray tracing, but are you suggesting that the value of new AMD cards is shaping up to be a hands down no brainer buy over Nvidia unless you have a specific reason ? I dont have a specific reason, just wanted the 'potential' to have the pretty things turned on

the 7900XTX seems to be capable of raytracing performance somewhere around the 3090/3090 Ti, at least based on AMD's marketing figures, while being far better in raster. that's at least decent enough unless you're fine with shelling out for a 4090.

the 7900XT seems pretty poorly positioned (~80-85% of the performance for 90% of the cost) though

if they cut the price on the 4070 Ti from the previously announced $899 then it'll look a bit better - should have similar performance all-around to the 3090/3090Ti so there's at least possibly some value there, but then it really depends on what the 7800XT (or XTX who knows) compares and there's still room for AMD to continue pricing things much more aggressively than Nvidia

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For now, Nvidia is riding off the back of the 4080 and 4090 having higher performance than anything else on the market, and things are going to get weird once they start releasing GPUs that have previous-gen equivalents.

It really sucks that AMD couldn't do better on pricing. The 7900 XT and XTX situation honestly looks pretty similar to the 4080 16GB/12GB situation, but people are giving AMD a free pass because it's not as egregiously awful as what Nvidia did. The 7900 XT is still looking like a bad value though, and I don't think it's going to apply enough pressure at that price point to make Nvidia do any better than, say, $800 for the 4070 Ti (previously the 4080 12GB). I wish AMD would've removed another MCD and 4GB of VRAM from the 7900 XT (256-bit 16GB), kept the same GCD, and called it the 7800 XT while pricing it at $700 or $750. But they're reserving that name and price point for an even cheaper Navi 32-based GPU, I guess.

...Intel, please save us? (lol)

lih
May 15, 2013

Navi 32 will probably be announced in January though, same as the 4070 Ti re-launch, so there is the potential for further pressure there

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Oh, boy, it's time again to dip my toes into the sea of madness that is custom-built PCs! I haven't done this since my MSI GTX 1070 was hot poo poo. In short, I have been given an unspecified, generous-but-not-unlimited budget with which I want to build multiple computers for different scientific purposes. Thank you in advance for putting up with me on this.

Edit: I am willing to adjust almost every single aspect of these builds, if other options are cooler, better cost/performance, easier to build in, more reliable, etc. This is absolutely a pair of first drafts rather than a near-finished idea.

COMPUTER 1: LOW-KEY CLUSTER COMPUTING
  • What country are you in? USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter? No idea, and it probably doesn't matter since these will be going through a university purchasing system
  • What are you using the system for? Multi-core scientific computing, for jobs taking between 1 and 20 cores, and potentially multiple jobs running simultaneously. Like I said, this will be my own private cluster, albeit one with fewer cores than the university-maintained machines
  • What's your budget? Unspecified. For some reason the university has told me "get computer" rather than "spend no more than $5000 on computing needs". I will want a monitor, and preferably one with lots of screen real estate so I can juggle all of my FreeCell command prompt windows.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? For this computer, graphics is not an issue. I will want something that can manage a big monitor at 24-60Hz, but this is not a gaming box.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I'll want all the cores for this. With my simulations more cores == better than. Also need to ensure that the computer can run the Intel Fortran Compiler, but as I can tell AMD chips are still okay on this front.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($619.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($319.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($160.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($160.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA KO ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2232.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 22:21 EST-0500

Chief concerns
1. As I wrote above, the more cores I have, the happier I will be. It does not seem possible or reasonable to seek out a multi-CPU motherboard for use in my office. Under the assumption that I am indeed limited to a single CPU for this machine, how am I doing on cost/performance? PC Part Picker had the Ryzen CPUs showing up at 2-10x the price over Intel’s offerings for reasons unclear.
2. Reeeeeaaaallllly don’t need a lot of video card here. Could perhaps even skip the thing altogether if Intel’s iGPU is sufficient to drive a monitor. Is it worth putting the $270 towards more monitor?
3. On the topic of monitors, I didn’t pick one. While I’d like one of the fancy ultra-wide aspect ratio monitors, those seem to ring up at $1000+ and eat into the budget I would have spent on the VR box below. Ideally I’d like one big monitor or multiple smaller ones. What recommendations do you all have?
4. Are the case and PSU reasonable? A review on PCPP suggests I don’t need additional fans for this case, but a second opinion is always welcome. Likewise, the Corsair reviews well on PCPP but I don’t know how much of that is reputation vs actual build quality.

PORTABLE VIRTUAL REALITY BOX
  • Do you live near Microcenter? No idea, and it probably doesn't matter since these will be going through a university purchasing system
  • What are you using the system for? Small-form factor PC that can run VR and also fit into a carry-on suitcase for travel to conferences. Will be replacing an older model built into the Silverstone RVZ02. I am aware that assembly and cooling in a small form-factor can be challenging.
  • What's your budget? Unspecified. For some reason the university has told me "get computer" rather than "spend no more than $5000 on computing needs". I will want a monitor, and preferably one with lots of screen real estate so I can juggle all of my FreeCell command prompt windows.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have access to an HTC Vive Pro, which totals 2880x1600 pixels and a 90 FPS refresh rate. Any gaming I have time to do will surely be no higher than 1440p and 60Hz.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Will be tooling around in Unity and potentially doing some data processing to prepare stuff for use in virtual reality.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($279.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Video Card ($447.99 @ EVGA)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1717.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 21:45 EST-0500

Chief concerns
1. Is the CPU reasonable? I don’t intend to overclock, and I’m quite okay with going last-gen on everything: it should be a touch cheaper and still capable of what I need.
2. Is there a better, smaller, case than the Node 202? Seems weird to again be considering that case six or seven years later, but I don’t see anything obvious on PC Part Picker.
3. The 202 claims to have a CPU cooler clearance of 56 mm, and that cooler is just 37 mm. That’s a suspicious amount of vertical clearance given my experience building in my RVZ02. Is there a better (quieter, more efficient, whatever) cooler out there?
4. Graphics cards sure haven’t gone down in price since my 1070 was new. I’m not wedded to Nvidia, I just default to them out of habit. Is this the most performant card for the most reasonable price?
5. Given that this is a small form factor, cooling is obviously something to worry about. Are there options with less thermal dissipation than what I chose?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Oh, boy, it's time again to dip my toes into the sea of madness that is custom-built PCs! I haven't done this since my MSI GTX 1070 was hot poo poo. In short, I have been given an unspecified, generous-but-not-unlimited budget with which I want to build multiple computers for different scientific purposes. Thank you in advance for putting up with me on this.

Edit: I am willing to adjust almost every single aspect of these builds, if other options are cooler, better cost/performance, easier to build in, more reliable, etc. This is absolutely a pair of first drafts rather than a near-finished idea.

• What are you using the system for? Multi-core scientific computing, for jobs taking between 1 and 20 cores, and potentially multiple jobs running simultaneously. Like I said, this will be my own private cluster, albeit one with fewer cores than the university-maintained machines
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? For this computer, graphics is not an issue. I will want something that can manage a big monitor at 24-60Hz, but this is not a gaming box.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I'll want all the cores for this. With my simulations more cores == better than. Also need to ensure that the computer can run the Intel Fortran Compiler, but as I can tell AMD chips are still okay on this front.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($619.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($319.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA KO ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2232.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 22:21 EST-0500

Chief concerns
1. As I wrote above, the more cores I have, the happier I will be. It does not seem possible or reasonable to seek out a multi-CPU motherboard for use in my office. Under the assumption that I am indeed limited to a single CPU for this machine, how am I doing on cost/performance? PC Part Picker had the Ryzen CPUs showing up at 2-10x the price over Intel’s offerings for reasons unclear.
2. Reeeeeaaaallllly don’t need a lot of video card here. Could perhaps even skip the thing altogether if Intel’s iGPU is sufficient to drive a monitor. Is it worth putting the $270 towards more monitor?
3. On the topic of monitors, I didn’t pick one. While I’d like one of the fancy ultra-wide aspect ratio monitors, those seem to ring up at $1000+ and eat into the budget I would have spent on the VR box below. Ideally I’d like one big monitor or multiple smaller ones. What recommendations do you all have?
4. Are the case and PSU reasonable? A review on PCPP suggests I don’t need additional fans for this case, but a second opinion is always welcome. Likewise, the Corsair reviews well on PCPP but I don’t know how much of that is reputation vs actual build quality.

• What are you using the system for? Small-form factor PC that can run VR and also fit into a carry-on suitcase for travel to conferences. Will be replacing an older model built into the Silverstone RVZ02. I am aware that assembly and cooling in a small form-factor can be challenging.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have access to an HTC Vive Pro, which totals 2880x1600 pixels and a 90 FPS refresh rate. Any gaming I have time to do will surely be no higher than 1440p and 60Hz.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Will be tooling around in Unity and potentially doing some data processing to prepare stuff for use in virtual reality.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($279.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Video Card ($447.99 @ EVGA)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1717.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 21:45 EST-0500

Chief concerns
1. Is the CPU reasonable? I don’t intend to overclock, and I’m quite okay with going last-gen on everything: it should be a touch cheaper and still capable of what I need.
2. Is there a better, smaller, case than the Node 202? Seems weird to again be considering that case six or seven years later, but I don’t see anything obvious on PC Part Picker.
3. The 202 claims to have a CPU cooler clearance of 56 mm, and that cooler is just 37 mm. That’s a suspicious amount of vertical clearance given my experience building in my RVZ02. Is there a better (quieter, more efficient, whatever) cooler out there?
4. Graphics cards sure haven’t gone down in price since my 1070 was new. I’m not wedded to Nvidia, I just default to them out of habit. Is this the most performant card for the most reasonable price?
5. Given that this is a small form factor, cooling is obviously something to worry about. Are there options with less thermal dissipation than what I chose?

I'm not going to touch on computer 1 much since I barely know what cluster computing even is, but I will say that the Intel iGPU is perfectly fine for a basic display out if you have zero need for graphics acceleration, and also you really want a more powerful cooler for a 13900K.

I do know a little bit about small-form factor computers and VR, though. This will really depend on the kinds of VR applications you're doing, but if you need high-performance graphics, then I'd consider at least a 3060 Ti. I'm not sure what the prices will be like through your university purchasing system, but most 3060s on Newegg are less than $400 and the 3060 Ti is at around $400 - $450 depending on where you get it from.

The space you have available to fit the PC also isn't really clear. There are around three popular SFF form factors when it comes to dGPU-compatible gaming(/VR) systems. The first is the traditional mITX micro-tower like the CoolerMaster NR200 (11.50" x 7.28" x 14.80" HxWxD). The GPU slots directly into the motherboard and you end up with some amount of underutilized space inside the chassis They tend to be a little thick and deep, but short. The second is the "sandwhich-style" that uses a riser cable to position the GPU behind the motherboard. The shape depends on the orientation of the GPU, but these tend to be a little bit narrower than cases like the NR200. The Meshlicious can fit three-slot GPUs and is 6.5" wide (14.17" x 6.55" x 9.65" HxWxD). The last is a super slim layout which positions the GPU next to the motherboard somewhere. The Node 202 you selected is this type of design, but it doesn't permit more than 2 slots of GPU thickness which can be a problem with modern GPUs.

I think the Node 202 is probably fine for your purposes if you stick to 2-slot 3060-type cards. This style of case has largely fallen out of favor since people have really started to gravitate toward the likes of the Meshlicious or NR200 instead for their wider GPU compatibility. I saw some positive reviews for another slim-style SFF case a year ago called the "N-ATX" from "SFF Time" which had full ATX and quad-slot GPU compatibility, but it seems that it never materialized, and it would've been an expensive low-volume production run anyway. I'm not sure what else is available out there in this style, to be honest.

Also, I'm not really seeing the need for a 980 Pro here. You can likely save some money by getting a cheaper Gen 3 NVMe drive (even though I know that money saving isn't the top priority here)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not going to touch on computer 1 much since I barely know what cluster computing even is, but I will say that the Intel iGPU is perfectly fine for a basic display out if you have zero need for graphics acceleration, and also you really want a more powerful cooler for a 13900K.

I do know a little bit about small-form factor computers and VR, though. This will really depend on the kinds of VR applications you're doing, but if you need high-performance graphics, then I'd consider at least a 3060 Ti. I'm not sure what the prices will be like through your university purchasing system, but most 3060s on Newegg are less than $400 and the 3060 Ti is at around $400 - $450 depending on where you get it from.

The space you have available to fit the PC also isn't really clear.

Also, I'm not really seeing the need for a 980 Pro here. You can likely save some money by getting a cheaper Gen 3 NVMe drive (even though I know that money saving isn't the top priority here)

Thanks for this. It is absolutely the kind of advice I was looking for, since I haven’t been following this market in years. Cost isn’t a huge object, but the lower the cost the less pushback I will get from the university, so I appreciate tips on where cuts can be made without sacrificing much. (But in this case it looks like I will take the SSD savings and put them towards an upgraded video card. Is the 3060 not already a huge step up from a 1070, which performance I am already familiar with? Is the 3060 Ti that much of a step from the 3060?)

For what it’s worth, I have a suitcase that *just barely* fits my RVZ02, bought specifically because the suitcase both (1) fits into airplane overhead bins, and (2) holds the RVZ02. Ideally, computer #2 would fit into that case—which is why I went with the 202.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

maybe dumb question, but would you ever replace a PSU just due to its age out of safety? I'm upgrading my GTX 1080 to an RTX 3080 Ti that says it needs 750W, and my PSU is this 850W 80+ Gold model so it looks like it should be fine on paper, but it's also been running regularly for 5+ years. I don't know of any particular reason to be worried other than its age but wanted to make sure.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 16, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

maybe dumb question, but would you ever replace a PSU just due to its age out of safety? I'm upgrading my GTX 1080 to an RTX 3080 Ti that says it needs 750W, and my PSU is this 850W 80+ Gold model so it looks like it should be fine on paper, but it's also been running regularly for 5+ years. I don't know of any particular reason to be worried other than its age but wanted to make sure.

Most recommendations I’ve read that you typically wouldn’t need to think about it till it starts getting to the 10 year mark.

If it’s functioning fine and you don’t need to upgrade I wouldn’t even bother.

lih
May 15, 2013

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for this. It is absolutely the kind of advice I was looking for, since I haven’t been following this market in years. Cost isn’t a huge object, but the lower the cost the less pushback I will get from the university, so I appreciate tips on where cuts can be made without sacrificing much. (But in this case it looks like I will take the SSD savings and put them towards an upgraded video card. Is the 3060 not already a huge step up from a 1070, which performance I am already familiar with? Is the 3060 Ti that much of a step from the 3060?)

For what it’s worth, I have a suitcase that *just barely* fits my RVZ02, bought specifically because the suitcase both (1) fits into airplane overhead bins, and (2) holds the RVZ02. Ideally, computer #2 would fit into that case—which is why I went with the 202.
the 3060 ti is quite a jump over the 3060, about 30% iirc, maybe a little more? it would definitely be worthwhile and should be better value. the 6700xt is another worthwhile option to consider - performance should be similar to the 3060 ti (maaaybe slightly better) at that resolution but it's available for a fair bit cheaper at retail (but i have no idea what the university purchasing system you're going through looks like). the trade-offs are raytracing performance is much worse on amd cards than nvidia cards, so don't get it if you care about that, and i'd check your exact use case to make sure there isn't any nvidia vs amd performance issue (idk if you're using the gpu for anything beyond just vr here). and idk if you'd find one that'd fit in the small case you want - maybe?

for the scientific computing build, it sounds like you want to be looking at workstation cpus - threadripper or xeon. the 13900k does have 24 cores, but 16 of them are slower 'efficiency' cores. this is great for a lot of multicore workloads, but i get the feeling that wouldn't be ideal for running as your own private cluster - i'd imagine it would be a pain for scheduling at least. the highest end consumer-oriented ryzen cpu is the 7950x which has 16 cores (no big-little thing there) and has fairly similar performance to the 13900k in multicore benchmarks and is less power hungry, but is more expensive. if you want 20+ full-strength cores, that's well into workstation territory which is much more expensive (which is why you saw the 20 core ryzen cpus were way more expensive than the 13900k).

the psu is a good model. it'd be overkill for the 13900k on its own, but maybe not for a higher-end workstation cpu?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

your psu has a 10-year warranty, so it being 5 years old is not something to worry about.

lih fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 16, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grundulum posted:

I'm not sure, but this seems like a question that might be better suited to the AMD and/or Intel CPU threads - I know server-grade processors are discussed there, which seems more like what you're aiming for here.

They are (respectively):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817104
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348051

quote:

Given this use case, is there a reason you aren't looking at laptops? Given the fairly unconstrained budget you could probably buy a pretty beastly laptop that would accomplish your needs more cheaply and effectively. The university I worked at had a deal with Dell that let us get hardware at serious discount, as I recall.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Base it on the warranty.

The warranty is when the company thinks it’ll die. Most decent PSUs are 10 year.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maxsun RTX 3080 10GB for $699 with a $175 Newegg gift card included: https://www.newegg.com/maxsun-geforce-rtx-3080/p/1FT-009J-000B8?quicklink=true

For once, it's someone other than Yeston doing these gift card promos. This one strikes me as pretty decent if you can use the card. No waifu emblazoned on the backplate, no embedded perfume chamber, plus a triple-slot design that might be able to cool the GPU better than the Yeston cards. Especially as 3080 stock is starting to dry up suspiciously close to the 4080's launch (I sense some shenanigans there considering every other GPU has good availability). So if you don't want to buy used, I think this is a pretty good deal at an effective $525.

edit: If you filter out third-party sellers (which also filters out manufacturers selling direct, like maxsun), then Newegg is selling just two 3080 models; a 10GB for $780 and a 12GB for $845. Meanwhile, they have 12 3070 models available, not counting the Ti. So yeah, shenanigans.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

No waifu emblazoned on the backplate, no embedded perfume chamber, plus a triple-slot design that might be able to cool the GPU better than the Yeston cards.

What a rip off, I was promised polygonal women or at least some kind of murder pope.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Most recommendations I’ve read that you typically wouldn’t need to think about it till it starts getting to the 10 year mark.

If it’s functioning fine and you don’t need to upgrade I wouldn’t even bother.

My corsair hx520s started dying after 8-9 years of continuous use, so this tracks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: never mind, this wasn't a deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 16, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Given this use case, is there a reason you aren't looking at laptops? Given the fairly unconstrained budget you could probably buy a pretty beastly laptop that would accomplish your needs more cheaply and effectively. The university I worked at had a deal with Dell that let us get hardware at serious discount, as I recall.

Newegg has this Gigabyte laptop with a 3070 Ti, Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB of RAM, and a 4K OLED screen for only $1,250, down from $2200 for Black Friday: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233521

I can't personally attest to the quality of their laptops but it seems to fit the bill for not too much money.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

roomtwofifteen posted:

My local Micro Center has a deal for a 2TB Inland QN322 for $80. That feels really good to me as a second m.2 to complement my boot, and to replace my old 2TB HDD. Is this a dumb idea

Just FYI for everyone, these seem to be randomly coming back in stock at multiple Micro Centers on and off. It was sold out at my local ones the last few days, then this morning they all had stock and I managed to snag one (though haven't picked it up yet).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

The Oldest Man posted:

Dunno if this is the thread for it but does anyone have a KVM switch recommendation with HDMI support that supports 3+ PCs? I just had the USB hub in my latest Amazon-sourced BESTEKNOTH EXTREME+ garbage crap out after like two months and review sites for this are useless.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't have an answer for you, but my USB KVM hub crapped out recently after 4 months, so I'm curious about some non-junk options too.
Turns out one of the USB cables just crapped out. I got a replacement, and it's working great again (for now).

Maybe some of them aren't poo poo. They just ship with poo poo cables!

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
So after schlepping my PC back and fourth for a few weeks, I'm ready to push up my purchase to save on back strain! Could someone help me out with this build? Also, it turns out that I AM near a micro-center if that helps with the build (updated below). Thanks in advance.

Belbos Computer posted:

Been awhile since I've built so I'm out of touch on the advantages/disadvantages for the current processors and whatever's going on with DDR5. I do some audio recording/editing so it would be great to get some suggestions for cases/fan models that emphasize silence (I'd prefer not to sacrifice power for silence, though, I'd rather spend extra if possible on fans/liquid cooling to find a balance).

What country are you in?
US; near a microcenter.

What are you using the system for?
Audio editing/recording, amateur video editing/streaming; work in Dreamweaver & photoshop, occasional FPS/ BR gaming

I use the Adobe suite pretty frequently (mostly Audition, Dreamweaver, PS) I do like to multitask and run those alongside whatever web surfing I'm doing.

What's your budget?
It's a work & personal computer so my budget is on the higher side... $4,000?

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I have two GIGABYTE M28U-SA-R 28

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I'd skew towards ultra preset / as fast as possible.

Thanks for any help! I'm looking to put it together soon, but if there are upcoming releases that I need to wait on, I suppose I could white-knuckle my way through it.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is it safe to place this metal model i got as a gift ontop of my gpu backplate?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ughhhh posted:

No. If you jolted the PC it could short something.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ughhhh posted:

Stick with anime figurines (doubly so if it’s a waifu gpu).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

Stick with anime figurines (doubly so if it’s a waifu gpu).

My bug is horny enough for me. I guess it will just sit next to the PC then.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Been thinking of upgrading my cpu from the 3700x. I have an x570 mobo. Is something in the 5000 series a big enough upgrade to be worth it or should I just eventually consider getting both new mobo and cpu later on at this point? Mostly just for gaming.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

ughhhh posted:

drat, that's awesome! They gotta make a Metal Slug next

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Been thinking of upgrading my cpu from the 3700x. I have an x570 mobo. Is something in the 5000 series a big enough upgrade to be worth it or should I just eventually consider getting both new mobo and cpu later on at this point? Mostly just for gaming.

The 5800X3D is still one of the best gaming CPUs on the market. It can go toe to toe with the top CPUs released in the last month. As for whether it's worth upgrading, that depends on the GPU and resolution you're using. I wouldn't bother unless you're using a 3080 or better at 1440p (or lower) and are looking for high frame rates.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 17, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Have you heard the Good Word about the 5800X3D? I think they have their own church and missionaries now.

e:f,b

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The 5800X3D is still one of the best gaming CPUs on the market. It can go toe to toe with the top CPUs released in the last month. As for whether it's worth upgrading, that depends on the GPU and resolution you're using. I wouldn't bother unless you're using a 3080 or better at 1440p and are looking for high frame rates.

Oh, yeah I am using a 3080 at 1440. Thanks, Ill look into that one!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, in the market for a new mobo/ram/cpu combo, PSU and probably a case to go with it; what's a good bang for buck right now?

I'm looking to do some current gen gaming @ 1080p, 1440p if I can swing it at some point, but I'm running a 2080super and cannot afford to upgrade GPUs right now; I'd like to start with 32GB RAM with opportunity to upgrade to 64GB because I use my PC as a hyper-v host for testing stuff.

I guess I might need a new cooler too, debating going with an AIO. Size of case doesn't matter, I typically go full tower so I can have plenty of room to work with and so I can stuff a bunch of storage in there.

Current PC is uhh very old, the processor is https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/63697/intel-core-i73930k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz/specifications.html and it's definitely showing its' age.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MF_James posted:

So, in the market for a new mobo/ram/cpu combo, PSU and probably a case to go with it; what's a good bang for buck right now?

I'm looking to do some current gen gaming @ 1080p, 1440p if I can swing it at some point, but I'm running a 2080super and cannot afford to upgrade GPUs right now.

I guess I might need a new cooler too, debating going with an AIO. Size of case doesn't matter, I typically go full tower so I can have plenty of room to work with and so I can stuff a bunch of storage in there.

A B550 motherboard, Ryzen 5600 and whatever decent 3200mhz RAM you can find for a good price. Last gen Ryzen stuff is on full fire sale in a lot of places so they're dirt loving cheap. That'll sort you for a while even if you do upgrade to a 1440p monitor.