Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I guess Cuno as a sassy fennec fox is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So why did Ruby think Harry was in leagues with El Madre? Fed bad info to spook her? Can that change if you actually play as a dirty cop? Can stuff at the end regarding Harry's background change based on stuff you do/pick? Part of it felt like it could be modular, because gym teacher felt very tailored to Motor/Phys, but I suppose Kim could just find it strange if it feels ill-fitting to the character you play out. Part of me also wondered if Harry's lover could be something that's variable based on how much attention you give those thoughts, but I feel more doubtful about that. Thinking about it a bit critically now, I'm assuming nothing in you background does change, since I think the point is supposed to be Harry's past not mattering to who Harry makes himself now.

I'm watching someone's playthrough and it's fantastic picking up on lots of little very deliberate phrasing/word choices. Such as being able to tell Kim he's "cramping your style" - and I think that phrase also gets used/can be chosen when describing personal belongs you lost/parted ways with.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't know if your first question is really fully explained. I think you already have a reputation as the human can-opener, Ruby knows they have cops on the payroll, and just in general she's afraid that someone's coming after her and is just waiting for the other shoe to drop so her paranoia fills in the rest. If you talk to Jean at the end he rightly notes that no crime boss would want someone as completely unstable as you

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Kim also states that he doesn’t believe you are in Puta Madre’s pocket if you ask him. At least if you’re a decent cop, he does. Not sure if that changes if you play as a corrupt or useless cop.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

I don't know if your first question is really fully explained. I think you already have a reputation as the human can-opener, Ruby knows they have cops on the payroll, and just in general she's afraid that someone's coming after her and is just waiting for the other shoe to drop so her paranoia fills in the rest. If you talk to Jean at the end he rightly notes that no crime boss would want someone as completely unstable as you

Someone who would solve every and all mystery in his organization.

Also.
"drat, the rival org took out one of our capos."
"BUT WHAT IF I KILLED HIM AND LOST ALL MEMORY OF IT!?"
"Harry, you were passed out drunk in my garden when the hit happened, we know cause we spent all night untangling you from the hedgerow."
"Good alibi, ALMOST TOO GOOD!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oxyclean posted:

So why did Ruby think Harry was in leagues with El Madre? Fed bad info to spook her? Can that change if you actually play as a dirty cop? Can stuff at the end regarding Harry's background change based on stuff you do/pick? Part of it felt like it could be modular, because gym teacher felt very tailored to Motor/Phys, but I suppose Kim could just find it strange if it feels ill-fitting to the character you play out. Part of me also wondered if Harry's lover could be something that's variable based on how much attention you give those thoughts, but I feel more doubtful about that. Thinking about it a bit critically now, I'm assuming nothing in you background does change, since I think the point is supposed to be Harry's past not mattering to who Harry makes himself now.

Paranoid people jumping at shadows and coincidence happens. She wasn't taking any chances. Irrational fear can make eating a double barrel seem like your only option. Sadly.

Also, with assumptions, someone I know was sure the crab man was El Puta Madre's guy but that seemed pretty racist to me.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It’s very out of character but I keep wondering if Kim is working for Puta Madre. Why I think maybe

-Ruby thinks one of the cops is working for Puta Madre. She might have a good reason to think that, maybe she got tipped off.
-Ruby reasonably assumed out of the two visiting cops, the drunk mess is the corrupt one. But Kim tells you you’re not with Puta Madre. But…how could he be so sure?
-The light bending guy is not fully visible to the poor. Kim can see him just fine.

I don’t think it’s likely. But it does kind of bother me as a possibility.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It makes sense in the DLC when you find out that Puta Madre wants to destroy all the pinball machines

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Best Friends posted:

-The light bending guy is not fully visible to the poor. Kim can see him just fine.

I think they say it’s relative wealth for this one. Harry’s bank account is nothing. Kim could easily be multiple orders of magnitude wealthier than Harry without being particularly wealthy. I mean, Kim doesn’t have to raise funds to not die of exposure in a dumpster.

It’s like the saving for retirement advice. There is a threshold where the response to: “you should save 10% of your income changes from “yeah probably” to “gently caress you”

Harry’s “gently caress you” poor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Harry owns a house, he just can't remember anything so he has no access to his life.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's also possible that there really isn't any kind of light-bending effect and it's just your brain being dumb/making a metaphor and then taking it completely literally.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It's also possible that there really isn't any kind of light-bending effect and it's just your brain being dumb/making a metaphor and then taking it completely literally.

But he's bending the light before you know he's rich. And he talks about bending the light so he's aware of the effect?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How much richer than Joyce must light-bending guy be?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sebzilla posted:

How much richer than Joyce must light-bending guy be?

Eccentrically rich, wealthy even. There is a meaningful distinction there where the light-bending guy will only give you money if it's gonna get him a net return. Where Joyce gives you money to grease wheels. It is orders of magnitudes.

Look at the situations they are both in, Joyce has responsibilities and a job as it were while the light bender just sits in a shipping container traveling around the world but disconnected from people and uh the world, with no actual responsibilities. Kinda a metaphor.

quote:

When comparing rich vs. wealthy people, the way they approach money matters. Rich people may see money as a means to buy things and maintain a certain lifestyle. Wealthy people, on the other hand, may view money as a means of creating more money, either through investments or business ventures.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think they say it’s relative wealth for this one. Harry’s bank account is nothing. Kim could easily be multiple orders of magnitude wealthier than Harry without being particularly wealthy. I mean, Kim doesn’t have to raise funds to not die of exposure in a dumpster.

It’s like the saving for retirement advice. There is a threshold where the response to: “you should save 10% of your income changes from “yeah probably” to “gently caress you”

Harry’s “gently caress you” poor.

Harry used to work as a teacher, now he is a fairly high ranking police officer. He is middle class by every metric. He just seem poorer because he lives in a poor part of the world, and because he drank away all of his money.
Hell, he is almost certainly debt free after he paid Garte.
He is in the same moderate income, black zero wealth, lower middle class situation as Homer Simpson.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look everything that Harry perceives is totally real

The mrlbg is as real as Harry's ability to teleport to the top of the feld building

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think you can find out how much an RCM officer makes annually, granted, Harry is a higher rank so probably makes a bit more. He's probably better off then most anyone in Martinaise, but the vibe felt like he was not all that well off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The RCM doesn't have a union so...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You need a certain amount of income to have the kind of substance abuse habit Harry has and yet still function.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Even Kim agrees police officer gets paid poo poo in the Zone of Control though. With how RCM came to be, the funding provided by the coalition is probably minimal and donation is probably not enough to bridge the gap.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look everything that Harry perceives is totally real

The mrlbg is as real as Harry's ability to teleport to the top of the feld building
I like how there's these clear examples of stuff where even the player is seeing the same crazy thing as Harry, and they always let Kim be the voice of sanity to explain what's going on outside of Harry's head.

It made the (endgame spoiler) Phasmid hit real hard. Of course Harry would hallucinate the Insulindian Phasmid at that point in the story point. It's almost not even shocking. When Kim says he can see it too it that instantly shifts the player's understanding of the situation. Something truly magical is actually happening.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I'm watching someone's playthrough and it's fantastic picking up on lots of little very deliberate phrasing/word choices. Such as being able to tell Kim he's "cramping your style" - and I think that phrase also gets used/can be chosen when describing personal belongs you lost/parted ways with.

All her interactions were with psycho Harry before the game started so she probably assumed the openly tweaked out cop running around trashing everything and pointing his gun at people is acting that was because he’s got complete impunity on account of being on the take from the biggest psycho crime kingpin in town.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought she said she was out of dodge the moment Harry rolled into town with his squad. Presumably before he went off the rails and told them they were cramping his style.

Regarding Harry: While Kim hand waves some of the weirder stuff...I kind of got the vibe from some of the pale sidestory stuff that there might actually be something up with Harry. I don't remember if it was Shivers or Esprit, but one or both describe things happening that you shouldn't have knowledge of (eg: near the end game, your fellow officers preparing for the evaluation) - there's also what feels like a ton of weird little random things that pay off - you could chalk it all up to coincidence and gut feelings, but given Harry's hosed up brain, part of me almost wonders if there's supposed to be some level of "Harry is in tune with memories that aren't only his" or something, although, I don't think there's much to suggest Harry is actually pale-exposed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oxyclean posted:

I thought she said she was out of dodge the moment Harry rolled into town with his squad. Presumably before he went off the rails and told them they were cramping his style.

Regarding Harry: While Kim hand waves some of the weirder stuff...I kind of got the vibe from some of the pale sidestory stuff that there might actually be something up with Harry. I don't remember if it was Shivers or Esprit, but one or both describe things happening that you shouldn't have knowledge of (eg: near the end game, your fellow officers preparing for the evaluation) - there's also what feels like a ton of weird little random things that pay off - you could chalk it all up to coincidence and gut feelings, but given Harry's hosed up brain, part of me almost wonders if there's supposed to be some level of "Harry is in tune with memories that aren't only his" or something, although, I don't think there's much to suggest Harry is actually pale-exposed.

Put more points into Shivers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's also the possibility that the light-bending effect is real but you have to have a certain level of sensitivity to pick perceive it. IIRC there's a conversation where your brain suggests that Kim has an exceptionally low conceptualization and even at his lowest stats I think Harry is more sensitive to all pale and all the paranormal type stuff than the average person.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

There's also the possibility that the light-bending effect is real but you have to have a certain level of sensitivity to pick perceive it. IIRC there's a conversation where your brain suggests that Kim has an exceptionally low conceptualization and even at his lowest stats I think Harry is more sensitive to all pale and all the paranormal type stuff than the average person.

Yeah, Kim is very Wasteland of Reality as a baseline.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Put more points into Shivers.
Can you elaborate? I don't think I'll find time for a second playthrough.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oxyclean posted:

Can you elaborate? I don't think I'll find time for a second playthrough.

More points into Shivers probably wouldn't help illuminate anyways but there is literally something to this. I haven't cracked it myself fully I don't think, still have PALE UNKNOWN i can't figure out yet... but got Trant to theorize that Harry is like a magnetic tape rubbing against all of Revochal. Literally absorbing thoughts and emotions and why he has a preternatural instinct to investigating. Not sure what triggers this or if it's something in all playthroughs.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 16, 2022

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MariusLecter posted:

More points into Shivers probably wouldn't help illuminate anyways but there is literally something to this. I haven't cracked it myself fully I don't think, still have PALE UNKNOWN i can't figure out yet... but got Trant to theorize that Harry is like a magnetic tape rubbing against all of Revochal. Literally absorbing thoughts and emotions and why he has a preternatural instinct to investigating. Not sure what triggers this or if it's something in all playthroughs.

uhhh I didnt get that feel from the Trant conversation at all, he was just trying to explain how hosed in the head Harry is

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

VictualSquid posted:

Harry used to work as a teacher, now he is a fairly high ranking police officer. He is middle class by every metric. He just seem poorer because he lives in a poor part of the world, and because he drank away all of his money.
Hell, he is almost certainly debt free after he paid Garte.
He is in the same moderate income, black zero wealth, lower middle class situation as Homer Simpson.

Wealth is not determined by income or lack of debt, it is determined by wealth. Harry has almost none of it. Kim, by comparison, seems likely to have a reasonable amount.

That Harry could have wealth if he wasn't such a fuckup doesn't seem super relevant.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

frajaq posted:

uhhh I didnt get that feel from the Trant conversation at all, he was just trying to explain how hosed in the head Harry is

Yeah, my take was that he was just suggesting that the contestant grinding of the work Harry did, with the material conditions of the world as they were, that maybe what Harry did to himself was actually a perfectly logical reaction. Which is maybe the single most damnining statement of the status quo given.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, my take was that he was just suggesting that the contestant grinding of the work Harry did, with the material conditions of the world as they were, that maybe what Harry did to himself was actually a perfectly logical reaction. Which is maybe the single most damnining statement of the status quo given.

WHY NOT BOTH (DOT) GIF

e;
Everyone is drunk and miserable, so Harry being drunk and miserable makes him the BEST drat COP ON THE FORCE!

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on my second playthrough tonight after work. I JUST CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS GOD drat GAME!

Still debating between a 4 - 4 - 2 - 2 or 5 - 4 - 1 - 2. I know I want to focus on INT for all the encyclopedia lore stuff but also want enough PSYCHE for the talking tie .

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hmm, is it quite easy to actually gently caress up your run?

I've been putting level ups mainly into thoughts, but I've failed a few checks that have blocked things off and I'm sitting around on the second day with nowhere to go and unsure what to do.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I've been putting level ups mainly into thoughts, but I've failed a few checks that have blocked things off and I'm sitting around on the second day with nowhere to go and unsure what to do.

As long as you have enough to pay your rent you should be okay. You will find other tasks that may open up a few more checks/re-open old checks along with skill ups. On day 3 the map opens up a bit more so you'll have more to do.

Read a book or your old case notes if you need to pass a little time, just make sure you have your room at the whirling paid through night 2 before spending time on misc tasks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There should still be something you can do to earn more xp. Have you talked to the representatives of both sides of the docks dispute? Investigated the local shops? If you've explored thoroughly and talked to everyone and still can't get anywhere you can pass time until the next day by reading books or case files over and over. More of the game opens up on the third day.

efb

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

I don't remember if it was Shivers or Esprit, but one or both describe things happening that you shouldn't have knowledge of (eg: near the end game, your fellow officers preparing for the evaluation) - there's also what feels like a ton of weird little random things that pay off - you could chalk it all up to coincidence and gut feelings, but given Harry's hosed up brain, part of me almost wonders if there's supposed to be some level of "Harry is in tune with memories that aren't only his" or something, although, I don't think there's much to suggest Harry is actually pale-exposed.

It's pretty heavily implied Harry somehow used the Swallow in the church to nuke his memory, in which case "pale-exposed" is one hell of an understatement.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Staltran posted:

It's pretty heavily implied Harry somehow used the Swallow in the church to nuke his memory, in which case "pale-exposed" is one hell of an understatement.

This also explains why he drove his team away; they knew about it too (or at least Jean did) and would have stopped him.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Some more news came out about ZA/UM today: It's Fraud!

https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1592944559021252609
Link to English article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
drat it, I keep forgetting who is whom in this situation.