Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can’t wait to watch the Caps/Flyers game to crown King of Dogshit Garbage Heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

cole caufield rules

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

yellowcar posted:

cole caufield rules

my sources confirm this

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol flyera

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
wow the ducks are bad. but the blues still allowed 31 shots to them lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Reimer continues to be way better than our team deserves

e: 6 straight home losses jfc

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 20, 2022

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Connor Bedard is going to play for the Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Friedman said Canucks/Sens were talking about a Zaitsev/Myers swap for a while. Only Pierre Dorion could lose trading the same guy twice

Trading Myers would have made sense in the off season, he wasn’t terrible last year - I’d imagine his high value point since he signed.

That said from a tanking point of view it makes sense, except they aren’t going to tank, this is simply so they can try and resign Horvat for a couple million more than he would have cost before the season because they were to busy signing the guy who had just had a career season for a couple of million more than he would get now. Sigh.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

yellowcar posted:

cole caufield rules

:hmmyes:

Also Suzuki with another wild shootout goal.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
rangers are kinda not fun to watch this year but just like...they're doing stuff right but the puck doesn't go in for them.

I don't think they should really change much, they often outshoot and outchance their opponents and get good chances, but eh...frustrating a bit

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres are in an interesting position right now. And by interesting I mean horrible!

- They have won one game in November, on the 2nd. They lost to Arizona, Vancouver and Ottawa during their 7-game losing streak.
- They started 7-3 and are now 7-10.
- Okposo has a mysterious injury.
- Last game, Girgensens got his face cut open and left partway through the game. The Sabres, btw, botched the double minor by taking a garbage penalty a minute in so there was two minutes of 4-on-4. They continued to give up short-handed opportunities throughout the game.
- Rasmus Dahlin bumped an Ottawa player with his dumptruck rear end, that player awkwardly hit Eric Comrie who was fine for about thirty seconds then injured himself trying to stop a goal (he didn’t stop it).
- The Sabres have recalled Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen from Rochester, who is starting against the Leafs. His first start this season.
- Due to injuries, the Sabres are running 7 D tonight.

:shepicide:

Edit: they aren’t running 7 D, that guy was wrong wtf
The players who have been through this before are starting to get that 1000 yard stare. Mittlestadt scored a goal against the Leafs last night to bring the Sabres within 3 in the 3rd and the expression on his face was that of someone who just got the news their dog died. No happiness, no excitement.

How long before Dahlin "loses his love for the game" and gets traded away for pennies on the dollar? And then goes on to win a Norris, Smythe and Cup for his new team the very next season.

This team plays almost entirely on the perimeter. They look like they're being coached to play the same game that Ralph Kreuger coached them to play. And they're getting the same results.

8 in a row.. we want 9!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens looked much more themselves last night. Zucker and Geno combining to make the biggest difference and Jarry having a very good game despite looking shakey as all get out. Think the Pens still need an upgrade on the LD side. Not going to get super far with Pettersson carrying 20+ minutes a night.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to guess without looking it up first that Tage Thompson had all kinds of xG last night but either missed the net or stuffed them right into Murray's pads. Well okay Murray also had a dramatic glove save at one point (yes, I was shocked too) though I don't remember whose shot it was.

e: Moneypuck has him at 0.14 xG on 9 shots/11 attempts so iit appears that I don't understand anything. Was he really shooting from bad enough positions to expect to score barely 1% of the time??

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 20, 2022

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

I'm going to guess without looking it up first that Tage Thompson had all kinds of xG last night but either missed the net or stuffed them right into Murray's pads. Well okay Murray also had a dramatic glove save at one point (yes, I was shocked too) though I don't remember whose shot it was.

e: Moneypuck has him at 0.14 xG on 9 shots/11 attempts so iit appears that I don't understand anything. Was he really shooting from bad enough positions to expect to score barely 1% of the time??

He also disrespected a fellow Arizonan

https://twitter.com/camcharronyvr/status/1594185244621836288?s=46&t=4PukkSbE4Y_xcmTGeFCkyg

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eXXon posted:

xG is based mostly on where shot attempts come from on the ice. I don't think Tage had any slot shots the entire game. Everything was from outside the faceoff dots.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

rangers are kinda not fun to watch this year but just like...they're doing stuff right but the puck doesn't go in for them.

I don't think they should really change much, they often outshoot and outchance their opponents and get good chances, but eh...frustrating a bit

They're playing better than they were this time last year and getting worse results. Fuckin' goalies, man.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

and then he tried it again

https://twitter.com/camcharronyvr/status/1594191342913343488?s=20&t=gISiy9cJ_Ofb9M3fBZGU1A

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're playing better than they were this time last year and getting worse results. Fuckin' goalies, man.

I mean it’s not just their goalie either

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The lightning are good again, fear not levitate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1594366458494160897?t=vJ-Ny6AU4Gpxa90SzDOvBg&s=19

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1594336965729857538?t=nly1Glynr4QCkWN-ZPzUFg&s=19

Jackets are regressing to a hybrid of their 2019 form of "being mostly dead" while being their 2021 form of "not great but able to be plucky and collect points with a dogshit game or two thrown in the mix".

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If there's a year to be dogshit from injury and luck, this is the year!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
seider has had a rough start to the year but this was really cool last night
https://twitter.com/WingedWheelPod/status/1594128037846863873?s=20&t=RfZ4NW2UPwlu0tnc_3bvVw

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens seem like they're starting to hone in on the good version of Mike Sullivan hockey where they grind teams down and still have the offense to back that up.

Hopefully the poor start didn't doom them. I think ultimately they are the fourth best team in the Metro (I'd have Devils/Canes/Rangers all ahead of them) so I think long term they should edge the Islanders out provided they don't get horrific goaltending or injuries.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens seem like they're starting to hone in on the good version of Mike Sullivan hockey where they grind teams down and still have the offense to back that up.

Please give credit where it’s actually due

https://youtu.be/OpgKZc86G1w

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Please give credit where it’s actually due

https://youtu.be/OpgKZc86G1w

Honestly while his firing was long overdue he was a legit good coach for a while with the Pens. Of course it would be impossible to gently caress up with a young Crosby and Malkin. I blame a lot of those playoff failures on Maf way more than Bylsma.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1594336965729857538?t=nly1Glynr4QCkWN-ZPzUFg&s=19

Jackets are regressing to a hybrid of their 2019 form of "being mostly dead" while being their 2021 form of "not great but able to be plucky and collect points with a dogshit game or two thrown in the mix".

"Never seen this before" is a bit funny considering the Habs' entire defence corps until a couple of games ago was worth $7,563,333 in cap space. I guess it's never seen before for the jackets?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes it's because you didn't look.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This was actually unwise because it made Auston real mad and he kept trying to body tiny hockey mans like Skinner the rest of the game, which ruled.

th3t00t posted:

xG is based mostly on where shot attempts come from on the ice. I don't think Tage had any slot shots the entire game. Everything was from outside the faceoff dots.

Ok, but I looked on NHL's PBP and his first four SOG were from inside the faceoff circle, albeit mostly closer to the top. I wouldn't expect them to be super high percentage but <2% seems rather low. Speaking of which, do any of the sites let you plot exact shot locations and types with filters? I thought NHL.com did but I can't seem to find it now.

Moneypuck also has some :words: about their model:

quote:

This model predicts the probability of each shot being a goal. Factors such as the distance from the net, angle of the shot, type of shot, and what happened before the shot are key factors in the model. This model was built on over 50,000 goals and 800,000 shots in NHL regular season and playoff games from the 2007-2008 to 2014-2015 season with location data. By adding up all the probabilities of a team's shots during a game, we can calculate the team's expected goals in that game. The model was built using gradient boosting. MoneyPuck's expected goals model uses a different variable strategy than other expected goals like from Corsica Hockey or HockeyGraphs.com. The MoneyPuck expected goals model does not explicitly use variables for rebounds or rush shots. Rather, it looks at the 'speed' between events: The distance on the ice between the shot and the event before it divided by the amount of time that's elapsed. Also, for rebound shots the model looks at the change in angle between the shots divided by the amount of time between the two shots. The illustrations below describe how the speed variables are created:

They're basing it on some pretty old data - surely things have changed more than subtly from 2007-15 to now? Also, I thought the league's event tracking was pretty half-assed until quite recently.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Did anyone else realize the Ducks don't have a regulation win yet? All 5 wins are overtime wins.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Honestly while his firing was long overdue he was a legit good coach for a while with the Pens. Of course it would be impossible to gently caress up with a young Crosby and Malkin. I blame a lot of those playoff failures on Maf way more than Bylsma.

It wouldn't be accurate to say Bylsma was a bad coach. He was like having no coach at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

It wouldn't be accurate to say Bylsma was a bad coach. He was like having no coach at all.

Cynical take, but Probably 50% of NHL teams would benefit from having no coach versus having a bad coach.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

fawning deference posted:

Did anyone else realize the Ducks don't have a regulation win yet? All 5 wins are overtime wins.

The ducks are record breakers baybee

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Cynical take, but Probably 50% of NHL teams would benefit from having no coach versus having a bad coach.

I'm not sure letting players call their own lines is a good idea. Connor would still have Kassian and Lucic as his line mates

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

No one has really been watching them, so probably not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm not sure letting players call their own lines is a good idea. Connor would still have Kassian and Lucic as his line mates

Ok this is a really good point.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Shame for him too he had what looked like a sure goal ping off the knob of Murray’s stick and out, a lot of the good stuff he did in that game just never turned into material results

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
So apparently the next twist in the Shane Wright saga will be a 2 week "conditioning" stint in the AHL, which they can do now that he has been a healthy scratch for 5 games in a row. After he comes back from that, they might send him to the world Jr Hockey Championships, it's still unclear.
https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-ryan-reynolds-and-shane-wright/2022/11/20/
Seems good that he will finally get some real playing time for a bit in any case.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that. But he was terminally against adjusting anything ever which was his undoing. His system either worked and beat the opponent he was playing, or it didn't and he had no answers if it didn't.

Sullivan is much better at making adjustments when things aren't going well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, the Penguins benefited enormously from firing Michel Therrien and replacing him with an empty suit. But after a few years a team gets listless and needs an actual coach again (not Mike Johnston).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

But after a few years a team gets listless and needs an actual coach again (not Mike Johnston).

Jesus, it's been six years and you immediately won two Cups. You'll feel much better if you let the affront to hockey that was Mike Johnston not winning a Cup in his 1 1/3 years in Pittsburgh go.

E- check that, 7 years!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 20, 2022