Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the update that gets rid of Echo-cancel-sink on the beta or preview channel? I’m on beta and the error reared it’s ugly head. (If it’s beta then how can I report it?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

How easy is it to transfer Heroic Launcher game installations from one storage to another? Can I just drag & drop the game directories and then point the launcher at the new location and have everything work? I installed some games from the launcher on internal storage and now have decided I'd prefer them on the SD card instead.

There's built in functionality to do this somewhere. In tools maybe?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ok cool I'll check that out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are there recommended places to get vinyl or leather console skins from, or are they pretty much all good?

If you have one, where from, and how do you like it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Are there recommended places to get vinyl or leather console skins from, or are they pretty much all good?

If you have one, where from, and how do you like it?

Dbrand seems to be the go to but I wouldn’t recommend the leather one. I’ve seen a few videos complaining about the fit and finish of them because of the decks curves especially around the handles.

The others seem just fine though

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

What is the point of console skins?

The two handheld communities I follow, Steam Deck and MiyooMini, are both equally into skins and I've never been sure if it's just a way to be different or if they have a utility.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Dbrand seems to be the go to but I wouldn’t recommend the leather one. I’ve seen a few videos complaining about the fit and finish of them because of the decks curves especially around the handles.

I like my leather Dbrand one, fwiw. there were a few small creases on the curves on the grips, but I think if I’d been patient enough with heat and application I could have avoided them. They’re less noticeable after more use, too. I liked it enough that I got a leather skin for the back of my phone too!

(I put the “innards” one on the back of the Deck, and confused myself briefly when I actually removed the back.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I know it doesn't cover the vents or anything but, isn't leather a pretty good insulator

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not according to my daughter who is trying to use her Docs as winter boots!

It’s pretty thin, and I doubt it detectably changes the thermals of the device, tbqh. I didn’t measure though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I prefer a good sticker or two personally.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Guys/girls/nonbinary/genderfulids...
I bought a steam deck to finish games.. You know.. start them. have more time to complete them while on the couch.. and finish the large collection of games I own currently.

WHY DO I KEEP BUYING MORE THAN IM FINISHING?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CRAYON posted:

What is the point of console skins?

The two handheld communities I follow, Steam Deck and MiyooMini, are both equally into skins and I've never been sure if it's just a way to be different or if they have a utility.

makes them look unique and more interesting than just straight black :shrug:

Edit: Steam Autumn Sale is next week starting the 22nd at 10amPST/1pmEST so don't buy anything that's not currently on sale until then!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I bought a steam deck to finish games.. You know.. start them. have more time to complete them while on the couch.. and finish the large collection of games I own currently.

I mean, I do it because I have ADHD, so I'm considering the fact that I'm playing more games than before to be the real win.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tater_salad posted:

I buy games, I establish they can play well on the Deck, and then I move on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cowman posted:

makes them look unique and more interesting than just straight black :shrug:
This is basically it for some people, like that Gundam skin Taki Udon has in his videos kinda rips. But also you have to remember if you want to change them the skin is probably done so you'll need another one if you want to change back. I've never really gone into the skin thing, and especially dislike the whole freedom fighter attitude Dbrand has after Sony stopped them selling PS5 stickers.

jokes posted:

I buy games, I establish they can play well on the Deck, and then I move on.
We don't buy PCs to play games, we buy them to benchmark things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skins are a neat idea but I’m not nearly as OCD about putting them on as I should be so they always come out just slightly hosed up and it bothers me that I didn’t have the patients to get it right the first time.

Also I do have to say that the 10 inch screen on the GPD win max 2 is really drat good. You can definitely notice the quality difference vs the deck.

It’s also over 2x the price over the base model but it comes with 1TB of storage out of the box and an extra m2 slot along with a micro SD slot so you can really load this thing up if you wanted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a laptop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

I always disable gyro for aiming, just never necessary

Weird I get no prompt, it just goes to default storage for my steam library

Wednesday's stable-channel update includes

quote:

When installing a game always show the install location picker if there is more than one library folder, and automatically focus the default library folder when the dialog shows up

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I got a vinyl skin from ZoomHitSkins on etsy that is pretty ok. I did absolutely no research I just went with a design I thought was neat, and it turned out mostly ok. Echoing others that I probably wasn't meticulous enough during the initial application (heat gun a must) to avoid little creases or folds where the vinyl wraps around the edges of the deck, so maybe they can be avoided with a more steady hand. There is also at least one part that is lifting up like a sticker edge which lost its glue, but that is also probably from me trying in vain to continually re-apply the vinyl days or weeks later because crease felt weird on my palm while holding the deck.

Overall it looks neat, which I guess was the goal so success there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I picked up my switch for the first time in months to play some pokemen and holy gently caress it feels horrific and small and fragile compared to my deck :smith:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good news, the game sucks too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I picked up my switch for the first time in months to play some pokemen and holy gently caress it feels horrific and small and fragile compared to my deck :smith:

There’s definitely a dick joke someplace here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do a heist on your Switch's key files and make the Deck run Switch games, bing bong so simple

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Switch emulation is still in a p rough place though and Pokemon might not run properly so fair warning

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

runs better emulated than on a switch

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Half the fun is online poo poo so nah that would totally defeat the purpose of playing it

I’ll have to learn to live with the switch being a bad console

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

loquacius posted:

Do a heist on your Switch's key files and make the Deck run Switch games, bing bong so simple

This is the Way and the Truth if you like side-by-side comparisons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Until I can get in nintendo online and play switch games with my friends there’s no point in emulation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Until I can get in nintendo online and play switch games with my friends there’s no point in emulation.

:yeah:

Except single player stuff, that’s fine since obv no online.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't suppose there's any kind of cross save where I can play vampire survivors on both my Xbox and deck without completely starting over?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having a problem with DuckStation, it's not wanting to read the files on my SD card in Steam mode, but will in Desktop mode. But when I load Duckstation in Desktop mode and its scanning for games and the BIOs, it hardlocks my Steam Deck entirely. Unsure what to do or how to trouble shoot this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

I don't suppose there's any kind of cross save where I can play vampire survivors on both my Xbox and deck without completely starting over?

xcloud / stream VS.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I have Gamepass Ultimate so I have EA Play. I was able to get Origin installed in SteamOS and install Mass Effect Legendary onto my Deck through Origin. Is there any reason to purchase the Steam version of Mass Effect Legendary instead?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gariig posted:

I have Gamepass Ultimate so I have EA Play. I was able to get Origin installed in SteamOS and install Mass Effect Legendary onto my Deck through Origin. Is there any reason to purchase the Steam version of Mass Effect Legendary instead?

Steam games get the added (marginal) benefit of preset cache libraries which can lead to improved performance here and there. That’s about all I can think of for most games it won’t make an actual difference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Steam games get the added (marginal) benefit of preset cache libraries which can lead to improved performance here and there. That’s about all I can think of for most games it won’t make an actual difference.

I still don’t think I’ve seen anyone do any actual benchmarks to see if there is a difference.

That said I bought CP2077 on steam so I don’t have to deal with the heroic launcher and stuff.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah... I've sadly been re-buying games when they go on sale on Steam for two reasons. Ease of use with the Deck, and then also a game preservation aspect? I trust Valve to keep my games available to me way longer than Nintendo I guess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah... I've sadly been re-buying games when they go on sale on Steam for two reasons. Ease of use with the Deck, and then also a game preservation aspect? I trust Valve to keep my games available to me way longer than Nintendo I guess.
Considering Steam has been a singular persistent storefront since 2003 and Nintendo has taken down multiple storefronts that started after Steam, and is slated to remove more soon, it seems that (lack of) trust is well-founded.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Nintendo has only shutdown one generation of storefronts (if you consider the DSi Shop and Wii Shop to be separate) and are planning to shutdown their second. I mean, point taken, but it isn't yet like the fourth time they've done it.

That said, past behavior and Miyamoto's recent statements confirm that Nintendo doesn't believe that access to their past titles is a priority. They'll do it when there's a clear profit opportunity, but they don't believe that it's something they fundamentally need to provide. Hence why GameCube titles are locked to that platform and physical media, despite it being 20 years and hobbyist emulators are readily available.

Nintendo's IP is often compared to Disney's, but the latter has a subscription based streaming service with basically all their past content (and more!) available for a reasonable annual fee, while Nintendo also has a subscription service for nearly the same fee with, proportionately, substantially less content, and they don't see that as a problem.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
So I setup PlayStation plus streaming on this thing and got it working but I can't get rid of the top little bar that displays that says PlayStation plus and has the minimize buttons. It displays when playing games, too. I found a reddit thread on the subject and tried some suggested solutions but none of them worked. Does anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if ps+ had a command line prompt I could put in to always run in controller mode and to take away that bar. I've gotten it to disappear in desktop mode but not otherwise, and in desktop mode when I do it, it takes away my ability to close out of the app altogether (there may be a shortcut I'm missing to do so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

caldrax posted:

So I setup PlayStation plus streaming on this thing and got it working but I can't get rid of the top little bar that displays that says PlayStation plus and has the minimize buttons. It displays when playing games, too. I found a reddit thread on the subject and tried some suggested solutions but none of them worked. Does anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if ps+ had a command line prompt I could put in to always run in controller mode and to take away that bar. I've gotten it to disappear in desktop mode but not otherwise, and in desktop mode when I do it, it takes away my ability to close out of the app altogether (there may be a shortcut I'm missing to do so).

Are you using chiaki4deck? I cannot for the life of me get it to connect. I can get my base64 id or whatever, my PS5 shows as discoverable, but it won't actually connect at all.