Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

drat dude. I get what you're saying and I don't really disagree with any of it, but seriously maybe take an internet break. It sounds like your mental health is suffering and it's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChesterJT posted:

drat dude. I get what you're saying and I don't really disagree with any of it, but seriously maybe take an internet break. It sounds like your mental health is suffering and it's not worth it.

You’re right. I should. I guess I just have this vain hope that maybe this is a place that would say “we don’t want people to feel that way and chase them away?” But I’m stupid as I’ve been told many many times here.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

You can hate the team if you want. That’s fine. Sports have rivalries and dumb blind hatred of teams. And people can go “gently caress the Yankees” all day. I just don’t get why that’s ok but the Astro stuff isn’t. Why it’s ok for pointers to imply I’m a racist and a nazi. For it to just be nonstop from all corners. But then the Astros stuff has run it’s course and gone too far or something?

See it’s because the Yankees are SUPPOSED to be hated. They’re the bad guys and I’m the bad guy because I grew up in the shadow of their stadium. But the Astros weren’t supposed to be the bad guys. No one hated them five years ago. So even though they actually did stuff to cause this reaction it’s confusing and unfair and wrong. Because Astros fans matter. Jose Altuve matters. Yankees don’t. I don’t. I’m less than human to most here. At least that’s how this place makes me feel.

This is very strange to me because I always thought you were one of the more liked Yankees posters here. If you're looking for a safe space where the Yankees (and I guess by extension their fans) aren't going to be poo poo-talked than this probably isn't the best place? Unless a mod decides to prob/ban any and all negative talk. Which I guess it may come to that with the endless Astros/cheating derails that just pisses everyone off.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 19, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yankees fans are fans of baseball and i think that's great

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

yankees fans are fans of baseball and i think that's great

Yeah I'm with you but if someone starts saying that they feel less than human here then that's hosed up. It's a loving sports thread for god's sake.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no one thinks anyone other poster here bad because of the team they root for

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one thinks anyone other poster here bad because of the team they root for

maffew buildings posted:

I agree the McMagic type of fans are like the January 6 rioters and all the other Yankees fans are like Josh Hawley

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The Yankees fans here going all the way back to 07 or 08 are the main reason I don’t hate the team.

It’s always been great to see different fanbases represented here with people who are good people and good fans. I hope that never changes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only Yankees fan anyone here dislikes is mcmagic and the main reason most people say "gently caress the Yankees" is because a sustained run of success more than two decades ago is still more than most of our lovely franchises have done

I personally am enlightened and uncowed by groupthink so I have recognized that the Yankees have been pretty cool for a few years (they've got a big dinger guy and spend a lot of money). Unfortunately my enlightenment has also led me to recognize the Astros are also cool (cheating is cool)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This feels like something an agent puts out if they want the Yankees to increase their offer.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I dunno what the gently caress is going on in here, but here's a DEAL baby wooooo:

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1593791615352852480

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYY is the second most prominent and lucrative sports brand in America - behind the Dallas Cowboys - and those are also coincidentally the most hated two teams in America. Then you have Barca and Real Madrid, the Warriors, the Lakers, the Patriots... all despised teams, because people are jealous of their success and fame. People want astros players to go to jail, they want Jose Altuve kicked out of the major leagues. People think the team should've been contracted in 2019.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

NYY is the second most prominent and lucrative sports brand in America - behind the Dallas Cowboys - and those are also coincidentally the most hated two teams in America. Then you have Barca and Real Madrid, the Warriors, the Lakers, the Patriots... all despised teams, because people are jealous of their success and fame. People want astros players to go to jail, they want Jose Altuve kicked out of the major leagues. People think the team should've been contracted in 2019.

No one even like pretends to believe the Astros would ever get any punishment. That ship sailed years ago. At this stage its literally people being upset that Jose Altuve gets booed and people still bring up trash cans.

Like Peter Gammons... a Red Sox writer... is upset that fans are booing a player for the thing he was publicly exposed for doing and apologized for. Because no player in Boston has ever been repeatedly booed for a sillier reason.

My issue isn't why people hate the Yankees. I know why people hate the Yankees. I don't get why there's an expiration date on hating the Astros all of a sudden.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 19, 2022

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1593774982882025473

Davis Ross absolutely losing his mind trying to figure who he's going to give a ton of inexplicable starts to now that Ortega is gone.

Sucks about Marquez, dude looked like he could have been the real thing a few years ago but the injuries just keep rolling and apparently he's hosed up his shoulder again. Maybe he comes back on a minor league deal but he's most likely gone.

The Marquez knews sucks. His shoulder must be really messed up. Some guys just aren't meant to throw 100.

The Sampson and Wick news also sucks because it's a pretty good sign the Cubs aren't going to be aggressive in free agency again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

The Sampson and Wick news also sucks because it's a pretty good sign the Cubs aren't going to be aggressive in free agency again.

How so? Sampson was actually pretty solid, Wick is well Wick and if he could just somehow put it together his stuff is nasty so that's more of a lotto ticket.

I don't think either guy is really hampering payroll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend I am going to drop it after this but all we are trying to do is tell you no one hates you for being a Yankees fan

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t mind the Yankee poo poo talk because it’s more or less what happens as a Yankee fan and it’s occasionally fun to talk poo poo back. This Astros poo poo is annoying because it’s like if some dipshit gimmick account came in here and clutched their pearls every time someone said “gently caress the Yankees.” Just shut the gently caress up and count your rings. You don’t need to defend a bunch of people you don’t know.

That said I’m pretty sure Derek Jeter broke up maffew building’s parents’ marriage or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Good post.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

They can still be released prior to the end of Spring Training for basically nothing. Plenty of guys still on the bubble who may not end up with the team come opening day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Well Played Mauer posted:

I don’t mind the Yankee poo poo talk because it’s more or less what happens as a Yankee fan and it’s occasionally fun to talk poo poo back. This Astros poo poo is annoying because it’s like if some dipshit gimmick account came in here and clutched their pearls every time someone said “gently caress the Yankees.” Just shut the gently caress up and count your rings. You don’t need to defend a bunch of people you don’t know.

That said I’m pretty sure Derek Jeter broke up maffew building’s parents’ marriage or something.

it was pretty shaky already but the 2009 series didn't help. I will never not give Yankees fans poo poo here on something awful dot com internet baseball forums, please do not read into it as a personal attack. it's attack on all of you as a group. namaste.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

How so? Sampson was actually pretty solid, Wick is well Wick and if he could just somehow put it together his stuff is nasty so that's more of a lotto ticket.

I don't think either guy is really hampering payroll.

They have a crunch on the 40-man and just picked up a career minor leaguer the Braves waived and traded for another from the Rays. Maybe they think they can slip a bunch of guys through waivers, but these are not exactly the moves of a team looking to make big upgrades.

If Vizcaino signs back with the Yankees system, the Cubs should file a grievance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

My friend I am going to drop it after this but all we are trying to do is tell you no one hates you for being a Yankees fan

I don't really believe that no one hates Yankee fans here but today wasn't my best day. I vented poo poo I've been bottling for awhile. My bad. Its not a good look.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get why there's an expiration date on hating the Astros all of a sudden.

I never agreed to this fwiw

I also still hate the Saints but I had much more stake in that one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People are going to cheer and defend the teams they like and talk poo poo about teams they don't. This is sports fandom, there's no neutrality requirement. The degree to which that extends depends on the person. It also seems like non-Astros fans think Astros fans are obligated to chalk Altuve's success up to cheating, agree that he was wearing a buzzer, etc

Nah

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Altuve is a good player who cheated. He was probably a good player before and after he cheated. He's probably not still cheating? Who the hell knows really? But you probably can't maintain success that long purely on cheating. Barry Bonds was a hall of fame caliber player before he took peds.

The problem is definitely that (a) so many people are trying to retroactively clean Altuve's resume off and (b) its somehow become some kind of outrageous sin that some fans boo him. People boo players all the time and a lot of them have done less to earn it than Altuve. And as the Astros team has turned over and the number of players from 2017 has lessened this seems to have become more of a priority. Altuve's gonna be an Astro for a long time and a possible HoF candidate. And it feels like people are putting the work in to clean up his record and defend him against the unfair hate.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Many people are saying that the Chicago Cubs are back

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

is Christopher Morel a future MVP? many people are saying he was already robbed of that award his rookie season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I for one look forward to Frank the Tank being an all star for the Dodgers next season

e: there should be an offseason game for guessing which guy the Dodgers pluck off the street to have a monster season each year

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 19, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Pat Wisdom is coming home (to Tacoma)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Many people are saying that the Chicago Cubs are back

The Cubs might are somehow less embarrassing than the Bears and Bulls right now, lol.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Goons shouted 'gently caress the angels' throughout all of the 00s because they won a shitload of games and now they shout 'gently caress the angels' because they lose a shitload of games.

It doesn't have to make sense or make you feel bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s only four or five genuinely bad piece of poo poo posters here and I’m pretty sure two of them were banned since I never see them post anymore.

I don’t think any of the other regulars in these threads genuinely thinks fans of other teams are subhuman. The animosity between the general fanbases of the Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers in particular has been driven to such an extreme in the last few years that it does have a tendency to bleed into what would otherwise be considered fairly standard sports poo poo-talking. I’d wager that most of us here have been fans of our respective teams since childhood, and when something has that kind of emotional investment it can be super easy to take the aforementioned poo poo-talking very personally and/or feel the urge to defend your enjoyment of one of these teams in an unhealthy way.

If you feel like poo poo posting in these threads because of other posters, take a break and wait them out. It ain’t worth your mental health to try and engage with people like that and they’ll lose interest and gently caress off eventually. And if you’re one of those few posters who continually stir up poo poo to try and get a rise out of people, maybe gently caress off forever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good Dog posted:

Goons shouted 'gently caress the angels' throughout all of the 00s because they won a shitload of games and now they shout 'gently caress the angels' because they lose a shitload of games.

Angels fans on twitter loathe the Tungsten Arm tweet but no one's about to stop any time soon

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good Dog posted:

This

And I don't hate anyone in here, you're all cool in my book. I roll my eyes more at some than others but overall this is a pretty chill place to talk sports ball.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The biggest driver of hating a sports team is personally knowing obnoxious fans of said team. It's amazing how much less I hate the Cardinals being decades removed from the frat-boy Cardinal fans of Mizzou.

There should be a name for the paradox of proselytizing ones team to its detractors, thereby giving the detractors more reason to hate the team.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Braves sign Mike Soroka and Tyler Matzek. 1 year for Soroka, 2 for Matzek.

Soroka's money is $2.8 million and it's worth every penny if he pitches to even one big league batter. I've long given up on him replicating his rookie year, but I'd love for him to be able to finish his comeback. Poor dude.

Matzek is out for all of 2023 with Tommy John.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Good Dog posted:

gently caress the Angels was born out of those teams beating everyone with the original Cardinals bullshit magic, Jered Weaver and John Lackey being huge assholes, and the team just rolling over for the Red Sox all the time cause no one liked them either. Mike Scioscia was also kind of a tool if I am remembering right

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Did the kids boo him

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

That’s been a losing strategy since 1945

:golfclap:

Hand Knit posted:

people really gotta chill about the Astros

Lol incredible takeaway after that idiot melting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

personally I believe we not should chill out about the Astros and also gently caress the Astros. I don't care about the cheating, I just don't like them.