Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

the guns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paladinus posted:

Again, it's not conclusive, but it doesn't look like other Russian soldiers were killed in panic.
Legally, and going by historical precedent, that doesn't appear to matter.

Once someone pulls a weapon (gun, grenade, knife, etc) the whole group can (legally, as far as I can tell anyways, not a lawyer) be considered as attacking soldiers and treated accordingly even while begging for surrender.

Why? Because they could be faking it too and have a grenade or gun in their pocket or under their jacket.

e:

Paladinus posted:

Without knowing what exactly happened between the two videos, it's impossible to say one way or the other, hence why a proper investigation is needed.
It sounds to me like you can't accept either the historical or legal reality regarding perfidy, which is a bit understandable because its hosed up, but that doesn't actually matter here.

All they'll need to do is show the vid of the Russian guy coming out shooting, shrug, and that'll probably be the end of it from a legal perspective.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 19, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wouldn't this be either Bofors 40mm or Oerlikon 20 or 30mm autocannons? Just the thought of trying to shoot at drones with a howitzer is :goofy:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Wouldn't this be either Bofors 40mm or Oerlikon 20 or 30mm autocannons? Just the thought of trying to shoot at drones with a howitzer is :goofy:

I read it initially that way too, but he’s using it as a prior example of them acquiring howitzers on the open market as aid, not them acquiring the M109 as anti aircraft guns.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ah yes, that makes more sense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Iran will help Russia build drones for Ukraine war, Western officials say
Moscow and Tehran are said to agree on a plan to assemble Iranian-designed weapons on Russian soil

quote:

After weeks of savaging Ukrainian cities with Iranian-made drones, Moscow has quietly reached an agreement with Tehran to begin manufacturing hundreds of unmanned weaponized aircraft on Russian soil, according to new intelligence seen by U.S. and other Western security agencies.

Russian and Iranian officials finalized the deal during a meeting in Iran in early November, and the two countries are moving rapidly to transfer designs and key components that could allow production to begin within months, three officials familiar with the matter said in interviews.

The agreement, if fully realized, would represent a further deepening of a Russian-Iranian alliance that already has provided crucial support for Moscow’s faltering military campaign in Ukraine, the officials said. By acquiring its own assembly line, Russia could dramatically increase its stockpile of relatively inexpensive but highly destructive weapons systems that, in recent weeks, have changed the character of the nine-month-old Ukrainian conflict.

[...]

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Nenonen posted:

I'm not sure what other SPAAGs are really out there that they could acquire.

… are there still VADS out there?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

May some check if I am off base here?

There's been recent reporting or comments from various NATO, US and European leaders about a call for peace talks or some kind of negotiation. Initially, this kind of surprised me because it's Ukraine's war and they've literally said that it's up to them in previous press conferences.

They've since backtracked, and one might be thinking that The West is getting tired of supporting Ukraine. I have a different theory and that is now that Ukraine has seized the initiative, they're equipped with state-of-art western equipment, not just a few HIMARS but potentially dozens along with whatever else they're going to absolutely destroy Russian forces. It's going not just be some kind of victory but a massive total defeat and thousands more Russian soldiers will die. Probably even more. Much more. It will be absolutely brutal. Most of these guys don't deserve such a fate and have no idea what is coming.

It's essentially a way for the West to save face and prevent the conflict from potentially spilling out of Ukraine.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 19, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

The article only says anti-aircraft guns, while that could mean AA vehicles it doesn't sound super likely that you would get 125 flakwagens for under 50 million pounds (which Ł figure also includes all other sorts of items like radars). If we're talking about guns and systems in the market then that opens possibilities, but if the Iranian missiles are mainly used against civilian point targets then mobility isn't an issue and you can get ZU-23/2 towed AA guns a lot cheaper than self-propelled ZSU-23/4's.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukraine is not equipped with state of the art western weapons, it's equipped with a few here and there, but mostly with whatever it had (a lot of which is getting attritioned with no replacement) , old Soviet stuff Eastern European countries had laying around, and old Western stuff that was laying around with certain categories of Western equipment never offered even for sale no matter how obsolete.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nenonen posted:

for curiosity's sake I did look at Saab Bofor's site and they have a bunch of modern naval guns. Maybe a mobile version of that?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine is not equipped with state of the art western weapons, it's equipped with a few here and there, but mostly with whatever it had (a lot of which is getting attritioned with no replacement) , old Soviet stuff Eastern European countries had laying around, and old Western stuff that was laying around with certain categories of Western equipment never offered even for sale no matter how obsolete.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't things like M777, Caeser, Pzh2000, HIMARS, etc. with guided munitions having an enormous impact?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, but they have them in homeopathic quantities. The bulk of their stuff is still Soviet era tube artillery / howitzers and tanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't things like M777, Caeser, Pzh2000, HIMARS, etc. with guided munitions having an enormous impact?

Yes, but Russia still has artillery advantage, just no longer overwhelming one. Ukraine is by no means in a position to easily push the Russians out (it may happen, but at a huge cost which would have been much lower with actual state of the art weaponry) and AA/air degradation may turn into a catastrophe at some point. (Also PzH seems to spend much of its time in the shop).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What do you mean AA degradation?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

May some check if I am off base here?

The Russians no longer have the critical shortage of manpower that enabled the Kharkiv offensive to make so much headway, nor the bottle-necked supply lines that made Kherson unsustainable. Western ammo stockpiles aren't infinite, and production can't be ramped up widely enough to keep up with demand. Surovikin has shown competent leadership in the Kherson retreat too. I still expect further Ukrainian advances, and we'll see how the first batch of mobiks deals with Winter temperatures with their poor training and equipment, but it mostly looks like the low-hanging fruit have been plucked and it will be harder for Ukraine going forward, unless there's a mass rout of mobiks whenever they come under pressure.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What do you mean AA degradation?

Anti-air systems get destroyed by Russians in the field periodically; with no direct replacements for many of them, and it's unclear what ammo supply is like. There are some replacements for things protecting cities, but at very low volume and they can't both cover cities from terror bombing and things in the field. A lot of these simply cannot be replaced because the Western doctrine is to use fancy planes for this, but they are not willing to provide planes.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

orcane posted:

Yes, but they have them in homeopathic quantities. The bulk of their stuff is still Soviet era tube artillery / howitzers and tanks.

Using off the shelf drones to drop grenades has been extremely easy and effective, but I've never seen hard numbers on casualties compared to traditional weapons.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SaTaMaS posted:

Using off the shelf drones to drop grenades has been extremely easy and effective, but I've never seen hard numbers on casualties compared to traditional weapons.

You don't see videos of all the areas where drones can't fly because of Russian EW countermeasures.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Antigravitas posted:

There are hundreds, if not thousands of twin 23mm ZSU AA guns all over the world from Soviet times. If they ask around in the Commonwealth Nigeria has 350, South Africa has three dozen mounted akready on trucks, Mozambique has 150 and plenty from other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZU-23-2

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Iran will help Russia build drones for Ukraine war, Western officials say
Moscow and Tehran are said to agree on a plan to assemble Iranian-designed weapons on Russian soil

Feels like this is a mistake for Iran. The U.S. and Israel are always looking for a reason to bomb Iran and they pretty much gave them one.

Edit: I misread this. I had thought the drones would be built in Iran and not Russia. Will be interesting to see if there's still an industrial sector that can assemble them in mass.

Also, going to see a tighter sanctions net over Iran since there's lots of Western-made components in them that they seem to not be able to replicate.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 19, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Feels like this is a mistake for Iran. The U.S. and Israel are always looking for a reason to bomb Iran and they pretty much gave them one.

To what end?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CeeJee posted:

There are hundreds, if not thousands of twin 23mm ZSU AA guns all over the world from Soviet times. If they ask around in the Commonwealth Nigeria has 350, South Africa has three dozen mounted akready on trucks, Mozambique has 150 and plenty from other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZU-23-2

I honestly just dismissed those. But yeah, that would make sense, I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

OTO melara / Leonardo has been trying to sell the Draco variant of the centauro and failed to find purchasers for a good part of two decades.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Russians no longer have the critical shortage of manpower that enabled the Kharkiv offensive to make so much headway, nor the bottle-necked supply lines that made Kherson unsustainable. Western ammo stockpiles aren't infinite, and production can't be ramped up widely enough to keep up with demand. Surovikin has shown competent leadership in the Kherson retreat too. I still expect further Ukrainian advances, and we'll see how the first batch of mobiks deals with Winter temperatures with their poor training and equipment, but it mostly looks like the low-hanging fruit have been plucked and it will be harder for Ukraine going forward, unless there's a mass rout of mobiks whenever they come under pressure.

Isn't Russia also facing the same equipment and supply shortages?

It seems like to me if my earlier hypothesis is incorrect, it sounds like it's going to a long bloody stalemate, but I don't see Russia joining the world economy any time soon either.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Crimea has the same supply issue Kherson has, since the Kersh bridge was heavily damaged. The only supply routes to Crimea are either severely damaged (Kersh), or goes through Ukrainian artillery range (route through Novooleksiivka). It doesn't seem like they can sit back with infinite supplies, not that Russia has ever had infinite supplies.

And good, Surovikin knows how to retreat. But can he fight?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Isn't Russia also facing the same equipment and supply shortages?

It seems like to me if my earlier hypothesis is incorrect, it sounds like it's going to a long bloody stalemate, but I don't see Russia joining the world economy any time soon either.

They have good suppliers in Iran and North Korea. And coincidentally the former is providing them with weapons capabilities Ukraine does not have[1] and the West will absolutely not provide (long range missiles), to the point they forbid use of HIMARS against targets in Russia.

[1] After being pressured to give them up alongside the nukes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Young Freud posted:

Edit: I misread this. I had thought the drones would be built in Iran and not Russia. Will be interesting to see if there's still an industrial sector that can assemble them in mass.

Also, going to see a tighter sanctions net over Iran since there's lots of Western-made components in them that they seem to not be able to replicate.

This is in addition to the current practice of Iran building them the drones.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Am I incorrect in my impression that Ukraine is likely to win the war? From what I've been reading, it doesn't like Putin has enough troops, leverage, supplies, etc. Granted, I suppose it could just turn into a endless meat grinder or some weird South-North Korea DMZ situation.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

. Granted, I suppose it could just turn into a endless meat grinder or some weird South-North Korea DMZ situation.

These honestly seem like the most likely outcomes at this point, at least in the short to medium term.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I imagine that Russia is going to sit on Ukraine's border for the coming year, just flinging missiles at infrastructure and harassing towns.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I thought at the beginning of this current round of fighting that it would last roughly three years before Ukraine had them pushed out of their territory, i'm beginning to wonder if Russia can even hold it together for that long.

I have no actual combat/military knowledge, computer games don't count. :ughh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Am I incorrect in my impression that Ukraine is likely to win the war? From what I've been reading, it doesn't like Putin has enough troops, leverage, supplies, etc. Granted, I suppose it could just turn into a endless meat grinder or some weird South-North Korea DMZ situation.

This is a current events thread.

Kchama posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Crimea has the same supply issue Kherson has, since the Kersh bridge was heavily damaged. The only supply routes to Crimea are either severely damaged (Kersh), or goes through Ukrainian artillery range (route through Novooleksiivka). It doesn't seem like they can sit back with infinite supplies, not that Russia has ever had infinite supplies.

And good, Surovikin knows how to retreat. But can he fight?

Kerch bridge was damaged, but not incapacitated, and the peninsula is receiving cargo by sea in Sevastopol’ and on the Kerch strait ferry line. Kherson has been in a much worse condition, comparatively.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kerch bridge was damaged, but not incapacitated, and the peninsula is receiving cargo by sea in Sevastopol’ and on the Kerch strait ferry line. Kherson has been in a much worse condition, comparatively.

My understanding is that Sevastopol and the ferry represent a much lower output of supplies even combined with the one working rail line on the Kersh bridge.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kchama posted:

My understanding is that Sevastopol and the ferry represent a much lower output of supplies even combined with the one working rail line on the Kersh bridge.

It is reduced, I'm not arguing that it's not. It's just in a much healthier state than then Kherson battle group was, relying on just a handful of pontoon bridge ferries.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm sorry but are you telling me discussion of potential outcomes or events of war isn't permitted in this thread? That's confusing because things like this and other similar subjects have been discussed in the past but I can drop it you'd prefer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm sorry but are you telling me discussion of potential outcomes isn't permitted in this thread? That's confusing because things like this and other similar subjects have been discussed in the past but I can drop it you'd prefer.

It's not explicitly prohibited, and I tolerate it just fine when there's a reason to have a go at it, e.g., when the mainstream conversation is focusing on some diplomatic happenings. To randomly bring it up, however, is explicitly off-topic, and I would like to discourage that, and have intervened in the past accordingly.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

There's also a huge difference between collating and/or summarizing pertinent analysis of the strategical, economic and/or geo-political outlook of the participants in the war - or even just linking a new analysis video/blog/article/post by some smart person with expert knowledge, and opionated goons sharing their predictions on who is going to win this war and why/when. Well, to be fair sometimes goon analysis and predictions are interesting. But asking "who is going to win?" is just inviting people to give an opinion without context to back it up. It's better to ask "what sources should I seek out to gain a better understanding of the potential outlook for the war"?. Otherwise it just ends up with cheerleading, low-intensity trolling and toeing the not-so-easy line between analysis based on facts and prediction based on hypotheticals.

And following that up with some actual references: Anders Puck Nielsen, Perun, JominiW - those are some I would suggest. Others might suggest Shashank Joshi, who I found strongly Russia-biased early on, but trying to fight my own biases, I do my best to still listen/read what he says. But the OP actually has a pretty good collection of material / sources, so that's also a good starting point.

If reassurances that everything will be alright is what one is seeking, I don't think this is the right thread (and I'm not sure any such exists on SA in regards to this war).

PederP fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 19, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is reduced, I'm not arguing that it's not. It's just in a much healthier state than then Kherson battle group was, relying on just a handful of pontoon bridge ferries.

We might just be quibbling over minor numbers then, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I didn't mean to ask a crass "who's going to win??!?!" question, just trying to check myself and trying make sense of everything I've read over the past few days. I didn't see an on-going conservation, but I apologize if interrupted anyone.