Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Sydin posted:

Honestly I'm at the point where the bulk of my annoyance the Astros cheated isn't about the integrity of the game or their fraudulent 2017 title, but rather that every time it comes up it makes this thread largely unreadable for a full day. Which is unfortunate because SAS is like the one place I've found on the internet where you can discuss sports in a way that doesn't immediately devolve in to rampant racism, sexism, and death threats.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They have to trade IKF. He doesn't make sense as a backup AT ALL since his defense is bad and he's not good baserunner to pinch run with. I could see him hanging around on the roster and Boone playing him all the time next year though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The astros are cheaters, gently caress the yankees, Boston is racist, even year bullshit, best fans in baseball etc are all fundamental truths so I'm not sure why they upset anyone

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even year bullshit is unfortunately over, I guess the Cubs really did kill it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They have to trade IKF. He doesn't make sense as a backup AT ALL since his defense is bad and he's not good baserunner to pinch run with. I could see him hanging around on the roster and Boone playing him all the time next year though.
I imagine he's insurance at this point.

He's easy to trade like most defence first shortstops to a tanking team that wants to fake trying.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

Too bad we didn't get the inexplicable odd year bullshit that appeared ready to happen last year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Too bad we didn't get the inexplicable odd year bullshit that appeared ready to happen last year

It's just waiting until Buster Posey takes over as Giants manager.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

To this day I'm still convinced EYBS would still be a thing - or at least would have continued on through 2016 - if Bochey had just taken a deep breath and trusted Derek Law to get three outs before giving up three runs. He blew through like five relievers that inning and nobody could find a rhythm.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 3 batter minimum is probably saving a lot of managers from making a bunch of big brain moves in the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't save Thomson from himself. Did Wheeler even give up a single hard hit ball before being pulled?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

Honestly I'm at the point where the bulk of my annoyance the Astros cheated isn't about the integrity of the game or their fraudulent 2017 title, but rather that every time it comes up it makes this thread largely unreadable for a full day. Which is unfortunate because SAS is like the one place I've found on the internet where you can discuss sports in a way that doesn't immediately devolve in to rampant racism, sexism, and death threats.

Yeah this. I beg of you, make a new thread for the Astros cheating circlejerkery and shut up about it here.

It's always the same handful of posters too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

STAC Goat posted:

Naturally Peter Gammons is now in on the rewriting of history in Houston. Five years later “yeah, they are very remorseful. And innocent.”

I mean, baseball wants any bad press to all go away - it's bad for business. Baseball writers protect their meal ticket. It's not complicated.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

Didn't save Thomson from himself. Did Wheeler even give up a single hard hit ball before being pulled?

I think you can argue the Wheeler pull, but you can't justify putting in Alvarado at all. It was clear for the longest time he was going to get torched in a high pressure situation, especially with inherited runners. The correct move was Brogdon, regardless of matchup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1593748476986380290

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would advise pitchers that sinkers down and in are no longer Yordan killers You know I bet a good enough sinker could get him people should keep trying those

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

I think you can argue the Wheeler pull, but you can't justify putting in Alvarado at all. It was clear for the longest time he was going to get torched in a high pressure situation, especially with inherited runners. The correct move was Brogdon, regardless of matchup.

To be fair to Alvarado, there aren't a lot of guys who are going to catch up to 99 right below the knees

e: also Brogdon righty beep boop matchups beep

Teams keep forgetting Yordan hits against both equally well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 19, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
In not-Astros thoughts I’m really curious to see what kind of market there is for Mitch Haniger.

If he ended up at like 3/$40 with a club option for another year after that I’d feel good, that’s a good personal deal for him and the kind of deal the Mariners can walk away from and it be a good decision.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm anxiously awaiting to see which player the A's trade away first, we have some great options this off season :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honestly surprised Laureano is still an A

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It'll be Sean Murphy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1593759727166672897

Heyman trying to run up the price

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1593759727166672897

I still have a hard time buying this for the same reasons I always have. Judge just does not fit the profile of guys Friedman is willing to break the bank for. At best the Dodgers will probably offer him some wild-high AAV on a shorter term deal, but there's no way they'll go 8+ years or whatever it is he's looking for.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah this. I beg of you, make a new thread for the Astros cheating circlejerkery and shut up about it here.

It's always the same handful of posters too.

I've purposely stayed out of it as I'm sure people are sick of me talking about it. Hopefully the other guilty parties are self aware going forward.

Edit: Real talk, fellow Astros posters? We got our non trash can banging title, shut up about it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

I know you're doing your normal shtick and trying to say the Cubs acquiring Chapman means nobody can criticize the Astros for picking up Osuna. Whatever you need to do to justify it to yourself forums posters Sab.

I’m going to be eternally donating to RAINN thanks to that Chapman trade.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
people really gotta chill about the Astros

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
nothing against gio urshela but the angels needing infield depth (particularly at SS) and getting gio urshela is some quality Angels poo poo.

at least it wasnt like rougned odor? i guess??

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/EvanPetzold/status/1593770362659119105

Between this and Gleyber supposedly being on the block the Cubs could put together one hell of a prospect throw back team (that would be very bad, lol)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Popete posted:

It'll be Sean Murphy.

This is an obvious candidate but I'm betting Tony Kemp because we the fans love Tony Kemp and it will cause us maximum pain

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

nothing against gio urshela but the angels needing infield depth (particularly at SS) and getting gio urshela is some quality Angels poo poo.

at least it wasnt like rougned odor? i guess??

Especially since I saw a ton of people speculating Correa to the Angels

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

This is an obvious candidate but I'm betting Tony Kemp because we the fans love Tony Kemp and it will cause us maximum pain

My first thought was Kemp for pretty much that reason. Anyone remotely fun or promising has to go.

A's are one of my favourite AL teams, their games look like a lot of fun when they draw a crowd. John Fisher should be forced to sell, it's awful.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kemp either goes first or right before opening day because Fisher wants the fans to hate him as much as possible. Losing Kemp would be proverbially soul crushing us fans, as well as literally soul crushing.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I predict baseball fans arguing about the Astros peters out when their window closes. A season or two at the bottom of the division will reset everything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deals deals deals deals deals

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1593761169969451009

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hand Knit posted:

people really gotta chill about the Astros

The problem is no one ever says “people have to chill about the Yankees”. Or as a Phillies fan put it during the playoffs some drunk assholes threw batteries in Philly generations ago and they’re still getting shut about it. But when it comes to the Astros that a few years of them being hated because of a systematic series of choices and actions they made? We need to forgive and forget while I’ve been eating poo poo from everyone here for like a decade.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 19, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1593774982882025473

Davis Ross absolutely losing his mind trying to figure who he's going to give a ton of inexplicable starts to now that Ortega is gone.

Sucks about Marquez, dude looked like he could have been the real thing a few years ago but the injuries just keep rolling and apparently he's hosed up his shoulder again. Maybe he comes back on a minor league deal but he's most likely gone.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

STAC Goat posted:

The problem is no one ever says “people have to chill about the Yankees”. Or as a Phillies fan put it during the playoffs some drunk assholes threw batteries in Philly generations ago and they’re still getting shut about it. But when it comes to the Astros that a few years of them being hated because of a systematic series of choices and actions they made? We need to forgive and forget while I’ve been eating poo poo from everyone here for like a decade.

I don't even really understand it anymore. People know the 90s were 20 years ago right? Yeah they won a random one in 09 but it's not like they're the "evil empire" people railed against. That you could explain away as jealousy. Now... I don't even get it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

To be fair to Alvarado, there aren't a lot of guys who are going to catch up to 99 right below the knees

e: also Brogdon righty beep boop matchups beep

Teams keep forgetting Yordan hits against both equally well

Brogdon was probably their most reliable reliever throughout the playoffs, whereas Alvarado had definitely been overexposed.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Red posted:

Brogdon was probably their most reliable reliever throughout the playoffs, whereas Alvarado had definitely been overexposed.

I would have gone w/ Ranger. He was rested and a better lefty option imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChesterJT posted:

I don't even really understand it anymore. People know the 90s were 20 years ago right? Yeah they won a random one in 09 but it's not like they're the "evil empire" people railed against. That you could explain away as jealousy. Now... I don't even get it.

You can hate the team if you want. That’s fine. Sports have rivalries and dumb blind hatred of teams. And people can go “gently caress the Yankees” all day. I just don’t get why that’s ok but the Astro stuff isn’t. Why it’s ok for pointers to imply I’m a racist and a nazi. For it to just be nonstop from all corners. But then the Astros stuff has run it’s course and gone too far or something?

See it’s because the Yankees are SUPPOSED to be hated. They’re the bad guys and I’m the bad guy because I grew up in the shadow of their stadium. But the Astros weren’t supposed to be the bad guys. No one hated them five years ago. So even though they actually did stuff to cause this reaction it’s confusing and unfair and wrong. Because Astros fans matter. Jose Altuve matters. Yankees don’t. I don’t. I’m less than human to most here. At least that’s how this place makes me feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1593599205850882051

I think if I could magically undo one baseball injury it would be Koufax's elbow. He pitched for such a short time and in unbelievable discomfort if not outright agony in his last few years. Can you imagine what kind of stats he would've put up over a 20 year healthy career. Every pitching record would be untouchable. JR Richard is another one, there's nothing worse than generational talent stolen by injury.

I know UCL tears are much more common these days because dudes throw so hard because they don't expect to go nine (or two), so how common were those injuries when guys were expected to go nine? I was reading about it the other day, and one of the hypotheses about this is that because pitchers of old had insane workloads, their bodies just became accustomed to it and they don't have as many injuries. Koufax didn't even think he tore his UCL, he thought he hosed it up diving into a bag.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 19, 2022