Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Framboise posted:

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

Is it just a petty desire for dirt against Biden?

Trump did a lot of Nepotism and crimes. This is a Republican whataboutism response. It's just diversion and projection.

Trump Crime family?! No! Biden Crime family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
NYT suggesting that Alito may be behind some leaks and has contemporaneous emails that support him being a behind disclosing the Hobby Lobby outcome to the company.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1593964928120954880?s=12

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's also, I suspect, an attempt to run the Clinton Crime Family again. After all, it stopped Hillary*, didn't it?

*White Water et al. probably didn't actually stop Hillary

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

The people who claim it matters couldn't even tell you why it matters because it's utter nonsense. It's noise designed to drive the particularly loony conspiracy minded members of the public further towards the GOP trough. It's the jangling of car keys.

It's the Republican playbook. Attack the enemy based on what you did so any accusations based in fact against you get flooded with bullshit you make up about them. Nothing is real if everything is fake, so flood the zone with poo poo about everything and base it all on tummyfeels and tribal politics. Bam, now the Democrats are bad because of what you did.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Elon isn't being a good guy; he doesn't want all his advertisers to leave at once.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bird food bathtub posted:

It's the Republican playbook. Attack the enemy based on what you did so any accusations based in fact against you get flooded with bullshit you make up about them. Nothing is real if everything is fake, so flood the zone with poo poo about everything and base it all on tummyfeels and tribal politics. Bam, now the Democrats are bad because of what you did.

And it usually works, too. Democrats have always immediately folded and panicked about everything Republicans say about them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Framboise posted:

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

the goal is to either create an aura of scandal or to both-sides it so everyone views all investigations as politically motivated

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jesus III posted:

Elon isn't being a good guy; he doesn't want all his advertisers to leave at once.

Who’s even left at this point?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

Starlink and Tesla

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Framboise posted:

"But her e-mails". It's just something that they want to be able to say loud and long enough that people assume that it's bad when they say "But Hunter's laptop" 2 years from now, despite the actual story being literally nothing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

Considering how fast he blew it up, I wouldn't be surprised if a huge number of companies have already paid for advertising over the near future. We're probably not too far away from Twitter going full Alex Jones/AM Radio sponsors though.

This sponsored tweet from Gold Buyer's Direct!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I would have imagined that a million microphones would have been stuck in Ron DeSantis’ face immediately after Trump’s stupid announcement, asking him whether he was going to run/endorse Trump etc. Has he had any comment?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Framboise posted:

It's got evidence of aliens on it OP (this is actually more likely than whatever bullshit the GOP is claiming).

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 19, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zwabu posted:

I would have imagined that a million microphones would have been stuck in Ron DeSantis’ face immediately after Trump’s stupid announcement, asking him whether he was going to run/endorse Trump etc. Has he had any comment?

His philosophy has been to just ignore trump, both trump's announcements and trump's attacks.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm actually seeing a lot of ads for companies operating out of Saudi Arabia, too. A quick skim saw ads for Bayer, High Noon, and IBM. So their ad revenue hasn't completely dried up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Framboise posted:

It's just the Republican equivalent of Trump's tax returns and/or the Russian pee tape.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

the goal is to either create an aura of scandal or to both-sides it so everyone views all investigations as politically motivated

That and to also hope the media starts repeating their lies over and over again like they did with Benghazi. All they need is one "scandal" to stick and hope enough mainstreamers go with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hunter's laptop is just a new "but her emails". It doesn't actually mean anything and is just something some idiot can shout about without actually knowing anything about. If you asked a chud "what about Hunter's laptop" they will probably say "it's proof of a crime" and if you ask what crime you will most likely get the most vaguest non sense making answer around.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

While some members of the GOP are absolutely just using Hunter Biden as an attack, I'm starting to think there are a few who actually believe there's something there.

They're reminding me of a friend whose brain rotted and now parrots conspiracy theories.

JazzFlight posted:

Unfortunately seems to be true. My 2002 Corolla is finally going to give up the ghost soon due to aging parts, so I need to find a replacement before next May (inspection time). I just want the cheapest car I can find and all I have as options are $20k+, and if I want a replacement Corolla it’ll probably run closer to $30k after taxes and fees. Used Corollas are more than the new prices and each dealership is charging artificial markup over MSRP. I hate having to shop for a car, it’s a loving nightmare since I barely drive and my commute is like 10 mins.

I really wish there was just some cheap small car available for people like me.

Uber or Lyft?

Ither fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 19, 2022

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

evilweasel posted:

His philosophy has been to just ignore trump, both trump's announcements and trump's attacks.

Yeah but he's going to be asked "are you going to support Trump's reelection campaign" starting now. Even a "no comment" invites more attacks from Trump.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the_steve posted:

It's just the Republican equivalent of Trump's tax returns

no, it isn't, because there is no plausible universe in which comparing his tax returns to his bank loan paperwork or his internal financials do not reveal an actual factual crime on the part of Donald Trump himself

which is, you know, why NY is seeking to prosecute him for precisely those crimes

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no, it isn't, because there is no plausible universe in which comparing his tax returns to his bank loan paperwork or his internal financials do not reveal an actual factual crime on the part of Donald Trump himself

which is, you know, why NY is seeking to prosecute him for precisely those crimes

They did jack poo poo to Trump for stealing nuclear documents that would get any one of us disappeared if we thought about them too hard. His tax returns don't matter, they're just hot air to rile up the base, just like Hunter Biden's laptop.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 19, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Byzantine posted:

They did jack poo poo to Trump for stealing nuclear documents that would get any one of us disappeared if we thought about them too hard. His tax returns don't matter, they're just hot air to rile up the base, just like Hunter Biden's laptop.

Who is "they"? This isn't the Feds, its the state of New York, and they likely have Trump in a situation where he either committed tax fraud against New York, or he committed fraud against the banks. He can choose which felony he prefers, but either way he's going to be convicted of something unless the jury hangs. (I'm just ignoring the fact that your declaration that nothing will happen with the nuclear documents is absurdly premature given that a prosecutor was just appointed yesterday who has experience prosecuting that exact crime)

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 19, 2022

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The hope is Trump's presidential announcement actually spurred Garland to action rather than what he was doing before, so that is a hopeful appointment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the_steve posted:

It's just the Republican equivalent of Trump's tax returns and/or the Russian pee tape.

this is basically the goal of the hunter investigation: creating nonsense to get people and the media to draw precisely this sort of nonsensical false equivalence

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Framboise posted:

it doesnt outside throwing red meat to the chuds and owning libs none of which matters to anyone outside the base(moderates/indies/liberals/progressives/etc) all the polls show that the uber MAGA/culture war poo poo is loving hated and the GOP that did well outside bright red areas were boring kasich types/vaguely socially liberal types. this poo poo will put the GOP in a dumber place for 24.

Nonsense posted:

The hope is Trump's presidential announcement actually spurred Garland to action rather than what he was doing before, so that is a hopeful appointment.

probably. Garland strikes me as someone who does realize how bad trump and this poo poo is and is taking this poo poo very carefully. i have enough interviews with him saying as much.

Ither posted:

While some members of the GOP are absolutely just using Hunter Biden as an attack, I'm starting to think there are a few who actually believe there's something there.

They're reminding me of a friend whose brain rotted and now parrots conspiracy theories.

Uber or Lyft?

i think a decent amount of the chuds legit believe the bullshit and think hunter is some grand admeral thrawn type communist crime lord and poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JazzFlight posted:

Unfortunately seems to be true. My 2002 Corolla is finally going to give up the ghost soon due to aging parts, so I need to find a replacement before next May (inspection time). I just want the cheapest car I can find and all I have as options are $20k+, and if I want a replacement Corolla it’ll probably run closer to $30k after taxes and fees. Used Corollas are more than the new prices and each dealership is charging artificial markup over MSRP. I hate having to shop for a car, it’s a loving nightmare since I barely drive and my commute is like 10 mins.

I really wish there was just some cheap small car available for people like me.

How far do you travel/commute on a regular basis? A scooter or E-bike might meet a lot of your requirements, and then rent a car for a day if you need to haul something or a group. If you regularly have passengers or need to make a longer commute, that won't work of course.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ither posted:

Uber or Lyft?

While individual rides will be cheaper than a car, this solution will not wind up more affordable than owning a car.

I don't drive at all (meaning I imagine it'd be worse for someone who does and presumably isn't used to walking wherever they can) and needing to use Uber and Lyft for everything during the early stages of the pandemic where public transit was shut down or... Uh, not really very safe, an still having to go to my old, essential job every day pretty much cancelled out any amount of money that my then constant overtime would have been making me. It was easily my largest monthly expense, and nothing really came close

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

this is basically the goal of the hunter investigation: creating nonsense to get people and the media to draw precisely this sort of nonsensical false equivalence

The tax records and pee tape both turned out to be duds, so I wouldn't exactly call that a false equivalence. You are correct that the GOP is trying to draw a false equivalence with Trump's actual crimes, but those two in particular seem like a fair comparison.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At what point did the tax record issue in NY "turn out to be a dud"? Is it just that its taking so long that we are now bored with hearing about it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rigel posted:

(I'm just ignoring the fact that your declaration that nothing will happen with the nuclear documents is absurdly premature given that a prosecutor was just appointed yesterday who has experience prosecuting that exact crime)

If I had walked out of the White House with those documents, I would be dead.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the sole interesting thing about the Hunter Biden laptop story is that there was a full-court press to try to hush it up, up to and including online news distributors actively censoring it from being shared. then it turned out it was both 1. real and 2. nothing and the full-court press turned out to be utterly pointless.

the only part of it that has any teeth for Republicans is the bit where it makes democratic partisans say "look there's nothing wrong about a crack-addled failson getting a massive payout from an oil company on grounds he's got an important daddy." which, okay, granted, you bring up Hunter Biden and a bunch of people who consider themselves big fans of the rule of law will trip over themselves to talk about how blatant corruption is cool when it's their guy, but by that point you've already lost the attention of anyone who's not a politics superfan. and among those politics superfans, the best you can get out of it is "look at the other side, being hypocritical." no poo poo, it's politics, in the wake of the biggest police brutality protests in American history Democrats elected the "what if we chemically rendered black children incapable of feeling joy to prevent them from becoming criminals" guy, and his opponent got every evangelical white person in the country to vote for him despite being a 1:1 replica of the debased hedonist New York billionaire they've been selling as the Antichrist since the 80s. among the people who bother paying attention that degree of hypocrisy is table stakes.

it's something that smells bad and gestures in the direction of real, actually existing corruption, while being absolutely nothing in and of itself. you could at least pivot to "hillary is going to sell you out to the people she's being puppeted by" with the Her Emails shot; there isn't any good way to pivot into 'therefore liberals shouldn't vote for Joe Biden' from 'his son is a miserable fuckup whose only jobs are thanks to his daddy.'

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Not trolling, legitimately asking how is what Hillary did with a private server different than what Trump did?

Was she still secretary of state when it happened? Is that the key difference?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zotix posted:

Not trolling, legitimately asking how is what Hillary did with a private server different than what Trump did?

That and she wasn't absconding with nuclear secrets, as far as we know. Plus, she (mostly) followed the security rules of the government.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zotix posted:

the person who Hillary did exactly the same thing as was Colin Powell, who also, as secretary of state, said "gently caress you if I use a personal email for official business I can ignore all security and/or recordkeeping laws, what are you going to do about it"

the answer, as it turned out, was absolutely gently caress-all but whine about it, but man they whined a lot

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zotix posted:

Legal Eagle video on it here.

It's not complete, and of course, it's an opinion from someone who generally disfavors Trump - but it's a decent primer on the subject.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Framboise posted:

The issues surrounding Hunter Biden and his laptop are detailed fully in this exceptional movie, "My Son Hunter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhLEXCMTlpM

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Framboise posted:

The contents aren’t really significant but it was very alarming to see Facebook & Twitter block the sharing of the news story on the basis of it being “disinformation”. You couldn’t even send the link through DM, something which I’ve never seen before or since.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IT BURNS posted:

The issues surrounding Hunter Biden and his laptop are detailed fully in this exceptional movie, "My Son Hunter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhLEXCMTlpM

Oh, this is the movie that Gina Carano blew up her legitimate acting career to make!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zotix posted:

The short version is if you're remotely senior in federal service, in a position that gets FOIA'd, part of your entry training is to set up a parallel private email structure to avoid liabilities that come from improperly disclosing non-FOIA-subject correspondence when you're FOIA'd while still keeping it secured. While there were some shifts in how or whether you should do this, Clinton's setup was fairly typical, with more security than most such people have (a lot of people just use some conventional email setup on remote storage; Clinton had a physically discrete server). Clinton's staff also conducted reviews of the content of the server to identify what stuff (classified or not) would need to go into government archives when she left her position, which is also typical.

Very few of the emails from the server appear to have been violative of security rules; it was correspondence related to the billion things a secretary of state and their staff get up to that aren't part of secured documentation. In particular, virtually all of the documents that were found to be violative were considered secret or classified retroactively; the ones that weren't were missing part of the normal classification formatting. Many of the emails that were retroactively found to be violative were things like sharing a public newspaper article that covered a subject matter that was classified. Finally, a review found no sign that Clinton's staff was ever deliberately using the server to hide or transfer sensitive information.

By contrast, the documentation Trump had at MAL were already marked classified, and included a bunch of stuff that was classified at the highest tier that exists. These were physical documents removed from their original source, and their removal was deliberately obfuscated, with the Trump staff repeately misrepresenting what was removed. Their movement and statements by Trump regarding their contents suggests that some of their contents may have been transferred to others. Every part of this was in pretty dire violation of the normal security practices for the presidency, let alone attempting to keep it all afterward.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 19, 2022