Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So at this point the message is 'if you're not already a millionaire go gently caress yourself', right? I've worked hard the last 10 years and just started earning what i until very recently would have thought of as silly money... And yes I'm extremely comfortable financially compared to where i was a decade ago, albeit the cost of working myself into the ground to get here. But here I am, getting stick from all my friends for being 'rich' and trying to explain to them that there is a big and ever growing gap between being a well paid employee rather than being legitimately wealthy and I'm on the same side of that gap as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think unfortunately the fundamental resolution when this happens is "no I wanted to do that and have it work"

Whether or not something works is not a function of its interaction with reality but whether or not you believe it in enough.

This is in fact pretty much exactly how Austrian School economics work

Von Mises posted:

Praxeology is a theoretical and systematic, not a historical, science...Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification or falsification on the ground of experience and facts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is also a quite large gap between people who have any sort of security and people on the bottom, unfortunately.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

OwlFancier posted:

There is also a quite large gap between people who have any sort of security and people on the bottom, unfortunately.

True. And I know if I tried to explain to a younger verson of myself that I've just got a whole different kind of insecurity now we'd both come away thinking i'm a bit of a twat.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Oh yeah the Singapore government was really into this too.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I love this juxtaposition with the GDPR stuff

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593391604785504257?t=D46mqpSe_Ah77Ii9Ygr2hg&s=19
Wonder what we'll wake up to tomorrow! I feel like the next logical step in this shitshow is for Rowling to buy out the remains and go full terf.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol, this is nothing to worry about. The building will just be doing an update.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mano posted:

Ok, I'm gonna ask this and probably regret it. I've seen those things and they have quite a bit of power. How exactly do you use that thing on the pic without getting all your clothes or the whole bathroom dripping wet?

You control the force by how hard you depress the lever, you also control it by opening and closing the faucet. It actually doesn't spill even at higher pressures I've found, just cleans your rear end real good. You just sit on the toilet anyway so that contains everything well.

Also beaten by a lot I see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If god loved us he would have given us a self cleaning arsehole.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hey, I clean myself

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Diet Crack posted:

I love this juxtaposition with the GDPR stuff

Yesterday the Ghostery chrome extension has an update which now auto-rejects cookies on every website you visit :getin:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593391604785504257?t=D46mqpSe_Ah77Ii9Ygr2hg&s=19
Wonder what we'll wake up to tomorrow! I feel like the next logical step in this shitshow is for Rowling to buy out the remains and go full terf.

Imagine th future if Musk’s babies do overrun the world and this level of brilliance is everywhere

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'll be sad if Twitter dies, but can take some solace in knowing this must be boiling the piss of centrist dickheads and TERFs whose career is basically Twitter posting.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

reportedly twitter doesnt have payroll anymore and there's only 300 odd employees left out of their thousands

so, at this stage, it's safe to say that twitter's going to be dead sooner or later

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Elon's working on evolving us towards that, one apartheid billionaire/anorexic waif baby at a time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

KM Scorchio posted:

So at this point the message is 'if you're not already a millionaire go gently caress yourself', right? I've worked hard the last 10 years and just started earning what i until very recently would have thought of as silly money... And yes I'm extremely comfortable financially compared to where i was a decade ago, albeit the cost of working myself into the ground to get here. But here I am, getting stick from all my friends for being 'rich' and trying to explain to them that there is a big and ever growing gap between being a well paid employee rather than being legitimately wealthy and I'm on the same side of that gap as them.

I'm sort of in the same boat (though don't have friends who cast judgment on eachothers income).

My wife's income and mine put us just into the "top 10%" of UK earners according to that chart that was floating about earlier in the year, but I can't recall if it showed just how much of a difference in income say 8% to 7% vs 9% to 8%, etc vs how many people were earning that amount.

Like at one of those points it should just loving shoot up dramatically to show the divide in who has all the money.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This page has a spreadsheet of percentiles up to 2019-2020 tax year (which was only added in 2022, so seems a few years behind).

I don't have friends who judge, but I am constantly conscious of not wanting to seem tactless since they're from a broad range of economic situations. Fortunately we're all British enough to not discuss our salaries, only my wife and my parents know.

Kin posted:

Like at one of those points it should just loving shoot up dramatically to show the divide in who has all the money.

It really does.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

$44bn of your and other people’s money to make a suicide run at Twitter. It’s fascinating really.

E: the percentiles would be very interesting to see the 1%. My strong suspicion is that if you zoomed in on the 99th percentile you would see the same distribution as the whole thing, like one of those fractals. Every distribution having a broad low base before going nuts at the right hand side.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 18, 2022

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

tithin posted:

reportedly twitter doesnt have payroll anymore and there's only 300 odd employees left out of their thousands

so, at this stage, it's safe to say that twitter's going to be dead sooner or later

At this point it's probably better to link screenshots than the tweets lmao:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's just really fun watching all the Capitalist Visionary Geniuses immediately turn into gibbering loving idiots the second their free money ran out. Problem is we've tied up our entire economy to dipshit like this and are merely sitting Wile E. Coyote style at the edge of the cliff waiting for physics to catch up to us.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's just really fun watching all the Capitalist Visionary Geniuses immediately turn into gibbering loving idiots the second their free money ran out. Problem is we've tied up our entire economy to dipshit like this and are merely sitting Wile E. Coyote style at the edge of the cliff waiting for physics to catch up to us.

I can assure you the free money running out is not what turned Musk into a gibbering idiot.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/chinchillazllla/status/1593537038913085441?s=46&t=CkjpdO8vGbZyt-rYrOPmEw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've seen the tweet that explains the lockout. Musk directly fired the keycard support guy. And then, of course, asked him to come back to fix what had gone wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

I've seen the tweet that explains the lockout. Musk directly fired the keycard support guy. And then, of course, asked him to come back to fix what had gone wrong.

That's a shitposter. They did basically lose all of HR from the sound of it though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

That was from a joke account. Check bios and timelines, people.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This page has a spreadsheet of percentiles up to 2019-2020 tax year (which was only added in 2022, so seems a few years behind).

I don't have friends who judge, but I am constantly conscious of not wanting to seem tactless since they're from a broad range of economic situations. Fortunately we're all British enough to not discuss our salaries, only my wife and my parents know.

It really does.

It’s funny because when I first went to Uni 22 years ago I was in halls with a guy who said his dad earned £50k and I thought that was a huge salary. Now both my wife are both creeping up on that number and don’t feel rich in any way; we’re definitely comfortable but it’s mostly because we live in a fairly cheap area. There’s obviously still a huge gulf between us and the people who can afford to send their kids to Bradford Grammar School which is just around the corner (fees: £14k per year).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

It’s funny because when I first went to Uni 22 years ago I was in halls with a guy who said his dad earned £50k and I thought that was a huge salary.

Look on that percentile chart and see how it *is* a huge salary. Then think how many people must be earning dogshit for you to be that high on the chart.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What a joke of an event this is

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1593538940891500544

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lowtax Elon Musk :aaaaa:

We're through the looking glass here people

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Noxville posted:

It’s funny because when I first went to Uni 22 years ago I was in halls with a guy who said his dad earned £50k and I thought that was a huge salary. Now both my wife are both creeping up on that number and don’t feel rich in any way; we’re definitely comfortable but it’s mostly because we live in a fairly cheap area. There’s obviously still a huge gulf between us and the people who can afford to send their kids to Bradford Grammar School which is just around the corner (fees: £14k per year).

To be fair £50k that long ago would be equivalent to £80-90k now after inflation. Which is a solid income, but still possibly working class depending where you live & how it is spent.

There's going to be a pretty significant quality of life difference between someone on that income living in London and still needing to rent, versus someone living in a cheaper area of the country and aggressively saving / paying down a mortgage as quickly as possible. Under this government the former person is still completely hosed if they're suddenly unable to work for any reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat I can't believe the fascist theocratic monarchy held true to its principles. Good thing FIFA did due diligence and didn't just pocket an obvious bribe.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Look on that percentile chart and see how it *is* a huge salary. Then think how many people must be earning dogshit for you to be that high on the chart.

Oh yeah I know it’s still significantly above the median. Everyone should be able to live a comfortable life, it shouldn’t take two people salaries significantly above the median in a significantly below average value house to do it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

drat I can't believe the fascist theocratic monarchy held true to its principles. Good thing FIFA did due diligence and didn't just pocket an obvious bribe.

the last one was in russia so i'm guessing the next is north korea

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DPRK has reversed its policy on allowing visiting fans safe return without a contractual 18 months of indentured servitude.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Much worse, it's in America

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Worse - North America

E: :argh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Having to watch football totally sober is a serious breach of human rights, what next? Hot dogs with ketchup?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
no see we are not corrupt we are bringing the world together through foot-balls, instead, heheheheheh omnomonomonomo delicious blood money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1593521456528465920?s=46&t=cxca77PsSGBQAyNLVc3_eA