Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Fair to point out that a big reason Germany changed so much was because its enemies killed and jailed everyone responsible for the crimes. That just won't happen with Russia.
LOL they absolutely did not. They rubber-stamped MANY denazifications because they needed a competent buffer west of the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

uXs posted:

Circumstances change. Do you think nothing would happen if Russia shot down a civilian airliner today?

Iran shot down an airline recently, right after attacking a US army base. Nothing significant happened.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL they absolutely did not. They rubber-stamped MANY denazifications because they needed a competent buffer west of the USSR.

Also everyone responsible would be like a quarter of the country..

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1592609073090138113

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Does it make a difference if the Russian missile flying over NATO airspace was caught by air defense, fell and killed 2 people vs the missile actually detonating and hitting the people?

I don't think so, it wasn't aimed at Polish territory in any case. It failed for whatever reason and landed there - if Russia can't guarantee their munitions don't land in NATO territory accidentally then the response is the same (whatever that may be)

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

Does it make a difference if the Russian missile flying over NATO airspace was caught by air defense, fell and killed 2 people vs the missile actually detonating and hitting the people?

Probably not, unless it is somehow possible for an air-defence missile to cause the Russian missile to alter it's original path. I have no idea if that's how these things work.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Chalks posted:

I don't think so, it wasn't aimed at Polish territory in any case. It failed for whatever reason and landed there - if Russia can't guarantee their munitions don't land in NATO territory accidentally then the response is the same (whatever that may be)

Do we know for sure it wasn't aimed at Polish territory? I know we're operating under the assumption that Russia isn't that stupid but is there any way to tell?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Cooler heads will prevail
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1592603091274149888?s=20&t=WbGHdrdAQcDeqF78iJrUyw

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn't Zelenskyy and the rest of the current Ukrainian administration insistent on liberating everything including post 2014 borders?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Do we know for sure it wasn't aimed at Polish territory? I know we're operating under the assumption that Russia isn't that stupid but is there any way to tell?

It's bumfuck in the middle of nowhere.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Isn't Zelenskyy and the rest of the current Ukrainian administration insistent on liberating everything including post 2014 borders?

So is anyone with any speck of decency?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Despite everyone already knowing Russia shot down MH17 it took over a year of investigations to prove it in an official report by by the Dutch Safety Board. I don't think anyone is going to do anything at least not in the immediate time frame.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Fair to point out that a big reason Germany changed so much was because its enemies killed and jailed everyone responsible for the crimes. That just won't happen with Russia.

That is hilariously off base. The entire judiciary and security apparatus was kept full of Nazis, prominent Nazis got their Persilschein and were either recruited by the allies or put back to work.

There was no actual reckoning until decades after.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

1991 borders

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

TheRat posted:

Iran shot down an airline recently, right after attacking a US army base. Nothing significant happened.

It was also one of their own jets over their own territory and there were no Americans onboard.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Antigravitas posted:

That is hilariously off base. The entire judiciary and security apparatus was kept full of Nazis, prominent Nazis got their Persilschein and were either recruited by the allies or put back to work.

This is fair and I was imprecise. My point was that leadership was beheaded and that there were outside forces that mandated a certain path forward and (perhaps most importantly) funded the transition.

Putin, Shoigu, Lavrov, etc, aren't going anywhere voluntarily.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

It was also one of their own jets over their own territory and there were no Americans onboard.

I think they mean the Ukrainian jetliner shot down over Iran

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ikasuhito posted:

It was a Ukrainian jet lmao.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ikasuhito posted:

A large amount of Canadians though.

E: And yeah, it was Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Germany was definitely helped by people aging out. My grandfather has been through the occupation as a young kid (and remembers loving around with the local Hitlerjugend), and while his opinions on Germany and Germans mellowed out over time, I would never call it accepting.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

yeah, and the occupiers in iraq tried a different method where every ba'athist was fired, and it lead to a much worse situation, eg. isis was created by former ba'athists

unfortunately dictatorships can't be fixed overnight

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

RT head still going off on Twitter
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1592614508442578945?s=20&t=2wsFRB42QSfTc5zR7jSRTA
Note that Hungary and Moldova are also having emergency meetings - their own power infrastructure was affected by the strikes in Ukraine

Powerstation near pipeline that services Hungary was hit
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1592601959965822977?s=20&t=DkHBCnDOt58m5DfN4CkIUw
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1592609947552215040?s=20&t=DkHBCnDOt58m5DfN4CkIUw
Moldova experiencing power outages
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1592568126285438980?s=20&t=DkHBCnDOt58m5DfN4CkIUw
So this spillover into Poland isn't the only collateral damage from today

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 15, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I saw a mention on reddit that it wasn't the pipeline itself, but a powerstation nearby - hitting that shut the gasflow.

EDIT: I guess that's mentioned in the twit itself, nevermind.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

It’s up to you to provide evidence to insane fiction, not for us to disprove it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mmkay posted:

I saw a mention on reddit that it wasn't the pipeline itself, but a powerstation nearby - hitting that shut the gasflow.

EDIT: I guess that's mentioned in the twit itself, nevermind.

I fixed it anyway. Better to be accurate!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1592616005851054080?s=46&t=QKeNNnrrNoCDj0kcWOiNQQ

Looks like the object on the Ukrainian side is not a water treatment plant, but a thermal power plant, which would be more like the other energy-related targets Russia is going after.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s up to you to provide evidence to insane fiction, not for us to disprove it.

I swear I'm not trying to do Clancychat, I guess I'm just asking if there's a way to tell which direction a missile (any missile) was going/what its aim was after it's been shot down.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

I feel like there's some practical issues with shooting into someone else's airspace. It would require an integration of Ukrainian and NATO missile defenses lest NATO fires missiles into Ukrainian airspace which then get shot down by Ukrainian missiles, or worse, NATO missile brings down a Ukrainian MiG. It might be more effective to just give more missile defense assets to Ukraine.

Oh, well. I guess we'll just need to integrate Ukraine into NATO. For Poland's protection. I guess Russia should have thought of that.

NATO should absolutely put up active air and missile defenses across the Polish and Romanian borders with Ukraine if either country requests it, and then shoot down anything that could so much as drop a loose screw on their land.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yeah, people forget that the solution to fascism was hanging a bunch of fascists after leveling their countries. It's unpleasant to dwell on. (No, we didn't kill all of them, but evidence suggests we killed enough to keep the peace for a few generations.)

Youth Decay posted:

If a robber shoots at their victim, misses and hits someone else, they're guilty of shooting that person.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am curious about the distance between the X and the power plant, any chance it's an even multiple of arcseconds or something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

I swear I'm not trying to do Clancychat, I guess I'm just asking if there's a way to tell which direction a missile (any missile) was going/what its aim was after it's been shot down.

Based on the crater alone, not always - especially if it took a grazing AD hit and was sent flailing. If it has some kind of flight recorder that can survive the impact (why would there be one) or if a radar tracked its flight (why wouldn’t there be one) then sure.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

From the images, it looks like it hit a tractor in the middle of a field. It missed what ever it was aiming at so there's no reason to think that target was anywhere besides Ukraine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Xarn posted:

Germany was definitely helped by people aging out. My grandfather has been through the occupation as a young kid (and remembers loving around with the local Hitlerjugend), and while his opinions on Germany and Germans mellowed out over time, I would never call it accepting.

There is certainly some resentment left in Poland.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I am curious about the distance between the X and the power plant, any chance it's an even multiple of arcseconds or something?

Here ya go

I got the coordinates of the plant from a list of coordinates of Thermal power plants in Ukraine -https://www.jagranjosh.com/general-knowledge/list-of-thermal-power-stations-in-ukraine-1368425920-1

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Just checked and it seems that image is overestimating the distance - the Dobrotvir TPP is outside of L’viv, putting it around 70 40 km away as the crow flies from where the explosion happened.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Chalks posted:

From the images, it looks like it hit a tractor in the middle of a field. It missed what ever it was aiming at so there's no reason to think that target was anywhere besides Ukraine.

If it’s actually two missiles as is being reported by some outlets, I find it highly dubious this was anything other than an intentional direct escalation of the Russian government aimed at seeing how far they can actually push NATO.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ynglaur posted:

Oh, well. I guess we'll just need to integrate Ukraine into NATO. For Poland's protection. I guess Russia should have thought of that.

NATO should absolutely put up active air and missile defenses across the Polish and Romanian borders with Ukraine if either country requests it, and then shoot down anything that could so much as drop a loose screw on their land.

Yeah, people forget that the solution to fascism was hanging a bunch of fascists after leveling their countries. It's unpleasant to dwell on. (No, we didn't kill all of them, but evidence suggests we killed enough to keep the peace for a few generations.)

If a robber shoots at their victim, misses and hits someone else, they're guilty of shooting that person.

So what if the police goes after the robber and hits the civilian instead? Is that the robbers fault?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kuleba is lobbying for F-15s and F-16s.

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1592615651344265216

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

If it’s actually two missiles as is being reported by some outlets, I find it highly dubious this was anything other than an intentional direct escalation of the Russian government aimed at seeing how far they can actually push NATO.

They've already pushed NATO too far though, I don't see how this makes sense. Like, 12 months ago, sure, they were saying "lets see how much we can get away with!!" but then they very much did not get away with that poo poo. Now is not the time to gamble on even more support for Ukraine with zero upside.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So what if the police goes after the robber and hits the civilian instead? Is that the robbers fault?

If this was an AD missile fired by Ukraine it's a very different situation.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 15, 2022

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chalks posted:

They've already pushed NATO too far though, I don't see how this makes sense. Like, 12 months ago, sure, they were saying "lets see how much we can get away with!!" but then they very much did not get away with that poo poo. Now is not the time to gamble on even more support for Ukraine with zero upside.

I don't think Putin is literally crazy, but it sure seems like he's got nothing but kiss-rear end types working for him, and everyone is lying up and down the chain of command to cover their own asses after each new botched op. It's not an environment that produces good strategic decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

"Poland started WW2 because it didn't roll over for Hitler" is one hell of a hot take. Is that remotely common in Russian popular history or was this take specifically created for current events?

KitConstantine posted:

Note that Hungary and Moldova are also having emergency meetings - their own power infrastructure was affected by the strikes in Ukraine

Powerstation near pipeline that services Hungary was hit
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1592601959965822977?s=20&t=DkHBCnDOt58m5DfN4CkIUw
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1592609947552215040?s=20&t=DkHBCnDOt58m5DfN4CkIUw

I wonder if this is going to have any effects on Orban's stance on Putin.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I think in the US it might actually be legally chalked up as the robber's fault (in part), yes, on the basis that "the robber created the situation in which one might have reasonably predicted this happening." Doesn't mean the police officer gets off scot-free, just that the robber gets part of the blame for that on top of everything else he's blamed for.