Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Saw some article about a company 3d printing an entire neighborhood in Houston? I think it was. They're taking reservations for sales in 2023/2024, starting price: $400,000

wtf is the point of 3d printed homes when an 800 sq ft shitbox costs a fortune (real answer: the cost savings are passed onto the construction company, not the buyer)

3D printing is just a buzzword, Levitt was throwing up single family homes in a day from prefab components in 1947.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
3D concrete printing is real, it's just not (how loving shocking) the technological panacea that the media wants it to be. It's a method of laying down concrete, which is probably legitimately useful, but a lot of "3D printed home" prototypes still use conventional stick framing all over the place.

As usual, the media is desperate to sell excitement, so they assign all kinds of insane attributes to a fairly mundane and unremarkable technology. Just the term "3D printed house" is complete marketing garbage since you are, at most, printing some concrete walls and nothing else.

Edit- PIR printing is the real funny one, though, because ICF blocks already exist and I've never heard anyone actually explain why printing polyiso makes any sense except in cases where you want to make weird curvy houses or something

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Nov 17, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cool, now you get to have a house covered in lovely chipping paint while the entire neighborhood has brick that can last another 100 years. Also 100% the flipper painted over serious issues that will costs >$100k to fix. Shopping for a house taught me to avoid flipper houses. Always a ton of bullshit wrong with them, from poor craftmanship to deadly creative electrical work.

edit: I love that realtor.com shows all the nearby homes valued at $100k cheaper and not looking like a poo poo remodel.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Nov 17, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
google street view is your friend so you can see how house’s exterior has changed over past 10 years or so.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

3D concrete printing is real, it's just not (how loving shocking) the technological panacea that the media wants it to be. It's a method of laying down concrete, which is probably legitimately useful, but a lot of "3D printed home" prototypes still use conventional stick framing all over the place.

As usual, the media is desperate to sell excitement, so they assign all kinds of insane attributes to a fairly mundane and unremarkable technology. Just the term "3D printed house" is complete marketing garbage since you are, at most, printing some concrete walls and nothing else.

Edit- PIR printing is the real funny one, though, because ICF blocks already exist and I've never heard anyone actually explain why printing polyiso makes any sense except in cases where you want to make weird curvy houses or something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_City_Historic_District

Concrete houses built in 1917 as an experiment, still look great. Just wasn't profitable enough I guess.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

concrete block is huge in Florida. growing up there it was a shock when houses weren’t made of concrete block. houses were either historic, block, or trailers.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_City_Historic_District

Concrete houses built in 1917 as an experiment, still look great. Just wasn't profitable enough I guess.

love these homes, thank you for the example

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

love these $600,000+ for sale 4bd houses in small towns with 2bd apartment kitchens in them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i am harry posted:

love these $600,000+ for sale 4bd houses in small towns with 2bd apartment kitchens in them

this kitchen looks huge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is that island

what the hell

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

euphronius posted:

what is that island

what the hell

looks like it is set at the height for someone in a wheelchair

Apr 7, 2003

looks like a pass-through breakfast counter thing, not an island

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Load bearing coffee table

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

600,000$ table.

with house attached

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mawarannahr posted:

this kitchen looks huge

"I want to turn this galley kitchen into an open concept, but why don't we just take half of the wall to the old formal dining room down and turn it into an island"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i am harry posted:

that is a mess!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I like the giant gap under the counter next to the stove you could fit in pretty easily if this is your elderly nanas house and you’re a child playing hide and seek

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i am harry posted:

I like the giant gap under the counter next to the stove you could fit in pretty easily if this is your elderly nanas house and you’re a child playing hide and seek

are you still in the gap? should we send help?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I know a couple who intentionally decorated their house with poo poo like this (not to sell or anything), and it's just like what the gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it'd probably be a bad idea to prep your house for sale with a giant shark fathead and a Bible quote. just my first blush impression.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems fine if you're into that kind of thing (the shark, not the bible quote)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

but wait there's more

Apr 7, 2003

some real sicko poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2822-Dwight-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M30723-82999

Love the traditional Steelers Blanket-as-curtain

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

im not one to criticize people for being unable to afford nice stuff but man, like, a lovely metal bedframe is cheap on amazon and lovely vinyl blinds are like twenty dollars if that at home depot

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

im not one to criticize people for being unable to afford nice stuff but man, like, a lovely metal bedframe is cheap on amazon and lovely vinyl blinds are like twenty dollars if that at home depot

Otoh blanket and you keep 20 bucks

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Crusty Nutsack posted:

but wait there's more

lol 3 phone jacks next to the couch

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've looked at too much r/neckbeardnests to be phased by that room

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

there's a house down the street from me with Trump MAGA flags as curtains. They're all shredded and faded by the sunlight. :sad:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Someone swept the floor specifically for the picture

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

why aren't these places using that software that replaces uggo furnishings with tasteful decor?

like, even fsbo listings use that poo poo these days, but this is repped by a sotheby's affiliate, which is extra lol given the sotheby name's (former) cachet.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Forget it Willa, it's Pittsburgh

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

why aren't these places using that software that replaces uggo furnishings with tasteful decor?

like, even fsbo listings use that poo poo these days, but this is repped by a sotheby's affiliate, which is extra lol given the sotheby name's (former) cachet.

You can't use that software for listings in pittsburgh because it just turns all the images into blank white squares

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the last 3 rental leases I've signed specifically stated that you can't cover your windows with anything other than curtains or blinds.

Apr 7, 2003

I thought that was a student flophouse but it looks like it’s been owned by the same family for a while so I guess they’ve got one failson

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

tasteful decor?

well let's not go overboard calling it tasteful

extreme magnolia from target energy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

but wait there's more