Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Tldr Nintendo should quit the bullshit dripfeed and package an emulated version of all their old games with their remakes or just make a premium emulator program.

I mean the thing is that his/her/etcs point isn't incompatible with the evolution of the art either. I think they're only actually concerned with the fact that you don't also get to have an emulated version of the Gameboy version with it so you can look at that too and say 'wow these are so different'.

For better or worse the jank was part of it (and there's gonna be little quirks of 3d gameplay also), and even if you hate jank the original art and sound design are still worthy of consideration just as much as the new one's.

Which I doubt is a position something anyone was arguing unless Elon Musk or some other ridiculous hot house tomato somehow drunkenly stumbled into the forums to spew a weirdly sheltered opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Breathlessly rushing into the fantasy video game thread to admonish posters for enjoying art the wrong way!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

thechosenone posted:

Tldr Nintendo should quit the bullshit dripfeed and package an emulated version of all their old games with their remakes or just make a premium emulator program.

I mean the thing is that his/her/etcs point isn't incompatible with the evolution of the art either. I think they're only actually concerned with the fact that you don't also get to have an emulated version of the Gameboy version with it so you can look at that too and say 'wow these are so different'.

For better or worse the jank was part of it (and there's gonna be little quirks of 3d gameplay also), and even if you hate jank the original art and sound design are still worthy of consideration just as much as the new one's.

Which I doubt is a position something anyone was arguing unless Elon Musk or some other ridiculous hot house tomato somehow drunkenly stumbled into the forums to spew a weirdly sheltered opinion.

My point indeed is that our current gamer culture and business models actively bury and erase works of art that do not maximize consumer satisfaction and corporate profit. Buggy games are "fixed" and games based on older technology are "improved" or replaced, often with no legal recourse for accessing the original works. This happens because gamer taste is so poor and hostile to discomfort that gamers demand remakes and remasters and patches for everything, which companies are happy to provide at a premium price.

Very few people argue, consciously and out loud, that the Game Boy version of Link's Awakening is worthless garbage nobody would want to play. But the consumer market certainly treats it that way, as evidenced by the fact that Nintendo won't sell it to you because they'd rather sell you the remake for 60 dollars.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

do you think they're gonna show a new zelda trailer at the game awards

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

My point indeed is that our current gamer culture and business models actively bury and erase works of art that do not maximize consumer satisfaction and corporate profit. Buggy games are "fixed" and games based on older technology are "improved" or replaced, often with no legal recourse for accessing the original works. This happens because gamer taste is so poor and hostile to discomfort that gamers demand remakes and remasters and patches for everything, which companies are happy to provide at a premium price.
no it doesn't. this happens because capitalism.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

being a tasteless Gamer chud as I suggest that it's bad that I am permanently softlocked in the TP cannon room

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

romanowski posted:

maybe? being six months out from the supposed release date makes it at least plausible

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

romanowski posted:

They will, alongside an announcement the game is delayed again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

given that TotK is going to be a direct iteration on BotW's world and mechanics, it's good for that act of vandalism to be held off as long as possible

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
How am I already seeing covers of the TotK theme? Is there a full theme in that trailer or was something released separately?

Incidentally, Zelda & Chill III came out and I'm not a fan of the non-MM tracks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

often with no legal recourse for accessing the original works.

gently caress what's legal, bootleg all the poo poo you want to play and can't purchase because it's not available or you can't afford it. God bless software for always being accessible one way or another incredibly easily.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

gamer taste is so poor and hostile to discomfort that gamers demand remakes and remasters and patches for everything

Human beings are strongly nostalgic creatures. People cover music they like, remake movies from their youth, a massive amount of any content creation platform like Dreams/Mario Maker/Minecraft is recreations of the first level of Mario and Sonic etc, even fashion comes back around. That's just human nature. Nostalgia is an emotion you feel, you don't really control it.

DoctorWhat posted:

Nintendo won't sell it to you because they'd rather sell you the remake for 60 dollars.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-dx-3ds/
It is $6 dollars right now on the Nintendo 3DS, which is readily available at all online retailers.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

You can also play Link’s Awakening on the Zelda Game & Watch, though I only use mine as decoration.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-dx-3ds/
It is $6 dollars right now on the Nintendo 3DS, which is readily available at all online retailers.

That's the DX version, obviously a crime against the auteur's original vision.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

romanowski posted:

does nintendo even show up for those any more? i thought they mostly just did their own directs at their own schedule

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Electromax posted:

Just a heads up that they've been winding down purchase functionality and it will end completely next March. I think in its current state you can still purchase games but not add eshop credit through your 3DS, I assume you can still add credit elsewhere if you have it tied to a nintendo account but I'm not certain.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Amppelix posted:

no it doesn't. this happens because capitalism.

This. The one thing I will not broker is the idea that 'gamers' as a group are somehow with major agency here. The common man/woman is no more ignorant than they were 30 years ago (and if anything is slightly more aware of some subjects, however narrow or shallow such understanding may be).

This is entirely the fault of the cancer that is corporare intellectual property and it's progenitor known as Capital.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Game and Watch version of Link's Awakening is the non-DX one based on the website. lol that this whole thing got kicked off by a game that's currently one of the most commercially accessible in its older versions.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Shiroc posted:

The Game and Watch version of Link's Awakening is the non-DX one based on the website. lol that this whole thing got kicked off by a game that's currently one of the most commercially accessible in its older versions.

Also the whole debate started by someone reacting negatively to another poster apparently preferring the version on the Game & Watch over the Switch version.

Personally I think the Game Boy original, whether monochrome or DX, is extremely good and all the minor annoyances can be easily overlooked, but also that the Switch version smoothes over some of the rough edges very nicely, especially: more buttons more good. But some other changes are not so great.

Regardless I do think this back-and-forth about games as art is pretty ridiculous by now...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes: Go on…

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Really? That's awesome. I'll have to look into one, I have a huge soft spot for the OG version since I never played DX until much later on virtual console. I didn't really pay attention to the G&W release so I thought it just had the NES games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

thechosenone posted:

This. The one thing I will not broker is the idea that 'gamers' as a group are somehow with major agency here. The common man/woman is no more ignorant than they were 30 years ago (and if anything is slightly more aware of some subjects, however narrow or shallow such understanding may be).

This is entirely the fault of the cancer that is corporare intellectual property and it's progenitor known as Capital.

Actually I think you will find that the truth is that I am extremely smart and everyone other than Me is a blind idiot. Thank you.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The Hobbit is one of the most important fantasy novels ever created. It's impossible to overstate its influence and impact as a work of art

It has also been updated almost to the point of a total rewrite no less than three times since its initial 1937 release. In the first release, the ring Bilbo finds is just a plain old magic ring, not the One Ring. Gollum is a pretty nice guy and he helps Bilbo out and they part ways as friends. Elves are silly tricksters or total assholes ala Shakespearean elves, high elves are called gnomes, there are anachronisms like clocks and matchsticks, and the coin purse Bilbo tries to steal off a troll yells out in alarm like something out of Harry Potter

You could dig your heels in and claim that the 1937 1st edition is the only one worth reading, and that preferring the later editions is on par with cultural vandalism. But it takes only the tiniest bit of context of Tolkien's history to understand the how's and why's of the situation, and any attempts to dismiss later editions or to consider them lesser pieces of art is absolutely absurd

and if The Hobbit is allowed patches and remakes and a big 2.0 update that ties it to its sequel, then so can games

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

does nintendo even show up for those any more? i thought they mostly just did their own directs at their own schedule

I think their previous presence at the game awards was mostly influenced by reggie so I don't actually expect them to show anything. but, what if......

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

WarpDogs posted:

The Hobbit is one of the most important fantasy novels ever created. It's impossible to overstate its influence and impact as a work of art

It has also been updated almost to the point of a total rewrite no less than three times since its initial 1937 release. In the first release, the ring Bilbo finds is just a plain old magic ring, not the One Ring. Gollum is a pretty nice guy and he helps Bilbo out and they part ways as friends. Elves are silly tricksters or total assholes ala Shakespearean elves, high elves are called gnomes, there are anachronisms like clocks and matchsticks, and the coin purse Bilbo tries to steal off a troll yells out in alarm like something out of Harry Potter

You could dig your heels in and claim that the 1937 1st edition is the only one worth reading, and that preferring the later editions is on par with cultural vandalism. But it takes only the tiniest bit of context of Tolkien's history to understand the how's and why's of the situation, and any attempts to dismiss later editions or to consider them lesser pieces of art is absolutely absurd

and if The Hobbit is allowed patches and remakes and a big 2.0 update that ties it to its sequel, then so can games

This isn't quite right for the published versions.

The biggest change was the second edition (1951) having Riddles in the Dark rewritten to make it fit with the upcoming Lord of the Rings. The original version was treated in fiction as a lie that Bilbo told from the first publishings of Lord of the Rings. There were a few other small bits changed here and there, but most everything else that doesn't quite fit Lord of the Rings got left, like the Elves being trickster dicks and the Trolls being goofy.

Tolkien did start to write a version to fully match the style, tone and setting of Lord of the Rings but abandoned it pretty quickly because it didn't work.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ya-ha-ha! :poop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

romanowski posted:

I think their previous presence at the game awards was mostly influenced by reggie so I don't actually expect them to show anything. but, what if......

Nintendo has skipped the VGAs since, I think, 2019, and they haven't done E3 in ages (not since 2013). The occasional Directs seem to be their preferred method of announcements, now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Electromax posted:

Human beings are strongly nostalgic creatures. People cover music they like, remake movies from their youth, a massive amount of any content creation platform like Dreams/Mario Maker/Minecraft is recreations of the first level of Mario and Sonic etc, even fashion comes back around. That's just human nature. Nostalgia is an emotion you feel, you don't really control it.

The 3DS store is going away, though, and that console is dead.

There's nothing wrong with replacing old works of art with new iterations so long as you still offer the old ones. I thought we all figured that out long ago when Lucas kept weirding up Star Wars and to date you still can't buy — or even stream — the originals.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

The 3DS store is going away, though, and that console is dead.

There's nothing wrong with replacing old works of art with new iterations so long as you still offer the old ones. I thought we all figured that out long ago when Lucas kept weirding up Star Wars and to date you still can't buy — or even stream — the originals.

Nintendo doesn't George Lucas much, but it does like to reissue things very slowly because that's just how they roll. GB games I'd really like to see multiplayer for even moreso than any of the systems currently available through NSO—I'm sure they consider the fact that it's not even really the complete experience sometimes without the Link Cable support, delaying the reissuing of these libraries

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spellman posted:

Nintendo doesn't George Lucas much, but it does like to reissue things very slowly because that's just how they roll. GB games I'd really like to see multiplayer for even moreso than any of the systems currently available through NSO—I'm sure they consider the fact that it's not even really the complete experience sometimes without the Link Cable support, delaying the reissuing of these libraries

Nintendo has rehashed their games since Super Mario All Stars on the SNES, SM64 got a different version for rumble support on the same console even. Recently we've had HD remakes of Zelda titles on the Wii U, and the Switch library is filled with re-releases with added content, poo poo the current Mario Kart is just a Wii U title and all of it's DLC is remade tracks.

Getting Link Cable support working in an emulator shouldn't be hard, pretty sure PC emulators have had that since the outset. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with no GB titles on NSO, they dole everything out slowly to spark interest when people start realizing how hollow NSO is and that they're paying for nothing. The Switch thread geeked hard with Pilotwings 64 getting released, as someone who loves that game just lol

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sigher posted:

SM64 got a different version for rumble support on the same console even.
Wait. What?!

How did I miss this at the time?!

sigher posted:

The Switch thread geeked hard with Pilotwings 64 getting released, as someone who loves that game just lol
Pilotwings 64 hasn't had a release since the original and it's quite good, and I'd pay 10-20 bucks to own it, but I'm just gonna' pirate that poo poo until they let me buy it. I don't do software as service.

I'm still pissed all those games I bought on the Wii shop aren't just on some Nintendo account I can still access. I never buy games on the E-shop if I can help it anymore because I know I won't be able to play them in five years.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 19, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It was Japan only, it fixed some glitches like the BLJ.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

LividLiquid posted:

I'm still pissed all those games I bought on the Wii shop aren't just on some Nintendo account I can still access. I never buy games on the E-shop if I can help it anymore because I know I won't be able to play them in five years.

Is that a flaw with the PAL version licensing or something? My NA Wii still plays the games fine. WiiU is still kicking, that actually just turned 10 yesterday and it's 6 years older than the Wii.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

sigher posted:

Nintendo has rehashed their games since Super Mario All Stars on the SNES, SM64 got a different version for rumble support on the same console even. Recently we've had HD remakes of Zelda titles on the Wii U, and the Switch library is filled with re-releases with added content, poo poo the current Mario Kart is just a Wii U title and all of it's DLC is remade tracks.

Getting Link Cable support working in an emulator shouldn't be hard, pretty sure PC emulators have had that since the outset. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with no GB titles on NSO, they dole everything out slowly to spark interest when people start realizing how hollow NSO is and that they're paying for nothing. The Switch thread geeked hard with Pilotwings 64 getting released, as someone who loves that game just lol

They absolutely trickle em out to spark interest

But how Game Boy games would be treated on NSO would be interesting. If there was multiplayer, would there be splitscreen and could you hide your screen? What about rolling back your saves states and duplicating your Pokémon, or trading between versions? Maybe Nintendo has more immediate intentions for Game Boy titles at any given time, like releasing them piecemeal for anniversaries like Zelda has (Game & Watch: Link's Awakening & Four Swords), and using them as blueprints for games like Link's Awakening on Switch and Metroid 2: Samus Returns on the 3DS

We could just as easily get basic no frills emulation with some contrast filters, or maybe a Super Game Boy thing. But the challenges of having feature parity with other NSO systems, which would include multiplayer, seem more troublesome than with other systems, and maybe they are just waiting for the time &/or hardware that makes sense for old GB titles

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Is that a flaw with the PAL version licensing or something? My NA Wii still plays the games fine. WiiU is still kicking, that actually just turned 10 yesterday and it's 6 years older than the Wii.
Okay, but imagine if every time you upgraded your PC your Steam games were tied to the old one and you could only play them on that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, but imagine if every time you upgraded your PC your Steam games were tied to the old one and you could only play them on that.

Why would it do that

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got an email alert that this game was 50% off so I bought it, my first ever Zelda game. I'm struggling with how every weapon breaks after like two swings. Don't like that mechanic at all.

I don't know this game world so I'm just going to wander around and do whatever. I will assume that the princess is in another castle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I got an email alert that this game was 50% off so I bought it, my first ever Zelda game. I'm struggling with how every weapon breaks after like two swings. Don't like that mechanic at all.

I still don't *like* the low weapon durability and it took a while to really get into the game, but what convinced me was folks in here saying to think about it more like ammo. When I got it into my mind that it was more about having a constant flow of transitory weapons rather than getting attached to any single one, I started enjoying it a lot more.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Another proud gamer dad moment. My 10-year-old daughter who has spent most of her time playing with her horse and shield surfing in the safety of Hateno Village, ventured out a bit more tonight and got to a modest test of strength shrine. Never done any combat shrines before but she decided to stride in and just go for it.

3 hearts and she got it on her 2nd try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly the game throws so many weapons at you that by midgame I was seeking out storage upgrades just to not have to keep tossing weapons.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2022