Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My copy doesn't get here until later today via Amazon but lol, I don't think I've ever seen the first few pages of a Pokémon game's release be universally 'uhh, this is kinda nice but also this is very broken'. Heavy Cyberpunk first few days vibes in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Pokémon don't close their eyes when they're asleep in battle

Even Pokémon stadium on the n64 was able to incorporate that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's a shame that by all accounts this is a really charming and fun pokemon game that's close to what people wanted following Arceus, but it's nearly as broken as Cyberpunk. Nintendo does such a good job with QA on its first party titles, it's baffling they don't keep a tighter leash on Gamefreak.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Should I just wait until a second patch is implemented to play?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Tender Bender posted:

It's a shame that by all accounts this is a really charming and fun pokemon game that's close to what people wanted following Arceus, but it's nearly as broken as Cyberpunk. Nintendo does such a good job with QA on its first party titles, it's baffling they don't keep a tighter leash on Gamefreak.

I think being on a tight leash to Nintendo/The Pokemon Company is part of the issue. Gamefreak is given no time to develop these games so they can release them with a new anime and merchandise.

I'm not sure how they operate behind the scenes, so i don't know if this problem can be fixed with nintendo sending some programmers over to GF to help make the game. Its not like they have a spare Iwata lying around to fix the coding.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Should I just wait until a second patch is implemented to play?

I can only speak for myself but it's distractingly jank

I feel like I'm playing a free game that came on the back of a cereal box. I spent $130 on both versions for me and my partner.

This is the first Pokémon game where I'm actually angry at myself for buying it

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I completed PS3 Skyrim at launch and only encountered one game-breaking bug where I fell through a lake beneath the world. That game has a notorious reputation so I’m genuinely curious if this will be worse.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Thanks for letting me catch a Gible and Bagon near the bug type gym, I guess I'll blow the game away with my eventual Garchomp and Salamence now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

I think being on a tight leash to Nintendo/The Pokemon Company is part of the issue. Gamefreak is given no time to develop these games so they can release them with a new anime and merchandise.

I'm not sure how they operate behind the scenes, so i don't know if this problem can be fixed with nintendo sending some programmers over to GF to help make the game. Its not like they have a spare Iwata lying around to fix the coding.

Yeah. And sadly, having spent a lot of time struggling to convince my company to invest in programs that are already succeeding, it's probably a terrible uphill battle against the finance people. "These games sell like crazy. If we double our payroll, we can probably sell... the same amount."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe this will be the game that lets you catch Missingno again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

Xenoblade is now dead, Monolith Soft develops Pokemon forever now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
oh my god there are so many pokemon in the first couple of areas. I'm dazzled.

diglettless goons, I caught one and I'm not gonna use it so if you're really hurting you can have mine

So far, noticing some occasional slowdown. One in a while a fixed camera angle will clip through the ground for a second. Fading in and out of cutscenes is oddly hesitant. The actual battling and catching is smooth and fast and fun.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I've only played an hour in, so I havent got the worst of it, and I can understand the frustration about technical issues, as the pop-in, shadows, textures make the game very dated but... I'm having a blast. I will say this as someone who played dwarf fortress without a texture patch and can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps most of the time, but i've no regrets so far, but if you do happen to value technical proficiencies and graphical performance and expect something modern looking you're going to hate it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I went with fuecoco and it was entirely because of his animations. He kept running up to me all :D and I could not resist him.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Frame rate docked doesn't seem atrocious, it is just the actual graphical presentation itself that is a crime against humanity. Look at the flowers in a field during a battle. They are collections of semi-transparent pixels and you can see the actual outline of each pixel, like the flower petals are made up of two dozen individual pixels floating next to each other with visible whitespace between them, and grass clearly visible through them.

Also, how the gently caress is there still no voice acting? Isn't Pokemon a TV and movie franchise with a massive stable of actors??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s apparently a vocal ending theme at least

Also for those that played the game early via the leak was your experience this buggy? Because I don’t realły remember hearing about any of this stuff until now

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
many people played on emulator which is apparently more stable than the console release, which, lol.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Larryb posted:

There’s apparently a vocal ending theme at least

Also for those that played the game early via the leak was your experience this buggy? Because I don’t realły remember hearing about any of this stuff until now

During the leaks any mention of it was met with "must be bad emulation and missing the day 1 patch"

In other news, people have begun modding already and the first mod released is to remove the Ed Sheeran credits song lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also many of these issues were commented on but the mantra of "wait for the day 1 patch" was repeated a lot, so understandably people didn't really spend a lot of time dwelling on it since presumably it was going to be addressed

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Countblanc posted:

many people played on emulator which is apparently more stable than the console release, which, lol.

:aslol:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I only just got to the first big city last night and spent a lot of time changing my accessories, so i guess there's still time for the game to turn into this catastrophic trainwreck people are hyping it up to be.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Procrastine posted:

In other news, people have begun modding already and the first mod released is to remove the Ed Sheeran credits song lol

Modding wins again

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Procrastine posted:

During the leaks any mention of it was met with "must be bad emulation and missing the day 1 patch"

Yea I saw videos with shadows just disappearing and reappearing at random and assumed it was just emulator jank because it was so egregious

The ongoing Pokemon/Ed Sheeran collaboration continues to baffle me. He's done multiple Pokemon Go events and now this. Whose marketing people contacted who?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t mind the song personally but yeah, that is sort of weird. Maybe he’s a fan of the series or something

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maybe he actually likes pokemon. I thought the song was cute.

This radar is lying to me about Bounsweet dammit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

HopperUK posted:

They exist friend, I've seen a huge group of them just bouncing around together.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should have put Polkamon in the credits

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So doing a little homework I found the main cause of this poo poo is memory leak and the worst of it can be alleviated by restarting the game. Still they absolutely need to make a patch for this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flopsy posted:

So doing a little homework I found the main cause of this poo poo is memory leak and the worst of it can be alleviated by restarting the game. Still they absolutely need to make a patch for this.

Probably more than just one memory leak.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Made my choice. Going with Scarlet. I don't like the orange so much, but the pokemon are so much better overall.

What happens if you fall into the void like that youtube video? Presumably it puts you back somewhere within bounds?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

Probably more than just one memory leak.

It has to do with towns loading I believe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Been playing docked so far. Slowdown/tech issues were pretty bad at first, but a restart definitely helps a lot. Definitely worth doing after the tutorial stuff. That said, there's still a lot of jank and slowdown, it's been distracting for me but not bad enough to stop me from playing. That said, if you're iffy over the performance, definitely hold off for now.

Countblanc posted:

they should have put Polkamon in the credits

I respect Weird Al for doing the only song on the Pokemon movie soundtrack that has anything to do with Pokemon.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This game is taking its sweet time getting to anything interesting. Please, Nemona and Arven, shut the hell up already.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

:yayclod:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Larryb posted:

I don’t mind the song personally but yeah, that is sort of weird. Maybe he’s a fan of the series or something

HopperUK posted:

Maybe he actually likes pokemon. I thought the song was cute.

Looked into this and apparently he's a fan and has a Squirtle tattoo, lol. That's neat.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:toot:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Looked into this and apparently he's a fan and has a Squirtle tattoo, lol. That's neat.

Ed Sheeran is good now

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I have never played a Pokémon game. Sounds like this new release is a bad place to start.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
My last 5 preorders: This game, elden ring, cyberpunk, no mans sky, diablo 3

20% is pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I've never said this about a Pokémon game before, and I spent money on Brilliant Diamond:

This game is loving bad

The "free" camera constantly adjusts itself behind your character, so if you're using it to look around you'll be fighting against it every few seconds

When you initiate battles your character will randomly warp to different places in the environment. I started a battle with a youngster and it shot me up to the top of a hill for some reason. My partner got warped to an island on the center of a small pond after fighting a flamigo. The only way off at this point is to warp to the nearest Pokémon center

And this is just a personal issue, but you don't get a good look at some of the new Pokémon in battle. They're tiny and often obscured by the environment. I caught a Shroodle and when I was shown its pokedex page it was covered up by the on screen text prompts. There was never a moment where I got to actually look at it

This has been my worst experience playing Pokémon