Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It’s a bit of a stretch, but look at Boris Johnson. Long string of disastrous Tory politics actively self-sabotaging the country and a dedication to shooting themselves in the foot got people grumbling but not enough to give him the boot. The boot came after a relatively minor scandal of lying about a party.

American conservative media coverage of Hunter Biden really focuses on the drugs and sex and partying. There is a vague legal angle of implied quid pro quo but the sensational red meat is the vice. Whatever logical narrative around the laptop you hear doesn’t make sense because the actual argument pushed is an emotional one. This jackass is over the top hedonistic while you are suffering to just live a humble life. As a Drug Use(bad!) and Prostitute Fucker(worse!) and son of the rival of our political messiah(unforgivable!) he does not deserve to live a life so comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, this is the movie that Gina Carano blew up her legitimate acting career to make!

No she blew up her acting career by letting the mask slip and revealing she was an ultra chud. Now these are the only kinds of movies she *can* make.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
She threw herself off the Star Wars gravy train for the sake of chuddery. They were going to give her a spin-off show. Lol

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shooting Blanks posted:

How far do you travel/commute on a regular basis? A scooter or E-bike might meet a lot of your requirements, and then rent a car for a day if you need to haul something or a group. If you regularly have passengers or need to make a longer commute, that won't work of course.
Yeah, my co-worker rides an e-bike, but like, okay, what am I doing when it’s raining or snowing? Also, what am I doing when I want to go any further? Rent a car for a day? Sounds like a major hassle that I have to make plans for. In the NY suburbs, having a car in the driveway ready to go is incredibly handy even when I barely drive. I just want something sub-$20k and the usual suspects (sub-Corolla compact cars) are either all out of stock in my area or being discontinued, it sucks. I would definitely settle for a Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent, but they’re not in-stock nearby and the Accent just got discontinued as of 2022. Apparently Americans want big expensive SUVs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

haveblue posted:

She threw herself off the Star Wars gravy train for the sake of chuddery. They were going to give her a spin-off show. Lol

I will always find it hilarious that the same chuds who whined about Cara Dune eventually defended her when Gina Carano was kicked off the cast.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

Didn't she have two chances also? Like, didn't she get in trouble for some stupid chud poo poo, begged forgiveness and was basically told to stay away from controversy, then she went off and said more chud poo poo that cost her everything? They must have had a great script and plans for her character or something, they really didn't want to throw her off the show lol.

Her and loving Rosanne both cost themselves unbelievably huge amounts of money because they couldn't keep their nasty thoughts to themselves.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Something like that. She was already known to be right-wing, but had stayed quiet long enough that Disney gave her a chance. She then said something specific that I can’t find right now that was so bad they instantly cut her loose and canceled plans for the spin-off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Something like that. She was already known to be right-wing, but had stayed quiet long enough that Disney gave her a chance. She then said something specific that I can’t find right now that was so bad they instantly cut her loose and canceled plans for the spin-off.

She compared being forced to wear a mask and get vaccinated against COVID to being a victim of the Holocaust or something along those lines, it definitely involved invoking the Holocaust and Disney was just instantly "Nope! Goodbye." after even straight up offering her her own TV show to try and get her to keep her mouth shut because people had come to love her character that much and they wanted to keep profiting off it and she couldn't bring herself to do it. So now she works with Ben Shapiro and other Hollywood outcasts like Robert Davi making weird movies Hunter Biden and poo poo. Wingnut Wellfare will take care of her, but not as well as Disney would have.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I think another goal of the hunter Biden laptop nonsense is to completely desensitize the average voter to the idea of investigations in general.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So are there any bets yet for how soon Republicans start up a Hunter Biden committee once they take power?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hamelekim posted:

So are there any bets yet for how soon Republicans start up a Hunter Biden committee once they take power?

Zero days. McCarthy had already promised this IIRC

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It’s nothing elaborate, just chud Congressmen looking to fundraiser and boost their profiles.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good opinion piece from NYT in a series on political extremism in America, There Are No Lone Wolves That's a gift link but here's some highlights:

quote:

It’s unfortunate that the term “lone wolf” has come into such casual use in the years since the Sept. 11 attacks. It aims to describe a person — nearly always a man — who is radicalized to violence but unconnected to an organized terrorist group like Al Qaeda. But it is wrong to think about violent white supremacists as isolated actors.

There are formal white supremacist organizations going by names like Atomwaffen Division (Canada, Germany, Italy, Britain, United States), Honor and Nation (France), the All-Polish Youth (Poland). But while the majority of adherents to the white supremacist cause aren’t directly affiliated with these groups, they describe themselves as part of a global movement of like-minded people, some of whom commit acts of leaderless violence in the hopes of winning more adherents and destabilizing society.

The atomized nature of the global white extremist movement has also obscured the public’s understanding of the nature of their cause and led to policy prescriptions that aren’t enough to address the scope of the threat. Thoughts and prayers alone will not solve the problem, nor will better mental health care, important though all those things are. One missing piece of any solution is acknowledging that right-wing extremist violence in the United States is part of a global phenomenon and should be treated that way.

quote:

Violent right-wing extremists harbor a variety of beliefs, from a loathing of the government to explicit white supremacy. During his time in office and in the years since, Mr. Trump and his political allies have not only encouraged political violence, through their silence or otherwise, they have also helped bring explicitly white supremacist ideas like the “great replacement” into mainstream politics and popular culture. “This extremism isn’t going to go away or moderate until the people who have normalized it realize their culpability in the things that it inspires,” Oren Segal, the vice president of the Center on Extremism at the Anti-Defamation League, said in an interview.

White supremacy has been part of the story of this country since its earliest days, but the modern notion of replacement is a foreign import. It was outlined in 2012 by Renaud Camus, a French author who has written that immigrants with high birthrates are a threat to white European society. He built on the ideas of another Frenchman, Jean Raspail, who wrote the 1973 book “The Camp of the Saints,” which imagined a flotilla of immigrants who overthrow French society.

The book is a touchstone in white supremacist circles and is popular with some prominent Republicans. Stephen Miller, a senior official in the Trump administration, once recommended the book to the staff of Breitbart when he was a Senate aide, according to emails obtained by the A.D.L. A former Iowa congressman known for defending white supremacy, Steve King, has said that everyone should read it.

The idea of hostile replacement by immigrants has gained currency and some acceptance around the world, even after inspiring mass killers in New Zealand and Buffalo, Norway and South Carolina. Extremists driven to murder are a tiny fraction of those who subscribe to racist ideologies, but the mainstreaming of their ideas can make the turn to violence easier for some.

That’s why it is alarming to see the great replacement idea espoused by political leaders around the globe, including Jordan Bardella, who this month was confirmed as the successor to Marine Le Pen as head of France’s leading far-right party. It has been cited approvingly by Viktor Orban, the prime minister of Hungary and darling of some American conservatives. Tucker Carlson of Fox News talks about it often. An alarming poll by The Associated Press-NORC this year found that about one in three American adults believes that “a group of people is trying to replace native-born Americans with immigrants for electoral gains.” Last year a poll found that 61 percent of French people believe that, too.

That the great replacement theory has gone mainstream is a victory for white supremacists and their cause. “White power activists in the 1990s thought that political action on their cause was not possible — that the door to that was closed. That’s not true anymore,” said Kathleen Belew, a professor at Northwestern and author of “Bring the War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America.”

quote:

Domestic law enforcement agencies in the United States already have effective tools to target organized extremist groups, including wiretaps and undercover informants. They also don’t face language and cultural barriers that they may have had focusing on jihadis. A pervasive problem, though, is the political will to turn the power of the state against white supremacists. Too often, extremism researchers point out, there’s a reluctance in white-majority nations to see white extremists as threatening as nonwhite foreigners.

The United States is also newer to thinking about this white extremism as a transnational problem. “European intelligence officials have long expressed frustration that their U.S. counterparts have not answered their requests for legal assistance and information,” Mr. Byman wrote.

The Biden administration has at least started to heed the warnings of more than a decade’s worth of intelligence reports suggesting that domestic extremism is a problem with a global reach. The National Strategy for Countering Domestic Extremism, released last year, noted that “aspects of the domestic terrorism threat we face in the United States, and in particular those related to racially or ethnically motivated violent extremism, have an international dimension.”

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

haveblue posted:

Zero days. McCarthy had already promised this IIRC

Do they really believe that dragging Biden's son through the mud is going to somehow stick to him? It seems like a ploy to placate the base but will ultimately hurt them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hamelekim posted:

Do they really believe that dragging Biden's son through the mud is going to somehow stick to him? It seems like a ploy to placate the base but will ultimately hurt them.

Some of them probably do believe it will stick to Biden. Others realize it's just a distraction - but a useful one. It can also be seen as retribution, a way to maybe sway a few voters who are still undecided (among the 20 or so still left across the country), or simply keep their own name in the headlines as effectively free campaign spending.

Or some combination of the above.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Some of them probably do believe it will stick to Biden. Others realize it's just a distraction - but a useful one. It can also be seen as retribution, a way to maybe sway a few voters who are still undecided (among the 20 or so still left across the country), or simply keep their own name in the headlines as effectively free campaign spending.

Or some combination of the above.

There are a lot more swing voters than people here think. The Dems didn't turnout their base well, but they did unexpectedly well in the midterms because they won independents which never happens in midterms for the party with the presidency.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hamelekim posted:

My take: They saw that dragging Hillary through the mud for years was one of the reasons Trump beat her in 2016, so they're hoping an accelerated timeline of the same poo poo will help them win in 2024. They have no other priorities right now. Republicans don't have plans to help the country; they just want power.

Edit: This isn't terribly insightful so much as it is dumbly obvious

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 20, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Hamelekim posted:

Yes, they believe that Joe Biden is a senile, incompetent dementia patient who is also the cunning head of a massive crime family that has evaded justice for decades.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

My take: They saw that dragging Hillary through the mud for years was one of the reasons Trump beat her in 2016, so they're hoping an accelerated timeline of the same poo poo will help them win in 2024. They have no other priorities right now.

Hillary was running for office and a woman.

Hunter is not running for office and is a man. It's not going to work.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hillary was running for office and a woman.

Hunter is not running for office and is a man. It's not going to work.

💯% agree. It's all they have. I'm not a fan of the old man or anything, but he did a lot of poo poo in his first two years. It wasn't everything he promised, but it was enough to factor into a relatively successful midterm election for an incumbent party.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 20, 2022

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

She compared being forced to wear a mask and get vaccinated against COVID to being a victim of the Holocaust or something along those lines, it definitely involved invoking the Holocaust and Disney was just instantly "Nope! Goodbye." after even straight up offering her her own TV show to try and get her to keep her mouth shut because people had come to love her character that much and they wanted to keep profiting off it and she couldn't bring herself to do it. So now she works with Ben Shapiro and other Hollywood outcasts like Robert Davi making weird movies Hunter Biden and poo poo. Wingnut Wellfare will take care of her, but not as well as Disney would have.

Another thing was she listed her pronouns on Twitter as "Beep/Bop/Boop" or some poo poo like that obviously meant to antagonize.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, my co-worker rides an e-bike, but like, okay, what am I doing when it’s raining or snowing? Also, what am I doing when I want to go any further? Rent a car for a day? Sounds like a major hassle that I have to make plans for. In the NY suburbs, having a car in the driveway ready to go is incredibly handy even when I barely drive. I just want something sub-$20k and the usual suspects (sub-Corolla compact cars) are either all out of stock in my area or being discontinued, it sucks. I would definitely settle for a Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent, but they’re not in-stock nearby and the Accent just got discontinued as of 2022. Apparently Americans want big expensive SUVs.

Maybe expand the area where you're searching? If you're willing to go out of your way there's usually some decent deals to be had. The Kia Rio is definitely a nice little car though, my girlfriend drives one and it's great on gas mileage.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Well, I suppose it was inevitable.

https://apnews.com/article/d88e3de4b3cc095926dc133f53dc3320

quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Elon Musk reinstated Donald Trump’s account on Twitter on Saturday, reversing a ban that has kept the former president off the social media site since a pro-Trump mob attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, as Congress was poised to certify Joe Biden’s election victory.

Musk made the announcement in the evening after holding a poll that asked Twitter users to click “yes” or “no” on whether Trump’s account should be restored. The “yes” vote won, with 51.8%.

“The people have spoken. Trump will be reinstated. Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” Musk tweeted, using a Latin phrase meaning “the voice of the people, the voice of God.”

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
To nobody's surprise, Musk has stated he's going to reinstate Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/19/business/twitter-musk-trump-reinstate/index.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

My take: They saw that dragging Hillary through the mud for years ....

Clinton has decades of mud on her and America is probably more sexist than it is racist. like its not impossible the attack messaging wont work, but apples and oranges.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Has he banned the kid who's tracking his private flights around the world and to Epstein Island and wherever? Because that would be his big three reasons for spending $44 billion to buy Twitter in the first place taken care of:

1. Unban the Babylon Bee
2. Unban Donald Trump
3. Ban the kid tracking his private jet

No wonder we're starting to see stories that he's looking to hand the reigns to someone who knows what they're doing and bail because his main goals are nearly accomplished now. $44 billion well spent.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Eason the Fifth posted:

My take: They saw that dragging Hillary through the mud for years was one of the reasons Trump beat her in 2016, so they're hoping an accelerated timeline of the same poo poo will help them win in 2024. They have no other priorities right now. Republicans don't have plans to help the country; they just want power.

Edit: This isn't terribly insightful so much as it is dumbly obvious

Except that Hillary has institutional Republican hatred of her going back to the 90's. No one hates Biden, even Tucker brought this up on his show. It's hard to make anything stick. he's got a messed up son that he loves but doesn't know how to help. Lots of voters can relate.maybe things will change if the drag Hunter long enough but I'm doubtful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cr0y posted:

I think another goal of the hunter Biden laptop nonsense is to completely desensitize the average voter to the idea of investigations in general.

ehhh. i think that will backfire a bit because it will show, "hey dems do actual investigations and the GOP just rants about failsons and how trans kids should die"

BonoMan posted:

he already did.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/with_replies

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1594138816126017537

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Except that Hillary has institutional Republican hatred of her going back to the 90's. No one hates Biden, even Tucker brought this up on his show. It's hard to make anything stick. he's got a messed up son that he loves but doesn't know how to help. Lots of voters can relate.maybe things will change if the drag Hunter long enough but I'm doubtful.

its this. biden is boring but he got some good stuff done which made people happy enough, he also keeps out of the limelight until he needs to be in it like a tragedy or a big event or someshit and does what he needs, then he goes back to doing president poo poo. he is also extreamly empathetic which helps him. no one will care about hunter because hunter is just kinda of a sad gently caress up who does stupid poo poo but not really criminal poo poo and compared to the trump brothers he is boring.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

And nobody really "hates" the Bidens aside from derenged deep end C-SPAMers and deranged deep end right wingers, and one end of that horseshoe is a lot bigger than the other. Most normal people don't give a poo poo about Joe Biden beyond "Eh, he's okay" or "Eh, he sucks. Trying to explain to them why they should give a poo poo about what his private citizen son did or did not do with drugs and hookers and an oil company either makes you sound like some QAnon wacko, or, depending on your level of general empathy or irony, makes him sound either rad as poo poo or incredibly sad and makes you feel kinda sorry for him that he let his life get that off track.

I could easily see every normal news outlet treating the Hunter Biden Laptop Committee with the same level of interest as a subcommittee meeting on re-examining statue 847.A sub-paragraph 6, line 4 of the US Tax Code, which is to say I literally fell asleep trying to type that sentence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PhazonLink posted:

Clinton has decades of mud on her and America is probably more sexist than it is racist. like its not impossible the attack messaging wont work, but apples and oranges.

Yep. I'm not saying that it will work, just that it's all the House GOP has right now, and they have to play the card because they literally don't have anything else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And nobody really "hates" the Bidens aside from derenged deep end C-SPAMers and deranged deep end right wingers, and one end of that horseshoe is a lot bigger than the other. Most normal people don't give a poo poo about Joe Biden beyond "Eh, he's okay" or "Eh, he sucks. Trying to explain to them why they should give a poo poo about what his private citizen son did or did not do with drugs and hookers and an oil company either makes you sound like some QAnon wacko, or, depending on your level of general empathy or irony, makes him sound either rad as poo poo or incredibly sad and makes you feel kinda sorry for him that he let his life get that off track.

I could easily see every normal news outlet treating the Hunter Biden Laptop Committee with the same level of interest as a subcommittee meeting on re-examining statue 847.A sub-paragraph 6, line 4 of the US Tax Code, which is to say I literally fell asleep trying to type that sentence.

i sorta think the house will try to make it a january 6th type prime time poo poo but only fox will go for it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Back when Elon thought he was going to make money or at least not lose money on Twitter he probably had plans of making a thoughtful, considered decision about Trump with feedback, etc.

Now though, I think at some level Elon Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally hosed, it was almost entirely his fault, his reputation is now severely damaged, and his entire investment is now wasted. He's probably pissed about that, so now he's just lashing out and making his perceived enemies mad while Twitter is still afloat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rigel posted:

Back when Elon thought he was going to make money or at least not lose money on Twitter he probably had plans of making a thoughtful, considered decision about Trump with feedback, etc.

Now though, I think at some level Elon Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally hosed, it was almost entirely his fault, his reputation is now severely damaged, and his entire investment is now wasted. He's probably pissed about that, so now he's just lashing out and making his perceived enemies mad while Twitter is still afloat.
I don’t think Musk is capable of that level of self-reflection

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
baseless / tinhat idea.

The only reason Clinton had an entire hate machine created and aimed at her was she friendzoned a some college republicans and they used their incel rage to build decades long media machine to mess with her.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 20, 2022

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Rigel posted:

I think you’re correct in that Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally gently caress, but I doubt for a minute he thinks it’s his fault. I would imagine his view is that it’s the fault of the 95+% of the Twitter workforce that didn’t buy into his vision, and also all the people who spent $8 to verify fake accounts and poo poo post. He made a comment at one point about how he didn’t believe people would pay money to impersonate other people since it would just get them banned. Which is hilarious, since SA has a 20+ year history proving that there are plenty of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to just constantly poo poo post.

In other words,

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think Musk is capable of that level of self-reflection

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like a good sign

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1593973692714823680

https://twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1593606140994195456

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hopefully, Biden isn’t loved but he isn’t hated and chuds being the loud disruptive assholes in the room doesn’t help them at all. The gop is operating like it’s still the 80s where cultural conservatism was king and that the “silent majority” loves their theater. When it’s in fact the opposite.

PhazonLink posted:

baseless / tinhat idea.

The only reason Clinton had an entire hate machine created and aimed at her was she friendzoned a some college republicans and they used their incel rage to build decades long media machine to mess with her.

I can see some of it but I think a lot of it is that Clinton isn’t great with public facing politics at best and has picked enough dumb positions in here career that it’s hurt here appeal.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I think you’re correct in that Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally gently caress, but I doubt for a minute he thinks it’s his fault. I would imagine his view is that it’s the fault of the 95+% of the Twitter workforce that didn’t buy into his vision, and also all the people who spent $8 to verify fake accounts and poo poo post. He made a comment at one point about how he didn’t believe people would pay money to impersonate other people since it would just get them banned. Which is hilarious, since SA has a 20+ year history proving that there are plenty of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to just constantly poo poo post.

In other words,

Yeah, to me, deep deep down he knows it’s hosed but now he is just try to post through it and praying the chuds keep him afloat.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

baseless / tinhat idea.

You're actually not entirely off base. If I remember some ancient history correctly, Bill Clinton's troubles started when he snubbed then-Speaker Newt Gingrich by seating him at the back of Air Force One on the way back from a foreign event. Gingrich took offense to that and made it his mission to ruin Bill's presidency going forward. Which was the beginning of the Republican white-hot hatred for all things Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

JazzFlight posted:

You can probably keep your 02 Corolla running for a small outlay, those things are cockroaches. PM me I can give what advice I can, I'm a mechanic