Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Expect an increase in UK property sales between Jan-March 2025 as buyers look to make the most of the stamp duty saving before it is removed"

ofcourse. Let the rich snatch it all up now when it's cheap while everyone else gets systematically hosed over. They did this recently as well where stamp duties were removed during the pandemic which serves absolutely no purpose but to aid those with the money to quickly buy, especially when you factor gazumped and all that heinous realty bullshit.

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1593208171275128833

*crosses 'prop up landlords' off bingo card*

e: lol debt go up
https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1593227042619027456

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

Median wage hasn't risen in line with inflation, so you're actually saying that it's more fair if everyone suffers.

Well yeah that would be the point, but the starting level of pensions and benefits is so much lower that it's not comparable and it's fine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Twitter is great right now because a huge proportion of the replies about the UC stuff is red faced cunts outraged that their benefits are being taken away, they voted for the conservatives to take the other benefits away. Literal face eating leopards stuff.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I looked into those, I don't have enough inflow pipe projecting above all the boxing in the previous owner put in to even put that in.
I would be quite happy with one of those shower hose things attached to the wall alongside the bog that you see in many bathrooms in Egypt for example.

Like this:

but in my bathroom, again, would require a total destruction of the boxing in and surrounds and there's no spare bog around I could use while a plumber did this especially given the propensity of tradespersons round here to do half a job and then bugger off never to be seen again.

Ok, I'm gonna ask this and probably regret it. I've seen those things and they have quite a bit of power. How exactly do you use that thing on the pic without getting all your clothes or the whole bathroom dripping wet?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mano posted:

Ok, I'm gonna ask this and probably regret it. I've seen those things and they have quite a bit of power. How exactly do you use that thing on the pic without getting all your clothes or the whole bathroom dripping wet?

it's like a mini colonic irrigation

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nestle it in your cheeks and form a seal over the bowl, I assume.

Although quite why I'd want to use one that other people had had their way with I'm not entirely sure.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nestle it in your cheeks and form a seal over the bowl, I assume.

Although quite why I'd want to use one that other people had had their way with I'm not entirely sure.

I thought Nestlé is banned here?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mano posted:

These ones have a trigger head so you point it at the relevant anatomy & squeeze the trigger. Also, there's a tap before the hose (where it comes out of the wall) so you can amend the power of the output. Quite a few though don't have the trigger head and require a certain expertise with the thumb. I've seen similar over here on the rare occasion I have encountered a friend with one. Ed: if you get one, experiment a bit first to get it right, not in your best suit when you're dashing out to a job interview or wedding!

Some people disrobe their entire lower half - requires either hooks or a wall that doesn't quite reach the ceiling to throw your clothes over.

Obviously you need to clean it regularly!

The really gross ones are with the fixed spigot that comes out of the back of the bog and sprays up roughly in the centre. Some of the modern inbuilt spigot ones I've seen have a spigot that moves in and out. But no, spigots are a bit ewwww.

Ed2: Some friends who knew these things from Egypt have had success using them with disabled elderly parents with limited mobility so they can use the regular toilet rather than lying down in bed waiting for a carer to come clean them once or twice a day.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 17, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also contrary to the instructions of the 80s novelty song, definitely do not shatafa your face.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Well they did say they'll raise pensions and benefits in line with inflation.

Not sure that's all that great honestly, in line with median wage increase would be more fair, but the benefits aren't all that generous in the first place so I guess it's fine.

It's a significantly higher raise than the average person working for the government is getting, so this counts as extreme generosity by tory standards.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think my decision to not even go near a dole office has been the best choice for my own mental health. :stonklol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was pretty unpleasant back when I last did it, I assume it's basically like the thunderdome now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Its just like prison, you gotta go in on your first day and knock out the biggest hardest oval office you can find, then they won't mess with you

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I signed on in about 1982 for a month and it was vile then. You'd be told to turn up at a certain time, there'd be nobody at any of the cubicles for an hour or more, then when you finally did get to see someone, they would insist on filling in the form themselves, spelling everything incorrectly, and writing along a ruler to make their lines straight. What a bunch of divots. Presumably the assumption was that if you were a claimant you must be illiterate as well.

I shared a flat with someone who worked in a job centre or signing on place whatever it was called in those days near Archway when it was the DSS.

She told me that anyone who showed the slightest bit of sympathy towards a claimant would be taken off the public-facing work and switched to back office.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Its just like prison, you gotta go in on your first day and knock out the biggest hardest oval office you can find, then they won't mess with you

This isn't totally innaccurate.

Maybe five years ago me and a buddy both were coming out of protracted periods of unemployment - him anxiety, me cancer. I strode in, arrogant and slightly aggressive, and was treated like a king, including a long and unpleasant spiel from my advisor lady about how it was nice to have a "real person" for a change.

He shuffled in, polite and friendly but obviously nervous, and got treated like poo poo non-stop and sanctioned about a billion times, and on one occasion got turfed out by security cause he seized up with fright.

Like I get it's probably a hugely dehumanising job, a lot of the people you see are gonna be furiously unpleasant to deal with and at their lowest ebb and "there's complex socioeconomic reasons why they're like that" maybe isn't your first thought in the heat of the moment, but surely after a while you either lighten up or quit? Why are they all such fuckers?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

My experience of going to the job centre now are significantly better than when I went back in 2008-2010.
Back then you were shamed and they were constantly trying to catch you out, eg. I misspelled the name of a newspaper I had written down as a job search source and they tried to make a claim I was lying about looking for jobs and they would sanction me, obviously there was no reasonable proof of this but he called me an illiterate and lazy fool and he won't hesitate to sanction me if this happens again (?????). He was an absolute dickhead and there was no real procedure for me to put in a formal complaint and I just had to deal with this kind of attitude every single week. I ended up on ESA instead because the weird abuse from them made my mental health much worse.

My experience these days has been better. Signe dup to UC when I lost my job in 2017 and I'm still signed up with them while working. Job coaches are a lot more empathetic and supportive about my anxiety and were very flexible with my work searching and gave me a lot of room to figure out what it was I wanted and needed. I was quite blunt about asking them why it's much nicer now and my advisor just said they'd had a lot more training these days especially around mental health, even showed me a little bit of info about the latest training they'd been doing for suicidal awareness and how to handle someone having a mental health crisis in front of them etc. Hell, I even got a big (consensual) hug off another advisor one time after I had a panic attack in the centre and he offered to do some phone appointments for a month instead of face to face while I recovered, no need for fit for work note or anything. They are obviously pushy to get you into full time work but in my case I was limited in what roles I could do and there really wasn't anything suitable available, they were always just happy as long as I showed them I had done 35 hours worth of job searching each week. :shrug:

Obviously this is just my own experience and I don't expect it to be universal. I figure some centres are going to still be like how I experienced over a decade ago and I really hope they go in a better direction. Giving people time and compassion can actually help folk find a job that's suitable for them, crazy.

UC is still not enough though. It's mega handy for topping up when I've had to take long term sick in work and while I was jumping between jobs but gently caress having to survive on it alone again.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Solefald posted:

as long as I showed them I had done 35 hours worth of job searching each week. :shrug:

Coming from a place of absolute ignorance about the system, I can't get my head around how this would work. I always figured that there wouldn't be enough jobs to fill that time for one week, let alone every week.

This subject made me go and look to see if there was a Panorama episode on it, regrettably there wasn't.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Coming from a place of absolute ignorance about the system, I can't get my head around how this would work. I always figured that there wouldn't be enough jobs to fill that time for one week, let alone every week.

Basically I'd just write down things like
"2hrs Browsed multiple job search websites"
"5hrs Handed CV into various shops/restaurants in city centre"

Hell, I was an alcoholic and I reworded me just sitting in the pub as
"4hrs Visited local public house to network with friends and family"

:shrug:

Anything and everything where looking for work or discussing work was valid.
Half the time I was writing down up to 50hrs worth of "job seeking" because I'd write down literally everything.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think my decision to not even go near a dole office has been the best choice for my own mental health. :stonklol:

The True-True. Literally rather just run down my sinking fund for the duration - that's what it's for.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Making you show them 35 hours of job searching a week is loving mad though right? Like obviously you just have to make some amount of that up or stretch it out or whatever but some amount of people won't have the wherewithal or bullshittery skills to do that and will massively stress out about it.

I suppose if you apply for 5 jobs where they make you transpose the entire contents of your CV into separate sections, then also fill in another sheet of questions that would be answered by your CV AND then write a covering letter or supporting statement that by the very nature of those documents will cover the exact same info again.... that probably would take you about 35 hours though.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
UC is dogshit for a lot of reasons, namely that the way its set up means you don't get paid when you actually need it because it's based off past earnings. They also are terrible at tracking how much you are earning and there's no mechanism to self-report unless they arbitrarily ask you to, which they don't do often enough. This inevitably leads to them overpaying and then demanding the money back every time like clockwork. That said, my experience of the staff themselves is that while they are clearly overworked and don't have the resources to properly keep track of everything, they have always been perfectly pleasant and fair with me. I may have just got lucky with the people I have spoken to or get preferential treatment because I look and sound middle class, but I've certainly never experienced any of the cruelty I've heard about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Making you show them 35 hours of job searching a week is loving mad though right? Like obviously you just have to make some amount of that up or stretch it out or whatever but some amount of people won't have the wherewithal or bullshittery skills to do that and will massively stress out about it.

I suppose if you apply for 5 jobs where they make you transpose the entire contents of your CV into separate sections, then also fill in another sheet of questions that would be answered by your CV AND then write a covering letter or supporting statement that by the very nature of those documents will cover the exact same info again.... that probably would take you about 35 hours though.

Honestly back in 2013 they made it "simpler" by demanding you log on to the DWP website and apply to at least X jobs via their in-house application system between appointments.

Over 90% of the jobs listed were obviously scams to farm real names / email addresses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

Like obviously you just have to make some amount of that up or stretch it out or whatever but some amount of people won't have the wherewithal or bullshittery skills to do that
Gaining bullshittery skills from local informal networks is a vital part of getting ahead in today's modern employment market though :eng101:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I didn't do 35 hours of actual work a week when I was in full employment (3.5 more like, ha ha), can't even imagine how you'd fill 35 hours """"""job-seeking"""""" for multiple weeks on end.

I mean, they have to know it's nonsense, right? The cruelty is the poiint I guess.

JUST GIVE PEOPLE MONEY FOR gently caress'S SAKE WORK REQUIREMENTS ARE BULLSHIT

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the big problem I had was applying and searching, like mate there's no loving work except for obvious scams and a £100k managing director role what the gently caress do you want me to apply for?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

thebardyspoon posted:

Well, yeah. I'd often write that I'd dedicate 1-2 hours a day doing the usual online job search. I'd then add an additional hour per job actually applied for and keep the details to myself until they requested them b/c there was never enough space on the booklet they gave me. If you're smart about it then it's very easy to fill it up. "0.5hrs checked emails for updates" "2hrs checked social medias for job advertisements" "2 hours checked job search websites" etc. a brief description of what you did, a time frame and then being able to confirm the information during your 1to1 was all fine. I think I went a good 6 months of just doing that and didn't at any point actually apply for a job because I was very very mentally unwell and actually couldn't work lol.

Having a proper job searching routine once I was feeling a bit better was good though. Dedicating a good 5hrs each day to job searching and applying helped me find way more opportunities than I could have imagined.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly back in 2013 they made it "simpler" by demanding you log on to the DWP website and apply to at least X jobs via their in-house application system between appointments.

Over 90% of the jobs listed were obviously scams to farm real names / email addresses.

Oh man yeah I always hated the actual dwp jobsite. It's a bit better now but it was always just full of shite and even the more legit businesses who tried to use it gave up posting on there b/c they'd get loads and loads of applicants who were unqualified or uninterested and would often waste their time b/c they just had to apply for everything and anything.

Solefald fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 17, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the big problem I had was applying and searching, like mate there's no loving work except for obvious scams and a £100k managing director role what the gently caress do you want me to apply for?

Apply for the 100k role, you might get it, ability is not a requirement

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's where the bullshittery skills come in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Apply for the 100k role, you might get it, ability is not a requirement

Well that's the stupid thing, they would actually tell me to apply for stuff I am clearly not qualified for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comparatively when I applied in late 2020 thanks to covid there were no real requirements and even after we had to resume looking for work I said that I was in training (self-studying for the CCNA) and they said "oh okay" and stopped asking if I'd looked for work. Even when I had finished and gotten that I went in and they were just like "ah you seem smart enough don't worry about applying for jobs until there's one that suits you"

That was absolutely not how they treated me as a graduate.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I think we've sort of empirically proved that "CEO" is not actually a very demanding job, so, might as well go for it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Only Kindness posted:

I think we've sort of empirically proved that "CEO" is not actually a very demanding job, so, might as well go for it.

Yes but balancing it with 12 directorships and that affair is quite time consuming

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tesseraction posted:

(self-studying for the CCNA)

Oh hey CCNA buddy, mine expired in 2011 and I've successfully dodged having to do any more, despite continuing to climb in the field since then.

I did get made redundant in early 2021 but fortunately lined two jobs up by the time it actually happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't dispute that I would probably be a better managing director than many, but I don't think anywhere would hire me to do it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh hey CCNA buddy, mine expired in 2011 and I've successfully dodged having to do any more, despite continuing to climb in the field since then.

I did get made redundant in early 2021 but fortunately lined two jobs up by the time it actually happened.

Yeah, the CCNA was fun to learn about how my network works but it hasn't really come in handy and the one time I was asked to do network stuff it was to connect an office to a new ISP which mostly involved me struggling to get the Cisco to talk to the internet and in the end the SA Cisco thread just said "try bypassing the Cisco entirely?" and I did and everything Just Worked. So I suck.

At networks. I also suck in general.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's the stupid thing, they would actually tell me to apply for stuff I am clearly not qualified for.
You could honestly say you were in consideration for a management position at another company as long as they were telling you to apply for at least two of those.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
OwlManager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
CFO (Chief Fancier of Owls)