Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Soroka's money is $2.8 million and it's worth every penny if he pitches to even one big league batter. I've long given up on him replicating his rookie year, but I'd love for him to be able to finish his comeback. Poor dude.

Soroka making it back in any role at this point would be one of the feel-good stories of the year

Braves also non-tendered a few folks but no one in any way noteworthy except maybe General Jackson Stephens, who I'm sure will find his way back to the team somehow

oh and i guess Heredia but there wasn't going to be any room for him anyway

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My personal beef with the Astros is, aside from being division rivals:

- ultimately a toxic front office, and you see it in their AGM yelling at a female reporter how happy they were to acquire a domestic abuser, which kind of feeds into the "win at any cost" thing.
- obviously the cheating thing. MLB giving immunity to the players that cheated didn't help, and for them to do a long, sustained system without anyone shutting it down is incredibly messed up. If the players involved were suspended I probably would have been okay with it.
- Dusty Baker is friends with Bill Cosby.
- a social media presence more cringe worthy than the Vegas Golden Knights.
- all the Mariner people I follow on Twitter are weird, delightful people and Astros fans always loving invaded while everyone was having a good time and wanted to ruin the vibe.

I feel like if your team gets caught in a massive scandal, it's extremely hard to disavow the awful poo poo that they did. Either you can separate it, or your mind pretzel twists itself into a narrative downplaying it. So when hit with a cheating scandal that everyone else sees as poo poo, your mind has to say "well it's not that bad, its my team" and you cant be rational about it. You saw it with Penn State fans and Sandusky which is probably the worst recent example, but to lesser extent like with Tom Brady's deflategate (lol), fans that are still mad about the Redskins changing their name, etc. If the Mariners had kept Kevin Mather on as president after those really poo poo comments I probably would have done similar things.

Anyway I'll shut up about the Astros for now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1593994436031266820?t=laKeTjsDENBPjwh97IcO8g&s=19

Do itttt

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If they do that, cool Kyle gets his 4 seamer up to 90 , continue to bunt and Christopher Morel continues to develop the way we know he will I'm not sure how anyone can stand a chance against the Cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

locking up nico is a loving no-brainer.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Astros are a useful instrument of suffering. I root for maximum misery league wide and they have provided that, so I am grateful to them.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Anyway I'll shut up about the Astros for now.

Please. Enough words have been said. They just continue to tear lives apart.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

seiferguy posted:

- ultimately a toxic front office, and you see it in their AGM yelling at a female reporter how happy they were to acquire a domestic abuser, which kind of feeds into the "win at any cost" thing.
Also having to talk down execs from signing Heimlich is... better than signing him but still :chloe:

seiferguy posted:

- obviously the cheating thing. MLB giving immunity to the players that cheated didn't help, and for them to do a long, sustained system without anyone shutting it down is incredibly messed up. If the players involved were suspended I probably would have been okay with it.
Loathe as I am to credit Manfred, I think he read the CBA properly here- MLB lacked the authority to suspend the players. Given bullshit like the Terrelle Pryor nonsense in the NFL, I don't hate the bargained for strict limitations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god some of you can't help yourselves

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

wow, saturday morning and paul blackburn, cole irvin, sean murphy, tony kemp, ramon laureano and seth brown are still athletics. wonder how long that lasts! at least we know they won't get rid of fan favorite stephen vogt (because he retired)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
are any of them making more than, say, $5m this season?

e: lmao their projected payroll if they don't sign anyone new is like $30m and $5m of that is deferred money owed to Trevor Rosenthal

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah I'm confident Fisher can get that down to 20m. he's having a really rough time, probably will need to double ticket prices again :( I can't even imagine what it's like to be the Poorest MLB Club Owner, he must feel humiliated every time there's an owners meeting :(

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 19, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

That is a loving all-time Dad

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I am ready for a month of YANKEES GIANTS BIDDING WAR, followed by the Dodgers giving Judge $400 million and Farhan signing Andrew Benintendi because of his platoon splits

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Red posted:

That is a loving all-time Dad

it is kind of hilarious to imagine him walking in there only to immediately be met with resounding boos from all the other kids, the teachers, the staff, etc

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

elentar posted:

it is kind of hilarious to imagine him walking in there only to immediately be met with resounding boos from all the other kids, the teachers, the staff, etc

The Yankees gif guy there too

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think it is super cool and good that he is that good a dad, I approve of good dads

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

The Yankees gif guy there too

I can't choose just one

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

baseball brings fathers and sons together and i think that's great

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I can't choose just one

if i have to, it's "gently caress YOU gently caress YOU" guy all day

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I am ready for a month of YANKEES GIANTS BIDDING WAR, followed by the Dodgers giving Judge $400 million and Farhan signing Andrew Benintendi because of his platoon splits
while this would be very funny, I don’t see the Dodgers throwing that kind of money at Judge. If they’re signing a 9-figure deal this winter it’d be Turner, though I have my doubts about that too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If I can’t hate teams and their fans loudly and voraciously for justified and/or arbitrary reasons why the gently caress would I follow sports ?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

if i have to, it's "gently caress YOU gently caress YOU" guy all day

First ballot HoF New York style of guy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

while this would be very funny, I don’t see the Dodgers throwing that kind of money at Judge. If they’re signing a 9-figure deal this winter it’d be Turner, though I have my doubts about that too.

Have they signed anyone other than Mookie to a long term deal (5+ years) recently?

e: oh Freddie's deal is six years, longer than I thought

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Asdrubal Cabrera did not like this batter pimping his homerun in Venezuelan Winter League

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1594158883098042368?s=20&t=9X6FsATB-9nmzqo_z73jhg

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Its Rinaldo posted:

If I can’t hate teams and their fans loudly and voraciously for justified and/or arbitrary reasons why the gently caress would I follow sports ?

srsly. i feel like sports fandom is good for the world when it's an outlet for all our weird human tribalist tendencies in a place where they do less harm. obviously there are occasions when they align with other tribal stuff and do lead to more harm, but i don't think american baseball has that particular problem.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ihatepants posted:

Asdrubal Cabrera did not like this batter pimping his homerun in Venezuelan Winter League

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1594158883098042368?s=20&t=9X6FsATB-9nmzqo_z73jhg

Weak-minded

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love being positive and happy about baseball. The only people I genuinely can’t stand are fans who are miserable, burned out and super negative about a literal game that should either be enjoyed thoroughly or ignored. Don’t forget you’re complicit when something makes you angry!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love being positive and happy about baseball. The only people I genuinely can’t stand are fans who are miserable, burned out and super negative about a literal game that should either be enjoyed thoroughly or ignored. Don’t forget you’re complicit when something makes you angry!!!

I had so much fun this year with the Cubs going 74-88. Can't wait for spring

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Poque posted:

I had so much fun this year with the Cubs going 74-88. Can't wait for spring

As a Cardinals fan I like your team and I hope it gets better next year and we have some great games between us, take that bitch

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ihatepants posted:

I think the pitcher is the one that shoves him too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

As a Cardinals fan I like your team and I hope it gets better next year and we have some great games between us, take that bitch

if you maniacs sign Willie i am going to kidnap a Clydesdale

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

ihatepants posted:

lmao La Tortuga Willians Astudillo running out onto the field as a player punches another player, a topic he is an expert on as he lost his Twins roster spot for 2022 after decking a guy in winter ball last year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I thought you were allowed to have fun in winter ball without some red rear end dickhead being mad at you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

R.D. Mangles posted:

if you maniacs sign Willie i am going to kidnap a Clydesdale

I feel like the Cards having a catcher with weak defense and whatnot isn’t what they want but :eyepop: dat bat :eyepop:

Is he even that bad defensively?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel like the Cards having a catcher with weak defense and whatnot isn’t what they want but :eyepop: dat bat :eyepop:

Is he even that bad defensively?

I don't think so, he's so atheltic, good at blocking and has a loving howitzer arm and the best back pick in baseball, but apparently he's not good at Framing so baseball has decided he's garbage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't think so, he's so atheltic, good at blocking and has a loving howitzer arm and the best back pick in baseball, but apparently he's not good at Framing so baseball has decided he's garbage.

Yeah gently caress it, that can improve. Literally just stick Yadi around him 24/7 and he’ll sort it out.

Howitzer catchers own so hard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ihatepants posted:

asdubral cabrera is a middle infielder, why is he so mad

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

The Cubs might are somehow less embarrassing than the Bears and Bulls right now, lol.

Cubs have won a championship in the last 20 years.

Now if they'd be cool and offer Willy a pallet of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's fascinating to me that this sport is so wed to the idea of human mistakes being part of the game that creating them is regarded as a super-important skill for at least one position

like no one in the NFL tracks "flopped pass interference calls" or at least that's not a publicly known thing bandied about on broadcasts