Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/FlyGoalScoredBy/status/1592685847270543361?t=CO3mpAU3ScavJ7YQCmQx1g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

ESPN says Torts has a bruised lip, cheek, and possibly a broken nose from getting kicked in the face by a horse.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat, Giroux having a nice start, 8g 9a so far.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lmbo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jake Bean and Elvis are dead for Columbus tonight and we aren't even to the 2nd intermission. Still 20+ minutes for a sinkhole to open! :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Not Important posted:

I have even more respect for the Isles fans who undertook the grueling odyssey westward to the blasted hellscape abandoned by God that we know as :vomarine: Newark, New Jersey :barf:

TBH the Devils arena is insanely easy to get to which nothing on Long Island is....

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Rejoice the Penguins are bad :toot:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Matt Murray with 34 saves and a point from a late round draft pick.

The Leafs are rolling, and they are ready to take on the world.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mcmagic posted:

TBH the Devils arena is insanely easy to get to which nothing on Long Island is....

Newark Penn is the nicest New*rk Penn station.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is how I feel about the Penguins this year except take out the "right now" at the end

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jake Bean and Elvis are dead for Columbus tonight and we aren't even to the 2nd intermission. Still 20+ minutes for a sinkhole to open! :suicide:

Andrew Peeke is now hurt. :psyboom:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rejoice the Penguins and Capitals are bad :toot:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Caps got caved in during the first period, sure, but they were by far the better team in 2nd and especially the 3rd. I was pretty impressed. Bob was the only thing that stopped them from winning that one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wrong thread, but refs bad, film at 11.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This is so fun the Devils are unstoppable

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

PS John Marino, that's all

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

Mfw I think about this trade

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Turns out he wasn't the problem and might have been a very load bearing piece. :shepicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That blue uniform the habs were wearing looks cool on TV. Maybe not for that specific team because the canadiens are meant to be red. But in general, it's a neat hockey kit.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

That blue uniform the habs were wearing looks cool on TV. Maybe not for that specific team because the canadiens are meant to be red. But in general, it's a neat hockey kit.

They look like cozy pajamas

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1592714286908198913
https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1592714902489399296

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Clearly, what Columbus needs to do to win games is sacrifice 2-3 players a game to IR.

It was Blankenburg, Werenski, and Gudbranson two games ago. Tonight, Elvis, Bean, and Peeke.

Looking forward to cheering on the Kalamazoo K-Wings in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Turns out he wasn't the problem and might have been a very load bearing piece. :shepicide:

It also turns out--and I cannot believe I am writing this--that Mike Matheson's skating and aggression, bless his clueless heart, might have been a crucial element to the beating of bad teams that is required to reach the playoffs.

I don't think Matheson is good and never will, but it probably should have been foreseen that trading 25- and 27-year-old defensemen for 32- and 35-year old defensemen when they already had the oldest team in the league would be a disaster. Especially on special teams.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 16, 2022

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lol

Also I think Washington needs to undergo a strategic one-year tank or something at this point. I know a lot of things can happen in ~60 games but they put themselves so far behind teams like CAR, NJ, and NYI and you have to figure NYR and probably PIT to some degree are going to improve.

Try to snag a lottery pick this year and try to reload for the final few years of Ovie.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
VGK not looking good these past two games. No defense and no scoring gets you nowhere!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
drat the Pens sure are bad.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm so mad I wasn't able to watch the sharks beat the golden knights tonight what a completely unexpected and embarrassing loss

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
devils own

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks have four guys on pace for 40 or more goals (Horvat is on pace for 68!) with the 6th best powerplay and yet sit 29th overall in the league because they are averaging 4.06 GAA and a 67% PK lol.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Krime posted:

drat the Pens sure are bad.

They sure are.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It also turns out--and I cannot believe I am writing this--that Mike Matheson's skating and aggression, bless his clueless heart, might have been a crucial element to the beating of bad teams that is required to reach the playoffs.

I don't think Matheson is good and never will, but it probably should have been foreseen that trading 25- and 27-year-old defensemen for 32- and 35-year old defensemen when they already had the oldest team in the league would be a disaster. Especially on special teams.

Going from each pairing having 1 player that could skate the puck and create space for themselves/the team to 0 seems less than ideal with a coach that loves for his defensemen to be incredibly involved in transition and maintain offensive zone pressure seems less than ideal.

I will also, forever and always, moan and bitch and point out that the cap usage has not been as efficient as needed. Paying Rutta 3.2 per to basically provide the same ice time and outcomes as Ruhwedel did last year for 1/2 the price is lol. HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED makes 3.2 to be scratched and seemingly incapable of playing hockey at a NHL level.

It seems wild that the Pens have 4 players producing at or above PPG right now and yet they're so bad. Hell even Carter has 8 points in 13 games. The prevention side though......WOOOOOF.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens look their age that's for sure. I would advocate for sacking Sullivan based on how they look just to see if this team has any other kind of life in it, but they just extended Sully so that is not going to happen. I think he's a great coach but when a team is struggling this badly there just aren't many other cards to play.

But since they just extended him they will almost certainly ride this out. I don't think there's a 20-3-4 streak in them this year to make up for a bad start like they did last year. When you look at the Metro, they likely have to be better than at least one of the Isles/Rangers/Canes/Devils to make the playoffs, and I do not think they are unless they dramatically improve over the rest of the season.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

lol

Also I think Washington needs to undergo a strategic one-year tank or something at this point. I know a lot of things can happen in ~60 games but they put themselves so far behind teams like CAR, NJ, and NYI and you have to figure NYR and probably PIT to some degree are going to improve.

Try to snag a lottery pick this year and try to reload for the final few years of Ovie.

I think the Caps are constitutionally incapable of standing down. Like they have never really done anything other than try and win since Ovi joined the team.

They have so many contracts coming off the books after this season that they really could do a minor tear-down at the trade deadline and shoot for a high draft pick. But just lol at a Lavy team ever, for example, punting on Lars Eller and Marcus Johansson so they could actually give McMichael ice time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sullivan isn't just the best coach the Penguins have had since Scotty Bowman, he's the only good coach the Penguins have had since Scotty Bowman.

I think there will likely be a mutual agreement to let him out of his contract to pursue other opportunities next summer. But I'm in no hurry to see him go. It could be another 25 years to the next Penguins coach who knows what he's doing.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks have four guys on pace for 40 or more goals (Horvat is on pace for 68!) with the 6th best powerplay and yet sit 29th overall in the league because they are averaging 4.06 GAA and a 67% PK lol.

The Sens have 5 forwards at or just shy of PPG, but they're tied for 32nd overall because the defence sucks and they've lost 9 games by 1 goal (not counting empty net goals).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens look their age that's for sure. I would advocate for sacking Sullivan based on how they look just to see if this team has any other kind of life in it, but they just extended Sully so that is not going to happen. I think he's a great coach but when a team is struggling this badly there just aren't many other cards to play.

But since they just extended him they will almost certainly ride this out. I don't think there's a 20-3-4 streak in them this year to make up for a bad start like they did last year. When you look at the Metro, they likely have to be better than at least one of the Isles/Rangers/Canes/Devils to make the playoffs, and I do not think they are unless they dramatically improve over the rest of the season.

Burke and Hextall didn't do him any favors and with seemingly a bunch of players all deciding to hit the age wall and fall off the cliff at the same time well that's going to be very difficult to coach around. Which Sullivan has been trying to do.

But, Sid/Guentzel/Rust all deciding to completely abandon defensive positioning or Letang/Dumoulin being incapable of a zone exit or Petry turning the puck over on a stretch pass for the 3rd time because he double clutches....not much you can do there. The first powerplay unit has been utter garbage all year and a big part of their conversions have been the 2nd unit getting goals either from Zucker or Rakell.

This team needs an injection of speed and fast, but on the track record so far I'm not sure if Hextall will be able to pull it off.

Edit: I do think that Sullivan needs to revisit his matching schemes though, because is top vs top and 2nd vs 3rd and Carter vs 2nd isn't working out.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 16, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The track record from the past year or two strongly suggests Hextall isn't making these decisions, Burke is. I'll be surprised if Hextall is still there come August.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Penguins would be silly to fire Sullivan, they aren’t a team that’s tuned him out or can’t get motivated by him anymore, they’re just old and don’t have the young legs in the lineup that can carry the team for portions of the game. They have to rely on the old guard to win the games, and shocking I know, it isn’t working right now. If there was a case for load management to be made in the NHL this team would be the poster child, but they just can’t do it. It’s not like bringing in another coach will solve these issues, and the team clearly supports him.

If Sullivan wanted out I’d understand, but much like the contract they gave Rust for six years but no trade protection after the third year, I think Sully is there for at least that long.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Burke and Hextall didn't do him any favors and with seemingly a bunch of players all deciding to hit the age wall and fall off the cliff at the same time well that's going to be very difficult to coach around. Which Sullivan has been trying to do.

But, Sid/Guentzel/Rust all deciding to completely abandon defensive positioning or Letang/Dumoulin being incapable of a zone exit or Petry turning the puck over on a stretch pass for the 3rd time because he double clutches....not much you can do there. The first powerplay unit has been utter garbage all year and a big part of their conversions have been the 2nd unit getting goals either from Zucker or Rakell.

This team needs an injection of speed and fast, but on the track record so far I'm not sure if Hextall will be able to pull it off.

Edit: I do think that Sullivan needs to revisit his matching schemes though, because is top vs top and 2nd vs 3rd and Carter vs 2nd isn't working out.

Sullivan should break up GCR because it has struggled mightily for quite a while now. And probably break up the top PP unit too or at least maybe make at least somewhat of a change to that like swapping Rakell and Rust or...something. Anything. It's been so bad and Sullivan is stubbornly sticking with it. It's hard to win without functioning special teams. The Pens have at least improved their pk somewhat, but the pp continues to cost them games.

I don't see a speed injection coming. There's no prospects chomping at the bit to play, and the have nothing to trade.

Schremp Howard posted:

Penguins would be silly to fire Sullivan, they aren’t a team that’s tuned him out or can’t get motivated by him anymore, they’re just old and don’t have the young legs in the lineup that can carry the team for portions of the game. They have to rely on the old guard to win the games, and shocking I know, it isn’t working right now. If there was a case for load management to be made in the NHL this team would be the poster child, but they just can’t do it. It’s not like bringing in another coach will solve these issues, and the team clearly supports him.

If Sullivan wanted out I’d understand, but much like the contract they gave Rust for six years but no trade protection after the third year, I think Sully is there for at least that long.

I think the terrible PP and the bad line combinations can be traced back to the coaching staff but whether those would improve with a new coach, I don't know. In either case they just extended him so I don't think he's going anywhere so they'll ride this out and see what happens

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is so fun the Devils are unstoppable

They are going to finish 79-3-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I would put Zucker on the top powerplay and considering swapping the matchups of Malkin/Zucker/Rakell against top line and GCR with the easier match up. Either Rust has a nagging injury or he's lost a few step and there is almost no replacement in the line up for him.