Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
Duda's official statement is that there's no reason to suspect a deliberate attack, there's no evidence for the missile to be launched by Russia and it's likely it was a tragic accident with an Ukrainian missile. Morawiecki followed up with the same.The investigation is ongoing, for whar it's worth.

They also said they don't currently see the need to invoke article 4 but they're not completely abandoning the option. Not a peep on article 5.

Biden apparently also said it was an Ukrainian missile but that's only from unofficial sources so far.

I feel like this should put to bed the notion that Poland will immediately escalate and cause a nuclear war :rolleyes: But I'm definitely still relieved, it was a scary night and morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I feel like Zelensky got ahead of himself with his statement last night, was way too bullish given that we now know it was a Ukrainian mistake and it's going to add more fuel to the fire for Russian conspiracy theories.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like Zelensky got ahead of himself with his statement last night, was way too bullish given that we now know it was a Ukrainian mistake and it's going to add more fuel to the fire for Russian conspiracy theories.

It would’ve been too bullish in the majority of plausible scenarios where it would’ve turned out to be a Russian cruise missile, to be honest.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 16, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would’ve been to bullish in the majority of plausible scenarios where it would’ve turned out to be a Russian cruise missile, to be honest.

What are the chances of an AA missile hitting a tractor in the middle of a field? Tractors were significant also in memes of the early stages of the war. :tinfoil:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would’ve been to bullish in the majority of plausible scenarios where it would’ve turned out to be a Russian cruise missile, to be honest.

Oh totally, but we expect him to respond aggressively to Russian actions given the context. Now it just makes him look like a bit of a hypocrite or a dumbass.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yeah, probably the first obviously bad moves I've seen him do. Not that it's going to do much, but Russia propaganda team is probably very happy right now.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
If Russia did not launch a war of conquest against Ukraine, then no Polish farmers would be dead because of Russian actions against Ukraine. Nobody but the Kremlin and their loyal supporters are going to be nitpicking the words and reaction of Zelensky because of this.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Given the absolutely hosed up space that Ukraine has been expected to operate in, in terms of decorum, the military/civilian situation, and what's politically palatable to western powers, Zelenskyy and the broader Ukrainian administration have been absolute bloody saints

You get a hundred times as many fuckups that are a hundred times as bad from western leaders that are supposed to be leading the world in political and diplomatic maneuvering, and here's Ukraine on the 'periphery' struggling to fight a defensive war against a genocidal regime and showcasing what is imo a masterclass in international relations. Yeah there have been fuckups but on the whole if someone was trying to make a tv show about this whole thing it'd be dismissed as masturbatory West Wing nonsense

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

What are the chances of an AA missile hitting a tractor in the middle of a field? Tractors were significant also in memes of the early stages of the war. :tinfoil:

Maybe it was a paid tractor?

Dick Ripple posted:

If Russia did not launch a war of conquest against Ukraine, then no Polish farmers would be dead because of Russian actions against Ukraine. Nobody but the Kremlin and their loyal supporters are going to be nitpicking the words and reaction of Zelensky because of this.

Stolteberg also agrees.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

mmkay posted:

Maybe it was a paid tractor?

A crisis tractor? :rimshot:
(Shamelessly stolen from the GBS thread)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A crisis tractor? :rimshot:
(Shamelessly stolen from the GBS thread)

A false :belarus: flag even!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1592632386751434752

good look Ukraine

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Dick Ripple posted:

Absolutely. I personally think the best thing Ukraine can do is apologize for the a cident and point out that it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Russia.

This is completely the wrong way to handle things, especially when U.S. intelligence backs up that it was from Ukrainian air defense and Poland agrees with it

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 16, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Whom you are responding to with this? Is someone here blaming the farmers’ deaths on Ukraine already?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

My take on it is that it was most definitely a russian missile, but ole biden and putin had a call on their freshly reinstalled red phone, and decided they were both very stupid and should pretend like it didn't happen.

Next time this happens won't be so friendly.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

go play outside Skyler posted:

My take on it is that it was most definitely a russian missile, but ole biden and putin had a call on their freshly reinstalled red phone, and decided they were both very stupid and should pretend like it didn't happen.

Next time this happens won't be so friendly.

It was probably Russian-made, as they said, the S-300 is Russian made, it was made in the RSFSR

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This the unfortunate blowback effect from the prudent use of info campaigns, sometimes it works too well and popular consciousness exceeds policy use

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
All this is very unfortunate and I don't understand why Ukraine needs to be so combatative about accepting it was their missile. I mean, I understand that they would like NATO to provide their anti-air defence/extend coverage to Western Ukraine, but it would be easier to do from the position of acknowledging what happened and asking for help in order to avoid this happening again. Nobody's blaming Ukraine anyway.

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Nenonen posted:

What are the chances of an AA missile hitting a tractor in the middle of a field?

There's a non-zero possibility that the rocket 'found' something with a heat signature on ground and hit it. I'd put this at a very low probability but it's still there. It predicates on the missile being the right variant and in the right phase of flight. Think old-Macdonald having the only tractor slightly running hot kilometers away from anything else.

We might never know how exactly it hit that particular tractor. Tracking a missile this close to the ground is not possible. Aka they might have tracking info on it while it still had some altitude, but once it went down below 500m they don't know what it did.

To me the more interesting question is when and where the intercept of the russian missile it was after was supposed to happen? Did the russian missile fly towards the border, the S300 followed it, the russian missile detonated somewhere else on its own or self-destroy and then the S300 became lost?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heat signature isnt relevant for this missile.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Brain65 posted:

There's a non-zero possibility that the rocket 'found' something with a heat signature on ground and hit it. I'd put this at a very low probability but it's still there. It predicates on the missile being the right variant and in the right phase of flight. Think old-Macdonald having the only tractor slightly running hot kilometers away from anything else.

S-300s do not track heat or have any kind of IR sensor.

There have been now thousands of Russian missiles fired and hundreds to thousands of interceptors fired. This is not the first object to land outside Ukraine, just the first one to happen to hit a populated area.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

There have been now thousands of Russian missiles fired and hundreds to thousands of interceptors fired. This is not the first object to land outside Ukraine, just the first one to happen to hit a populated area.

Second if you count what likely was an AD target practice drone, the Tu-141 that crashed in Zagreb back in March.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

All this is very unfortunate and I don't understand why Ukraine needs to be so combatative about accepting it was their missile. I mean, I understand that they would like NATO to provide their anti-air defence/extend coverage to Western Ukraine, but it would be easier to do from the position of acknowledging what happened and asking for help in order to avoid this happening again. Nobody's blaming Ukraine anyway.

Note the timestamps.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Second if you count what likely was an AD target practice drone, the Tu-141 that crashed in Zagreb back in March.

There was debris or full missile landing in Moldova also recently.

https://twitter.com/nicupopescu/status/1587036599300366336

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

Note the timestamps.

They're still doubling down

https://twitter.com/OleksiyDanilov/status/1592854121887203330

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_missile_system#Sea-based_S-300FM_(SA-N-20) - the naval version is believed to have infrared terminal seeker. Ukraine doesn't have that one though; point being if they can identify the exact type they might figure out who fired it. The fact that NATO as a whole seems to want to de-escalate and Ukraine wants to save face for yelling for 12 hours 'the Russians did it' doesn't help identify who fired the missile.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
oops

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 16, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1592847819320487936

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Brain65 posted:

. The fact that NATO as a whole seems to want to de-escalate and Ukraine wants to save face for yelling for 12 hours 'the Russians did it' doesn't help identify who fired the missile.

Do you suspect the Russian Navy fired a missile into Poland and NATO governments are lying to cover it up?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Was this supposed to go in the OSHA thread or something?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
That doesn't sound like doubling down, it's call for joint investigation and sharing of information, which is more prudent than what Duleba tweeted earlier. Maybe they really have reason to believe it was Russian missile.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dwesa posted:

That doesn't sound like doubling down, it's call for joint investigation and sharing of information, which is more prudent than what Duleba tweeted earlier. Maybe they really have reason to believe it was Russian missile.

An investigation to prove the "russian tracks" on the incident, it's exactly the muddying the waters the Russians would do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

And I mentioned topaz just once…

This is the guy who runs mouth so much that he single-handedly lost his party a re-election a month and a half ago, and is literally paid to shitpost while the coalition talks go on. Down from 4th largest party at 12,04% vote to below the parliamentary threshold.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Tomn posted:

Was this supposed to go in the OSHA thread or something?

yes. sorry

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Do you suspect the Russian Navy fired a missile into Poland and NATO governments are lying to cover it up?

Not at all; personally I think Ukraine fired some S300 to intercept something and it landed way off because their rockets are poo poo from 40 years ago or they lost it over the horizon and couldn't destroy it. And they would have been better off to not tweet right away and instead wait 12 hours before mouthing off any conclusions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Brain65 posted:

Not at all; personally I think Ukraine fired some S300 to intercept something

Same.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

FishBulbia posted:

An investigation to prove the "russian tracks" on the incident, it's exactly the muddying the waters the Russians would do.
I think it is a sign of backing down without losing their face, because some Ukrainians might believe that blaming it on Ukrainian S300 is just NATO's cover-up so NATO won't get too involved in the war. After some hasty initial comments, pretty much everyone currently calls for further investigation.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 16, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The NYT Magazine has an extremely long, well-researched but also kind of boring, article about the Ukrainian train network, in case that is up anyone's alley: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/15/magazine/ukraine-trains.html

Nothing particularly new but it's a good personal interest piece. Way too long to copy and paste here; if you don't have a subscription then just stop the loading after the article loads but before the paywall loads.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Saladman posted:

The NYT Magazine has an extremely long, well-researched but also kind of boring, article about the Ukrainian train network, in case that is up anyone's alley: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/15/magazine/ukraine-trains.html

Nothing particularly new but it's a good personal interest piece. Way too long to copy and paste here; if you don't have a subscription then just stop the loading after the article loads but before the paywall loads.

As someone else mentioned (maybe here) you can also just Google the title of the article and clicking the Google result doesn't seem to stop you from looking at unlimited articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You're Goddamn right we love trains.

Here's a non-paywalled version:
https://archive.ph/A4ght