Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was going to laugh at this idea because Kyler just got a new contract but... it looks not terrible for trading even next year. I dont know what wizardry they used to make his contract that tradeable but it looks like they did it.

They offered Kyler more CoD time each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think Kyler is...fine. He's firmly above the Dalton line and can actually win games, but he's far from elite. He's probably on the Derek Carr/Dak Prescott tier, mostly competent and good, occasionally even great, but also makes dumb mistakes and really needs good coaching and a solid core around him to succeed. And that "good coaching" part is why all three of them have like one playoff victory between them.

I don't have faith in Kliff. He should be the expendable one of the two. Yeah, the Cards can do better than Murray, but I think they can do much better than Kliff. The offense looks so god drat uninspired when they're missing players like Nuk, and the team has constantly underperformed in the second half of seasons under him. This should be a great opportunity to take the division with the Rams vulnerable, the Niners kinda muddled a bit, and the Seahawks kinda rebuilding, yet they're currently third with an underwhelming 4-6 record and yet again are probably gonna miss the playoffs. There's nothing really inspiring about the Cards besides a few key players on offense and defense doing a load of the work, the coaching itself is pretty meh and uninspiring and probably the bigger factor in how bad they really are.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol almost feel bad for Mark Davis.

But nahhhhhh

It’s time, Mark.

Sell the minivan.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Re: the Chargers

I just don't know anymore. Anthony Lynn seemed to do more with less compared to Staley, who got the team to go all-in on this season and go aggressive in FA this year. Lynn was incompetent with game management, hosed up playcalling, no O-Line for Herbert his first year, special teams buffoonery, and so much more. As a head coach, Lynn was terrible but still got his team to fight in every game. Staley is proving to be uninspiring, and it feels like this team just gives up on him. Also, loving hell the defense. The only upside this year is that the special teams unit is significantly better than it has been in years past. Which is to say it's still bad, but has made plays every now and then.

if Lombardi gets fired, that starts the timer for Staley, and quite possibly Telesco. Tom Telesco has had 3 head coaching hirings, I don't think he gets a 4th unless it's Sean Payton. And even then, I don't know if he gets to stick around if Payton wants someone else. I guess this is a whole lotta fuckin words to say:

Sell the goddamn team, Spanos.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Not gonna lie, I want Herbert to do well, which is why I hope the chargers lose out and get rid of Staley and bring in payton.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mega64 posted:

I think Kyler is...fine. He's firmly above the Dalton line and can actually win games, but he's far from elite. He's probably on the Derek Carr/Dak Prescott tier, mostly competent and good, occasionally even great, but also makes dumb mistakes and really needs good coaching and a solid core around him to succeed. And that "good coaching" part is why all three of them have like one playoff victory between them.

I don't have faith in Kliff. He should be the expendable one of the two. Yeah, the Cards can do better than Murray, but I think they can do much better than Kliff. The offense looks so god drat uninspired when they're missing players like Nuk, and the team has constantly underperformed in the second half of seasons under him. This should be a great opportunity to take the division with the Rams vulnerable, the Niners kinda muddled a bit, and the Seahawks kinda rebuilding, yet they're currently third with an underwhelming 4-6 record and yet again are probably gonna miss the playoffs. There's nothing really inspiring about the Cards besides a few key players on offense and defense doing a load of the work, the coaching itself is pretty meh and uninspiring and probably the bigger factor in how bad they really are.

i feel the exact opposite of Kyler & Kliff. I'm starting to think Kyler is Russell Wilson esque in that he is garbage at playing within the structure of an offense and just wants to freelance constantly. Kliff i don't think is incredible but he's somehow keeping them from hitting rock bottom in spite of that

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 17, 2022

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There should be way more firings. Let’s goooo

I thought Hackett should be fired in week 1. That decision he made at the end of the game had me saying "this guy needs to get fired already".

He's got to go.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Sirriani should be hot seat after that loving shameful commodores game on Monday. No excuse.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EconDad posted:

I thought Hackett should be fired in week 1. That decision he made at the end of the game had me saying "this guy needs to get fired already".

He's got to go.

The counterpoint being that he had gotten to see Russ at practice for several months and knew before the rest of us that he was utterly cooked, and that an absurd field goal might actually be the better call.

This is not a defense of Hackett, he loving sucks, just frosting on the Denver lolcake

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Docjowles posted:

The counterpoint being that he had gotten to see Russ at practice for several months and knew before the rest of us that he was utterly cooked, and that an absurd field goal might actually be the better call.

This is not a defense of Hackett, he loving sucks, just frosting on the Denver lolcake

Incredibly long field goals. Let's ride.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Asproigerosis posted:

Sirriani should be hot seat after that loving shameful commodores game on Monday. No excuse.
Source your quotes

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

I agree, the eagles should strip their team for parts and any trades done in the last 9 months are now null and void.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Source your quotes
It's from the streets, Philadelphia will not tolerate coaching staff that are failing the dream team.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

I agree, the eagles should strip their team for parts and any trades done in the last 9 months are now null and void.

Why stop at 9 months? Nullify any trade they've made in the last few years if any picks are still pending.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

It's from the streets, Philadelphia will not tolerate coaching staff that are failing the dream team.

The Patriots will be happy to trade you multiple persons with head coaching experience, the son of the greatest coach of all time, and possibly Josh McDaniels futures if Sirianni wants to come be our OC

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Docjowles posted:

The Patriots will be happy to trade you multiple persons with head coaching experience, the son of the greatest coach of all time, and possibly Josh McDaniels futures if Sirianni wants to come be our OC

Throw in a copy of Bill's Comp Picks for Dummies and you've got a deal.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nobody's talking about it because nobody's thought about it, but Jim Harbaugh to Denver is going to be this off-season's big move.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Simplex posted:

Nobody's talking about it because nobody's thought about it, but Jim Harbaugh to Denver is going to be this off-season's big move.

Russ and Jim are going to start strangling each other midway through the 2nd preseason game. I just feel like Harbaugh will not get along with a personality like Russ's at all.

Plus Russ is campaigning to bring in Brian Schottenheimer, someone who should absolutely not be running an NFL offense. If Russ gets his way, which seems likely given his contract, no halfway decent coach is going to want Schottenheimer on their staff.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

syzpid posted:

Plus Russ is campaigning to bring in Brian Schottenheimer, someone who should absolutely not be running an NFL offense. If Russ gets his way, which seems likely given his contract, no halfway decent coach is going to want Schottenheimer on their staff.

Denver's stuck with Russ, but after this season I don't thing anybody in the organization is really going to give much of a poo poo about what he wants, or making him happy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here's some names for coaching vacancies.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1593223696659152903?s=20&t=aeozUEV6Jy2YV6XQe8cbWA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lots of former players on that list, and also a lot of coaching nepotism with loads of sons-of-former-coaches there.

Noticed a name, though:

quote:

49ers offensive passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik, 35

I went to school with this kid when his dad was a coach with the Packers in the early 00s. He is dumb as rocks. I'm shocked he actually made headway in the NFL.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

I think Kyler is...fine. He's firmly above the Dalton line and can actually win games, but he's far from elite.

This is the third season where kyler has leg injuries halfway through the season, if he can't stay healthy then it doesn't matter what tier he's on.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Simplex posted:

There's actually been some buzz in the Indy media about Harbaugh coming in to coach the Colts.

He meets all the qualifications: former player for the franchise,

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lots of former players on that list, and also a lot of coaching nepotism with loads of sons-of-former-coaches there.

Noticed a name, though:

I went to school with this kid when his dad was a coach with the Packers in the early 00s. He is dumb as rocks. I'm shocked he actually made headway in the NFL.

His name is Slowik. Apparently fits perfectly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShakeZula posted:

There's actually been some buzz in the Indy media about Harbaugh coming in to coach the Colts.

He meets all the qualifications: former player for the franchise,

Jim Harbaugh is completely insane but totally straight edge, I honestly don't know if that fits completely perfectly for a relationship with Jim Irsay or the other way.

He would run Jonathan Taylor into the ground though, which is probably pretty good for winning games if you can keep him alive.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 17, 2022

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Ballard is a bigger obstacle in Indy than Irsay. I don't think Harbaugh even picks up the phone if he doesn't get to have his guy as GM.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grittybeard posted:

Jim Harbaugh is completely insane but totally straight edge, I honestly don't know if that fits completely perfectly for a relationship with Jim Irsay or the other way.

He would run Jonathan Taylor into the ground though, which is probably pretty good for winning games if you can keep him alive.

Would Harbaugh be interested in leaving Michigan at this point? He's finally got a top 10 program and things seem to be good for him

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Simplex posted:

I think Ballard is a bigger obstacle in Indy than Irsay. I don't think Harbaugh even picks up the phone if he doesn't get to have his guy as GM.

If I had to put money down one way or the other right now, I'd bet on Ballard getting fired at the end of the season too, so I don't know how big of an obstacle that would be.

Harbaugh's moves last offseason definitely indicate he'd like to go back to the NFL but only if he gets to run the show. Comedy option is Harbaugh comes in as HC with full roster control, Saturday moves to GM as more of a figurehead.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Noticed a name, though:

There's a quote from former coach Jim fassel that goes something like "there are no geniuses in the NFL. We're phys ed majors coaching other phys ed majors"

I think about that from time to time when I get surprised by how dumb different players can be

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Would Harbaugh be interested in leaving Michigan at this point? He's finally got a top 10 program and things seem to be good for him

Hes enough of a psycho that not sinning a SB would probably be gnawing at him.

Id take him in Carolina in a heartbeat

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think the Colts would hire Harbaugh and give him what he wanted unless Saturday somehow pushes the team into the playoffs.

I really think the Colts strategy is going to be to see if they can get Lamar and if they do, stick with the roster they have and make a few tweaks. If they miss out, they'll not tear everything down yet, but they'll set everything into motion to try and get Arch Manning in a few years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Harbaugh would be an okay head coach I think but he absolutely needs a reasonably innovative OC. Don’t know why he would leave Michigan if they do well this season though.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Michigan was going to fire him if he didn't take a big pay cut before last season. I don't really see him as a guy who doesn't hold grudges. He was going to take the Vikings job, but they jerked him around.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Are you telling me all those years of cheap haircuts and eating at PF Changs didnt save enough money to fund the Raiders?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Are you telling me all those years of cheap haircuts and eating at PF Changs didnt save enough money to fund the Raiders?

I don't for one moment believe he's broke

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Simplex posted:

Michigan was going to fire him if he didn't take a big pay cut before last season. I don't really see him as a guy who doesn't hold grudges. He was going to take the Vikings job, but they jerked him around.

He was going to take the Vikings job if they offered it to him, which they didn't do once it was clear that he thought it was owed to him outright. The reports were that he didn't take the interviews seriously and it rubbed everyone the wrong way. He's always going to be a high profile, probably high drama hire, and the Vikings decided it wasn't really worth it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's a difference between Mark Davis having money and the Raiders as an organisation being cash poor.

All player money basically sits in escrow iirc plus all of the money they're paying out to former coaches. Can't imagine they're broke but having a couple hundred mill sitting there would put a dent in your liquidity.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

who ya crappin

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlindSite posted:

There's a difference between Mark Davis having money and the Raiders as an organisation being cash poor.

All player money basically sits in escrow iirc plus all of the money they're paying out to former coaches. Can't imagine they're broke but having a couple hundred mill sitting there would put a dent in your liquidity.

I side with the people saying Davis could come up with the money to hire a new coach if he wanted to. When you are NFL Owner rich you can always get more cash. Whether that's super low interest loans from your buddy who owns the bank, selling a bunch of stock which you were going to sell at a loss anyway to offset capital gains or whatever, or just swapping favors. He is choosing not to. I can't totally blame the guy for not wanting two loving enormous dead albatross contracts to pay out over the next 5+ years in addition to a brand new coach's contract. But maybe he should consider not hiring these insane personalities who are all name, no game, yet command massive salaries.

in conclusion,

R.D. Mangles posted:

who ya crappin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can simultaneously believe both that he's cash-poor but also sitting on an effectively limitless line of credit, considering the asset he can borrow against.