Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kw0134 posted:

Legit question: what is a CEO supposed to do with this info? Okay here are our various processes. Is that supposed to guide some strategic decision? Does knowledge of the existence of Manhattan change things? From the corner office what are the actual practical uses of this diagram, even were it complete? Just to say he "knows" how the sausage is made?
At best it would be left to the CTO to understand this but Elon's short a couple C-Suite right now.

But yes at the very least a CTO would be given some kind of overview like this. Someone with some curiosity... say someone who had just purchased the company for a lot of money, would probably probe further in. But it should't take a huge team like that to show him this. A Product Manager could just give him this overview over lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Isn't the software in Teslas also cobbled together craziness? Just like a Frankenstein's monster of patches and quick fixes? Did I read that somewhere?

Edit: Not a programmer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, learning that twitter largely runs off proprietary stuff, optimized for their specific needs, tells me that no-one who gets parachuted in is going to be able to fix anything.
It's going to be a loving nightmare.
I'd feel bad for them, except for the fact that they mostly volunteered for it.
(People trapped by their visa status are obviously exempt)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

I really don't expect it to, but god drat I want it to. I really loving do. Just, once have some follow-through universe. Don't let some scrambling dickheads at the bottom save the incompetent Captain. I've seen it so, so many times.

Same, but tbh Twitter is not some magical tech impossible to replicate, and their systems seem pretty resilient considering 90% of workers already left. Like, yeah, it might be slower at times, but it looks to be working fine. Better than in the whale days.

Not bad for a company with no loving payroll dept. props to infrastructure engis

And sure, yeah, someone mentioned it’s a pretty complex system, but it’s not even slow today. Maybe some vids take a little longer to load. The fired Twit-gineers were predicting boxes on fire by now.

Twitter is/was valuable because of the celeb users, and ease of posting without too much racism and prejudice. If that goes, then yes Twitter is dead. So far only a couple celebs seem to even know what’s happening.

However… the racism and antivaxxers are out in force, and I’ve stopped posting and won’t go back, but I’m looking at the train crash with mixed feelings. I love watching Elon fumble.

And… Hey, even tumblr came back! (tumblr is great now imo)

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Knormal posted:

I'm sure various hackers around the world appreciate the diagram of Twitter's internal network layout, however high-level it may be.

Also oof at the three(?) women in the code review room being literally pushed to the absolute back of the crowd.

Elon Musk
To: TwitterEngineers

All,

Everyone needs to come up to to the conference room at 6 today and take a picture of me solving engineering problems to post to Twitter.

Regards,

Elon
Chief Twit

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

learnincurve posted:

lots of people on visas, including the obvious Brit, and not a single black person in the room

Me, in my head a few seconds ago

"Wait, which one is the 'obvious Brit'? I mean Asian, Asian, Chilean... I'm scanning here and I'm not seeing him. What person he talking ab- ohhhh..."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Toxic Mental posted:

Do you think the results are unbiased, or beyond that, even matter at all to Elon? If people voted overwhelmingly "no" he'd unban him even faster because he's an edgelord manchild.

Yea, but that’s the outcome with more drama. I want that. It’s boring as hell if the bots win with “yes”

Kale
May 14, 2010

PederP posted:

I'd caution those eagerly awaiting a spectacular technical collapse to temper expectations. Engineers and developers can keep a sinking ship platform afloat and mostly functional for a very long time. It might be unstable, buggy, non-secure, non-profitable and even quite publicly on fire - but still it can keep chugging along relatively functional. So while a mass departure of staff will certainly be crippling and cause numerous very severe problems - my experience with complex software systems and the organizations working on them - is that a true collapse is not likely to happen.

Do I think Twitter is going to be a good platform from now on? Absolutely not. But neither do I think there is much chance of the lights going out permanently. There will be bugs and downtime. There will be serious problems and much anger from users and stakeholders. But I think it will survive and eventually stabilize as a profitable and stable platform. I don't think Elon will recoup the full 44 billion - on the contrary, I think he will burn more to keep it afloat (indirectly, but still). I also think there will be new owners before the eventual true rebirth and stabilization. I'm sure it will stay big in Japan.

So many media businesses would crash in Japan in a matter of weeks or months probably if it went down its so pivotal to stealth marketing and what not. Like its absolutely pivotal to maintaining it all the way its setup nowadays to rely on trending associations and what not to make sure people know what to buy and poo poo. Consumer's there put a tremendous amount of weight on things that trend there from what I've been able to tell when it comes to media to purchase

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone mentioned Germany and working on a Sunday but that's nothing in comparison to Italy

https://www.ilo.org/ifpdial/information-resources/national-labour-law-profiles/WCMS_158903/lang--en/index.htm

Just them trying to summarise it would make American lawyers sweat

Sect. 36 - on fair pay, the maximum working hours, the weekly and annual paid vacation (see number 5, 6 and 11); Sect. 37 - on the protection of women and of minors on the job (see number 7 and 9); Sect. 38 - on the social insurance for old age, illness, invalidity, industrial diseases and accidents, etc.; Sect. 39 - on Freedom of Association (see number 12); Sect. 40 - on the right to strike (see number 15)

also

quote:

Act 196/1997 requires a specific authorisation by the Department of Labour (Inspectorate) for work exceeding 48 hours a week (in practice: more than 8 hours overtime).

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Twitter is/was valuable because of the celeb users, and ease of posting without too much racism and prejudice. If that goes, then yes Twitter is dead. So far only a couple celebs seem to even know what’s happening.

So my cynical side says that if you could use racism to sell ads, you could make alot of money. like how youtube went from ads to super chats after the whole having chlorox ads after beheading videos.

But already ads cant support twitter, and auto ads companies pulled their ads because why help a buisness owned by a competitor.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Edwardly posted:

An outage will happen, the 40 engineers left there won't be able to fix it.

Twitter will be down for a month.

Elon will have the team set up a page on Twitter's 503 message where it's just him tweeting and no one else saying stupid BS

Twitter 2.0 will be launched using mastodon & immediately crash again.

Yup because Mastadon is a Rails app, which is what Twitter migrated off of to stop fail whaling. The server I’m on scaled from 200 to 9,500 users in 2.5 weeks and it was a poo poo show while the admins learned how to scale Rails.

Riven fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 19, 2022

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

And sure, yeah, someone mentioned it’s a pretty complex system, but it’s not even slow today. Maybe some vids take a little longer to load. The fired Twit-gineers were predicting boxes on fire by now.

No matter how well you architect something, and how good you are at understanding the full problem domain, you still really can’t predict what happens when the maintenance stops.

That’s why this sort of development is so hard and why you have a dedicated team on standby in case the site goes down. Anything could happen. Nobody knows! The problem is the people who would have been able to figure out what’s going on (the guy who can triage the problem in an hour since he’s been at this for 8-12 years) are all gone. And so are the people who would have called that guy because they could figure out what area the failure was even in.

It’s safe to predict the dominos have started to tip. But nobody really knows for sure. It’s a bit like just letting a car go without any gas. How far will it putter on? Probably not far, but I’m impressed we got this far.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Yup --

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1593794109071937540

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I lived in Germany for a couple of months for work and it was astounding how the entire country shuts down on Sunday. Like even grocery stores.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Looks bad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not really sure what she thinks she's accomplishing here

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mind the walrus posted:

Not really sure what she thinks she's accomplishing here

IMo baiting him to say stupid poo poo for evidence for the inevitable investigation against twitter.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Same, but tbh Twitter is not some magical tech impossible to replicate, and their systems seem pretty resilient considering 90% of workers already left. Like, yeah, it might be slower at times, but it looks to be working fine. Better than in the whale days.

Not bad for a company with no loving payroll dept. props to infrastructure engis

However… the racism and antivaxxers are out in force, and I’ve stopped posting and won’t go back, but I’m looking at the train crash with mixed feelings. I love watching Elon fumble.

And… Hey, even tumblr came back! (tumblr is great now imo)
Properly dimentioned hardware+software can run for a not-inconsiderable amount of time without imploding, but it seems unlikely that it'll stay that way.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I lived in Germany for a couple of months for work and it was astounding how the entire country shuts down on Sunday. Like even grocery stores.
Same thing happens in Denmark, and usually Saturday is a much more quiet day unless there's an event like sports/concerts/carnival/pride going on.

I can vaguely remember being quite astonished that there are parts of the world where this isn't the case, and it still baffles me how people function without a good work/life balance.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

IMo baiting him to say stupid poo poo for evidence for the inevitable investigation against twitter.
Gonna have to be juicier than that to get Elmo to bite. He has proven himself a very simple man.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Women like AOC irk Leon Skum something fierce; he can't control them.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Plan R posted:

Women like AOC irk Leon Skum something fierce; he can't impregnate them.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I for one think it is good when elected officials call out billionaire fraudsters on public forums

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It’s obvious that many Elon fans are elated that all these people are losing their jobs because they were so outraged at the idea of employees genuinely enjoying their employment, taking pride in the work or caring about their co-workers. The replies under any post an ex-employee makes is rapidly filled up by guys explaining how work should only be misery and wanting to be paid for your labor is wanting handouts and talking about how much you valued your co-workers is weak baby poo poo.

I think part of this is more due to the fact that a lot of these people work lovely jobs themselves. I used to dig ditches in Seattle for $20 an hour, one project being for the multi million dollar house of a Microsoft exec. You bet your rear end I resented him. There's no pride to take in that work. It just sucks all the way down. And at the end of the day after I've barely made enough to feed myself I go home and I'm exhausted so I drink, sleep, and get up to do it all again.

For people who's livelihoods don't allow them to work for 4 hours remotely and make 90k a year, I can understand the kind of catharsis they would feel from watching this very privileged part of society get a bit of a ride awakening.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

it's about as much of a callout as it is to call Charles Manson a boxcar and a jug of wine, man

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

and it still baffles me how people function without a good work/life balance.

conditioning, propaganda, utter lack of labor protection. the usual.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

it still baffles me how people function without a good work/life balance.
They don't have a loving choice in the matter

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I used to work in european software localisation and it's absolutely a thing that nothing is going to get done in August because most of Europe is on holiday then.
Like, literally every email sent is going to get an out-of-office reply.

It is awesome.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pookah posted:

I used to work in european software localisation and it's absolutely a thing that nothing is going to get done in August because most of Europe is on holiday then.

It is awesome.

Every consulting project I do with an EU client that starts in June/July, during the first meeting I basically say "okay so what can we get done by 7/31 that i can work on to have ready for you 9/1".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Buce posted:

conditioning, propaganda, utter lack of labor protection. the usual.
Surely there's more to it than that?

Bottom Liner posted:

Well that loving sucks.

Pookah posted:

It is awesome.
At least half July as well, at least here in Denmark.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Bottom Liner posted:

They absolutely do, they just choose not to exercise it.

There aren't benevolent European billionaires deciding that everyone gets Sunday off for the lolz.

Grow some national genitals and stand up for yourselves.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Nitrousoxide posted:

My (short adult) daughter works for aldi in the UK and people are not joking when they say they are a good employer, you have a combination of UK labour laws and German work culture which results in stuff like time and a half for any non-standard working hours. They ignore the minimum wage laws to pay people more as well - so far she has had two random cost of living increases. They also gave her a god drat 30 hours per week contract, which in retail is absolute loving gold. She gets 6 weeks paid weeks off a year and if she gets sick then she'll get the full 30 hours as well.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kingo Ligma posted:

There aren't benevolent European billionaires deciding that everyone gets Sunday off for the lolz.

I think the OP when they say "they" is referring more to something like people who simply have to work that much at their job(s) because it's the only way to support themselves and their family, not single twitter engineers or whatever.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Blowback Podcast

zero irony

Start with North Korea

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mnoba posted:

can't wait for trump to be unbanned, what do you think his first tweet will be?

DEATH TO AMERICA!

(Of course he his scriptwriters will word it somewhat more subtly.)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Toxic Mental posted:

I think the OP when they say "they" is referring more to something like people who simply have to work that much at their job(s) because it's the only way to support themselves and their family, not single twitter engineers or whatever.

Lmao, I'm referring to the entire American workforce. Drag the oppressors into the streets like everybody else does. The rest of us know you're capable of it, it's just that you direct that energy at stupid poo poo like Jan 6 while jerking off about how tough you are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kingo Ligma posted:

Spoken as someone that has no idea what a life of poverty in America is like. It's systemic oppression and you're literally using Kanye's "black people chose to be slaves" argument.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao, I'm referring to the entire American workforce. Drag the oppressors into the streets like everybody else does. The rest of us know you're capable of it, it's just that you direct that energy at stupid poo poo like Jan 6 while jerking off about how tough you are.

The Jan 6 rioters were overwhelmingly wealthy middle class fucks.

Like yeah, it would be great if general strikes and class unity were to materialize out of thin air but you're completely ignoring all the systems and power structures built over literal centuries to quell that very thing.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 19, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Surely there's more to it than that?

Well that loving sucks.

At least half July as well, at least here in Denmark.

I am so glad this is true :)

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Just as a parting shot --

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1593794451817873408

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kingo Ligma posted:

Yeah I get the spirit of what you're talking about but at the same time, huge upheaval of stuff generally has a disproportionate effect on the poorest and most marginalized. It'd be nice if we could just get the tax code fixed, that's like 65% of the issue right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tippecanoe posted:

I have my suspicions that the leering old dude with the fake hair is not from around here either

yeah i'm pretty sure he's south african but I think he's already got a US citizenship