Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is a person who earns £110,000 now going to pay any more tax under the new budget?

I don't think so, but someone earning £130k would, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is a person who earns £110,000 now going to pay any more tax under the new budget?

This year? No.

Next year and beyond? No, but if they get a pay rise - even one less than inflation - the tax thresholds won't increase in line with it, so more of than pay increase will be taxed then is "supposed" to happen.

Frankly I don't think pausing thresholds for fiscal drag is a huge deal - the assumption they should increase with inflation is itself a political decision that costs money, no more natural than not raising them. If we had strong salary growth maybe, but lol that happening anytime under a tory government.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Percentile chat:

In the 2006-7 tax year (last time I was working full-time in a regular, f/t, 'Class 1' job) I was between the 88th & 89th percentile. (£42k).

This is 2019-20 £55-£56k or 2% increase in that percentile for 13 years. On the same increase rate that would be about £59.4k for the 89th percentile now.

Now though I'm on full-time-equivalent 39th percentile assuming the same 2% year on year. But only work part-time hours (in theory! Often do considerable unrewarded overtime as do my colleagues - the perils of working for a charity!). How are the mighty fallen LOL

I do have a small work pension on top of that though which just pushes me over the personal tax allowance.

But at least my little 26sq.m. dwelling is fully paid up so I only have the service charges to pay on that not a mortgage or rent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1593579069626515456?s=19

So utterly worthless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Bring back Livejournal?

My vote is for AOL Message Boards.
I used to get free broadband (when it first became available back in the dim & distant late 1990s) in exchange for being a board host (more or less a moderator).

Kieth photo:
That is one weird photo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whomst amongst us has not made out with the mirror

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

And there's me thinking it was our job to make pathetic kieth memes. Now the Times is doing it for us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does... the magazine give you the recipe for making keir starmer...?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm currently in a hard-fought battle to get a raise to as much as new starters on my team get paid (HR hosed up and put the salary in a job ad, which I saw and nobody else did) and move from the 95th to 96th percentile. I think my wife is 50th (also for a charity).

It feels liberating to be able to discuss it with strangers (and god you cunts are strange).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spoken with all the energy of a man being threated by multiple guns held just off-screen

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If he doesn't sell enough albums they're going to release the nonce file on him before he dies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh thought you were talking about starmer

god imagine if he released an album

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thing can only get better would definitely be the opening track

gently caress I just remembered that Liz Truss came out to that at party conference hahaha

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And that help is to pay for the 20 grand he will have to pay to light that fire and christmas lights.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone recommend a Mastodon server?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

On the rear end. Multiple times

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Just steam a gammon for three years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I don't think so, but someone earning £130k would, for example.

Thats what I thought. Yet some silly tosser on jeremy vine who knows hes very privileged to earn 100k but, presumably unlike everyone else, he worked really hard for it and now hes questioning why because hes stuck paying more tax and he might have to go part time because he just cant bear the ghastly thought of paying more tax, but is prepared to earn less.

Its always been like this its how tax works? No one challenged it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thats what I thought. Yet some silly tosser on jeremy vine who knows hes very privileged to earn 100k but, presumably unlike everyone else, he worked really hard for it and now hes questioning why because hes stuck paying more tax and he might have to go part time because he just cant bear the ghastly thought of paying more tax, but is prepared to earn less.

With the number of loving U-turns in policy, who can even keep track of whether said tosser was referring to something Kwarteng said, comparing that with now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Big Gerry having one last Twitter chuckle

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/1593582494582030338

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The part time stuff suggests there's a very good chance this person doesn't understand marginal tax rates. Every job I've worked at I've had to explain to someone that no, moving into the 40% tax bracket doesn't mean that you now pay 40% tax on everything you earn

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tarnop posted:

The part time stuff suggests there's a very good chance this person doesn't understand marginal tax rates. Every job I've worked at I've had to explain to someone that no, moving into the 40% tax bracket doesn't mean that you now pay 40% tax on everything you earn

I am not fortunate enough to have this problem myself, but I did hear a friend talking about there being a situation between something like £100-110k where you'd end up worse off than at £99k. I don't recall what it was, or know if it's accurate.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I am not fortunate enough to have this problem myself, but I did hear a friend talking about there being a situation between something like £100-110k where you'd end up worse off than at £99k. I don't recall what it was, or know if it's accurate.

I am not in this situation myself but this is accurate, I think particularly if you have children in nursery - the 30 hours free childcare allowance is only for those on less than £100k a year. And since nurseries can cost £1600 a month for full time care, someone on £99k will have net income higher than someone on £100k. The rules are also weird in terms of households - two parents, each earning £99k will qualify for 30 hours free childcare. But if one parent earns £100k and the other £30k, they won’t.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Over 100k you start to lose your bottom end personal allowance but at half the rate you earn more so you should never pay more tax than if you earned less. I think.

I'm sure he also said he was on an effective 60% rate above 100k? Like he thinks he pays 20% on his salary and then another 40% on eveything over 100k? Yeah I think thats what he must think.

He earns all this money, has obviously never actually counted it, and gone on the radio to complain about it. But is totally wrong.

And nothing just changed for him now anyway.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There is a effective 60% rate on earnings between 100k-125k, because you're both being charged at 40% and also losing some personal allowance. Then at 125k you're only paying 45% marginal rate, which is silly given it was 60% before.

Clearly the answer is to keep personal allowance static, and have a actual 45% band at 100k and 60% band at 125k.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Gaza posted:

I am not in this situation myself but this is accurate, I think particularly if you have children in nursery - the 30 hours free childcare allowance is only for those on less than £100k a year. And since nurseries can cost £1600 a month for full time care, someone on £99k will have net income higher than someone on £100k. The rules are also weird in terms of households - two parents, each earning £99k will qualify for 30 hours free childcare. But if one parent earns £100k and the other £30k, they won’t.

This is why my boss keeps voting tory!
She earns under £30k FTE (well as she is PT its more like £12k - I do the finances so I know what it is) but her husband earns £60k (there's some cut off point around there) so they don't get a childcare allowance of some sort (don't ask me, I don't have kids and am not up on the ins & outs of childcare tax reliefs) but her friends - a couple earning £45k each - same gross pay - do get it and they vote labour.

I did say to her that even if it was something Labour dreamed up last time they were the govt (I have no idea), tories have now been in govt 12 years so it must be exactly how they want it to be because 12 years is surely long enough for them to change things.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There is a effective 60% rate on earnings between 100k-125k, because you're both being charged at 40% and also losing some personal allowance. Then at 125k you're only paying 45% marginal rate, which is silly given it was 60% before.

Clearly the answer is to keep personal allowance static, and have a actual 45% band at 100k and 60% band at 125k.

oh so he is right?

fair enough.

It still didnt just change with this budget though so I dunno why its a problem now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oh so he is right?

Numbers aren't quite right any more but the principle is accurate.

The big one is the huge jump when you've got 2 kids and move from 50-60k.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A lot of the rules around child benefit and personal allowance withdrawal are really stupid and counter-productive.

There's someone out there with 3 kids and a plan 2 student loan who is paying a marginal tax rate of 77% on all income between £50k and £60k.

Or someone with 3 young kids and an income of £99,999, for whom any pay rise would lose them money until they started earning over £119,000.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

peanut- posted:

Or someone with 3 young kids and an income of £99,999, for whom any pay rise would lose them money until they started earning over £119,000.

How would it actually lose them money?

Because the tax free allowance is lost gradually with every extra amount earned above 100k would they not just benefit less from the pay rise rather than actually lose money?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 18, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This kind of silliness is why means testing is looked on poorly in the thread. Large amounts of effort and administration to remove benefits from a small group of earners in the top 10%-20% which pisses them off, confuses everyone else, and could just be replaced by higher marginal rates if you really were concerned.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Camrath posted:

Here, always watching, waiting for the fudge signal to shine in the night sky..
Edit: Also, the Master Fudge Maker now has an apprentice! Who produced a perfect batch of salted caramel last night to complete his initial training!

Congrats on to you and your new apprentice!

My Kitchen French is sorely lacking these days or i would say it all proper like. :D

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How would it actually lose them money?

Because the tax free allowance is lost gradually with every extra amount earned above 100k would they not just benefit less from the pay rise rather than actually lose money?

Because £100k is a hard stop for the £2k per year per kid you can get from the government as child care subsidy, and the high marginal tax rate that applies in the £100-125k band means it takes a surprisingly large gross salary increase to make that back.

The three kids all receiving child care subsidy example is extreme, but it applies to people with one or two kids as well. It's the kind of silly outcome that a tax system should try and avoid.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

For those looking forward to Xmas with the extended family (36.5 days to go!)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For those looking forward to Xmas with the extended family (36.5 days to go!)

I’m going to be stuck in northern France with my high Tory dad who is literally a soundboard filled with Murdochian talking points, my self-acclaimed centrist mother and my smug extremely wealthy claims-to-be-liberal-but-is-a-shy-Tory brother. At the moment I’m torn between faking gastroenteritis, leaning into it and wearing my ‘all I want for Christmas is the means of production’ sweater or murder-suicide as options. Because it’s gonna suck either way.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
This is the Christmas for victory laps.

Remember when the IEA got everything it ever wanted in a mini budget and the markets had to stop pretending and everything went poo poo?

Remember when a conservative governor in South Korea decided to renege on bond payments for Legoland in what was described as a‘Truss-ian level act of economic self-harm’?’

Remember Elon Musk?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1593637756982411264?s=46&t=Cjsp3P3KDeO1w0SZEVWeqg

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
B̵͙̅̔Û̴͚͙̤͗T̴̼̘̓̉ ̵̧̄̅̀W̶͙̅̍̅Ḩ̵̗̝̈́͝A̵̬̐T̶̠̑̀̒ ̷̈́͜A̴͍̝͛̆̈́B̸̛̌͜͝O̴͍͕̠͋Ṵ̶̂̌͋Ṯ̵̠̑͆̕ ̶̨̗̮̀D̸̟̓͗̆E̶̱̓̕B̴̫̹͑͝Ȃ̴̻T̶̠̰͕͊E̶͔͉͓͋͐͝

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Found kieth's electability

https://twitter.com/DruidaGames/status/1593603884148264962