Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

baram. posted:

i put a matte protector on my matte screen.

Yo dawg, I herd u like matte so I got u a matte screen protector for yo Dreck so you can game while u game

Gay Retard posted:

I don't regret spending a little more and getting the matte screen + 512GB (no screen protector, thanks), but had no issues suggesting to a friend of mine that he could grab the 64GB version and upgrading the SSD himself after I decided to open my Deck for fun.

Bumhead posted:

That there isn't a bad Deck to buy is a plus. If I had more disposable income, I'd totally have just said gently caress it and gone for the 512GB version. It's just nice to not feel gimped by the cheaper version of a piece of hardware, or not to be permanently restricted by storage sizes at the point of sale.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I preordered the 256 GB model back when we had no idea of the availability or difficulty of the 64 GB eMMC replacement. If I were to buy one today I'd probably get the 64 GB model and replace the eMMC with a 1 TB NVMe SSD immediately--I often do that with laptop and stuff too. For now, though, I'm comfortable enough with the 256 GB model that I don't want to replace it and have to re-setup everything again.

RBA Starblade posted:

I bought the big boy one specifically for the better screen and also knowing I will never attempt to open it up because I am terrible at that

My recommendation for Dreck models is still:
64 - If you're definitely going to immediately swap the internal SSD
512 - If you don't plan to ever upgrade the internal SSD
256 - You're somewhere in the middle, where you're going to use the Dreck as-is for a while but may eventually upgrade the SSD, and 256 GB gives you enough room to play around unlike the 64 GB model.

As stated previously, everyone's going to use an SD card so that's not a factor in choosing the Dreck version.

Gay Retard posted:

Hack your Switch? Bonus points for being able to dump your carts and move your saves over to your Steam Deck easily. I'm one of those weirdos who has to buy physical Nintendo carts for my collection, but now I just keep them sealed and download them instead.

Unless there's been some recent breakthrough I haven't heard about yet, this requires a very early Switch model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense if you're Japanese - they read right to left, so A is before B

Japanese is only read right to left when youre also reading top to bottom so it still doesn't make much sense. Most written Japanese is like English, horizontally left to right.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GTO posted:

Japanese is only read right to left when youre also reading top to bottom so it still doesn't make much sense. Most written Japanese is like English, horizontally left to right.

But the A button is above the B button on Nintendo controllers :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm assuming that online switch games are a no-go with Yuzu (like Splatoon 3)? Nintendo's online system must be able to detect that sort of thing, right?

Edit: nm, I looked it up. Understandable, but drat.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 15, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming that online switch games are a no-go with Yuzu (like Splatoon 3)? Nintendo's online system must be able to detect that sort of thing, right?

Edit: nm, I looked it up. Understandable, but drat.

Yes, and the Yuzu devs have said they have no intention of adding online functionality. Cemu does support online on official servers but I'd guess that's 99% because Nintendo doesn't care about the Splatoon 1 servers any more.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

baram. posted:

i put a matte protector on my matte screen.

Same. Looks great honestly

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In FFXIV, if I touch the screen where there isn't a UI element the camera goes nuts. Is there a way to disable mouse-drag camera or whatever this is?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Man ETS2 actually runs at Ultra settings at around 40-50fps if you run the Windows/Proton version. Native Linux version runs about the same FPS on defaukt settings. Really weird.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Probably the developers putting in less effort into the Linux version

Atomizer posted:

Unless there's been some recent breakthrough I haven't heard about yet, this requires a very early Switch model.

One of these days I'll do that to my switch so I can try and grab the save files, though idk exactly how with existing animal crossing saves. Nintendo not letting you back it up to the cloud is unacceptable

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 15, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Probably the developers putting in less effort into the Linux version

Probably but SCS is stupid dedicated to their games so that might not be it in this case.

ETS2 turned 10 last month and they're still releasing DLC and updates for it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Pentiment seems to run great on the Steam Deck, going to make for a great 'right-before-bed' game!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Looking into trying Pentiment and like the above poster said it seems like a great steam deck game, I have Game Pass, does the cloud streaming stuff work pretty well, I'm assuming without installing windows you can't really install game pass games on the Deck...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah it works great in my experience

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cowman posted:

Man ETS2 actually runs at Ultra settings at around 40-50fps if you run the Windows/Proton version. Native Linux version runs about the same FPS on defaukt settings. Really weird.

How do you choose which version to run?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Disappointing Pie posted:

Looking into trying Pentiment and like the above poster said it seems like a great steam deck game, I have Game Pass, does the cloud streaming stuff work pretty well, I'm assuming without installing windows you can't really install game pass games on the Deck...

That's right, you have to dual-boot windows to run gamepass games.

I messed with XCloud streaming a bit. For me it did not cross the threshold of being playable. It's not awful, but there's noticeable input lag and fuzzy visuals. YMMV based on where you live and proximity to servers, but I doubt it ever gets THAT much better.

Hopefully once google starts selling their Stadia tech these things can improve. I never used Stadia but from what I've heard it was generally a better experience than the other streaming options.

Edit: Oh but for Pentiment in particular it might be totally fine since there's very little call for precision.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Natsuumi posted:

How do you choose which version to run?

Go to Compatibility and tell it to run on Proton Experimental

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Confirmed that OpenGL makes Xenoblade run like rear end but it didn't crash :toot: Gonna try turning those mods back on, maybe that'll help

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cowman posted:

Go to Compatibility and tell it to run on Proton Experimental

:piss:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cowman posted:

Absolutely my experience as well! It's wild how much better the Proton version runs.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
That's often because the "native" version translates a high level language (d3d9 or d3d11) to OpenGL, just as a compile time thing, and translating like that is really expensive. Proton uses dxvk, which instead basically reimplements d3d on top of a very low level API, so the impedance mismatch isn't as severe.

Proper native OpenGL is plenty fast, especially if using modern versions, but that takes more effort. (see also: Id Tech)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

speaking of which, if proton experimental isn't working for a non-playable game, you can try Protontricks. Idk if anybody's mentioned tht in here yet. For horizon's gate here, i'm installing d3dcompiler_47.dll which is something that is in windows but it's not in steamos or proton. once I click OK, the game will probably launch just fine.

The crucial question, of course, is how the hell I'd figure out what's missing for another game where you can't just google the answer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my GPD Win Max 2 a few days ago and it has a 40hz mode built in lol.

40hz is life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's extremely stupid but I want some sort of attachable clamshell screen for this thing

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is everyone’s dpad kind of creaky and squeaky feeling? It’s really distracting to me for some reason.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I went for 256gb ssd + 1tb microsd

I have no desire to rip out the ssd, had a friend who killed their steam deck by attempting the swap.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's also worth booting into Desktop mode and downloading "ProtonUp-Qt" - add it to your Steam Library, and now you can easily download and use Proton GE Custom, which fixes a ton of games that won't run in regular Proton and includes a ton of improvements:

DXVK patched with Async, which can be toggled with DXVK_ASYNC=1
Additional media foundation patches for better video playback support
AMD FSR patches added directly to fullscreen hack that can be toggled with WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1
FSR Fake resolution patch details here
Nvidia CUDA support for PhysX and NVAPI
Raw input mouse support
'protonfixes' system -- this is an automated system that applies per-game fixes (such as winetricks, envvars, EAC workarounds, overrides, etc).
Various upstream WINE patches backported
Various wine-staging patches applied as they become needed

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

I haven't heard any disaster stories replacing the SSD personally, but I went with a 1TB microsd myself and honestly I haven't had any performance issues playing games off of it. I'm sure if I compared side-by-side on a given game SSD performance would win out, but microsd performance is fine itself.

SSD swaps are a great option to have and I know most posters here are comfortable with that route, but if you've got a 64GB Deck and need more space you aren't losing out much with removable storage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

It's extremely stupid but I want some sort of attachable clamshell screen for this thing

They have them: https://smile.amazon.com/Accessorie...s%2C156&sr=8-25

There's several and I actually have a pretty cheap one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

They have them: https://smile.amazon.com/Accessorie...s%2C156&sr=8-25

There's several and I actually have a pretty cheap one.

No, I want it to be a working screen lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MarcusSA posted:

I got my GPD Win Max 2 a few days ago and it has a 40hz mode built in lol.

40hz is life.

From what I've seen all the upcoming handheld PCs have heard the gospel of 40hz by now and are trumpeting that they'll have it implemented day 1.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

stuker posted:

I haven't heard any disaster stories replacing the SSD personally, but I went with a 1TB microsd myself and honestly I haven't had any performance issues playing games off of it. I'm sure if I compared side-by-side on a given game SSD performance would win out, but microsd performance is fine itself.

SSD swaps are a great option to have and I know most posters here are comfortable with that route, but if you've got a 64GB Deck and need more space you aren't losing out much with removable storage.

My only problem is those proton shader caches can bubble up and take a lot of space on the boot drive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else find they have to unplug their SD from being docked once in a while because otherwise the battery health steadily decreases

but then you let it get as close to 1% battery left and plug it in, and suddenly the battery health can go back up to 100%?

My phone and iPad aren't anywhere near this bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

It's also worth booting into Desktop mode and downloading "ProtonUp-Qt" - add it to your Steam Library, and now you can easily download and use Proton GE Custom, which fixes a ton of games that won't run in regular Proton and includes a ton of improvements:

DXVK patched with Async, which can be toggled with DXVK_ASYNC=1
Additional media foundation patches for better video playback support
AMD FSR patches added directly to fullscreen hack that can be toggled with WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1
FSR Fake resolution patch details here
Nvidia CUDA support for PhysX and NVAPI
Raw input mouse support
'protonfixes' system -- this is an automated system that applies per-game fixes (such as winetricks, envvars, EAC workarounds, overrides, etc).
Various upstream WINE patches backported
Various wine-staging patches applied as they become needed

I need to do this because some of the games I’ve tried don’t work and this was the recommended fix.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
As far as I remember, the chain of patches is wine (super conservative), wine-staging (stuff too spicy for wine proper), then valve builds proton off of those patches in addition to their own, and then GE goes and puts his own spicy patches on top.

It's a very Open Source way of building something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

speaking of which, if proton experimental isn't working for a non-playable game, you can try Protontricks. Idk if anybody's mentioned tht in here yet. For horizon's gate here, i'm installing d3dcompiler_47.dll which is something that is in windows but it's not in steamos or proton. once I click OK, the game will probably launch just fine.

The crucial question, of course, is how the hell I'd figure out what's missing for another game where you can't just google the answer.

You use steamdb and check the depots section for the game which lists all the redistributables needed to run it, and then choose them accordingly from the list of tricks.

If the game isn’t on steamdb then :shrug:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

homeless snail posted:

You can try Ryujinx, I think its in the Discover store now. IDK I haven't played XBC3 yet but it is compatible with games differently than Yuzu.

Am I right in thinking that Switch emulation is still kinda hit and miss?

I tried a few games on Yuzu and only one booted up but the others booted up OK on Ryujinx (though framerate was temperamental).

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Had a close call with my Deck yesterday. Ended up stuck in a blank screen state. The logo would display at boot but then.. nothing. Was like it for about 7 hours and no amount of re-starts, power downs or accessing the bios screen would sort it.

Decided to power it on but leave it in its "bricked" state, and it magically just sprung back to life.

Tense day. So relieved it's back.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bumhead posted:

Had a close call with my Deck yesterday. Ended up stuck in a blank screen state. The logo would display at boot but then.. nothing. Was like it for about 7 hours and no amount of re-starts, power downs or accessing the bios screen would sort it.

Decided to power it on but leave it in its "bricked" state, and it magically just sprung back to life.

Tense day. So relieved it's back.

I've had that logo freeze thing too. Generally it happened after I transferred files across to it via anydesk, and then moved files from the internal storage to external.

It would then freeze on shutdown, and need a hard restart.

Then when it booted, the WiFi was disabled, but another restart after that would fix it.

I'm wondering if there's some funky stuff with the WiFi that can prevent it from booting up properly seeing as it always logs into your account as the first thing it does.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

No, I want it to be a working screen lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmAsNZDwjU

It's doable, but... uhh... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mfers will spend thousands of dollars instead of buying a ds