Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pink flag
May 16, 2009
I hope the industry's obsession with making every AAA game open world dies soon. Just like Sw/Sh, the open world in this game is bland, tedious, and ugly. Hidden items and TMs being scattered randomly across fields that you just drive over and aimlessly collect is certainly a design decision that you can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Any recent games that play well on handheld? Gonna be traveling a decent amount over the couple of months.

I was thinking Tunic or Live a Live but you never know what actually runs well.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason Scarlet took way longer to boot up when I played it this morning. And I swear the graphics look waaay more jagged and bad compared to last night. They look worse than Sword now. I don't know what happened. But I'm hoping it's just another bug and I didn't just hallucinate it looking decent before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

live a live runs pretty well on handheld in portable mode.

if you want a big jrpg xenoblade 3 runs pretty well in handheld mode, there's some draw distance issues but it keeps a pretty steady fps in my experience. triangle strategy had some occasional slowdown when big spells went off but nothing major. those two'd be my recommendations of stuff ive played recently

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
live a live owns but it's not very long for a jrpg, might not last as long as you need it to depending

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'd expect tactics ogre to be perfect for the switch. When I played it through on vita (10 years ago), it took a really long time to complete

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Oh gently caress I got drunk and ordered Persona 5 because it was only $30.

I still have SMTV, Pikmin 3, Harvestella, Bayo 3, Rouge Legacy 2 and god knows how many little indie games to get through.
Daddy loves a deal, I guess.

The only saving grace is that even though I buy tons of games, I almost never pay full price and end up selling them for 50%+ of their value.

STILL

Where'd ya find a $30 Persona 5?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
P5R is on sale at Best Buy for 50% off

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Palmtree Panic posted:

P5R is on sale at Best Buy for 50% off

Nice thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Cash Monet posted:

Any recent games that play well on handheld? Gonna be traveling a decent amount over the couple of months.

Radiant Silvergun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

I’ve been playing persona 5 entirely I. Handheld and it runs really well to me. I played the original on ps4 and can barely tell the difference honestly. Runs much better than SMT5

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GameXplain/stat...s1_c10&ref_url=

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cash Monet posted:

It's not so so recent but you can't beat Triangle Strategy. It's a fantastic game on handheld and really needs several playthroughs to go through.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's not so so recent but you can't beat Triangle Strategy. It's a fantastic game on handheld and really needs several playthroughs to go through.

Yeah, even if you were to do the hidden “best” ending on the first run, which is actually kinda hard at the end even on easy, there are a handful of fights you’ve missed and characters too, plus a whole shitload of plot.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Needing Gym Badges to make the pokemon you caught yourself obey you feels kind of out of place in a game where the whole point is to explore and do whatever you want.

e: It'd be one thing if the titan pokemon and team star stuff also increased this limit but no it's only gym badges?

Pokemon only respect the badges

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'd expect tactics ogre to be perfect for the switch. When I played it through on vita (10 years ago), it took a really long time to complete

tactics ogre is definitely a marathon game

which isn't really great because most of the fights are kind of generic filler

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/KOPURISTA/status/1594004441593958401?s=20&t=8AzYUVCIFsFEstfh5pl6BQ

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Gamerofthegame posted:

tactics ogre is definitely a marathon game

which isn't really great because most of the fights are kind of generic filler

I can’t remember if it was in the PSP version, but the AI settings for Reborn have been a lifesaver for this. I usually set the AI to run through obviously filler fights or fights with no special conditions to satisfy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lmao I was fighting a Trainer and the lighting literally switched from nighttime to daytime whenever I opened the Battle menu, then back to nighttime when I closed it. This is the jank I'm here for

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
has anyone said nintendo bitch yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Only when someone asks me who this thread is for

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That was most likely considered comedy gold in the original incarnation of the Switch thread, yes

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

This just makes me want to buy it now. So glad they managed to pull off their love letter to Deadly Premonition 2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was able to show reproduceable slowdowns if I just moved to the right side of my room in the new pokemon. Every single time.

I also was able to clip the camera by interacting with an object (which zooms in the camera) and then the camera could clip through walls.

This was within the first minute.

I also noticed the fps drops and slow load times over the pop in.

I feel like you shouldn't be able to sequence break but I got physically to the school before the quest to meet the NPC at the lighthouse. But you can anyway because you can single target a far away Pokémon and teleport to the nearest land mass, which also means potentially the whole map is unlocked to you from the first time you get a pokemon.

That almost redeems the lovely inconsistent frame rate and texture work.

The UI is better (though it apes mid 2000s Apple conventions; loading icon is the apple beachball, the pokedex is the Apple Books shelf UI design, etc) and the animations are slightly better.

Story is absolutely dumb though, worse than shield imo. Pokemon designs so far are insipid and lazy, recolors and maybe an extra body part isn't interesting content. The box art snake dude is cool, his textures are hands down ten times more detailed than the hounddoom that shows up, or other Pokémon.

*nods towards pokeball every time you swap one out* :patriot:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Pokemon only respect the badges

Pokemon of a region intrinsically know what badges are more worthy.

Which came first, the pokemon or the badges?

loving lmao

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 20, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Story is absolutely dumb though, worse than shield imo.

Huh? Are we playing the same game? This is the first mainline Pokémon game with an interesting story since Ruby/Sapphire.

quote:

Pokemon of a region intrinsically know what badges are more worthy.

They don't, actually, it's based on the number of badges. I tried skipping ahead from the 2nd gym to the 7th to make my wild-caught level 50s to obey me, but that didn't work.

Speedruns of this game are going to be so broken in a couple months.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Other Player models do weird stuff if playing co-op on a lovely connection

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think there's something in the avatar animators that isn't toggling masking right in Pokemon S/V. It's potentially even just ONE setting that's meant to control animations blending between regular walk/idle animations and the "I am doing a pose/animation" stuff (eg; riding your pokemon or posing for a photo), and it's just not locking/releasing the animation masking like it's supposed to.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

Other Player models do weird stuff if playing co-op on a lovely connection

So most Pokemon / Nintendo connections then.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i bought the atari 50 collection and drat this package rules as someone who loves watching and reading about gaming history.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay sure the games are jank BUT the Switch in your room changes based on what joycons you have connected.

Mine had the white ones while my partner has the animal crossing joycons.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

Okay sure the games are jank BUT the Switch in your room changes based on what joycons you have connected.

Mine had the white ones while my partner has the animal crossing joycons.

Oh that explains why mine were purple and green! Why does Nintendo keep track of the colour of the joycons, it's such a weird thing to program into the hardware

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Oh that explains why mine were purple and green! Why does Nintendo keep track of the colour of the joycons, it's such a weird thing to program into the hardware

I wonder if there's some sort of sensor in the joycon there that checks the colour you have, and then tags it with that?

I've never changed a joycon skin, though, so anyone who has, feel free to chime in and debunk this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m pretty sure you can connect Joycons to your PC and use a program to change what color the Joycon thinks it is. I imagine there’s a tiny bit of storage in there, maybe similar to how Amiibo store data.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I'd imagine it's just a byte or so of data that the joycons send to the Switch which tells the Switch what color the joycons are. You could swap the shells and the joycons would still tell the Switch they were the same color unless you also changed that data.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mega64 posted:

I’m pretty sure you can connect Joycons to your PC and use a program to change what color the Joycon thinks it is. I imagine there’s a tiny bit of storage in there, maybe similar to how Amiibo store data.

Here's the program: https://github.com/CTCaer/jc_toolkit/releases/tag/5.2.0
It can also change the colors displayed on a pro controller, but there was a firmware update a couple years after the last release that makes it a little more complicated.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Story is absolutely dumb though, worse than shield imo.

yeah nah, hard disagree here; SwSh's story was pretty lame, at least this story is a bit interesting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

yeah nah, hard disagree here; SwSh's story was pretty lame, at least this story is a bit interesting

"Hey, ignore the cool and interesting stuff happening and get onnwith your journey to the next Gym while other characters do the cool and interesting stuff offscreen" is a real low bar to clear, let's be honest.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/yap_miliy/statu...s1_c10&ref_url=

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Iewd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if there's some sort of sensor in the joycon there that checks the colour you have, and then tags it with that?

maybe there is a man inside the joycon