Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

John Carmack is basically the genius that Musk thinks he is

What is John Carmack even doing nowadays? I miss when he worked at ID Software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I said come in! posted:

He’s a professional zuck bootlicker, has been for years

Edit: stopped licking this summer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
After getting round to reading elons first tweet this morning about talking to any of his staff that know coding, I was sort of like, "oh okay, so he's doing it in a horrible way, but seems he may actually be trying to do like a rudimentary skills audit of the staff he still has or something. that makes sense. sort of an okay'ish way to look to start repairing stuff." Then got to the next where he starts asking for screenshots of written code again, and saying . lol, twitters hosed.

So since then he's also said he wants to shut down one of the main server locations and has been prompting people to excessively use twitter to celebrate the the world cup.

He really did take the phases move fast and break things to heart.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BigBadSteve posted:

Ok, thanks. I'm starting a programming course at college next year, and hope I don't regret it. :lol:

This is the techiest of tech hacks, you should never code like that unless you are on the bleeding edge of 1990 computer tech performance. But it's an example of code that is brilliant, incomprehensible, barely maintainable and fast, and shows that you can't just print out some code snippet and go "ah, this is the taste of Good Code" to wow musk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Current talking point: it’s all bloat and elons a genius for figuring it out

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1593476189380702208?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

lol if twitter was still public the stock would be sub five loving dollars

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

ElGroucho posted:

John Carmack is basically the genius that Musk thinks he is

Dude's wasted potential over at meta :negative:

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1593476189380702208?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

People on the right are just rooting for job losses in Tech.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Lmao it has been less than a month and these clowns are gloating?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

He’s a professional zuck bootlicker, has been for years

Edit: stopped licking this summer

Never meet your heroes.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I said come in! posted:

He is in a kind of advisory role at Meta, but not there full time. He has stated that his goal is to be a sort of "Gentleman Scientist", Victorian era style. What he means by that is he's rich, doesn't need any income to live comfortably day by day, and so wants to spend his time working on interesting problems at his leisure.

He has recently spoken about wanting to work on nuclear technology and artificial intelligence.

Carmack gave a long interview on a podcast recently where he discusses these things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I845O57ZSy4

The interview is interesting, I enjoyed it. However I did cringe a few times when the host went out of his way to kiss Carmack's rear end, insisting that he's a Super Mega Turbo Ultra Genius.

It is my impression from the interview that Carmack is not super in love with the way VR is being managed over at Meta.

Also from the interview, Carmack acknowledges that he is often falsely credited with inventing the fast inverse square root algorithm. He used it, but did not invent it.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 18, 2022

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Every time you see one of these tweets your “This person has no loving clue” filter should kick in.

Most people can not even begin to fathom the scale at which twitter operates. It’s takes lots of really smart people to keep a machine like that running and while tech has absolutely bloated over the last 3 years this kid of poo poo is infuriating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

Dude is getting millions of dollars to gently caress around with VR. Hes probably having a lot of fun

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"It's okay, I'm cool, if I gently caress around with the balance of power nobody will betray me."

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Elon after Twitter's suicide : Told u I was hardcore

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

maybe, but carmack doesn't do anything carmack doesn't want to do. he's probably happy as hell messing around with the tech.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The interview is interesting, I enjoyed it. However I did cringe a few times when the host went out of his way to kiss Carmack's rear end, insisting that he's a Super Mega Turbo Ultra Genius.

Carmack owns and yes I was very disappointed that he chose to work at loving Facebook. But it’s hard to deny he’s built different, a real big brain motherfucker.

Also he was on Joe Rogan

Living in Texas gets to you I suppose :cowboy:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah as soon as tiny tech startups Google, Apple, and Facebook see the absolutely massive amounts of money Twitter is making now they'll bring Elon himself on board to shake things up. Bet they're gonna be so happy to finally make a little money too

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Hey are you guys hardcore coders? Could you dig in and find where they do the shadowbanning?

I have an image of an increasingly irritated Elongated demanding to be shown stuff that doesn’t exist. “Show me the shadow ban function”, “show me the right wing talking point suppression algo”. Getting increasingly frustrated at people saying it doesn’t exist, it’s just cooked brained conspiracy theories and then firing those people.

And why do I always see people dunking on me right under my tweets? Turn that function off too!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Also I remember that yes, Carmack knew he was smart, but every time he could, he bowed to Michael Abrash of the black book of graphics. So how smart was THAT dude

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1593731870415818753

I guess that's it folks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you ever needed further proof that this man is a loving moron, well here you go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mildly surprised the servers didn't burst into flames the moment he tweeted that.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
There are investors who literally make money just listening to Jim Cramer and then doing the opposite

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Oh, well, if Jim Cramer is bullish on Elon...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just had both of my kidneys, my liver, and large bowel removed and I feel great. Look at all you fools still carrying around all those extra organs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There are investors who literally make money just listening to Jim Cramer and then doing the opposite

Probably including Jim himself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Carmack owns and yes I was very disappointed that he chose to work at loving Facebook. But it’s hard to deny he’s built different, a real big brain motherfucker.

Also he was on Joe Rogan

Living in Texas gets to you I suppose :cowboy:

Carmack's also like a big time sociopath isn't he? Like he's not going out and actively doing anything wrong or anything right now but only cause he doesn't want to.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Dabir posted:

Carmack's also like a big time sociopath isn't he? Like he's not going out and actively doing anything wrong or anything right now but only cause he doesn't want to.

"Hmm the office door is locked, should I call a locksmith or the building manager?

Nah I'll knock it down with an axe."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That's the :fork: right there, lol.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

He’s a programmer, so yes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The thing with those insanely smart types is that often you have to trick them into doing stuff that is beneficial by making them think it is interesting.. As long as you can keep them on track without doing something evil like unleashing a bioplague or creating facebook you're golden.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

:lol:

Self-storage investor

God, Elon stans are something else.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

I wouldn't say sociopath, he has something going on obviously, but like in the interview he openly talks about how garbage he was in post doom ID days, and regrets about that sort of stuff. Seems he just get's overly focused and practical sometimes. Never heard anyone talk about him as being that manipulative or what ever.

"Hmm the office door is locked, should I call a locksmith or the building manager?

Nah I'll knock it down with an axe."

Look what for do axes exist if not for the use in knock down of doors.
He was merely giving that axes purpose.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 19, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Castor Poe posted:

Self-storage investor

God, Elon stans are something else.

Self-storage investor is like those guys who buy abandoned lockers and hope they find something valuable right

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/status/1593520669358452737?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

Hero of the people Elon forcing those soft San Fran soy boys to work like my weird macho fantasies

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Dabir posted:

He's very libertarian and, in the interview I posted earlier, makes it clear that he sees social and ethical issues as secondary to pure technology.

Specifically, in the interview he is asked about ethical implications of general artificial intelligence (an AI that can learn general skills and concepts, like a human - contrast with highly specialized AIs which are only capable of functioning in a narrow field like choosing which pictures contain an image of a cat).

He says he thinks it's a waste of time to consider ethical and moral implications of such technology until it has advanced to at least the intelligence of a learning disabled toddler (his words, not mine). As a computer toucher myself, I disagree with this. Waiting until potentially abusable / harmful technology is basically up and running before even considering how to mitigate harms has a poor track record.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/status/1593520669358452737?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

Hero of the people Elon forcing those soft San Fran soy boys to work like my weird macho fantasies

I think the fact that there has been a movement with workers to improve their conditions has just pissed off chuds to such a degree that they will only be happy if everyone worked in literal sweatshop conditions

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Carmack spent a lot of time on his version of SpaceX but it didn’t work out for him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Aerospace

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

we work hord, we play hord :heysexy: