Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
the guy he fired yesterday should reply to every new elon tweet with "u mad? 😂😂" from now until elon suspends his account, which he would absolutely do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I do think this is a bit disingenuous - it is not like Elon personally went in and approved these folks. He just allowed them to play the same game as everyone else - pay $8 for a now worthless checkmark.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

I think he associates with people who's opinions of him can change.

Some Saudi guy owns a bunch of the Twitter shares, right?

Plot twist, it's Nathen "Nathfield" Mazri's dad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592582828499570688

elon is pals with libsoftiktok i guess, also doesn't know what tourettes is

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

All these dimwitted chuds celebrating these engineers getting fired like they won't have a new job within the week

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lol he ran the company that put up starlink, he didn't do an ounce of coding for deployment, satellites anything...

but yeah okay gonna trust elon musk to fix my code. what's that? the team at zip2 eventually just rewrote all of elon's code? oh i'm sure they were just jealous.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lmao this guy

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ymgve posted:

I do think this is a bit disingenuous - it is not like Elon personally went in and approved these folks. He just allowed them to play the same game as everyone else - pay $8 for a now worthless checkmark.

He gets no pass on this. If he wants to keep encouraging (or refuse to correct) people using the old "Verified" name to refer to the new meaningless checkmarks, he has to deal with the implications.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Guze posted:

All these dimwitted chuds celebrating these engineers getting fired like they won't have a new job within the week

The one guy got a job offer almost immediately from Reddit and all the Elon dick riders were trying to get the guy to rescind the offer

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey Elon i got a pull request for ya right here *motions to pants*

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

B-Rock452 posted:

The one guy got a job offer almost immediately from Reddit and all the Elon dick riders were trying to get the guy to rescind the offer

Yeah I’ve seen a few “these people have to go out and get real jobs now” reactions from Musk fans and I’m wondering what they think a job is.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/saeeddicaprio/status/1592549317495377920?s=46&t=TujTNQdu_y6rPp7fVXivrQ

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Strong Sauce posted:

lol he ran the company that put up starlink, he didn't do an ounce of coding for deployment, satellites anything...

but yeah okay gonna trust elon musk to fix my code. what's that? the team at zip2 eventually just rewrote all of elon's code? oh i'm sure they were just jealous.
Even if he did, there's a vast difference between what Starlink does and what an application like Twitter does. It's like saying the CEO of Mack Trucks can totally run the two door coupe division of Mazda because both involve vehicles. The fallacy of transferred expertise, if there were any expertise to be had in the first place.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Sanctum posted:

I live near SF and I met a twitter employee at a party once and she was a huge jerk. I said something about not using twitter myself and she was all "well basically everyone else does so it's not like you matter." I hope she learned to be a less lovely person.

How in flying gently caress does a car company implement this without someone mentioning that turning the wheels while stationary is the fastest way to bald your tires? :psyduck:

It truly boggles the mind. This whole thread does. The world was not this stupid 10 years ago. And it was pretty loving stupid. How did we get here? I live in a small town with no sidewalks so every time I see a tesla I have to pull my dog in because you never know if it's in self-driving mode ready to run over my dog without slowing down. Teslas should not be on the road.

A decade ago was when web 2.0 really hit its stride. We saw some of the promises from web 1.0 fulfilled, and your average dumbass really started to use the internet and engage on social media.
This also meant ancient business "leaders" and "geniuses" started to use the internet themselves, and realize that it isn't the fad it was considered to be 10-15 years ago, and that there were untapped markets to exploit that were forming.
These people have gigantic piles of money to throw at __new_thing_here__ to try and make an even more gigantic pile of money. Turns out, these people with said gigantic piles of money are raging morons that got their position in life through the birth lottery and generational wealth. Some of these morons, like The Muskrat, leveraged their knowledge in both worlds to grift off of the big gigantic piles of money to make their pile of money bigger.
Fast forward to the present, and the transparency and ubiquity of the internet has been used to prove (along with global issues like COVID etc.) how stupid/sociopathic all of these people are and how much of our major processes that work to keep the modern world spinning are reliant on said money pile moron gang. the money pile moron gang has a vested interest in keeping this combined grift going.
Ol' Dirty Muskrat isn't the disease, he is merely a symptom.

TL;DR - the moneyed elite are just dumbass sociopaths and the internet helped break their PR veils to show the world this however the world continuing to operate as it is currently is reliant on these dumbass sociopaths

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1592574667470307328?cxt=HHwWgIDUzZyO-5ksAAAA

Every red flag around working for twitter now.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

What's up with all these people sucking him off in all these links with his bad opinions? I am on the app so I don't see imbeds. Twitter always seemed like a narcissistic echo chamber but its really next level for this guy.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

longtimelurker posted:

What's up with all these people sucking him off in all these links with his bad opinions? I am on the app so I don't see imbeds. Twitter always seemed like a narcissistic echo chamber but its really next level for this guy.

People really do see him as a “titan of industry” or a Tony stark type, trying to make a world a better place through his own sheer hard work. Like every weird capitalist myth personified into a messiah figure.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The only thing I’ve ever used my Twitter for was impersonating a Goonfleet.com director/admin over a decade ago.

Edit: viewing Musk’s bullshit through the lens of “he thinks he’s Tony Stark” makes a ton of sense

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

longtimelurker posted:

his army of fans and bots are probably downvoting anything critical in the replies, and anyone with taste or capable of independent thought probably doesn't follow elon, if they are even still using twitter

the only people other than his fans watching what he says are journalists and the sickos like us going :sickos:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
techbros and other very smart people believe in something called rokos-basilisk and/or effective altruism.

if we suck off Musk enough he makes a supa AI and the AI will make supa heaven matrixes where Musk and his rats get to feel good or some stupid poo poo.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592582828499570688

elon is pals with libsoftiktok i guess, also doesn't know what tourettes is

quote:

said it before, but im excited to see chuds begin to buy teslas to own the libs

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ymgve posted:

True, but when made aware of the issue he’s fine with it. The old saying that sites should be judged based on the worst content they tolerate. SA isn’t perfect but someone recruiting for hate groups would either get perma’d immediately or a lot of users wouldn’t stick around.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

rokos-basilisk

Still one of the dumbest "thought experiments." Makes more sense to be afraid of ghosts or the babadook

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Elon should start hiring these chud dipshits with no coding experience so he can have them cheerleading for him on internal slack while they gently caress up the infrastructure

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PhazonLink posted:

techbros and other very smart people believe in something called rokos-basilisk and/or effective altruism.

if we suck off Musk enough he makes a supa AI and the AI will make supa heaven matrixes where Musk and his rats get to feel good or some stupid poo poo.

Jam enough techbros into a room and they somehow reinvent the divine right of kings

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

longtimelurker posted:

You can turn embedded tweets on in the app settings, if you want

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
He's turning twitter into his own Slack praise-channel and he doesn't have to pay these clowns a dime. In fact, they're willing to pay him!

He should just turn it into his version of the Jeremy Renner app like the prophesies foretold.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobjr posted:

Yeah I’ve seen a few “these people have to go out and get real jobs now” reactions from Musk fans and I’m wondering what they think a job is.

They genuinely do not get how valuable people with experience on that kind of large scale architecture are even if we weren't in the middle of a massive employment shortage. Getting publicly fired by Elon at 10am means that your afternoon is booked solid with interviews from the other Silicon Valley giants who want to throw even larger piles of money at you while it's one more nail in an already collapsing company's coffin. The people cheering it on are amazingly clueless and either work jobs where people are interchangeable cogs or manage people like they are.

But keep going, Elon. Fire anyone who raises reasonable questions about today's brilliant idea or corrects you when you're spreading information that's harmful to the company you own. :regd08:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

I think these posts are over estimating how popular twitter is, like yeah, for the places(like here) where its used, it is super popular, but then there's a sharp drop off.

Its popularity is inflated because it's the platform of choice for Western journalists and professional opinion-havers, and it being embeddable everywhere makes it a good source of low-effort "news" for other sites.

But in terms of active users it is way down the list, meaning that it's not a top priority for advertisers who will be happy to drop any spending on such a small audience the second it starts to reflect poorly on them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

I think he associates with people who's opinions of him can change.

Some Saudi guy owns a bunch of the Twitter shares, right?

The kingdom's investment fund was a major investor before this and essentially maintained the same level of investment in the Musk era.

The guy who masterminded the Kashoggi killing and bone sawing spent over a decade on a programming forum giving out a bunch of paying work to random users and its highly suspected (if not accepted) that he deployed a ton of those projects to spy on foreign and domestic critics of the regime. Imagine what he can do with just direct access to Twitter user profile information.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Lol word?

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006