Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Chalks posted:

The anti-infantry use for these rockets was clear from the design, but it didn't occur to me that any vehicle caught in the blast isn't just damaged, but literally every single component is comprehensively destroyed. Can't salvage a single thing.
The designers of the munition probably knew that it would cause damage to soft targets like trucks, radar, etc.... I am really surprised with all the puncture holes in just the 1 truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Incredible “Russian guy comes into work at 8am on Monday” energy from this one.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Budzilla posted:

The designers of the munition probably knew that it would cause damage to soft targets like trucks, radar, etc.... I am really surprised with all the puncture holes in just the 1 truck.

You might be surprised about the wide gamut of things tungsten balls flying extremely fast consider "soft". An IFV or APC are decently likely to be holed from above. An actual tank hit by that sort of thing is likely to be mission-killed if not outright destroyed through the loss of optics, engine, guns, fuel tanks, etc.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chalks posted:

A while ago there were a bunch of posts about new HIMARS munitions that contain thousands of steel balls. Here's a Russian mechanic giving his assessment of how effective these things are:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1593573406829678593

The anti-infantry use for these rockets was clear from the design, but it didn't occur to me that any vehicle caught in the blast isn't just damaged, but literally every single component is comprehensively destroyed. Can't salvage a single thing.

That's absolutely insane.

The tires, yeah that makes sense. Fuel tank is just lined sheet metal so that's understandable. But the structural steel frame and engine supports? The loving turbocharger?!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Tungsten pellets, not steel, I believe. Videos of the aftermath of those have been coming out for a while now, but that one is exceptionally shredded.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 18, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Yeah, those munitions would gently caress up even modern, western MBTs. You could probably get an Abrams running again with a new power pack (engine), swapping out all of the ammo (which probably blew up), and using your auxiliary gunner's sight (which is very well protected), but...yeah. Also you'd be lucky to have no fuel tanks without a single hole. Also your NBC system wouldn't work.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I remember the first time at my old job (steel smelting) I was asked to shovel tungsten into the furnace. God, the fuckers laughed at me when I tried to pick up the shovel. That poo poo is absurdly dense/heavy.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/SporrerWolfgang/status/1593596922488578056?s=20&t=LWQrBlDNoU36fbGKQYYbMQ

Capitalism, uh, finds a way.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

USA does not gently caress around with munitions, as Russia is finding out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

AtomikKrab posted:

USA does not gently caress around with munitions, as Russia is finding out.

Like I've said before: when you have a military budget equal to the next 20 countries combined, you get some pretty "cool" toys out of it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My gut reaction had been that those missiles were going to be like an intense hailstorm made of ball bearings. Surprisingly lethal if exposed but you'd be safe in a vehicle.

That video is terrifying. It is like the clouds opened up with antimaterial rifles. It looks like it's fine but as they go into more and more detail the whole thing has been Swiss cheesed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

That was a secret? I'm so confused. In the German-thread we even joked about that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

My gut reaction had been that those missiles were going to be like an intense hailstorm made of ball bearings. Surprisingly lethal if exposed but you'd be safe in a vehicle.

That video is terrifying. It is like the clouds opened up with antimaterial rifles. It looks like it's fine but as they go into more and more detail the whole thing has been Swiss cheesed.

It parallels how in WWI, all sides thought machine guns and the new fast-firing field artillery would be great, but totally underestimated their combined value. And then in 1914 multiple armies just died when the new stuff was deployed en masse.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

68 year old dude who's daughter died by being bombed is Kiyv, was sentenced to 2 years prison for insulting Lukashenko

https://twitter.com/belamova/status/1593529836135501824?t=vgmLqQPynRVRzAOp_fgXKw&s=19

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What’s the benefit of tungsten pellets over explosives? Wouldn’t they be just at reflective at ruining things?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

What’s the benefit of tungsten pellets over explosives? Wouldn’t they be just at reflective at ruining things?

The warhead would use both, explosives to propel the pellets.

Tungsten as it's very dense, yet somewhat affordable and safe to manufacture and handle.

E. Beaten

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 18, 2022

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

You concentrate the same force into a smaller area; allowing the pellets to puncture stuff. Those guys with the truck will look for 2 weeks for that 'last hole in the engine where they are losing compression' while full explosive power over the whole area of the engine might not have damaged it 10m away from the explosion.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

They will have pros and cons, but in general the majority of the damage from a missile strike against an unarmoured target is done by shrapnel. This is shrapnel x 10000, designed to airburst over an extremely wide area.

A video of its development and testing was circulating when the US first announced they were being sent to Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5h7BkCj5rI

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

68 year old dude who's daughter died by being bombed is Kiyv, was sentenced to 2 years prison for insulting Lukashenko

https://twitter.com/belamova/status/1593529836135501824?t=vgmLqQPynRVRzAOp_fgXKw&s=19

According to Zerkalo, he was arrested for posts on Odnoklassniki, so I actually checked his OK account, where he hasn't been online since late September. There are plenty of posts about the war in support of Ukraine, but nothing about his daughter. There are, however, some deleted posts that I suspect are the ones that someone complained about, so the police deleted them, but for some reason decided to keep everything else up. Including this slightly :nws: gif that I would probably consider an insult to Lukashenko, but what do I know?
https://i.imgur.com/AvkacJs.mp4

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chalks posted:

A while ago there were a bunch of posts about new HIMARS munitions that contain thousands of steel balls. Here's a Russian mechanic giving his assessment of how effective these things are:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1593573406829678593

Very impressive damage to be sure, that's now a large truck shaped sieve. :stonklol:

Ohh! new thread name. :thumbsup:

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Libluini posted:

That was a secret? I'm so confused. In the German-thread we even joked about that.

Yeah how else are we going to buy Gas from Russia? Duuuh

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Ran through the last 90 posts, didn't see this. Sorry if double posting.

Michael Weiss interviewed a former GRU agent who was detained in Estonia way back when and exchanged to Russia in 2018. Apparently he escaped back to Estonia, the country he was spying in, cause that's better than... staying in Russia?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1593409122099159040?s=20&t=uuvwdVA29NbOXTevZp1_pw

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1593413212082405376?s=20&t=uuvwdVA29NbOXTevZp1_pw

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sri.Theo posted:

To add to what others have said, these were designed partly to replace cluster munitions, which spread out lots of small explosive bomblets to have a similar spread-out destructive effect. Cluster bombs were a humanitarian disaster since a sizeable fraction of them wouldn't explode at first and would kill civilians who found them days or years later. People are still dying from finding them in Vietnam. In Afghanistan there was a fuckup where the bomblets were brightly colored to warn off civilians, but that both made kids curious and they also happened to be the same color as food packages being dropped in the same areas.

I mean, weapons of all sorts are awful. The weapons you can win a large-scale war with in 2022 are going to be especially horrifying. But the giant tungsten shotgun doesn't carpet the area with explosive booby traps that will endanger people for years to come.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Warbadger posted:

You might be surprised about the wide gamut of things tungsten balls flying extremely fast consider "soft". An IFV or APC are decently likely to be holed from above. An actual tank hit by that sort of thing is likely to be mission-killed if not outright destroyed through the loss of optics, engine, guns, fuel tanks, etc.

I wonder if a relatively modern tank (let's be generous and say T-80 and above?) would have enough armor to keep the crew alive even if the tank itself is mission killed or rendered useless. Tungsten is a lot more dense than most metals so armor penetration is going to work differently on tank armor than traditional anti-tank munitions would. On the whole, I'd rather be the one shooting those HIMARS than the ones wondering if my tank armor is going to hold up against 180,000 shotgun pellets from a missile

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sri.Theo posted:

The strength of an explosion decreases at r³ (iirc, i'm too lazy to check the right exponent, and disregarding anything that constricts expansion). That also means that putting twice as much explosive in doesn't yield twice as much destructive power.

What is done instead is to use the explosion to propel shrapnel. The shrapnel flies further and keeps its energy for long distances, even if the amount of shrapnel per m² decreases rapidly the further away from the explosion you get. That's how your standard hand grenade usually operates, that's how artillery shells usually operate. That's why pipe bombs get lined with nails, screws, ball bearings etc.

Those ball bearing missiles are really not that special. Think of an upscaled pipe bomb with a rocket and guidance system.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 18, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Menschsein posted:

Ran through the last 90 posts, didn't see this. Sorry if double posting.

Michael Weiss interviewed a former GRU agent who was detained in Estonia way back when and exchanged to Russia in 2018. Apparently he escaped back to Estonia, the country he was spying in, cause that's better than... staying in Russia?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1593409122099159040?s=20&t=uuvwdVA29NbOXTevZp1_pw

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1593413212082405376?s=20&t=uuvwdVA29NbOXTevZp1_pw

Toots is entirely the last name of someone who would run a spy agency, the pain their name has put them through in life would fuel their career, To have such a man be giddy is no small thing.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

I wonder if a relatively modern tank (let's be generous and say T-80 and above?)

Post WWII, roof armor is usually an inch or greater, which should stop the pellets, especially at any long distance. I believe the tungsten alloy used for the submunitions is brittle to improve soft-target effect, but reduced armor penetration, especially at steep impact angles.

A close or direct hit may incapacitate the crew of a modern tank by shock wave alone.

It is customary to have hatches open while in transit, or even during combat for better visibility. Tanks crews would definitely be affected then.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, it's GPS guided, so you would probably use it on parked stuff, not things in motion?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Preen Dog posted:

Post WWII, roof armor is usually an inch or greater, which should stop the pellets, especially at any long distance. I believe the tungsten alloy used for the submunitions is brittle to improve soft-target effect, but reduced armor penetration, especially at steep impact angles.

A close or direct hit may incapacitate the crew of a modern tank by shock wave alone.

It is customary to have hatches open while in transit, or even during combat for better visibility. Tanks crews would definitely be affected then.

Tungsten in general can be a bit brittle, but it's dense. I'm not a materials engineer but I'm not sure 1 inch of RHS would stop it, even at shallow angles. I'd be interested to know if newer Abrams have more top armor than the M1A1s and M1A2s I used, but such information is hard to find in OSINT for obvious reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Tungsten in general can be a bit brittle, but it's dense. I'm not a materials engineer but I'm not sure 1 inch of RHS would stop it, even at shallow angles. I'd be interested to know if newer Abrams have more top armor than the M1A1s and M1A2s I used, but such information is hard to find in OSINT for obvious reasons.

War Thunder not sufficiently popular with Americans?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Special tents for special military operation
https://mobile.twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1593564758267019266

Imagine sleeping in that cling film contraption when it's freezing.

If your just using it to keep the wind off and have a decent thermal bag and pad that's probably fine so long as it doesn't snow enough to simply start crushing it with drifts or buildup.

They probably aren't fine.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Yah, totally. I'm just thinking the distance at which a relatively oblong, dense bullet is still going fast enough to penetrate an inch is also so close that overpressure could be the bigger threat.

But I think we can be sure if you have the intel to drop a himars accurately on a tank column many of the vehicles will be placed out of service for various reasons, and the sight and sound of the moment will feature in the crews dreams forever after.

E. Depending on source I read there's 160,000-180,000 pellets in a 200lb M30A1 warhead. So each submunition weighs less than a gram.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 18, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Isn't it true that the A10 Gatling gun is scary as hell but wouldn't actually destroy a modern tank? So I wonder how the tungsten ball bearings from a HIMARS round would compare to that.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't it true that the A10 Gatling gun is scary as hell but wouldn't actually destroy a modern tank? So I wonder how the tungsten ball bearings from a HIMARS round would compare to that.

That may be true with modern updated tanks but you dont need to destroy a tank to take it out of the fight. Any mobility or sensor kill means a tank or APC becomes only a target and not a threat.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Its not going to pen the front of a tank, but the A10 would be attacking the tank's top/side/rear, where it can most definitely penetrate.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The A10 has serious trouble even hitting a tank with the gun even if the environment isn't saturated with all types of air defense. It would still do a mission kill if it managed to hit, which it won't, because it would be a cloud of shrapnel impacting terrain on any modern battlefield long before that.

Use a missile instead. Those work.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

AtomikKrab posted:

Toots is entirely the last name of someone who would run a spy agency, the pain their name has put them through in life would fuel their career, To have such a man be giddy is no small thing.

I seriously considered adding “it’s pronounced “totes,”” but “Toots, the jolly spy chief” has a far better ring to it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Antigravitas posted:

Those ball bearing missiles are really not that special. Think of an upscaled pipe bomb with a rocket and guidance system.
It's like a Vietnam-era Lazy Dog munition. Except instead of being dropped from altitude in the general area of the target, it's rocket-powered, precision-guided and explosively-dispersed. Absolutely goddamn terrifying.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I had a look and apparently Russia is using flechettes in artillery shells, and that's what Bucha was shelled with. That's another Vietnam era thing…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Charliegrs posted:

You need to finish your colouring book, good sir.