Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hyphz posted:

Maybe so. I guess maybe the other side is that playing a corper is a bit too close to what regular people do anyway. It's hard to see a corper as an absolute scumbag who deserves everything they get when you know they're only a scumbag because their boss says they have to be, they needed a steady paycheck and changing the world wasn't an option.

(Cyberpunk Fierce Creatures when?)

So, again to clarify what the actual game is: you're not playing bottom-rung employees, you are the scumbag bosses running a division of a megacorp, setting up projects, hiring runners, throwing away people's lives for money, et cetera. The introductory bit makes it clear that any of these people could have taken a different path, done something good (or at least not evil), but chose the path of "gently caress morality" for a reason. The setup is there to establish they're not some poor sap working a 9-5, they're the "on the grindset" shitheels out to ruin everyone for their own gain from the start. (Barring one playbook that approaches it a bit differently, but it's one of the two pseudo-"advanced playbooks" not recommended for a first timer in text.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

The element of WoD that really really works against playing the characters like stolen cars is not anything to do with the setting or flavor but the character creation process being really involved and very aggressive about pushing and remind you of its progression system. If you're going to treat your characters as disposable I'd rather have a system with character creation on the level of kill pupppies for satan or even thinner like Nice Marines.

IDK I don't think I'm that weird for this but my general feeling is that the more involved the character creation process is, the more I want to make sure that the character that comes out of it gets some real screen time.

at least in nwod/cod there's a lot of variants to cut down on the complexity of character generation that go along with game models that promote character volatility. an nwod character technically only needs 3 stats (power, finesse, resistance).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, that depends a lot on whether you read the book or listen to people who played the game. The pitch in the books is clearly very much about mournfully battling your inner beast while struggling with the urge to use Potency 5 to toss a car through a werewolf, sometimes there is a politic. The groups I've ever encountered that actually played Vampire, on the other hand, always leaned towards playing night-time superheroes who responded to politics by using Potency 5 tossing a car through a werewolf.

I think there's a pretty big difference between designing a game that's purely about ship combat and does ship combat good, and a game that's about individual characters that are sometimes doing space combat. I.e. pure vehicle combat systems can work, but "normal" RPG's with a vehicle combat module tend to be busted up.

What I'm picturing is a game that has plenty of support for out of combat situations in the usual fashion, but the default assumption is that any major combat scenarios are going to be happening using the ship combat rules

Think along the lines of Legend of The Galactic Heroes and other works with a heavy focus on space combat

Leperflesh posted:

One of the more "realistic" tabletop space ship wargames that I've played is Full Thrust. That game at least accounts for things like momentum using Newtonian physics, although IIRC it's still played in two dimensions.

If I was going to tack on a space ship combat system to an RPG I would want to make space ship fights feel the way they do in a TV show like Star Trek: There's a few seconds of the bridge, the captain barking orders... there's some pew pews and some explosions maybe - but there's also something else going on, because a straight up fight is always either "the Enterprise massively overmatches the foe and they lose" or, much more commonly, "The Enterprise is horribly overmatched and is going to lose... UNLESS... and occasionally "The Enterprise is trying to stop this fight, because of a Big Misunderstanding/ someone is making this happen against everyone's interests/this is a distraction keeping us from achieving our Episodic Goal/etc/" and in all of these cases, the drama doesn't come from specific maneuvers or how many hit points of damage a photon torpedo can do, it comes from stuff going on with the battle in the background. The status of the shields, amount of visible destruction and bodies, etc. are used just to set a certain level of tension, provide visual interest, and give the viewer an idea of how seriously bad things have gotten.

So I guess what I come back to is, what are you trying to achieve with your space ship combat system? Is your game about the space ship, or is the ship more of a setting element, occasionally chaotic, usually reliable, sometimes very comforting? Placing the ship (the castle, the village, the hive, the duchy, the elemental plane of air, Asgard, the zoo, the spire, the bloodline, the faction) into imminent peril adds drama and tension, and the PCs address the problem using their skills and wits and spells and so forth. This could include manning the guns or squeezing ten percent more out of the warp drive or improvising a crazy maneuver at the helm, but it could also include solving the untranslatable sigils on the artifact in the ready room, figuring out how to talk to the aliens, convincing the space squid to eat something more tasty, fixing the warp engine so you can get away, triggering the nearby star to go nova, curing the space sickness that has driven the rest of the crew into a murderous fugue, or maybe just beaming aboard the space station and having a traditional laser fight with some other dudes.

Or, is your game about exciting ship battles? Then poo poo, yeah, there should be a structure that provides interesting choices in every fight. An interesting choice is one where there's not one clearly best option. We know what this looks like: good RPG combat systems already exist, where you don't just click Power Attack every round, you get to choose between stances/maneuvers/spells/powers etc. and so does the foe and the terrain matters and there's something fun to engage with every round, even in the 40th combat you're having in this system. Give everyone at the table interesting choices to make. Don't focus so much on traditional hierarchical roles like captain vs. underlings just following orders. You can have someone in charge of a drone swarm, someone in charge of a bunch of flavors of directed energy fields, someone setting targeting priorities, someone can access a chart of abstracted trickeries that may or may not mislead opponents in a variety of interesting ways, I think there's lots of design space for good tactical space combat. Give ships a bunch of different stats that matter, create interesting matchups - not just rock/paper/scissors (that's not a bad place to start though: pick the right weapon vs. their particular defenses...) but also speed, maneuvering capabilities, ability to operate in atmosphere/pressure, cloaking, abilities with cooldowns (a burst of speed, a burst of fire, etc), drones or manned fighters, ECM. Provide terrain, space battles are always going to be more interesting in a dense asteroid field or above a stormy gas giant or in a mine field or amidst a flock of migrating psychic space whales or right in the middle of an active nova.

IMO the hardest part is dealing with 3d and, if you choose to, newtonian physics. I think flattening space into a grid that you can more easily handle with minis or a map is a reasonable albeit disappointing compromise, and if you don't want to deal with proper physics you can also basically treat space ships like boats and let them fly graceful arcs like they do in most space shows/movies.

This covers a lot of the thoughts I've had on this better than I could express

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, Vampire's maybe a bad example. Vampire's easiest to sell when you talk about it in an Interview With The Vampire "they're monstrous, but sexy and Byronic" way.

People poo poo on VtM "Vampion" gameplay (aka what other people on the last page described as being goku with fangs) but honestly that's closer to Rice's later Lestat books than the broody remorseful monster type lol.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Leperflesh posted:

IMO the hardest part is dealing with 3d and, if you choose to, newtonian physics. I think flattening space into a grid that you can more easily handle with minis or a map is a reasonable albeit disappointing compromise, and if you don't want to deal with proper physics you can also basically treat space ships like boats and let them fly graceful arcs like they do in most space shows/movies.

Having played Sanagami Island Tactical Simulator I can definitively say I do not want to deal with proper physics. Leave that to the computers and get to the stuff that isn't just pure math.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm going to ask: what good space ship battles game?

In most RPG's you're going to have one big ship for the party, and unless there are only two or three party members, it's really hard to actually leave something for everyone to do. I've yet to encounter a good vehicle combat system in any RPG.

Ken Burnside and I have been around and around on this multiple times. We really want Squadron Strike: Traveller to work as an RPG aid, but there just isn't enough for multiple PCs in a crew to stay busy and all have fun. There are also some concepts baked really hard into the setting that make the smaller ships extremely difficult to do in Squadron Strike, so we're sticking with the big ships.

quote:

Squadron Strike (or the Saganami Island game) handle 3D pretty well without computer assist, and there is now a VTT for Squadron Strike that works really well. There are regular sessions for newbies and a fair amount of people playing it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask but is there a good game or system for multiple people to do collaborative worldbuilding. We're looking for something that would let us do this without actually playing out a plot or specific characters but something that can span years/millennia and involve things like building magic systems, geography, lore, economy, etc but in some kind of gamey, fun way.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CitizenKeen posted:

As one of Trad Games' resident 2d20 fanbois, I can say that Homeworld's lack of good ship battle rules (or really, any) is loving ridiculous. Just infuriating.
lmao you should check out the Fallout 2d20, it sucks so much it rules, "what if you bought Fallout 4 and it was just incomplete across the board" the TTRPG.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
my perspective on wod is weird anyway because the best times i ever had playing wod were with a small-scale, short-run (10 session) series of vampire larps. the larger playerbase meant the setting felt more organic because nobody could tell whether any obstacles they encountered were the results of player action or game plot, and characters could be developed along with the GM team to have interesting details in a vacuum tied to other characters' issues, creating opportunities for factions, rivalries, etc. the overhead of having to make a new character after you died wasn't so bad either because you had a few weeks between games to do so, and the hard 10-game limit meant that even if you survived the whole duration you were probably staring down an orgy of bloodshed anyway as chickens came home to roost.

that said, even if i did conventional tabletop vampire with one gm and four players, I'd still lean into the buildup to a grand and tragic downfall because it's pretty much the text of vampire, even if the text text frames it in like, a poetic way and the reality of the game frames it in a grindhouse movie way. i would however not use the storyteller system, just the setting

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 16, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mila kunis posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask but is there a good game or system for multiple people to do collaborative worldbuilding. We're looking for something that would let us do this without actually playing out a plot or specific characters but something that can span years/millennia and involve things like building magic systems, geography, lore, economy, etc but in some kind of gamey, fun way.

You just described Microscope.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mila kunis posted:

You want either Microscope by Ben Robbins, or one of the other related works by the same author, they’re the gold standard for exactly this thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

What I'm picturing is a game that has plenty of support for out of combat situations in the usual fashion, but the default assumption is that any major combat scenarios are going to be happening using the ship combat rules

Think along the lines of Legend of The Galactic Heroes and other works with a heavy focus on space combat
I'm thinking more yu gi oh or the fast and the furious. Got bad grades? Spaceship battle. Awkward date? Spaceship battle.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

You just described Microscope.

Kestral posted:

You want either Microscope by Ben Robbins, or one of the other related works by the same author, they’re the gold standard for exactly this thing.

Thank you!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mister Olympus posted:

my perspective on wod is weird anyway because the best times i ever had playing wod were with a small-scale, short-run (10 session) series of vampire larps. the larger playerbase meant the setting felt more organic because nobody could tell whether any obstacles they encountered were the results of player action or game plot, and characters could be developed along with the GM team to have interesting details in a vacuum tied to other characters' issues, creating opportunities for factions, rivalries, etc. the overhead of having to make a new character after you died wasn't so bad either because you had a few weeks between games to do so, and the hard 10-game limit meant that even if you survived the whole duration you were probably staring down an orgy of bloodshed anyway as chickens came home to roost.

that said, even if i did conventional tabletop vampire with one gm and four players, I'd still lean into the buildup to a grand and tragic downfall because it's pretty much the text of vampire, even if the text text frames it in like, a poetic way and the reality of the game frames it in a grindhouse movie way. i would however not use the storyteller system, just the setting

Yeah the storyteller system mechanically does not support that arc. The basic arc is that supernatural PCs start out very strong with several pathways for inexorably gaining titanic power. There's a bit of a descent mechanic in stats like humanity but those descending stats are very difficult to finish off, the last couple points of humanity practically need you to go out of your way to lose. Its really set up more for the process of going from Bram Stoker Dracula (an aristocrat with a cult) to Castlevania Dracula (a world-historical force).

Now, a system that mechanically supports that descent is Polaris. Polaris owns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tulip posted:

Now, a system that mechanically supports that descent is Polaris. Polaris owns.

Which Polaris? I seem to remember there are a couple systems with that name, and all I can remember is that one of them is also written by the same person who wrote Bliss Stage.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mila kunis posted:

Thank you!

The Microscope expansion / supplement Microscope Explorer also has a whole section specifically about using it to world-build for another RPG

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Which Polaris? I seem to remember there are a couple systems with that name, and all I can remember is that one of them is also written by the same person who wrote Bliss Stage.

this is the one i know

https://p-h-lee.itch.io/polaris

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CitizenKeen posted:

If you're willing to do a bit of hacking, the current iteration of 2d20 (the one in the SRD and the one used in Achtung! Cthulhu and the forthcoming COHORS Cthulhu) is just sublime. (The "hacking" being they're games about WWII and Ancient Rome, respectively.)

If you need sci-fi with guns out of the box, Infinity was designed to replicate the world of a scifi wargame, so it'll do just fine. It's the second crunchiest of the 2d20 games, and its layout/editing is... not great. But I really enjoyed my year with Infinity.

I remember someone I know telling me that they were building level one/starter characters that could one shot TAGs in Infinity, but I also know they aren't the brightest bulb. How did that one end up shaking out? I feel like it would be the easiest one to re-fluff into something else that was generally sci-fi like mass effect or starcraft or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The best spaceship battle game in an RPG I've ever seen was the original FASA Star Trek, where each player was one of the Bridge crew and had the responsibilities of their duty station.

Cureall
Jan 12, 2022
We've moved on a bit, but I did participate in a playtest for Deniable Assets about last year or so. It was a one-shot so I can't speak for campaign play, but almost everyone round the table got the idea pretty easily - except for one person, who interpreted 'rear end in a top hat' as playing more of an annoying impish nuisance than a person causing material harm. So if anything, that's the sort of interpretation I'd be concerned about - anyone who wants to explicitly play a good guy is already going to be turned off.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hey all, my main group can't all meet for our session this Sunday, so I need recommendations (and links) for good one page RPGs we can play as a filler session. I'm familiar with Honey Heist, Nice Marines, and All out of Bubblegum, but I'm looking for even more options.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cureall posted:

We've moved on a bit, but I did participate in a playtest for Deniable Assets about last year or so. It was a one-shot so I can't speak for campaign play, but almost everyone round the table got the idea pretty easily - except for one person, who interpreted 'rear end in a top hat' as playing more of an annoying impish nuisance than a person causing material harm. So if anything, that's the sort of interpretation I'd be concerned about - anyone who wants to explicitly play a good guy is already going to be turned off.

One player is interested in the Albatross, which I'm cautious about for exactly that reason. Good to know it works overall though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PeterWeller posted:

Hey all, my main group can't all meet for our session this Sunday, so I need recommendations (and links) for good one page RPGs we can play as a filler session. I'm familiar with Honey Heist, Nice Marines, and All out of Bubblegum, but I'm looking for even more options.

Personal favorites :

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/252501

http://gregorhutton.com/roleplaying/bmct.pdf

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I was looking through my notes for old RPGs and I found this, from a Feng Shui game I ran with the premise "you are anybody from the past or the future, real or mythological, and you've fallen through time and are trying to get home" in which one of the players decided they were playing Cyborg Elon Musk From The Future (in her defence it was like 2015, he hadn't been quite so publically outed as a shithead yet)

Anyway the penultimate episode had each player trapped in a dream where they confronted their worst aspects, while the other players played NPCs, and I feel like the briefing sheets I gave out for this one are worth sharing:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Thank you kindly. Both of these look great!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PeterWeller posted:

One Last Job is fun... https://gshowitt.itch.io/one-last-job

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sexy battle wizards https://gshowitt.itch.io/sexy-battle-wizards

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It's really hard to go wrong with any Grant Howlett game, to be fair.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

PeterWeller posted:

If your players can ham it up enough, Tactical Espionage Action.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://gshowitt.itch.io/nice-marines

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

PurpleXVI posted:

Regardless of what your feelings are re: Bliss Stage, Ben Lehman's Polaris is an astonishing work of art that can be unreservedly recommended if you have the kind of group who will take the concept of ritual seriously.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/44454/polaris-chivalric-tragedy-utmost-north

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

If your players can ham it up enough, Tactical Espionage Action.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's really hard to go wrong with any Grant Howlett game, to be fair.

Thanks for all the recs!

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Helical Nightmares posted:

About a year ago I asked the tg chat thread for their recommendations for base building, domain management or organization building rpgs or supplements. I've posted the compiled suggestions on my blog here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

Recently there was a reddit thread on this topic about thirteen days ago so I've updated and expanded the list.

For PbtA games there are Apocalypse World (as you mentioned), Stonetop and No Country for Old Kobolds.

I would also recommend looking into the rules for Mutant: Year Zero, Wicked Ones (Forged in the Dark), and Mountain Home (Forged in the Dark) depending on what type of base building game you are looking for.

Edit: If you want a free copy of the lion's share of Wicked Ones' rules here is a link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354307/Wicked-Ones-Free-Edition

This is a great resource! Sorry for the late response, I got sealed away in the hospital for a bit.
Wicked Ones seems like it'll hit most of the crunchy bits we want, because a big chunk of the game my friend wants to run is based around dungeon building. But we also might want to include some light topside town development stuff. Does the Valiant Ones expansion cover that at all, or is there something else that we might be able to tack on? Worst comes to worst this would just be between-adventure flavor with no real mechanical effects.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

This is a great resource!

Great! Glad you like it. I could only have put it together with the help from people from here.

Strontosaurus posted:

Sorry for the late response, I got sealed away in the hospital for a bit.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope all is well.

Strontosaurus posted:

Wicked Ones seems like it'll hit most of the crunchy bits we want, because a big chunk of the game my friend wants to run is based around dungeon building. But we also might want to include some light topside town development stuff. Does the Valiant Ones expansion cover that at all, or is there something else that we might be able to tack on? Worst comes to worst this would just be between-adventure flavor with no real mechanical effects.

So Valiant Ones is a mod for Wicked Ones that is in the Wicked Ones Deluxe Edition (you pay for this one). Valiant Ones, which is a one page mod with 9 character callings (classes, specifically Artificer - Bard - Cleric - Druid - Monk - Ranger - Rogue - Sorcerer - Warrior), each with specific rules for their callings on their respective sheet, is based on the mod Wandering Ones. Wandering Ones is a two page mod.

So when I skimmed it all, there not a lot of new stuff here and as far as I can tell there was no topside development stuff. If you want rules for developing a kingdom I liked the Kingmaker stuff in Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign. Or you could take a look at Mutant: Year Zero and reflavor the upgrades from a post-apocalyptic world to a fantasy one. I haven't bought Mountain Home yet to see how extensive their dwarven basebuilding rules are, but this might be an option for you as well.

In terms of Wicked Ones related stuff it might be worth your while to look at the expansions War for the Overworld and Undead Awakening, here:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/368202/Wicked-Ones-War-for-the-Overworld?src=also_purchased

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/377915/Wicked-Ones-Undead-Awakening

If you find a ruleset you really like, please tell us.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hostile V posted:

lmao you should check out the Fallout 2d20, it sucks so much it rules, "what if you bought Fallout 4 and it was just incomplete across the board" the TTRPG.

Tell me more, I want to know so badly. I feel like a Fallout TTRPG would have been the easiest goal possible to design around how does it become a complete mess.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

kingcom posted:

Tell me more, I want to know so badly. I feel like a Fallout TTRPG would have been the easiest goal possible to design around how does it become a complete mess.
There is just so much structurally missing or that does not translate well to tabletop play, longer message to follow. It was trivially easy for me to minmax playing a high Charisma big speech character so that I was completely out of relevant Charisma-related perks to pick by level 3, for example.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kingcom posted:

that makes me sad because I wanted to play it :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel V5 should have embraced the over-the-top animeness of the oWoD instead of trying to recreate the nWoD again, but that's been fought over many times since it happened.

Sometimes you just want a katana fight in a dark subway with blood sprays straight out of an early 90s horror OVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

kingcom posted:

Well you know, J.E.Sawyer had this out in 2006 https://web.archive.org/web/20060827132423/http://www.diogenes-lamp.info/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page and there was this too http://www.fallout.ru/projects/pnp/fallout_pnp_2.0.pdf