Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We're an authoritarian parliamentary monarchy. They're an authoritarian absolute monarchy. Learn the difference idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

I've definitely seen one a few times, it would be late 60s/early 70s. Don't know what it was doing, but my parents seemed to think it was quite normal.

Probably something to do with the nuclear war civil defence preparations.

Now I've got Frankie's two tribes going round in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1HC8pHZw0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if barrage balloons will stop a nuke.

Possibly if you had a very large one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if barrage balloons will stop a nuke.

Possibly if you had a very large one.

Don't think they would have been to stop it, maybe some experiment to do with fallout or something. Just randomly trying to guess why barrage balloons might have been used in the UK post-WW2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They could be observation balloons, which were similar except you have a man on it with binoculars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you point at them and say "those are big balloons" they're observation balloons, if you say "they might be something to do with the nuclear war civil defence preparations" they're speculation balloons.

Tesseraction posted:

We're an authoritarian parliamentary monarchy. They're an authoritarian absolute monarchy. Learn the difference idiot
One uses Celsius, the other uses Kelvin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

They could be observation balloons, which were similar except you have a man on it with binoculars.

Or they could have a magistrates court on board, in which case they're trial balloons.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Or the person claiming to have seen them could be making it all up. Hot air balloons.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

e: lol musk, I hope he's the only one left after this week:
'“Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade,” Musk wrote.'
This reminds me of a small business tyrant criticising me for leaving at 5 - "I work 6am until I go to sleep, I don't see why you get to clock off early!" It's fairly simple mate, you make hundreds of thousands of pounds a year and it directly correlates to the hours you put in. I make 20k, and that doesn't go up if I work outside my contracted hours.

Figures that Musk's only real disruption turned out to be ignoring labour laws, funny how tech keeps reinventing that one weird trick.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

One of these costs £18

Mine's already paid for itself many times over, and it's much kinder for middle aged intimate sensitivities

I just use paper to dry

Out of professional interest what's this called? Portable bidet?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Looks disturbingly similar to my water flosser. Which is arguably too high pressure to turn on my bum

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

Out of professional interest what's this called? Portable bidet?

I think so. This particular model is called the 'HappyPo'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I know how that one works, you pay 'HappyPo' but then they send you the cheque back from 'Arse Ticklers Fanclub'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also this is the first result I found and I really hope that's referring to the colour otherwise it's going nowhere near.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you shove it up there and really give it a good scrubbing?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

That is true. So despite having the highest per capita incarceration rate in Western Europe, and the highest absolute incarceration numbers throughout most of Europe in general

we're not actually too bad in terms of overcrowding

merely 'full and then a bit', rather than 'dangerously overcrowded', because we built so many prisons to keep all the bad people in :toot:

I would have thought it was worse with all the BBC stories about "failing prisons" but I never bothered to look into the numbers myself.

Maybe it's really uneven? Or another case of 'don't trust what you see on the news blindly'.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 16, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are definitely some worse than others, and some services that are just falling to poo poo.

Replacing HMP staff with Serco 'guards' all over the place didn't help either.

But it's possible to be 'worse than Poland and better than France, a bit like Greece' at prisons while still being very bad.

OwlFancier posted:

Do you shove it up there and really give it a good scrubbing?
*sat in A&E trying to explain how I got a pint of unleaded in my rectum that was violently expelled over the scented bath candles leading to a fuel-air explosion for hygiene reasons*
*the guy next to me who exploded his colon with a garage air compressor, also for hygiene reasons, looks relieved*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Also this is the first result I found and I really hope that's referring to the colour otherwise it's going nowhere near.

At least it's loud

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Po is German slang for arse btw so it's basically called "HappyBum"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

At least it's loud

franco
Jan 3, 2003

With a little modification that's probably a decent backside bean-firer for people whose old chap isn't working so well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My aunt was a prison guard for many years and loved it, has many stories that sound as if she considers inmates to be actual people worth talking to and hearing from. Mind you my uncle also did the same job and it destroyed him physically and mentally.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

My aunt was a prison guard for many years and loved it, has many stories that sound as if she considers inmates to be actual people worth talking to and hearing from. Mind you my uncle also did the same job and it destroyed him physically and mentally.

The duality of man.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
What I'd like to know is why the inmate on terminal care for lung cancer, unable to breath and up to their eyeballs in morphine still needs to be cuffed to their deathbed with a 6 foot slab of muscle present at all hours.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

What I'd like to know is why the inmate on terminal care for lung cancer, unable to breath and up to their eyeballs in morphine still needs to be cuffed to their deathbed with a 6 foot slab of muscle present at all hours.

What if the thoughts and prayers start working and they get loose?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Z the IVth posted:

the cruelty is the point

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Met have conceded defeat over the secret 'gangs matrix' :toot:

quote:

The Metropolitan Police Service has agreed to overhaul its controversial Gangs Violence Matrix, admitting that it needs ‘wholesale change,’ after a landmark legal case brought by Liberty on behalf of Awate Suleiman and UNJUST UK forced them to concede that the operation of the Matrix was unlawful.

In a win for the human rights organisation and its clients, the Met has admitted that the Matrix breached the right to a private and family life. Personal data of those on the Matrix is shared broadly with third parties – putting them at risk of over-policing, school exclusion, eviction, and in some cases being stripped of welfare benefits, deportation or even children being taken into care.

The Met have also accepted that Black people are disproportionately represented on the Matrix and that efforts to address this have not worked, with the latest review of the Matrix showing that 80% of those named on the Matrix were Black.

The case was due to be held at the Royal Courts of Justice next week. However, the Metropolitan Police Service has agreed to an overhaul of the list, with more than a thousand names to be removed as a result of the legal action.

As part of the settlement, the Met has also agreed that those removed from the database will be able to apply to find out what data was held on them. However, Liberty have warned that hundreds may never know that their data was held in the first place, and have encouraged those who have experienced repeated stop and search and any of the other ‘enforcement actions’ taken against people on the Matrix to submit a Subject Access Request to the Met to find out if they are or were ever on the Matrix.

People have been added to this Matrix simply because of who their friends are, where they live, or because they have been a victim of crime. Once on the list, their data could be shared with third parties including the Home Office, local authorities, the DWP, housing providers, schools and the DVLA – leading to really serious and potentially life-changing consequences.

As a result of this case, the majority of people have now been removed from the Matrix, and those people will be able to ask the Met what data was held about them. Many of those people won’t know that their data was held, so if you’ve been repeatedly stopped by the police, or have any reason to suspect that you might have been on the matrix, we would encourage you to submit a Subject Access Request to the Met to find out.

The secret untouchable list of Black people was, on reflection, slightly racist, admit police.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1592801188277538818?t=zoJGlb8r4gbhcZUjpn-FqQ&s=19

Interesting breakdown, the full email is quoted further down the thread:

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1592903415159353344?t=m8BIdRuuIbakMKXBwjHpJQ&s=19

My hope is that things get so inhumanly bad he ends up strengthening workers rights.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You're not hardcore
Unless you tweet hardcore
But the legend of the rent(-seeking)
Was way hardcore

E: Gergely Orosz is a Star Wars name

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

One of these costs £18

Mine's already paid for itself many times over, and it's much kinder for middle aged intimate sensitivities

I just use paper to dry

It you've already got a water jet flosser you can use that and save even more money

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Deketh posted:

Looks disturbingly similar to my water flosser. Which is arguably too high pressure to turn on my bum

:argh:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Musk’s remaining staff tomorrow…

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wait... did lowtax?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Guavanaut posted:

Wait... did lowtax?

Does getting a call from the Secret Service because they think your users might be considering it count?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That was just classic LF.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't it turn out they had no record of that ever happening?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Nah, that was just the standard response to any FOI request that wasn't perfectly formatted. Jeffrey confirmed a month or two ago that he'd found the emails talking about it, and an account from around the time registered to a Secret Service email.

EDIT: here's the quote

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*ignores whatever this is*

Okay I have 100% proof the secret service thing happened - privately I thought it was kinda dumb that people concluded it was a lie so readily, but now I have documentation. I have emails to radium from lowtax saying they visited the office to drop off a federal subpoena that day, and making them the account. This is the account https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=170309 and it's complete with a secret service email address. It hasn't been logged into since 2010 which is the year this all went down.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

roomtone posted:

just go to aldi they cost like £3-4 for 9 rolls depending on how thick you want them

Who Gives A Crap still at £44 for 48 rolls, which is cheaper than the pricier Aldi rolls.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Freudian posted:

Nah, that was just the standard response to any FOI request that wasn't perfectly formatted. Jeffrey confirmed a month or two ago that he'd found the emails talking about it, and an account from around the time registered to a Secret Service email.

EDIT: here's the quote
Like I'm gonna trust a user called "Just kidding, Somethingawful" to be real. Jeffrey just added that fake user into the database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like I'm gonna trust a user called "Just kidding, Somethingawful" to be real. Jeffrey just added that fake user into the database.

I do not believe you could do that without accidentally adding FYAD flags to all forums and beecocking all the mods.