Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I guess to evolve Primeape you have to get it so angry it literally loving dies?

I renamed mine to Twitter as soon as that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I think they mean the Sugimori art

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I think they mean the Sugimori art

It's true. I've always liked pokemon designs better as 2d paintings than 3d models.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Protip: when you're in the Pokédex menu with all the books, press X.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Larry buddy you need to play the games you were doing this in the sonic thread too :v:

Though my own question I need to ask, gonna play with friends tonight and well, How does multiplayer work? Will we need to be at the same pokecenter stop thing? If one of us starts a raid will the other players get a pop up to join no matter where they are or what? I know that you're not locked out of story/doing whatever but I'm not sure how 'friendly' it is in terms of me just letting friends into my game and then that's about the extent of things.

The multiplayer is actually super great, weirdly. The only jank is that if someone disconnects or you want another person to join in you gotta remake the entire thing.

Once everyone is in the world though you can quite literally do whatever you want. I played all night last night with some buds and we were all just wandering around doing our own thing. One person was in a Team Star base, another was doing a gym, and I was wandering off way up north just exploring the world all at the same time with no hitches or problems.

Each person has their own raid dens on the map (you can tell which ones are yours because they will have the proper map icon) and if you initiate one it sends a notification to everyone else in the world to join in. Even if they miss it they can just go into the tera raid menu and it will only show the postings of your squad. Same deal with trading you can just throw up an open link trade with no passcode and it is only transmitting to the people in the world with you so it's quick and easy to do some trades.

Like no joke for all the jank of the game the multiplayer is astonishingly fluid and good.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pretty sure I had a toy as a kid that did exactly this.

It has taken me multiple hours to reach the treasure hunt. But I finally made it. My only regret is the Pachirisu that ran up a tree when I started a battle with a trainer, and me not knowing how to catch it up there. I still haven't seen another one. My completion. My 1% spawn probably. :negative: And so on.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Shinies make the sparkle and sound when you start a battle with them, not when you spawn them in like in PLA.
Source: "is that the lighting or is that a blue Shuppet staring at me?"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what the plans for DLC are this time around

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

Oops it’s isle of armor again

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hrist posted:

My 1% spawn probably. :negative: And so on.

Spawns are a lot easier to game out now that you can eat food that makes certain types appear

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Carlosologist posted:

If I can get Clefable, I'll be satisfied.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's still generally quite a bit easier to find shinies in this game compared to earlier (normal)pokemon games just because you're seeing so many of them without actually needing to battle them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When did SwSh or Arceus get their first patches, not counting the launch day patch? I hear mostly good things but also a lot of things that say to wait until some of it is fixed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm playing Scarlet and can't seem to beat the second gym leader (the water one) yet. I have a grass type Pokemon in my party (Capsakid) but it's a lower level than the gym leader's party. Is there like somewhere I can go to grind its level? Trainer battles seem few and far between in this game.

I was gonna ask if there was somewhere I could go to catch a higher-level grass type, but if I caught one it probably wouldn't obey me. I've caught a couple level 30 Pokemon and they haven't obeyed me when I've had them in my party because I haven't gotten the gym badge to allow that yet.

I started with Fuecoco btw, which is currently a level 34 Crocalor but is kinda useless against the water gym leader.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scholtz posted:

Spawns are a lot easier to game out now that you can eat food that makes certain types appear

Oh, right. I read something about that when I was looking at the new shiny manip stuff. I'll probably unintentionally run into another one somewhere before needing that. But that'll be nice when I eventually get down to the last few things in the dex. Dhelmise took me forever to get to show up in Sword.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rageaholic posted:

So I'm playing Scarlet and can't seem to beat the second gym leader (the water one) yet. I have a grass type Pokemon in my party (Capsakid) but it's a lower level than the gym leader's party. Is there like somewhere I can go to grind its level? Trainer battles seem few and far between in this game.

I was gonna ask if there was somewhere I could go to catch a higher-level grass type, but if I caught one it probably wouldn't obey me. I've caught a couple level 30 Pokemon and they haven't obeyed me when I've had them in my party because I haven't gotten the gym badge to allow that yet.

I started with Fuecoco btw, which is currently a level 34 Crocalor but is kinda useless against the water gym leader.

You're probably not "meant" to do that gym yet. The lowest level gyms are Bug and then Grass

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rageaholic posted:

You may wanna head back to the school and go the other way, that gym’s roughly the 4th one you’re meant to tackle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mfcrocker posted:

You're probably not "meant" to do that gym yet. The lowest level gyms are Bug and then Grass
Oh poo poo, I beat the bug gym but didn't know I was supposed to go to grass. This game isn't great about telling you where to go next!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rageaholic posted:

Oh poo poo, I beat the bug gym but didn't know I was supposed to go to grass. This game isn't great about telling you where to go next!

It's really up to you, if you want to do stuff massively out of order the game aint gonna stop you.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

When did SwSh or Arceus get their first patches, not counting the launch day patch? I hear mostly good things but also a lot of things that say to wait until some of it is fixed.

Sword and Shield were released November 15 and had their first patch January 9. Legends was released January 28 and had its first patch February 9.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently talking to people at a PokeCenter will give you a hint as to what gym to take on next (though some towns are blocked off by abilities you need to beat Titans in order to get)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

You can literally ask the pokecenter about where to go next, they'll even mark it on the map for you. I did the bug gym, then they recommended I do the flying titan and then the dark star base.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The pokecenters just recommend what's nearby, has nothing to do with level

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BTW who the hell answers the phone when their secret boss calls them and they're hanging out with two bossy, nosy people, then puts them all on speakerphone??

I do birches :c00l:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

Shinies make the sparkle and sound when you start a battle with them, not when you spawn them in like in PLA.
Source: "is that the lighting or is that a blue Shuppet staring at me?"

Hey Aux, finally ready for tradings now! Out of curiosity is it going to be an egg or a kitty?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If I'm looking at it right, the grass gym is completely on the other side of the map from where I was :confused: I was just exploring the area I was in and ended up at the water gym so that's why I assumed I was supposed to beat that one next. Why would they put the actual next one I was supposed to beat all the way in a different direction from where I was going?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rageaholic posted:

If I'm looking at it right, the grass gym is completely on the other side of the map from where I was :confused: I was just exploring the area I was in and ended up at the water gym so that's why I assumed I was supposed to beat that one next. Why would they put the actual next one I was supposed to beat all the way in a different direction from where I was going?

Because the friends from the tutorial say "Start just east of this city." and "No start just west of this city!" so clearly they both relatively low level/good starting zones and they expect you to have read those things and remembered them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Something I didn't realise because I was catching loads of pokemon but ignoring the pokedex - go in there and press x and you get a load of items for adding mons to the dex

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PLaying a bit of showdown and boy this meta is going to be loving weird.

And that poison rock flower pokemon is goign to be a loving nightmare god I hate its ability so much.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because the friends from the tutorial say "Start just east of this city." and "No start just west of this city!" so clearly they both relatively low level/good starting zones and they expect you to have read those things and remembered them.
tbh I think the more significant thing than that is how it's an open world game where you are expected to explore, if you want to power through harder content earlier you can but for most players it wants them to feel things out and leave if it's too difficult

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PLaying a bit of showdown and boy this meta is going to be loving weird.

And that poison rock flower pokemon is goign to be a loving nightmare god I hate its ability so much.

Its design is sick though, so I welcome it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

tbh I think the more significant thing than that is how it's an open world game where you are expected to explore, if you want to power through harder content earlier you can but for most players it wants them to feel things out and leave if it's too difficult

I mean they were asking about how the game gives you any hints about that and they...do. and you can manually get more hints at any poke center with a option that appears in the menu you have to see to heal your pokes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Now I'm on my way to the actual gym I was supposed to go to and I'm battling trainers along the way and crushing them because I'm overleveled.

I miss the linear-ish path of the older games. I'm not into open world Pokemon I guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I mean they were asking about how the game gives you any hints about that and they...do. and you can manually get more hints at any poke center with a option that appears in the menu you have to see to heal your pokes.
right, I just mean I think the answer to "why would the next area be in the other direction" from a design perspective is "they want you to explore and not go in a linear path"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Flopsy posted:

Hey Aux, finally ready for tradings now! Out of curiosity is it going to be an egg or a kitty?

Temp trade room (online mode): 25253636

It's an egg currently!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The game really does a good job of evoking that childhood feeling of wonderment when you explore. I saw a little cave like area in the zone just after the Bug gym and decided to follow that and boom, found a Charcadet

The game would truly be at that next level if there was scaling for the areas as you go through challenges. You should be able to go after the gyms in whatever order you want if that’s what you want to do.

Dynamic music also includes different tunes when riding on the dragon and walking

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The game tries to make a big deal about "you can do these objectives in any order you want!" and that's kind of true, but there's no level scaling, so if you don't do things in the "intended" order you're gonna end up overleveling a lot of major battles.

From the promotional material talking about how you can do the challenges in any order you want, I think everyone just assumed there would be some kind of level scaling , at least for major battles, but nope. That seems like kind of a no-brainer for the design philosophy they wanted to go with, I don't get why they aren't doing it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys ever use rare candies

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I used to give my guys 1x rare candy for hitting lvl 99 but now there's no rush to 100 for hyper training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Like anyone keeps a rotating stable of "type-advantage against the next gym" mons, as opposed to feeding everything wood-chipper style to their starter and just OHKO-ing their way through life, as Arceus intended.

Also I love Steve (my Fuecoco)'s chunky little growl he does when he comes out to snap necks and cash checks.