Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does Eneloop do 1.5V Li-ion batteries? OP is saying that the 1.2V NiMH ones don’t work for their application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The microwave that was in this house when we moved in is toast, tell me why I should buy your favorite microwave. Bonus points if it's Maytag with that brushed metal finish so it will match our other appliances.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We bought some $100 one off Amazon and it's done a good job of bombarding our food with radiation to make it hot. I think it's a Toshiba but I can't find the order history at this time.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

The microwave that was in this house when we moved in is toast, tell me why I should buy your favorite microwave. Bonus points if it's Maytag with that brushed metal finish so it will match our other appliances.

Buy whatever matches your kitchen, all microwaves are the same

https://twitter.com/wirecutter/status/1263549250719416321
(a thread)

blunt has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Oct 31, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I assume that holds true for over-range units?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The only major difference for microwaves is if they have an inverter. Inverter microwave can do REAL low power mode, i.e. actually give a half-strength microwave signal when you set the power at 50%.

Non-invertet microwaves, which is most, just do duty-cycles of on/off to get to 50%, 75%, etc...

Other than that just, get one that looks the way you want and maybe some Quality of Life features. Mine, a Toshiba, has the ability to be totally silenced. Not sure if that's standard but now? I guess if they're all made by the same company you'd think so, but I suppose the control panel and whatnot might be the one area they differ in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Alternatively just don't buy a microwave, use your stove and oven

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

Alternatively just don't buy a microwave, use your stove and oven

Yes, I love making kitchen even hotter than it already is in the middle of summer just to re-heat some fuckin' enchiladas.

And also having it take 40 minutes instead of 5.

Microwaves are amazing and you can get a perfectly decent one for under $100, probably free if you look on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for five minutes. I guess if you don't like em, that's fine, but I've gone without before and found it pretty annoying for the reasons above.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Nov 1, 2022

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If you can, get a microwave with a crisping pan. It literally changed my life.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Slimy Hog posted:

I actually got a good deal on it, someone left it just SITTING on their doorstep

:arghfist: Why I outta! Seriously though. I shouldn't have bought this thing. What a vacuum of productivity.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

evobatman posted:

If you can, get a microwave with a crisping pan. It literally changed my life.

Oh that’s interesting. I wonder if that would be real good for pizza reheating. Pan + steam is always a winner but preventing the crust from getting wet is a bit of a pain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warbird posted:

Oh that’s interesting. I wonder if that would be real good for pizza reheating. Pan + steam is always a winner but preventing the crust from getting wet is a bit of a pain.

I just put a couple drops of water on the crust and microwave for 45 seconds. Works perfectly. No soggy or chewy crust.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Panasonic microwave club check in. Inverters for life.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only major difference for microwaves is if they have an inverter. Inverter microwave can do REAL low power mode, i.e. actually give a half-strength microwave signal when you set the power at 50%.

Non-invertet microwaves, which is most, just do duty-cycles of on/off to get to 50%, 75%, etc...
This is a big deal. I moved from inverter to non-inverter and can never get things to microwave just a little bit. It’s a royal pain if you’re attempting even some level of precision in your microwaving, which I will admit maybe sounds a bit dumb.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Christmas is coming and my wife is difficult to shop for, but she loves tea and our cheap kettle is starting to wear out. Anyone have a good solid one they'd recommend? She hates ones that have handles that tip to the side.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Are you looking for a kettle that heats up over your stove or an electric one?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Are you looking for a kettle that heats up over your stove or an electric one?

One on the stove.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Breville tea maker!

Put loose leaf tea in the basket, it heats the water to the right temperature, then it lowers the basket to steep the tea for the proper amount of time (and will bounce the basket for better steeping, if you want).

It's expensive but makes perfect tea every time.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

One on the stove.

I know this straight-up ignores your criteria, but have you considered a hot water dispenser?

https://www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rhtp-22001-5-l/p/9SIA072HVT5929

I only ask because I have the 4L Rosewill (so, not that one I linked) and we really like it. My wife makes tea every night and it cuts down the wait time so you’re only waiting for it to steep. Plus, since the temp is configurable, you can set it up for the perfect temp if you e.g. drink more green tea.

I’ve shown these modes to my friends and family, and several of them opted to move from a kettle to a dispenser instead.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

St_Ides posted:

Breville tea maker!

Put loose leaf tea in the basket, it heats the water to the right temperature, then it lowers the basket to steep the tea for the proper amount of time (and will bounce the basket for better steeping, if you want).

It's expensive but makes perfect tea every time.

We've talked about getting an electric kettle before but she's been on the fence about it and I don't want to introduce a gadget that I'm not 100% sure of.

experienceBeej posted:

I know this straight-up ignores your criteria, but have you considered a hot water dispenser?

https://www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rhtp-22001-5-l/p/9SIA072HVT5929

I only ask because I have the 4L Rosewill (so, not that one I linked) and we really like it. My wife makes tea every night and it cuts down the wait time so you’re only waiting for it to steep. Plus, since the temp is configurable, you can set it up for the perfect temp if you e.g. drink more green tea.

I’ve shown these modes to my friends and family, and several of them opted to move from a kettle to a dispenser instead.

That's neat. Pretty much the same as above though. I know for sure she'd use a new kettle and it's the only thing she's dropped any hints on.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d cut the difference and get a regular electric kettle if either of you are open to it. They’re tons faster and more energy efficient than stove counterparts. Mrs. Burd and her folks are from the tea drinking part of the world and the thing runs about nonstop. If you’re intent on a stovetop version the Wirecutter folks may have a recommendation.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Electric kettle is the way to go. I like the Cuisinart CPK 17, have been using one for 6 years.

But if you want a real freaking solid, real freaking old-school French stovetop one, my wife just got this Staub and it's great for that purpose.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was going to post here about the same thing. I thought I hated all teas until I had chai and it’s the most delicious hot drink ever. Give me that pumpkin spice and milk too, delicious.

Is there anything easier if I just want to make 1-2 servings at a time. I don’t regularly drink caffeine so just a little bit here and there on cold mornings is all I need.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Rolo posted:

I was going to post here about the same thing. I thought I hated all teas until I had chai and it’s the most delicious hot drink ever. Give me that pumpkin spice and milk too, delicious.

Is there anything easier if I just want to make 1-2 servings at a time. I don’t regularly drink caffeine so just a little bit here and there on cold mornings is all I need.

Join us in the Tea thread for all your tea needs!

It's where I posted about this amazing thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLm0jmazq8

which is fantastic, albeit time-consuming (the "real deal" version) so you'd probably want to make a big batch. It keeps in the fridge for days and you can just nuke it if you want it warm.

(I still make it, with the removal of cloves and the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, but I'm also experimenting with a concentrated version, results not yet final)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Trabant posted:

Join us in the Tea thread for all your tea needs!

It's where I posted about this amazing thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLm0jmazq8

which is fantastic, albeit time-consuming (the "real deal" version) so you'd probably want to make a big batch. It keeps in the fridge for days and you can just nuke it if you want it warm.

(I still make it, with the removal of cloves and the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, but I'm also experimenting with a concentrated version, results not yet final)

Yep see you soon. I drank coffee religiously until 23 and quit cold turkey so my tolerance plummeted, now at 35 having a little chai in the morning get me perfect without cracking me out.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Christmas is coming and my wife is difficult to shop for, but she loves tea and our cheap kettle is starting to wear out. Anyone have a good solid one they'd recommend? She hates ones that have handles that tip to the side.

You might consider a Zojirushi water dispenser. They'll bring a large reservoir of water up to a set temp and then just hold it there. So it will be hot water on demand. You'll just have to refill it every so often. But definitely not as versatile as the aforementioned electric kettles.

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/water-boilers-warmers?ids=

The biggest differences among the models are going to be:
1. Country of Manufacturer: Japan or somewhere else
2. VE Hybrid Models: Which just means the water reservoir is double-walled for heat retention and to use less power for keeping warm.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have reccs for a nunchuk style or other split controller that works on PC? Have a wrist injury and need something that lets me position my wrist more flexibly for the next 10-16 weeks. Given it's not a permanent need, I didn't want to go with the Xbox adaptive controller - it seems like a lot of the joysticks etc that would work are either out of stock or are quite expensive (especially given the $100 for the hub) for a relatively short use.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

My Frigidaire dishwasher, which has not been the most reliable for years, appears to be finally on its way out. Is there a solid middle of the road option that is generally agreed to be solid?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The recommendation for dishwashers is Bosch. I don't know of any others.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Looking for desk recs (brand or specific model) - need an L-shape pref abt 65x65 or so, and need the desk/return to be 30" deep or thereabouts... also would prefer moden styling and no modesty panel/things to get in the way of me putting my feet up

Basically I want an Uplift desk in aesthetic and dimensions, but I dont need nor want to pay for a height changing function

Ideas? Everything I find seems to be either cheap old style stuff, flimsy looking and shallow/small dimensions, or opulent af and unnecessarily expensive

Price range pref under $1300 (or at least close)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Try finding the old IKEA Galant. It's been discontinued for a while, but it's my favorite giant L-shaped desk.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone got any good sites to get candles from?
Just the candle itself. I got plenty of holders and glass jars from previous candles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My mom is dropping hints about wanting a miniature photo printer for her birthday, something that connects to her phone. Anyone heard of these and have one that they like?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Techmoan has reviewed a couple on his YouTube channel, although I really don't know that his conclusions were.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

My mom is dropping hints about wanting a miniature photo printer for her birthday, something that connects to her phone. Anyone heard of these and have one that they like?

They're about a hundred quid and the prints are decent quality, but insanely expensive to run (50-75p per print)

e; swap quid for dollars as appropriate, it's all the same these days

Fuji Instax are pretty popular

blunt has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Nov 20, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Anyone got any good sites to get candles from?
Just the candle itself. I got plenty of holders and glass jars from previous candles.

Do you want fancier scented? Or just like plain tea lights and other "plain" candles? Because it you just want plain, I think craft stores, Michael's or wherever, has decent prices on plain ol non-scented, white (possibly even other colors) tea lights, tapered, and...uhh...those thick, big, beefy boi candles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the best medium-sized rice cooker under like 150 bucks? and what's the best drink container that keeps it cold for ages, price is (probably?) no object for that one

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Captain Invictus posted:

what's the best medium-sized rice cooker under like 150 bucks? and what's the best drink container that keeps it cold for ages, price is (probably?) no object for that one

https://shop.zojirushi.com/products/nswac

How much drink? Thermoflasks work well

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm gonna be annoying and say get an instant pot. All the rice I've made in mine has been perfect and done super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schmeichy posted:

https://shop.zojirushi.com/products/nswac

How much drink? Thermoflasks work well
I dunno, 1 liter maybe?

and as for rice cookers, I've had a black and decker rice cooker(looks a lot like this one) that I think is the same one that Roger Ebert was recommending over a decade ago. it still works great, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of amazing breakthrough in ricecooker technology since a decade ago, or if a rice cooker is a rice cooker is a rice cooker.