Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

This is what I do leaving work every day, licking each long finger and raising it on high afore my exodus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Karate Bastard posted:

This is what I do leaving work every day, licking each long finger and raising it on high afore my exodus

So you work from home?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Paladinus posted:

So you work from home?

Oddly enough, theyre a proctologist

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

that smilie looks a lot like this old simpsons bit

"My face, it is burning" haha

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is not my beautiful wife!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Needs a seaweed wrapper and it’s basically American musubi.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oddly enough, theyre a proctologist

That's more of a hobby really

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

This made me physically ill

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
American musubi already exists:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

freeedr posted:

Maybe you can press this button and go back to before you moved to a random rear end country where you don’t speak the language

I don't know what this person does, but like... You're aware that post WWII Japan is basically protected by the US and in return they have almost no military, right? We have bases there, "American who doesn't speak much Japanese living in Japan" is an extremely normal thing to be.

Also, "fluent in a nation's language" is a SUPER high and weird bar to go live in a place. Enclaves of European retirees in low cost of living countries not doing anything to integrate is weird and gross, sure - but it's not a crime and is in fact cool and good and mutually beneficial to go live in another culture for a while.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No you see if they want live in America Japan they should have to speak English Japanese. Why should I have to press 1 ichi for English Japanese goddamnit!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Japan has a very serious military including some big rear end boats carrying aircraft for which the technical term is of course helicopter destroyer.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I was led to believe Japan has gigantic gently caress-off robots. Sometimes giant lizzards, too.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

aphid_licker posted:

Japan has a very serious military including some big rear end boats carrying aircraft for which the technical term is of course helicopter destroyer.

isn't a helicopter destroyer just a helicopter?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grendels Dad posted:

I was led to believe Japan has gigantic gently caress-off robots. Sometimes giant lizzards, too.

Are those giant monsters your fault too?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mauser posted:

isn't a helicopter destroyer just a helicopter?

You're thinking of gravity.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cocaine Bear posted:

You're thinking of gravity.

thats in poor taste

I know several helicopters that manage to destroy themselves on the ground just fine!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Speaking of choppas

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1592475913224359937?s=20&t=yABkZPNXssudnsP3gQZTNA

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chitin posted:

I don't know what this person does, but like... You're aware that post WWII Japan is basically protected by the US and in return they have almost no military, right? We have bases there, "American who doesn't speak much Japanese living in Japan" is an extremely normal thing to be.

Also, "fluent in a nation's language" is a SUPER high and weird bar to go live in a place. Enclaves of European retirees in low cost of living countries not doing anything to integrate is weird and gross, sure - but it's not a crime and is in fact cool and good and mutually beneficial to go live in another culture for a while.

I do live in Okinawa where the biggest US bases are, but I'm actually a biologist working at a university here. The working language of the institution is English, so I don't need Japanese for my job. I am learning some but tbqh I'm old and constantly busy and Japanese is a ludicrously complicated jackass language that seems to be designed specifically to be hard to learn. I'm slowly acquiring some spoken Japanese but I'm just not even going to bother learning to read it; IMO if you want your language to be read by foreigners you shouldn't use four alphabets (including Romaji).

As for not moving to somewhere where you don't speak the language: nah. Before here I lived in Germany for three years and didn't speak any German when I moved there. It's fun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

a ludicrously complicated jackass language that seems to be designed specifically to be hard to learn

But enough about English!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Chitin posted:

Japan has the 4th most powerful navy in the world

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Solar Tornado posted:

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo

A year before the Power Rangers, Saban Entertainment translated a seventies anime and it aired on cable TV as "Bob in the Bottle". The titular genie was summoned by sneezing, usually screwed up the wishes and he had a fondness... for hamburgers. It's been a while since I saw an episode, but they were probably supposed to be dumplings or onigiri.

The kid who had stumbled on the bottle also liked playing around in kendo armor with a bamboo sword. That sure was an interesting American town it took place in!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Soul Dentist posted:

This poo poo is loving delicious, incidentally.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic, one of the wild things about Okinawa is that Americans basically imported the Taco Bell version of what a "taco" is. Over the decades that has morphed into taco rice

and taco sushi rolls at the konbinis

What's really funny is how they are marketed to mainland Japanese tourists as The Taste of Okinawa, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the hell out of both. It's just so weird that the Japanese bastardization of the American bastardization of Mexican food is seen as one of the signature dishes of the island.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Phanatic posted:

This is not my beautiful wife!

And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house!"

Letting the days go by, snow is falling on the ground
Don't even try to hide, Jack is gonna hunt you down

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

That’s just Spam Musubi.

Or is attributing it as American okay?

I kind of assumed peoples of the Pacific like the Philippines and Hawaii owned that, regardless of Spam usage and American influence.

Midwestern Musubi (for Hotdogs), then?

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Nov 16, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Spam is American even if you serve it in a traditional East Asian rice dish

↓↓correct!↓↓

Soul Dentist has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Nov 16, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Well, Spam Musubi owns.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

I kind of assumed peoples of the Pacific like the Philippines and Hawaii owned that, regardless of Spam usage and American influence.

Yeah I've run across it in Hawaii, Japan and Guam.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Trig Discipline posted:

I think I had it when visiting my cousin in IL. It was a Hawaiian restaurant though.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Trig Discipline posted:

You can buy it in the spam capital of the world, Austin, MN

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Spam is part of pacific culture the same way tomato dishes are Italian; for lack of a better term, it's part of the pacific American diaspora.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

It’s because of WWII.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
:911:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Trig Discipline posted:

While we're on the topic, one of the wild things about Okinawa is that Americans basically imported the Taco Bell version of what a "taco" is. Over the decades that has morphed into taco rice

and taco sushi rolls at the konbinis

What's really funny is how they are marketed to mainland Japanese tourists as The Taste of Okinawa, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the hell out of both. It's just so weird that the Japanese bastardization of the American bastardization of Mexican food is seen as one of the signature dishes of the island.

holy poo poo taco rice is genius and I want to gently caress with this sometime, thank you

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Code Jockey posted:

holy poo poo taco rice is genius and I want to gently caress with this sometime, thank you

It’s called tex-mex

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I flew Japan Airlines Boston to Tokyo two weeks ago and was wondering why I was eating taco rice for breakfast on the plane. The more you know. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wonder if AI can reproduce that kickass Lamborghini poster I got in 1985

Yup, that’s it