Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Down by lakes to the Southeast. They're a stronger but slightly slower Hawlucha and get good STAB at low levels, they're kinda monstrous in game.

Almost literally 'what if we swapped Hawlucha's Atk and Spd and gave it Scrappy'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I burst out laughing irl at this.

I will say that having continued playing, I am having a good time catching and collecting mons. But to be fair that's kind of the hard to gently caress up part of pokemon. I still think the amount of jank is incredibly bad for the price they're asking. Maybe I'm salty because I'm a poor, idk.

(There's also other stuff that annoys me like there being only 4 outfits. Which is so dumb because the npc design is good!)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

initial thoughts after the first couple hours

-i don't know if it's because i have a physical copy and the problems are more prevalent on digital, or if it's because i'm playing in handheld mode, but i feel like a lot of the jank comments have been a little overblown? it seems to run mostly fine, lol

I started playing in handheld after the first couple of hours and weirdly I do think it runs better. Camera will still ocassionaly clip into the ground during battles, but generally its been solid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

Down by lakes to the Southeast. They're a stronger but slightly slower Hawlucha and get good STAB at low levels, they're kinda monstrous in game.

Sounds good, does it evolve out of curiosity?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

Sounds good, does it evolve out of curiosity?

No, single stage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

No, single stage.

Well that kind of damage at low levels still sounds pretty good. I’ll definitely try to pick one up once I get the chance to actually play this, any other early wild Pokémon you’d recommend?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

I agree, but I think this is because of how they did battles in this, where you fight right on the field instead of teleporting into a pocket dimension to battle. So they can't preprogram camera movements into the "arena" unless it's a plot fight where they put you in an exact spot. I guess they could program camera angles in for every trainer since they're in set locations, but Gamefreak gonna cut corners.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I started playing in handheld after the first couple of hours and weirdly I do think it runs better. Camera will still ocassionaly clip into the ground during battles, but generally its been solid

Yea my most consistent graphic issue is the camera randomly deciding 'directly inside my pokemon's rear end in a top hat' or 'from this tree next to things' is the best angle for a battle.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Scromit Comet posted:

The pokemon are great, both in the new designs and in the fact that this game absolutely dumps pokemon on you from the word go, I love having the variety to pick from, I've been able to form a nice little diverse team already and have already run into genuine hard choices for who to run with because of it.

Overall it's an awesome thing, in totally agreeing with everyone that it's way better than the alternative. but holy poo poo am I getting a kind of choice paralysis because I don't know what pokemon are good, I know pick what you want but if you don't already know a bunch of pokemon, and are trying to keep up and compete with your friends who do, what do you even do?

I spent a while being like gently caress the grasshopper pokemon no way that's anything but a garbage pokemon, but then I got his evolution and he's wrecking it. And I didn't know there's hundreds of these things. It's kinda overwhelming.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Klawf is also single stage and kind of a monster early game since you can pick it up near the Titan Klawf and a ton of the early game goals are weak to rock. I also had good experiences with Maschiff, the new dark dog, and weirdly Cyclizar who shows up with no real fanfare.

Right now I'm rocking Fuecoco's evo, Klawf, Nymble, Flamigo, Wooper-P and Cyclizar.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

Overall it's an awesome thing, in totally agreeing with everyone that it's way better than the alternative. but holy poo poo am I getting a kind of choice paralysis because I don't know what pokemon are good, I know pick what you want but if you don't already know a bunch of pokemon, and are trying to keep up and compete with your friends who do, what do you even do?

I spent a while being like gently caress the grasshopper pokemon no way that's anything but a garbage pokemon, but then I got his evolution and he's wrecking it. And I didn't know there's hundreds of these things. It's kinda overwhelming.

The thing that I remind myself of to avoid paralysis is that this game absolutely shits exp on you. The new raid system is way better and faster and always gives candies and the exp share is always on so you totally can have a 'back bench' you work from.

Also how is the grasshopper's evolution? I'm pretty meh on it but also I found it as my first shiny of the gen so kinda feel a little loyal to the lil guy!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love how fast the battles are in this, you get into battle quickly with no transition, attacks are snappy, instead of three separate events to show you "Quaxly used Water Gun!" "It's super effective!" *shows health bar going down* with pauses in between, that stuff happens much more fluidly. After playing Sword this summer it's an incredible comparison.

It's a shame the game runs so poorly. On handheld the resolution was giving me a headache. And the textures/terrain models are just embarrassing. The characters and pokemon actually look very nice up close with good texture work, I'm assuming the game loads in higher res models for cutscenes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Have any maps showing the pokemon locations been released yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scromit Comet posted:

The thing that I remind myself of to avoid paralysis is that this game absolutely shits exp on you. The new raid system is way better and faster and always gives candies and the exp share is always on so you totally can have a 'back bench' you work from.

Also how is the grasshopper's evolution? I'm pretty meh on it but also I found it as my first shiny of the gen so kinda feel a little loyal to the lil guy!

The evo is solid. Decent stats, good typing and some really good move access.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Has anyone gotten to use the cute dolphin I found when I wandered off into area 6? I have no idea how it performs because mine just goes to sleep and ignores me.

But it's adorable, so it stays on the team anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Scromit Comet posted:

It's a Kamen Rider. That's all you need to know.

(Okay but seriously it has great speed and attack, a good typing, and a solid movepool.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I gotta say, despite all issues this feels like the pokemon game I've wanted for years. I am cutting it a lot of slack because I like pretty much everything about it aside from the framerate drops/glitches

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's a Kamen Rider. That's all you need to know.

(Okay but seriously it has great speed and attack, a good typing, and a solid movepool.)

How’s the stage before that out of curiosity and how soon does it evolve?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Has anyone gotten to use the cute dolphin I found when I wandered off into area 6? I have no idea how it performs because mine just goes to sleep and ignores me.

But it's adorable, so it stays on the team anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately its got a really dumb evo requirement and absolutely hideous and gimmicky evo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Nymble is fine, evolves at 24.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

First form is not great but it evolves at 24

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
By the time I'd finished exploring the first area on foot and made it to the school town I somehow had evolved my starter cat once, caught a shiny Hoppip, and evolved a Happiny I'd caught holding an oval stone at lvl 7 into a Blissey at lvl 9...

Meanwhile a picnic at egg lvl 0 has netted nothing in the basket in close to an hour? Do I need to get the basket explained to me before eggs will appear or something?

Game is definitely underbaked in all kinds of areas.

E: ate a jam sandwich and one showed!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

Kind of meh, it doesn't get a decent Bug stab until 22 and then evolves at 24. Until then you're relying on Assurance and Double Kick to deal damage.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lux Animus posted:

By the time I'd finished exploring the first area on foot and made it to the school town I somehow had evolved my starter cat once, caught a shiny Hoppip, and evolved a Happiny I'd caught holding an oval stone at lvl 7 into a Blissey at lvl 9...

Meanwhile a picnic at egg lvl 0 has netted nothing in the basket in close to an hour? Do I need to get the basket explained to me before eggs will appear or something?

Game is definitely underbaked in all kinds of areas.

E: ate a jam sandwich and one showed!

I have no idea how any of these food stats work, can you give me a general breakdown of the affect categories? I assumed the egg one was for getting eggs through breeding but now there's a basket?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did you mash through the tutorial?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Dang just lost like 2 hours of progress cuz the game crashed on me and I didn't have auto save enabled, rip me I guess.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
im noticing that, unlike PLA, pokemon spawning is kind of weird? Like in that game, if something appeared on the map, you could basically walk a mile away and when you came back it would still be there.

I saw a mankey 5 feet away from me on top of a small incline. I couldn't get up the incline from that position, so I walked about 10 meters to the left. When I turned the camera back around, the mankey was replaced by a skiddo and a lechonk.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Clipped through a store and slid down a cliff to get a tm. Only way back was to force myself to blackout

You probably could have quick travelled

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
just beat klawf, this game is pretty neat

also koraidon reminds me of toothless from httyd? very catlike dragon. he's a big sweetie. :kimchi:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

just beat klawf, this game is pretty neat

also koraidon reminds me of toothless from httyd? very catlike dragon. he's a big sweetie. :kimchi:

Best boi is the Flintstones dragon.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

Said the same thing while my partner was watching. He makes cute sounds and is my best friend!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Blaziken386 posted:

im noticing that, unlike PLA, pokemon spawning is kind of weird? Like in that game, if something appeared on the map, you could basically walk a mile away and when you came back it would still be there.

I saw a mankey 5 feet away from me on top of a small incline. I couldn't get up the incline from that position, so I walked about 10 meters to the left. When I turned the camera back around, the mankey was replaced by a skiddo and a lechonk.

yeah it has extremely aggressive culling. Reminds me of the old 3D GTA games where if you saw a car you wanted you had to stay real close and keep it within camera range, else it'd disappear

honestly a lot of the bugs, like NPCs having low frame rates, disappearing objects, all the weird camera stuff, feels like their optimization algorithms are tuned way too high. of course the game also runs real bad as is, so maybe it's necessary

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Should I be focusing on Gyms

I did the first one, then fought a titan and kinda wanna poke a team star base but my mons are all around 24ish and I don't want my team to just stop listening to me :/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Switch lite report: Some of the animations(shoutout to the hilariously stilted npc walk animations if you're too far away)/menu loading is jank but nothing world-ending like people are implying. Then again I think I'm missing the part of my brain that remotely cares about that stuff as long as I can actually play the drat game, which I can. A lot of stuff does look bad(and it takes a lot for me to even notice that poo poo looks bad), but it's not like it makes it unplayable. The worst is the delay in loading menus imo, but that's not something I'm doing constantly anyway. My real complaints are stuff like the lack of fashion and not being able to north-lock the drat minimap.

The actual game is fun, even though I get the sense it's expecting me to spend a lot more time sitting around just catching/fighting wild mons than I'm ever going to bother with(although the auto-fight mode helps a lot - it's only a fraction of the xp, but that's infinitely more than I'd get just not bothering with the fights at all). Nearly got my poo poo wrecked by a tera Meowth with technician & a courier trainer both on the first route to the west. Not necessarily complaining mind you, it's just a bit of a shock since most Pokemon games let you essentially sleepwalk through the first several routes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nearly wiped to a wild Mankey! I can't believe he's going to get so cross he'll die. Relatable.

My only issue outside of technical ones is that I feel a bit overwhelmed. So many places! Pokemon! Items lying around! If they'd left in the ability to capture without a battle this would be my perfect game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Haifisch posted:

Switch lite report: Some of the animations(shoutout to the hilariously stilted npc walk animations if you're too far away)/menu loading is jank but nothing world-ending like people are implying. Then again I think I'm missing the part of my brain that remotely cares about that stuff as long as I can actually play the drat game, which I can. A lot of stuff does look bad(and it takes a lot for me to even notice that poo poo looks bad), but it's not like it makes it unplayable. The worst is the delay in loading menus imo, but that's not something I'm doing constantly anyway. My real complaints are stuff like the lack of fashion and not being able to north-lock the drat minimap.

The actual game is fun, even though I get the sense it's expecting me to spend a lot more time sitting around just catching/fighting wild mons than I'm ever going to bother with(although the auto-fight mode helps a lot - it's only a fraction of the xp, but that's infinitely more than I'd get just not bothering with the fights at all). Nearly got my poo poo wrecked by a tera Meowth with technician & a courier trainer both on the first route to the west. Not necessarily complaining mind you, it's just a bit of a shock since most Pokemon games let you essentially sleepwalk through the first several routes.

The game is $60 USD and from a company that makes hundreds of millions in net profit. It should probably run correctly on set hardware with only one platform SKU to make the game for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GIVE ME BACK MY OLIVE! I NEED THAT YOU CHEATING JERK! :argh:

Took me a good five minutes of bonking into him at various angles to get it unstuck.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The game is $60 USD and from a company that makes hundreds of millions in net profit. It should probably run correctly on set hardware with only one platform SKU to make the game for.

Oh it's unacceptable yeah. But it's not unplayable and people are just sharing their experiences so other people can make purchasing decisions. Like this is not okay, that it's like this. But we all fuckin bought it anyway.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I went in completely the wrong direction and hit the cave with all the dark type pokemon at levels 30-40 after the bug gym lady because it looked like the closest and now i just want to try to catch them because they look so cool. I only ever really played red/blue and fairy and dark types are a novelty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Can someone help me out? In S/V how do I k ow if/get my starter’s secret ability…? I’m finding hidden abilities a really confusing and not straightforward concept