Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Lightspeed ramming was good, but not as good as the Reinforce Jr ramming into the Zanscare fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Antonymous posted:

if one of my film friends came up to me and said "I have a really hosed up kink, I worry about it leaking into my writing" I'd think theyre an idiot. write what you know. the screen is a fantasy space. if only for the spectacle.

I'm seriously balking at the accusations levied. whedon's writing sucks but strong female character is an excellent fetish to harness

I'm balking at the idea that you're interpreting my criticism as against strong female characters and not him being a loving weirdo about it. Like I'm not going into detail about it because it's been ages since I was subjected to any of his garbage but I remember getting a pretty distinct vibe from his work and was completely unsurprised when the dirt on him came out.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Lightspeed ramming was good, but not as good as the Reinforce Jr ramming into the Zanscare fleet.

gravity bombs but in space dropped by space b-17s was also so stupidly silly it was fun/good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its ok I never watched his stuff

I never read lolita or catcher either

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I heard IT has a pre-teen orgy to defeat the clown so it is a double edged sword

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Lolita and Catcher in the Rye were good reads as a kid. Lolita is a genuinely good book. They both are good at helping you identify different types of lovely behaviors and people (pedophiles and phonies) as all literature should be.

edit: what im saying is if you read those you'd have gotten what people meant about joss whedon and his writing/characters

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Nov 18, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I played Bayonetta 1 tho. and that was enough

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Antonymous posted:

blue velvet

when i first watched blue velvet the music felt like somethnig i'd never heard before

also this slipped under the radar

https://twitter.com/revolucienary/status/1593338641014734850

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

and Santa replied, “my dear precious Jesus, it was then that I carried you”

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

when i first watched blue velvet the music felt like somethnig i'd never heard before

also this slipped under the radar

https://twitter.com/revolucienary/status/1593338641014734850

"Movie" "reviewer" FRaUD, Tim Heidecker, tried to get Certified Movie Buff, Gregg Turkington to review this "Movie" despite it being a TV show. It was detestable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"all right, Tim, here's the elevator pitch: Santa says the n word."

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
santa cancelling the reindeer games because every participant is a pervert who wants nose hormone treatment after last year's rudolph showing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

uber_stoat posted:

"all right, Tim, here's the elevator pitch: Santa says the n word."

Noel?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

unless of course....palpatine were declared

*all jedi hold their heads like they have an ice cream headache*

...palpatine were declared

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

found via a film forum..... looks like SAG accidentally posted public streaming access to Triangle of Sadness....... lol

okay i might watch it now this weekend

https://www.sagawards.org/mpnc29/DigitalScreeners

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wouldn't you need a PIN?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

wouldn't you need a PIN?

why don't you click the link and scroll down to triangle of sadness buddy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i got asked for a pin

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

i got asked for a pin

look at the line below the link

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

why don't you click the link and scroll down to triangle of sadness buddy

lmao, amazing. i guess ill give it a watch

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks also its pretty funny so far

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I am also watching The Vow and mesmerized by people's gullibility, particularly (it seems) white people from middle-upper class backgrounds. It's very easy to analyze this as a case study of class. Like scientology, people from well-off backgrounds lack a materialist worldview and are susceptible to meaningless platitudes and abstractions which is primarily what comes out of the leader's mouth as "wisdom".

The approach of 'bettering the world' is narcissistic. The premise is that becoming successful will by definition better the world. It even brings to mind elements of Prosperity Gospel.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This movie is transcendent; thank you sag

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Loren & Rose is apparently also freely accessible, though Triangle of Sadness sounds like the more interesting film

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I looked up the cast of triangle of sadness and I was surprised the main actress is already dead

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I looked up the cast of triangle of sadness and I was surprised the main actress is already dead

wow spoilers?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

never beating Cobra Triangle was my personal triangle of sadness

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah you should all watch Triangle of Sadness

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

yah she passed before its release from a respiratory illness. sucks, RIP

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

yah she passed before its release from a respiratory illness. sucks, RIP

oh weird. i wonder if there is something like that going around? should I be concerned?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh weird. i wonder if there is something like that going around? should I be concerned?

nah, that's all over now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81476942

new netflix documentary on the Pepsi Jet, it is excellent lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Triangle of sadness is really really funny and a pretty self aware deconstruction of politics. It's really good.

Like it's so good. God drat i may need to rewatch it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Triangle of Sadness is a bit too slow and the relationship drama in the latter half is really bogging it down

edit: also everything goes to poo poo because of a drunk communist so that goes pretty much against the whole message of the film

ymgve has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Nov 18, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The real triangle of sadness was the boat tyrant we fingered along the way

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think the third act wiped out a lot of momentum to try and approach its themes from another angle and that didn't work for me. It almost forgets its main characters in the 2nd act and then tries to slowly bring them back in for the ending which was OK. The reversal with Abigail (that's her name right?) was good but idk how exactly it fit into the themes it almost subverts them...

the transition into the 3rd act is not really explored, it's like immediately dropped, but whatever

it wasn't slow for me but I saw it in a theater and people are wincing and laughing and holding their breath so that may make a big difference, like most movies its better as a collective event where youre forced to keep attention on the screen

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Nov 18, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Riot Bimbo posted:

Triangle of sadness is really really funny and a pretty self aware deconstruction of politics. It's really good.

Like it's so good. God drat i may need to rewatch it

i finished it and think has a bunch of great vignettes but ends up being less than the sum of its parts

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think it's good but if i had a gripe it's that the working class lady cum boat tyrant's arc feels like a huge rear end copout

like it's a movie that's clearly got a pretty real message most of the way through, but her arc feels like a sort of Lord Of The Flies-esque anxiety about what it means. Like that book is about the assumption that humans are ultimately feral and in dire need of civilization or some stupid poo poo, and this one basically presumes that any attempt to level or destroy a hierarchy is merely an attempt to rebuild it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aight there's a giant twist at the end of ep 2 of the netflix pepsi jet documentary that's extremely c-spam, but i don't wanna spoil it