Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Re pitching awards literally the only stats I would take into account are innings pitched, ERA, and maybe strikeouts on the margin. xERA etc don’t tell you who had the best season.
I don't have any particular bone to pick about this year's awards voting, but I will defend xERA.

Among publicly available metrics, xERA is the best at isolating the individual contributions of a pitcher.

Where ERA gives pitchers full credit or blame for all batted ball events, and FIP gives them zero credit/blame (unless it goes over the fence), xERA gives them appropriate partial credit by parsing batted ball data.

If you give up a lot of line drives at 95+ exit velo, you're gonna give up a lot of runs. However the exact number of runs allowed is subject to noise out of the pitchers control (defensive positioning & skill, weird hops, etc). Over a long timeline, this noise evens out which is why ERA is still informative at the career level (with basic adjustments for run environment).

So I'd argue xERA does a better job of telling you which pitcher had the better season than ERA does, because it's method of stripping defense from the data is a lot more sophisticated and accurate than Errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mlbmarathon/status/1593081982862643202?s=46&t=X3sq4Vqf2NE2EjO5JLRjag

Weird how he won MVP in 2019 and fell off a cliff. Yelich as well…

He's an injury magnet and hosed up his shoulder a bunch.

Been a bunch of rumors that the Cubs are looking at him as an option for CF, as good a bounce back candidate as any I suppose.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I would be completely fine with the Cubs taking a chance on Bellinger so long as it doesn't greatly impact getting Trea Turner too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Been a bunch of rumors that the Cubs are looking at him as an option for CF, as good a bounce back candidate as any I suppose.
between the shoulder and the broken leg at the start of '21, he's barely been 100% healthy at any point since 2019

he was a monster in the 2020 NLCS at least

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

he was a monster in the 2020 NLCS at least

In which, IIRC, he managed to dislocate his shoulder for like the third time in his career doing the elbow slam HR celebration.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Bregman has also spent the last few years mostly injured but that was never accepted as an excuse :colbert:

(I agree that it's almost definitely the reason for both Bellinger's and Yelich's regressions)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A combo 1B/OF with past success that could probably be had for cheap?

:10bux: says Crane grabs him before thanksgiving and then calls it a day on offseason spending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No. No Bellinger on the Astros I'm afraid. I'm agin' it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a one year rehab deal seems like something right up the Twins' alley

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

It's only collusion if it happens in the Colludè region of France. Everything else is sparkling scheming

Fuckin lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

IcePhoenix posted:

a one year rehab deal seems like something right up the Twins' alley

I dunno, he seems like the kind of guy Dayton Moore would have grossly overpaid for before getting laughed out of the GM meetings

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

In which, IIRC, he managed to dislocate his shoulder for like the third time in his career doing the elbow slam HR celebration.
yes thank you for your assistance in reliving that moment of pain

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1593277141700984833

Well I already know about all that stuff, which FO should I go work for

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've already sent my posting history to the Cubs FO I'm not sure why I haven't heard back yet, must be busy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
send my bananas video to them please, you can be my insider

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

probably Mark Grace

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

What's the penalty for something like that? Just a fine probably, right?

Maybe a midround draft pick or two

e: clicking through, looks like Crane could also be in trouble for saying Verlander wants a Scherzer deal

They give the 2001 World Series victory to the Mariners

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This poo poo is 90 minutes lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing they put this on MLB Network so I can't watch it.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1593389654379843587?s=20&t=S9P8KN0PWRMZw2hdnTpi0w

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kyle Lewis is absolutely broken. His knee is hosed. That being said if he can get his timing down, he might be an okay DH?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Culture/no room move for Seattle, hope he gets his head on straight and can stay healthy in Arizona. He's fun as hell if a healthy Kyle Lewis is still somewhere in him.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Kyle Lewis was reportedly super frustrated last year about not getting much time to play when he came back from injury. There was a huge hole in both corner outfield positions with Winker hugely slumping and Haniger not healthy, and Lewis could not stay on the field. All of his speed was completely gone from his leg injuries, he couldn't field well, and, worst of all, could no longer hit. I hope he gets healthy and becomes the next Ketel Marte down there.

Can't say I've heard of Cooper Hummel. Anyone know anything about this guy?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hummel seems like a AAAA outfielder, mashed in AAA but didn't hit this year. Lottery ticket at most it seems.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

reminds me that I saw this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1592910001655648257

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLB/status/1593390777526362114

Hell yeah

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
A bunch of nerds are going to pretend to be angry when the obvious choice, Aaron Judge, wins AL MVP.

Of course the obvious and easy solution to the Ohtani/Judge problem is for Judge to sign with an NL team, then for Ohtani to follow him to that team a year later.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not pretending

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s gonna be a poo poo show of pissy worst kind of fans no matter who wins.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pungry posted:

Kyle Lewis was reportedly super frustrated last year about not getting much time to play when he came back from injury. There was a huge hole in both corner outfield positions with Winker hugely slumping and Haniger not healthy, and Lewis could not stay on the field. All of his speed was completely gone from his leg injuries, he couldn't field well, and, worst of all, could no longer hit. I hope he gets healthy and becomes the next Ketel Marte down there.

Can't say I've heard of Cooper Hummel. Anyone know anything about this guy?

What's going on in Seattle? Lewis and Winker both traded/on the block for clubhouse reasons?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

live with fruit posted:

What's going on in Seattle? Lewis and Winker both traded/on the block for clubhouse reasons?

They’re two separate things.

Lewis was reportedly mad at the FO and coaching staff after his most recent demotion. There was friction going all the way back to his meniscus injury and rehab, he did a lot of it on his own and the lockout complicated things for the team. He also can’t move and hasn’t been a good hitter since 2020.

Winker pissed off some of the team vets. So far the only person to put their name on it, to my knowledge, is Ryan Divish. He has 2 main sources left in the clubhouse (Mitch and Marco) and has a history of being — let’s say — ambitious with his reporting?

Winker had a tough year and looked like dogshit at the plate but my read on it is the team attributes that mostly to his injuries. Probably still *some* tension there but Mitch is no longer a Mariner and Marco was almost traded at the deadline and will be shopped again so that might work itself out.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 18, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

live with fruit posted:

Why would you assume it's for clubhouse reasons and not because neither of them has really produced? Kyle has barely played in the MLB since he won RotY in 2020 and Winker was so bad we replaced him with Jarred Kelenic for the last part of the season and the whole postseason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ohtani is the MVP of my heart

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

they really dragging this out for 2 hours on MLBN?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They spent so long stringing out the announcement and then telegraphed it by having Stanton announce the winner.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Laaaaaame

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Judge is such a boring nice guy he’s pretending Alvarez was in the running.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
well its a good thing Judge showed up when the games really mattered, aka August