Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have thought they would check dental records rather than DNA for that reason. I can believe that non urgent DNA tests have a very long lead time but I would have thought the police would want to hurry it along a bit and so would use another method if they aren't suspecting foul play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lib dems have gone full terf.

https://twitter.com/LibVoice4Women/status/1592290761311399936?t=k66Vn3FK84apeTHP0DTyrw&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gay frog party holding true to its legacy

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
^^^ "debate"

There it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I for one am tired of debate, I have already figured it out and I don't see why I should have to wait for everyone else to catch up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you ever wanted an article that sums up the state of society in one go, here, have it:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/15/major-investor-calls-on-google-owner-to-aggressively-cut-staff-and-pay

Nevermind eating the rich, you'll get prions. Just let them rot in a hole somewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao at a hedge fund demanding that businesses get rid of their cash on hand, no you can't have money to buy things, that reduces your dependency on hedge fund investments.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"tank your company so we can short it with the billions we made off your company. Not too much though, right around our buy price target kthx"

"What about your workers? I don't give a poo poo."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Apraxin posted:

Question for the thread, unfortunately quite a grim one:

Some family friends recently had a relative pass away unexpectedly. Said relative lived some distance away, was a very private person and prone to dropping out of contact unannounced for long periods, and also was relatively young and not thought to have health issues, so unfortunately by the time the alarm was raised they'd been deceased inside their house for several weeks and the body couldn't be formally identified through visual means.

The family submitted DNA for the identification a few weeks ago but hadn't heard anything back, so they called the plod this week and were told the timeframe for formal identification was 'mid-January at the earliest'. They're obviously devastated by this, they can't hold a funeral or do anything to move forward without the identifiaction.

Does anyone know if three months is a normal timeframe for this? A part of the breakdown of public services in the UK generally? Or did they get bad information and should try following up again? Tried looking it up myself but got all kinds of contradictory answers :(.

drat, that's grim. Sympathies. Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to read about death:

My best friend's husband died unexpectedly at the beginning of the year (collapsed in their house, already dead when he hit the floor) and it took a couple of months for the coroner to certify his death wasn't dodgy and release his body for the funeral. So yeah, I can see 3 months as not unreasonable, since I daresay they'll have to be doing all the making sure it was a natural death stuff as well as the ID.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Runcible Cat posted:

drat, that's grim. Sympathies. Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to read about death:

My best friend's husband died unexpectedly at the beginning of the year (collapsed in their house, already dead when he hit the floor) and it took a couple of months for the coroner to certify his death wasn't dodgy and release his body for the funeral. So yeah, I can see 3 months as not unreasonable, since I daresay they'll have to be doing all the making sure it was a natural death stuff as well as the ID.

Close friend of mine, same thing happened to her husband, felt unwell all day and died suddenly and unexpectedly the same evening 64y.o. - took several months for the coroner to certify his death.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

"What about your workers? I don't give a poo poo."
https://twitter.com/debarghya_das/status/1592214346289274880?t=Y_RKi7neGn061tGFODUjVQ&s=19

Combining the face eating leopards / imperial core / me finding out memes to create a marxist grand slam of "I never expected capitalism's enless march of worker exploitation to breach the safety of MY middle class!"

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."

Is it an accident or deliberate that they made this announcement during Trans Awareness week, do you think

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gwaint posted:

Is it an accident or deliberate that they made this announcement during Trans Awareness week, do you think

It's TERFs, always assume the worst

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Some stuff from a BBC article about the scottish gender reform bill

quote:

The Conservatives' Russell Findlay also put forward a number of amendments which sought to prevent registered sex offenders from acquiring a gender recognition certificate.

He said the bill as it stands would allow male sex offenders to change their identities, adding that "prisons are full" of men who seek to exploit loopholes in the law.

He also raised concerns that female victims of sexual offences may have to refer to male attackers as "she or her" in the dock.

Mr Findlay said: "It risks making a mockery of the justice system and re-traumatising victims of sexual violence."

How often has it occurred that a male sex offender or someone in prison has gone on to legally change their gender and then re-offend under the guise of being female? Because this seems to be what the entire thing boils down to - men are going to pretend to be women in order to commit rape, but I've never seen any details on how often this has actually happened.

The other aspect - prisons being full of men looking to exploit legal loopholes. Have any men changed their gender in prison and been moved to a female prison, presumably the implication being they go on to commit sexual violence there?

I know a lot of people will use this argument as a screen for what they really feel, that trans people yuck them out or that it's fake, but if it's going to be endlessly repeated I'd like to know what the actual evidence is.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 15, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gwaint posted:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1592591261520764930

:ironicat:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/debarghya_das/status/1592214346289274880?t=Y_RKi7neGn061tGFODUjVQ&s=19

Combining the face eating leopards / imperial core / me finding out memes to create a marxist grand slam of "I never expected capitalism's enless march of worker exploitation to breach the safety of MY middle class!"

The industry is a lot bigger now though.

Also seems it's mostly Internet commerce companies except for Intel and Netflix/Twitter/Meta, the latter of which did really badly lately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

roomtone posted:

How often has it occurred that a male sex offender or someone in prison has gone on to legally change their gender and then re-offend under the guise of being female? Because this seems to be what the entire thing boils down to - men are going to pretend to be women in order to commit rape, but I've never seen any details on how often this has actually happened.

The other aspect - prisons being full of men looking to exploit legal loopholes. Have any men changed their gender in prison and been moved to a female prison, presumably the implication being they go on to commit sexual violence there?

I know a lot of people will use this argument as a screen for what they really feel, that trans people yuck them out or whatever, but if it's going to be endlessly repeated I'd like to know what the actual evidence is.

As far as I am aware nobody?

Like maybe one person somewhere has done it if you really looked, but when men want to do crimes against women, they just do them. There is no identifiable trend that I am aware of of that happening, it is witch panic nonsense dreamed up by people who are living in a fantasyland in their heads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

roomtone posted:

quote:

"prisons are full"
Huh, yeah, I guess they are.

Probably don't want to be listening to anyone from Russia, Turkey, or Hungary on how to fix that though. Definitely not the USA.

Maybe try Finland, The Netherlands, Norway, or Iceland. Better yet try evidence instead of reaction in general.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

....eh?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If The Conservatives' Russell Findlay wants a solution to any problem that starts with "prisons are full" he'd do well taking advice from places where they are less full than promoting the rhetoric of places where they are more full.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The issue with the claim of the ravening horde of cross dressing sex criminal men (there are a lot of issues with it) is that there isn't really any evidence for it, but the people promoting it don't see that as meaningful, because while a thing that isn't happening wouldn't have any evidence, neither would something being covered up by the wokey leftist UK conservative government and police at the behest of george soros, so who can say which is the case???

You can't really show evidence of things not happening, regrettably. Things not happen all the time and most people not notice.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Technically there's a difference between overcrowding and incarceration rates.

Also UK is weird in that it has some of the strictest penalties in Europe for major crimes but makes up for it by the use of alternative punishment for minor ones, though the latter is definitely a good thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

the use of alternative punishment for minor ones

Problem is we seem to have racism and noncing as minor crimes (ironic given the latter) while protesting misogynistic policing or inconveniencing the rich seems to get you a time at Britmo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63642174

quote:

Twirls substituted in some Heroes chocolate boxes

U FUKN WOT M8 :mad:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Did anyone check if Liberal Voice For Women is an official Lib Dem group? Their twitter has only been around about two years and they don't link to the Lib Dems homepage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Did anyone check if Liberal Voice For Women is an official Lib Dem group? Their twitter has only been around about two years and they don't link to the Lib Dems homepage.

Doesn't really matter as they were celebrating official policy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh have some opulence with your chocco chat by the way.

It's also criminal that Rolo and Munchies are not Heroes in their own right over these ghastly shite Cadbury products.

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products/my-last-rolo-platinum-diamond-limited-edition-mlr-007

There's a gold edition too

I'm the monthly installment plan

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

roomtone posted:

I know a lot of people will use this argument as a screen for what they really feel, that trans people yuck them out or that it's fake, but if it's going to be endlessly repeated I'd like to know what the actual evidence is.

They usually cite "The Swedish Study" as academic proof that trans women are convicted at the same rate as cis men and not cis women, thus proving trans women have a primal genetic urge to commit sexual crimes, which the actual author disagrees with but that's easy to sweep under the rug. From there you can generally just gesticulate wildly at the very existence of trans people in prisons and let general prejudice carry your audience with you. I don't know of any actual figures on violence in prisons specifically broken down by being trans or not.

One would assume that prisons would be wary of housing sexual predators with the types of people they have been known to victimise regardless of gender, but as we all know the police are very polite and woke and such and would never be mean to a prisoner

e: oh btw fun fact, the most recent data i can find for trans women in women's prisons is "March/April 2019", when it was... 11

Angepain fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 16, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm getting a bit nervous about all the messaging around the coming cuts. I mean I always thought Rishi was going to be austerity boy but it doesn't seem to be the best time for it right now, what with the inflation and cost of living crisis.

I'll probably be fine unless I lose my job (which is possible; well hopefully not), but people who rely on benefits maybe not so much.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It seems very obvious that they're going to freeze benefits (again) because the tabloids will lose their loving minds if UC goes up 10% in April. Labour will agree, saying it would be unfair to workers (who they only give a gently caress about when it's a chance to bash people on benefits)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Runcible Cat posted:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Close friend of mine, same thing happened to her husband, felt unwell all day and died suddenly and unexpectedly the same evening 64y.o. - took several months for the coroner to certify his death.

Thanks both of you. I was thinking/hoping that would be the case - was a little thrown off by an experience where my best friend growing up died unexpectedly/mysteriously. Will courtesy spoiler in turn: he was in his second year at uni, one morning he and his roomate woke up and neither could remember the time of their lecture that day, the roomate, who was better at mornings, went to ask another guy who lived down the hall, they chatted for a few minutes then went back together to my friend's room to tell him and found him dead in his bed. It was only a month then between his death and his funeral, which made wonder if something was off this time around, but thinking about it:

a) It was 20 years ago, presumably the procedures have changed
b) He'd been a fit-as-an-ox teetotaller, so there was a lot of concern that it could either be a congenital condition (he had two younger siblings) or something contagious somehow, so the autopsy was done as a matter of urgency by a Home Office pathologist, which would have sped things along. (They still never found a cause of death, the finding at the inquest was basically 'he just died, somehow, but of natural, non-suspicious causes.')

Cheerful topic, eh?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Apraxin posted:

Cheerful topic, eh?

Courtesy spoiler for the same reason:

A close friend of mine was living in a shared house (six people) at university and it was coming up to some exams so it wasn't unusual for people to hole up in their rooms revising. One housemate was doing that but it dragged on for a couple of days so they got worried and knocked on her door. No response. Door was locked. Eventually they broke it down and found her dead. Reason? Carbon Monoxide. The oval office of a landlord hadn't had their boiler serviced and checked in years.

I have no idea how I would deal with that.

The cost of sorting it after her death? £200. Nothing.

I hope you and yours are doing as well as can be expected :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Doesn't really matter as they were celebrating official policy

Looks like it's not a change in policy though, just s rewording. The TERF scum are celebrating that the definition no longer explicitly states that they're not allowed to deadname or misgender trans people, which to them means they're allowed to do it.

https://twitter.com/turpywurpy/status/1592626444588703745?t=mjYt35AhmR-g4QA9SoNEAg&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Technically there's a difference between overcrowding and incarceration rates.
That is true. So despite having the highest per capita incarceration rate in Western Europe, and the highest absolute incarceration numbers throughout most of Europe in general

we're not actually too bad in terms of overcrowding

merely 'full and then a bit', rather than 'dangerously overcrowded', because we built so many prisons to keep all the bad people in :toot:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Looks like it's not a change in policy though, just s rewording. The TERF scum are celebrating that the definition no longer explicitly states that they're not allowed to deadname or misgender trans people, which to them means they're allowed to do it.

https://twitter.com/turpywurpy/status/1592626444588703745

On the one hand, good

On the other, lol those TERFs are definitely Lib Dems as the one thing that party is good at is lying to the public

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only biological sex can win here! [big floppy dong graphic]

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1592234781235888128

More anger and swearing in politics, please.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zarah's awesome and one of the only people giving me any hope for the future of the Labour Party.

So watch as she gets ratfucked by keith

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Zarah's awesome and one of the only people giving me any hope for the future of the Labour Party.

So watch as she gets ratfucked by keith

Didn't they already try to get her deselected by saying she had little support (ie encouraging people to think they should vote for someone else) but she won every ward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe so yeah

I'm assuming the NEC have been plotting how to really gently caress her over next time