Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

We did once. Well, Raubahn did.
yeah, i think about it every day since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

No one in Eorzea would arrest the Warrior of Light for slicing Lolorito in half and he knows it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, I've hosed around with the other base classes to figure out what to play until I reach a point where I feel comfortable jumping back into my Dragoon, but I can't quite decide. So, tell me why I should play Marauder/Pugilist/Rogue?
Edit: And Gladiator, I guess.

well, what are you looking for in a class?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

a cartoon duck posted:

well, what are you looking for in a class?

"haha yeeeeah hahahah"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Black Griffon posted:

"haha yeeeeah hahahah"

black mage

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Black Griffon posted:

"haha yeeeeah hahahah"

Monk is about spinning around the enemy weaving in and out of three smaller combos to form one long one and then getting to hit your biggest three buttons in a row for a bigger finisher and the third finisher is a double finisher and you get the shortest gcd in the game so you're never ever not hitting something in the face

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Truga posted:

black mage

I can't quite get the feel for magic rn but black mage is definitely top of the list when I get to it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Monk is about spinning around the enemy weaving in and out of three smaller combos to form one long one and then getting to hit your biggest three buttons in a row for a bigger finisher and the third finisher is a double finisher and you get the shortest gcd in the game so you're never ever not hitting something in the face

I feel I'm perfectly balanced between pugilist and marauder rn. Marauder might win out because of fashion, but I'm on my way to getting it to 30 and then I'll dip back into pugilist to make a final decision.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
*pushes Devilment, Technical Step*

*licks lips*

*runs towards the pack*

*jingle, sparkle, chime*

*the tank has 8 monsters together in a pile, my face has become over 50% rictus grin*

*SPARKLE, DASH IN*

*press the button and a billion numbers overwhelm my screen*

Dancer Good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doomykins posted:

*pushes Devilment, Technical Step*

*licks lips*

*runs towards the pack*

*jingle, sparkle, chime*

*the tank has 8 monsters together in a pile, my face has become over 50% rictus grin*

*SPARKLE, DASH IN*

*press the button and a billion numbers overwhelm my screen*

Dancer Good.

The worst thing about Dancer is that dungeon runs frequently go so fast that if you wait for the second pack before hitting Technical Step, it won't be back by the time you get to the next boss and now your opener is all weird.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Black Griffon posted:

I can't quite get the feel for magic rn but black mage is definitely top of the list when I get to it.

I feel I'm perfectly balanced between pugilist and marauder rn. Marauder might win out because of fashion, but I'm on my way to getting it to 30 and then I'll dip back into pugilist to make a final decision.

Do both! The main story vomits EXP at you, easily enough to level two classes at once.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah there's no point in not leveling at least two classes through MSQ given the XP gains, especially since DPS is faster for most questing stuff (since the stuff you have to kill is by design not too damaging to be threatening to DPS but not too tanky to be killed in a reasonable time by tanks), and healers/tanks get much better queue times. make one of the classes arcanist and you can level all three roles easily via msq.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah that's very reasonable. I focused hard on my dragoon during my first stint of the game three years ago (where I got about halfway between the end of ARR and the beginning of HW, as mentioned earlier), so I'm still in the frame of mind that I'm gonna focus on one job besides crafting and gathering.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

"haha yeeeeah hahahah"

if you own the full game 100% red mage or samurai

both have really satisfying stretches of their rotation where you endlessly blow up poo poo for massive damage with flashy moves + are dead easy to play

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There needs to be a way to preview classes, it's impossible to get a good feel for them with how much some of them change as you level.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

One thing to pay attention to:

"Shop Selling Price" is how much it costs to buy that item from an NPC vendor. If that's gently caress all, just get rid of the item you can buy it again if you need it.

If you're not on the free trial, you can sell things on the marketboard. If you can sell something for a decent price, do so. If you can't, toss it because if you need it later you can buy it cheap.

As a general rule of thumb I've been trying to embrace 'how easy would it be to get this again?' Any mat that I can just pick up or stuff that's sold at vendors for reasonable prices, that can go.

(Sadly I am in the midst of HW crafting so every material I need spawns in the Western Highlands only at 4 AM etc.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chillgamesh posted:

if you own the full game 100% red mage or samurai

both have really satisfying stretches of their rotation where you endlessly blow up poo poo for massive damage with flashy moves + are dead easy to play
counterpoint: rdm gets to that stretch maybe at 60 and definitely at 70, it's real rough below that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Sadly I am in the midst of HW crafting so every material I need spawns in the Western Highlands only at 4 AM etc.)
that's ok other people spam retainer ventures so just buy that poo poo

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

There needs to be a way to preview classes, it's impossible to get a good feel for them with how much some of them change as you level.
It is not ideal, but you can access POTD at level 17 to (sort of) try how job plays at level 60.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
how fast can potd get you from 50 to 60 if you're not a tank or a healer?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
exactly as fast as if you're a tank and healer :v:

it's not slow, but it feels slow because of how boring it is, imo

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

25+ seems like a real slump when I'm already done with ARR. What's the most effective way to get to 50 from there?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

25+ seems like a real slump when I'm already done with ARR. What's the most effective way to get to 50 from there?

Leveling and Frontline roulette (it's a LOT of xp), then spamming the highest dungeon you can do.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Black Griffon posted:

leveling roulette. maybe use food buffs for that extra 3% lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rous are ridiculously effective leveling over a long period of time post-50 if you hit them consistently. Normal Raids/Trials/FL isn't the most xp but it's my fast set, adding in Leveling Dungeons and 50-80 Dungeons significantly boosts the xp gained per day and if you want to trade a bit more time for a lot more level then MSQ and Alliance Raids are like half a level each.

PVP is super fun if you enjoy the concept whether in FL or CC(two very different beasts) because all you do is hit 30 and bam, full pvp kit. They're not tied to your actual regular kit too much but you get levels and two types of glam farming points.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The other nice thing about frontlines roulette is you get experience on what you queue as but can change jobs once you are inside. So if you need astrologian experience but hate playing ast in pvp, you can queue as an ast and then switch to something you like once inside.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Caveat is that you have to have unlocked the Job crystal to be able to queue for PvP, so you still have to get to 30 other ways

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hunt logs will get you to 30 pretty fast, in my experience.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Grind through GC leves for the bracelet if you're a sicko like me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thanks for the leveling recs!

Grind through GC leves for the bracelet if you're a sicko like me.

Does it do anything?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Does it do anything?

+2 spiritbond gain and it also isn't visible on most gear sets.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If you don't care about going fast, you can grind dungeons through Duty Support. It's slow, but I've done it before when I had nothing better to do while listening to some podcasts.

There's some gaps with the levels though, since ARR has a fair few optional dungeons

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I really should get around to finishing my hunt logs after all these years, just so that I can bind H to something else and not have a screen pop up in battle when I try to hit whatever I've bound to G.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They also give you rings based on the Jobs Classes! They're not particularly noteworthy, but they may be of interest.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 20, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Onean posted:

They also give you rings based on the Jobs Classes! They're not particularly noteworthy, but they may be of interest.

I have many of the rings, but my ring glams are taken up with meteor survivor and my GC ring.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh gently caress I just realized belts don't exist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we used to have a belt slot! it was taken from us.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah I've got illicit belts, I've got the artifacts the world forgot. This is what they have taken from us.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I've got illicit belts, I've got the artifacts the world forgot. This is what they have taken from us.

Remember us. Remember that we once held up pants.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The belt slots were turned into ring slots, also known as the belts of the fingers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

every item is a belt if you think about it