Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If they were coded to use AoE, their abilities would also be adjusted to make them do less damage so it would balance out, since "slower than real players" is a design goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Some do have AoE baked into their rotations, but when testing was done back in ShB, it all seemed to split damage evenly among targets so there was no net potency gain.

Y'shtola does it the most often, a lot of her spells are AoE but since the damage will get split among all targets hit so it only makes things goes faster in the sense that you get to make full use of your AoE abilities for longer.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Elemental level 32, almost done with Eureka Pagos. If this is the worst one, I'm feeling better about my chances on the next two zones. Anemos took a while as I got used to how Eureka worked, Pagos went faster due to how constant the fate farming felt comparatively.

Still need the crystals and louhi ice for relic, but I'm pretty pleased with what I've got already.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

not gonna go back and check if someone mentioned it already, but your light gains are affected by exp bonuses, so running the consumable that gives you a eureka exp bonus can make it go a little faster.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah if they used aoes then there's be very little reason to NOT use them, and it could have a negative impact on queue population

Futurama don't date robots but it's "hey fry do you want to queue Holminster Switch" and "no thanks I'm happy grouping with my Uriangerbot"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just glad it's an option if you have around half an hour to kill and need to run a dungeon.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Does the Road to 80 buff expire for any reason other than hitting 80 on a job? I'm probably going to be slowing down on FFXIV for a bit when Dragonflight launches and just curious if that will stay on my character.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I believe it expires if the server you're on stops being favored? That's the only thing I can think of, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i thought it expired three months after account creation of character creation of something

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hexwren posted:

i thought it expired three months after account creation of character creation of something

it's 90 days after character creation, once the server loses the status. So you keep it past 90 days if the server is still "new".

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Just want to show off my conversion to Lalafel:

Boy, have I been missing out this entire time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Man Musk posted:

Just want to show off my conversion to Lalafel:
Your name is significantly funnier on a Lala than on any other possible species. Good change. Nice glam, too!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Why are command squadrons so much more braindead than duty support oh my cod

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Also the entire elezen nation can loving suck it, why is every elf in this game such a chode!!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they're French Catholics

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

goblin week posted:

Because Trusts have custom programming for each dungeon and squadrons are older and uh. Do not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Squadrons were ten runs of Thousand Maws and then 1 run of the first few other dungeons to get the promotion requirements. You could do less but I didn't know about the promotion requirement. Tank spec, single pulls, absolutely mindless 2nd monitor video stuff. Luckily after that never again and sweet emotes and promotes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Squadrons are cool and strong and my beefy, deadly friends.

Selane
May 19, 2006

goblin week posted:

Because once you have them built up they do like twice the dps.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They don’t have brains at all. You have to treat them like Pikmin and use engage/disengage to position them where you need to. In exchange their dps is really good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They don't really have to be kept out of mechanics because they survive them just fine with their inflated hitpoints and defense.

There are about a handful of encounters where you have to position them for mechanics by disengaging, moving to where you want them, wait till the enemy reaches you, engage again. In leveling dungeons that's extremely rare, usually pointing them at important targets (usually something that gives a boss incincibility) with the engage command is fine. The main exception I can think of right now is the first boss in Dzemael Darkhold (since you need to get the boss into the crystal auras to damage it). Coincounter in Aurum Vale sometimes kills non-tank squadron members with 100-ton swing if you let him, but it's hard to get the healer or DPS squaddies out in time.

At least in the dungeons that got redesigned for duty support, they can now be valid targets for mechanics. In the old Aiatar fight in Brayflox 100% control of the poison puddles were cast on the player, which was good if you were ranged (you had complete control over where to drop them and ignore the mechanic), bad if you were a tank/melee because the boss healed while standing inside the poison - but the mechanics have changed along with the dungeon so it doesn't matter, just punch the boss and win. Tioman in Sohm Al used to spam all meteor attacks on the player, which was annoying on a healer or caster (blink and you take 2-3 of them to the face and wipe). And the last boss in the Vault didn't use the chain mechanic at all because there was only the single target, now he will do them on squadron members (who will ignore them till they explode) or a squadron member and the player (the squadron member doesn't react so you have to move more than two players would).

I really like squadrons because they're fast and customizable, gently caress this ~abloobloo people would stop running dungeons with players if NPCs were just as fast~ nonsense and let me race through Brayflox in 10 minutes like my lala sqad. Squadrons also use some of the funny old spells, like shadow flare, although marauders' overpower uses the same new circular version the players got, which broke their AI (the AI will use it from a distance while running at a pack, missing all but 0-1 targets because it's not a cone with range anymore). What's not quite as cool is they have a very limited toolkit because they're based on the original classes, not jobs (and no expansion jobs at all) and the healer AI doesn't deal well with huge pulls, especially with player tanks. But if you level them up and get a few ranks in balanced or offensive, they're very powerful and can really help going through levels 20-50 on alt jobs quickly. 50-60 is possible too, but it's less ideal because there are only two dungeons (53 and 57).

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 20, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tbh I’m specifically complaining about Halatali where the lightning guivre would just. Set everyone on fire and then there come the dungeon-HP’d lightning sprites all trying to kill my fragile ninja

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For Halatali you really want to bind at least the engage button because you need it in every encounter. Spam it to keep the squadron hitting the first boss. Spam it to make them melt lightning sprites (they should be fine standing in the electrified water). Spam it to kill the fire sprites, then the last boss again. The squadron healer should be able to keep up, if not spam engage on the little fire motes too.

Halatali sucks.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I recently picked up FFXIV for my PS4 since my computer decided to crap out on me. I've plugged my mouse and keyboard into it since I'm not quite ready to try the controller setup (even though I've heard it's praises, it just felt really weird and awkward compared to what I know). I do have a question, though: does the PS4 normally have issues with not binding/recognizing the thumb mouse buttons, or is it a problem with my mouse specifically? Also, is there any particular reason it won't let me bind the ~ key on my keyboard? It just gives me an error message telling me I can't do that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

orcane posted:

For Halatali you really want to bind at least the engage button because you need it in every encounter. Spam it to keep the squadron hitting the first boss. Spam it to make them melt lightning sprites (they should be fine standing in the electrified water). Spam it to kill the fire sprites, then the last boss again. The squadron healer should be able to keep up, if not spam engage on the little fire motes too.

Halatali sucks.

You don't need to do any of this unless you're a fragile class on boss 2. The squad focus on the first boss automatically, and the sprites die quickly enough on the third that you can handle it alone (melee dps squad members can die but the game's not balanced around lancers being alive until the end of fights anyway).

They only really need engage/target babysitting for Darkhold's crystals and the bubble move the third Brayflox boss can do (although again it's super weak so probably not necessary).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

You don't need to do any of this unless you're a fragile class on boss 2. The squad focus on the first boss automatically, and the sprites die quickly enough on the third that you can handle it alone (melee dps squad members can die but the game's not balanced around lancers being alive until the end of fights anyway).

They only really need engage/target babysitting for Darkhold's crystals and the bubble move the third Brayflox boss can do (although again it's super weak so probably not necessary).
E: My experience was squadron guys running off to target little fire motes and being extremely bad at switching to the lightning sprites on boss two, and basically never switching to the big fire sprites that keep the boss invincible (instead they'll run off to kill the little motes again) but I did 99% of my squadron running before they touched the dungeons/AI for duty support :shrug:.

Squaddies having ADHD whenever adds spawned was definitely a thing for ages but it looks like their targeting behaviour is better now, and they fairly reliably target whatever the player targets without the need to engage (eg. in Halatali they didn't switch away from the first boss, but wouldn't switch targets to lightning sprites on the 2nd boss until I did, then on the last boss they also kept fighting the invulnerable main boss until I attacked the big fire sprites, and would go back to randomly chase down a few small adds until I attacked the boss again).

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 21, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Some of the Squadron dungeons (particularly the Hard mode versions with actual mechanics) are basically unplayable if you're in certain roles, because you have to handle all the mechanics yourself, potentially while also juggling their engage/disengage mechanics for targeting certain things. It's probably fine if you're in a DPS role, but sometimes doing them on tank or healer is awful.

It's left a bad taste in my mouth, so at this point I don't even care if they can do things a bit faster if you grind them up to have their max offense passives.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I recently picked up FFXIV for my PS4 since my computer decided to crap out on me. I've plugged my mouse and keyboard into it since I'm not quite ready to try the controller setup (even though I've heard it's praises, it just felt really weird and awkward compared to what I know). I do have a question, though: does the PS4 normally have issues with not binding/recognizing the thumb mouse buttons, or is it a problem with my mouse specifically? Also, is there any particular reason it won't let me bind the ~ key on my keyboard? It just gives me an error message telling me I can't do that.

R3 and L3 can only be bound to some generic actions OR a macro, so in a roundabout way you can get it to do anything by writing a macro and then binding the button to it. Standard Macro issues apply. I use Sprint and Mountroulette myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

derra posted:

R3 and L3 can only be bound to some generic actions OR a macro, so in a roundabout way you can get it to do anything by writing a macro and then binding the button to it. Standard Macro issues apply. I use Sprint and Mountroulette myself.
For the record, 'standard macro issues' mainly being "you have to learn the macro commands", "maximum of 15 lines per macro" (mostly important for crafters), and, most importantly "using macros get fucky with GCD-related stuff sometimes, and they're never going to fix it because it helps prevent botting".

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

derra posted:

I'm actively not using a controller, so unless R3 and L3 are equivocated with M4 and M5 on a mouse I don't really see the connection here. Which is entirely possible, I've never messed with a mouse and keyboard on PS4 before! If so, I apologize for being obtuse. I like being able to hit M4 and M5 with my thumb for mobility commands or an ability I'd want to he able to hit suddenly, like Hallowed Ground on PLD.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, the Alexander raids are great, and in a way that feels different from other raids. The camera going at dramatic angles to follow you through hallways, boss fights getting interrupted by you getting sucked through pipes... and, of course, the music.

Guess I should have done these earlier. :v:

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Upon getting off my lazy rump and googling, I see that my mouse woes are driver related, more or less, and I'd need a marginally fancier gaming mouse with built in drivers to bind the extra mouse buttons! I do need a new mouse anyway, I guess.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Some of the Squadron dungeons (particularly the Hard mode versions with actual mechanics) are basically unplayable if you're in certain roles, because you have to handle all the mechanics yourself, potentially while also juggling their engage/disengage mechanics for targeting certain things. It's probably fine if you're in a DPS role, but sometimes doing them on tank or healer is awful.

It's left a bad taste in my mouth, so at this point I don't even care if they can do things a bit faster if you grind them up to have their max offense passives.

Yeah, the final battle in Brayflox (Hard) when you have three teammates who won't try to push the bombs away is ... challenging.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's why you go as a healer so you can AOE the bombs out of range.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

That's why you go as a healer so you can AOE the bombs out of range.

You should go healer anyway because Scholar is flagrantly OP in ARR: your fairy does all the healing for you and Art of War has an astonishing 150 potency, which is better than actual DPS jobs and I think the highest flat-out in LV50 content.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sassassin posted:

Squadrons are cool and strong and my beefy, deadly friends.

Giving me us the ability to glamour them was a mistake.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Selachian posted:

Yeah, the final battle in Brayflox (Hard) when you have three teammates who won't try to push the bombs away is ... challenging.

Yeah, I went into that as a ninja... took me like 10 tries.

Or Copperbell (Hard) where you have to pick up the rock and drop it so you don't get killed by a sandworm- when you're the tank and everything keeps hitting you and interrupting your pickup action.

Or the Sohm Al dungeon or whichever it is where you need to target and kill the wings- trying to do that while you're a WHM and the only one getting targeted by constant chasing damage puddles, so you can't cast or stand still to try and retarget your idiot teammates.

I think there were other problematic ones, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I made the mistake of doing Pharos Sirius as a tank once, which meant that the rest of the squadron couldn't handle the Zu's mechanics and died to angry, angry baby birds.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

I made the mistake of doing Pharos Sirius as a tank once, which meant that the rest of the squadron couldn't handle the Zu's mechanics and died to angry, angry baby birds.

I still don't really understand how that fight works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

First off you don't break the eggs. Then you blast the hatchlings one at a time slowly so the big Zu doesn't get a big buff. At least I think that's how you do it.