Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

tonedef131 posted:

I was referring to fresh nog. I’ve only done aged once and it’s currently 7ish years old if I recall correctly. Serve some at a holiday party every year and we all discuss how it’s changed. It’s more of a novelty and is way too strong to drink as a dessert or serve to an average person.

I'd like to start a batch now because I always procrastinate, and couldn't find anything else online.
Do you recommend sous vide'ing aged nog or is that overkill?

Pander posted:

I just made Alton's aged recipe too. I kinda wish I split the rum a bit, went all S&C and that's all I got from the nose. Used old Grand-dad bottled in bond and Pierre ferrand 1840. Only get S&C. I'm sure I'd miss the other flavors if they weren't there, but I'm hoping it mellows as it ages. Got the main batch I'm saving for Xmas in a growler, and taking tastes from a mason jar of overflow periodically before then cause I'm impatient.

Instructions unclear just drank all the S&C. But just to be clear, do you not recommend using S&C completely for the Alton Brown and splitting 1:1 w/ a Plantation or milder dark rum? I 'm a big fan of S&C, fernet, mallort but unfortunately this will probably be a mass distributed nog to friend and family and most (from my experience) are not down with the heavy S&C funk flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I think I’m going to whip up a batch of nog as well. I’m leaning half smith and half aged agricole. Tempted to throw some amaro nardini in there too. Just funk town all the flavors. Or some Madeira. I guess we’ll see how successful my booze excursion is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m sold on trying the Kingston Negroni. I can always turn it into my citrus juice version if I don’t like it!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gin was my first liquor that I really loved so I have a soft spot for it but my god the Smith & Cross funk is complemented so incredibly well by the campari and vermouth

splurge on the Carpano Antica too, it's good as hell in general but IMO makes a huge difference in that particular drink over Dolin or Cocchi (haven't tried it with Punt e Mes yet though)

e: I'd like to hear more about this citrus negroni though

e2: gently caress i'm totally out of vermouth

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 16, 2022

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

adnam posted:

I'd like to start a batch now because I always procrastinate, and couldn't find anything else online.
Do you recommend sous vide'ing aged nog or is that overkill?
I don’t know, I’ve never tried cooking the super boozy stuff. What I was referencing was a standard egg nog which is more like a dessert with bourbon as a flavoring agent than it is a cocktail. This thread seems more interested in the high-test style nog and I don’t know if the cook is worth the effort on those or would even come through. It would make for an interesting side by side though if you split the batch.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve been finishing off some old bottles before I restock my bar so I made an old fashioned with El Dorado 3 year, maple syrup and a dash each of orange and ango, and I’ll be damned if this isn’t the tastiest cocktail I’ve had in a while.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maple syrup is highly underrated in brown cocktails.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thanks for the inspiration, bit of warmth for the first snow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Today's photo is titled "why my wife shouldn't send me to whole foods for bol choy"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: I'd like to hear more about this citrus negroni though

e2: gently caress i'm totally out of vermouth

I don’t know if it’s good, but it’s what I drink:

Sleepy Juice
60ml Tanqueray
60ml Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
60ml Campari
Juice of 1 Grapefruit
Juice of 1 Medium sized Orange

Add to shaker mostly filled with ice, strain into glass.

Recommend to keep it to one.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Today's photo is titled "why my wife shouldn't send me to whole foods for bol choy"

that reminds me I need to buy more Plantation 5. Thank you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pander posted:

I just made Alton's aged recipe too. I kinda wish I split the rum a bit, went all S&C and that's all I got from the nose. Used old Grand-dad bottled in bond and Pierre ferrand 1840. Only get S&C. I'm sure I'd miss the other flavors if they weren't there, but I'm hoping it mellows as it ages. Got the main batch I'm saving for Xmas in a growler, and taking tastes from a mason jar of overflow periodically before then cause I'm impatient.

It will definitely mellow as it ages. I find that 3 months is about perfect, 3 weeks is the minimum. I usually save a bottle that I age for 1 year, but notice less mellowing past that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

AlexDeGruven posted:

8oz Bourbon
1oz Becherovka
2 cherries

This reminds me that I do have some Becherovka in the liquor cabinet. Any recommended cocktails for it?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
How about a Punchy's First Strike

.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Clement Créole Shrubb (or any orange liquor)
.25 oz Allspice Dram
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

One of my favs

Edit to add there should be 5 dashes of Peychauds on top of this thing to finish it off, I accidently left it out

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 18, 2022

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

adnam posted:

Instructions unclear just drank all the S&C. But just to be clear, do you not recommend using S&C completely for the Alton Brown and splitting 1:1 w/ a Plantation or milder dark rum? I 'm a big fan of S&C, fernet, mallort but unfortunately this will probably be a mass distributed nog to friend and family and most (from my experience) are not down with the heavy S&C funk flavors.
I love S+C but I'd still recommend 1:1 splitting it with something. Rhum agricole sounds like a neat idea. Could also see a straightforward rum like plantation 5.

And to be clear the nog is still delicious, and I have hopes for the aging, it just has been a little too one note because S+C is so dominant. Even if it doesn't mellow it's still super worth making. The growler in the fridge shall tempt me every day til Xmas.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok so eggnog weirds me out but I just made a Milk Punch and that might be my new holiday drink

Recipe I used was 1 1/4 bourbon, 1/2 rum, but I think I'm gonna try it with 3/4 of each. I used a Barbados rum but I wonder how it'd taste with a funky Jamaican...

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have this crazy idea to come up with a dirty martini interpretation even though I don't like juniper, vodka alone is boring, mostly haven't liked vermouth, and don't even have specific glassware. Thinking infuse some Polish rye vodka, Carpano dry, come up with a brine solution. Just the liquid from Castelvetranos jar was lackluster. I wonder if it's worth the effort. Punch has put out some good articles recently.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/best-ultimate-dirty-martini-cocktail-recipe/
https://punchdrink.com/articles/dirty-martini-cocktail-recipe-has-gotten-dirtier/

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The kernel of your concept sounds good, but why are you trying to make a drink you don't like?

(This isn't snark, what I'm saying is, if you figure out a more specific goal, like "halfway between a dirty martini and a [drink you like]" or "a dirty martini but with [flavor]" or "a savory pre-dinner drink," it'll be easier to come up with a good drink.)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Pander posted:

I love S+C but I'd still recommend 1:1 splitting it with something. Rhum agricole sounds like a neat idea. Could also see a straightforward rum like plantation 5.

And to be clear the nog is still delicious, and I have hopes for the aging, it just has been a little too one note because S+C is so dominant. Even if it doesn't mellow it's still super worth making. The growler in the fridge shall tempt me every day til Xmas.

So I did nog last year, think it was bitten word, with S&C as the rum. Like 3 weeks out it was seriously the dominant flavor and there was sort of a burning tire note to it. Not bad, but it took a couple sips to get into the glass. It took some time but definitely did mellow a bit. Here a year later, it has mellowed, but the S&C is definitely still there. It's good nog, just depends on how much you want a more traditional nog or Smitty Nog.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

How about a Punchy's First Strike

.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Clement Créole Shrubb (or any orange liquor)
.25 oz Allspice Dram
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

One of my favs

Lol I don't usually reach for tiki drinks, but now you've gone and got me ordering a bottle of allspice berries to make the dram.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Got an early Friendsgiving today, so last night I made up a batch us USS Richmond Punch. I haven't made this one recently, but the stock I made with the tea, lemons, sugar, and Gran Marnier tasted awesome, so I think it's gonna be great.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Pander posted:

Thanks. I’ve got me and 2 weirdos who swear by S&C. Having said that this is supposed to be ‘general release’ to friends and family so I might split the batches into +S&C for me, and -S&C for everybody else

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Are angostura cocoa bitters a close enough replacement for Xocolatl Molé bitters, or is it worth picking up both?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Toebone posted:

Are angostura cocoa bitters a close enough replacement for Xocolatl Molé bitters, or is it worth picking up both?

Without having tried angostura's specifically I would posit no. Mole bitters have extra spices that cocoa wouldn't, especially cinnamon. I have scrappy's and I wouldn't swap 1:1.

If you only wanna get one, get the mole bitters.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Pander posted:

Without having tried angostura's specifically I would posit no. Mole bitters have extra spices that cocoa wouldn't, especially cinnamon. I have scrappy's and I wouldn't swap 1:1.

If you only wanna get one, get the mole bitters.

I have both, and this is correct. The mole bitters are a whole different beast, and while there is nothing wrong with the ango cocoa, the mole has more versatility.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was ladies night tonight. Had some neighborhood lady friends over to hang out and make them drinks and hang out with my SO and stuff. For some reason the girls are more fun to make drinks for than the guys. Anyway, I made one a pina colada and tweeked the recipe just a little bit and whoa...amazing pina colada.

I rarely drink this much so am pretty buzzed.

Anyway:

6 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coco lopez
1 oz trader joes coconut milk
1 oz el dorado 3
1/2 oz koloa coconut rum
1/2 koloa dark rum (the vanilla one)
a squeeze of lemon juice, rougnly a tsp
about 1tbsp of passionfruit syrup
and 1 tbsp of honey syrup
1 cup of crushed ice
blend

I made it for her and tasted the remains in the blending cup and immediately made one for myself.

I had about twice my normal limit because I try to be responsible and stuff so yeah. Anyway, best pina colada I've ever had. Very dangerous. Probably helps that I'd already had a Puka Punch beforhand. Hahhaa. Cheers.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just tried my 2 week old nog. It has a strong smell of rum and and weak smell of tire, and has a more rum forward taste and finishes with the cognac flavor. Maybe next year I'll lower the rum percentage. I was worried since I was low on the bourbon and subbed about 1/4 of the required amt with a whistlepig 10yr rye nip i had- doesn't come out at all.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waltzing Along posted:

For some reason the girls are more fun to make drinks for than the guys.
I think there's a dumb masculinity thing where guys think they're only supposed to drink straight spirits. My brother won't drink anything more complex than an Old Fashioned (thankfully OFs are delicious), and whenever the wife and I host friends the ladies are into mixed drinks and the guys are a lot slower to open up about what they'd like.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought some St Remy XO and I don’t know what to do with it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Professor Shark posted:

I bought some St Remy XO and I don’t know what to do with it.

Make a sidecar. Make a black rider. It's good in an old fashioned and also good just sipped.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Has anyone in this thread made their own amaretto, and if so do you have a recipe?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Make a sidecar. Make a black rider. It's good in an old fashioned and also good just sipped.

This. Also make an all-brandy sazerac (or a 2:1 brandy-to-rye sazerac) or a crusta, or a Widow's Kiss, or a stinger.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brandy/rye and brandy/rum Sazeracs are off the chain.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

Got an early Friendsgiving today, so last night I made up a batch us USS Richmond Punch. I haven't made this one recently, but the stock I made with the tea, lemons, sugar, and Gran Marnier tasted awesome, so I think it's gonna be great.

Gonna make this one for Thanksgiving, thanks for the recipe! Since I live in the middle of nowhere I had to settle for Hennessy VS and a $12 1.5L bottle of California "port" :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I made a batch of milk punch for the in-laws and multiple people asked for seconds so I think I did OK :thumbsup:

1/2c brandy (I used cheap VS cognac)
1/2c dark jamaican rum (I used plantation dark)
2c milk
1/4c maple syrup
1tsp vanilla extract

next time I'm gonna plan ahead and make milk ice cubes too

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Gonna make this one for Thanksgiving, thanks for the recipe! Since I live in the middle of nowhere I had to settle for Hennessy VS and a $12 1.5L bottle of California "port" :v:

It'll probably still be really good! Henny VS is fine, and CA port is close enough. Make sure the tea is very strong to give some extra tannins the port might be missing, and don't skim on the oils. You can peel the lemons and express the oils from the peels by hand if you don't have time to make a proper oleo-saccharum.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to try out the Sidecar. For some reason I thought that was a gin based drink.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Scythe posted:

The kernel of your concept sounds good, but why are you trying to make a drink you don't like?

(This isn't snark, what I'm saying is, if you figure out a more specific goal, like "halfway between a dirty martini and a [drink you like]" or "a dirty martini but with [flavor]" or "a savory pre-dinner drink," it'll be easier to come up with a good drink.)

You are right, it's really a different sort of savory drink, shouldn't put it in a box so much. I'll keep thinking on this one. I already have a savory drink in my repertoire so I gotta think what I want to do different. I'm share that one:
Gansett Beer
Super lime juice
Low sodium V8
Little white overproof rum
Little strong horseradish vodka
Umami-vinegar liquid blend
Celery Bitters

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I’m going to try out the Sidecar. For some reason I thought that was a gin based drink.

Gin sidecars are good too, and fairly popular. But the classic is with cognac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have Imbibe! and Cocktail Codex. Any other must have books?
Im not going to have a whole bookshelf of cocktail books so the best 1 or 2 ones.