Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only culture coming out of the bay area these days and probably since before I was born is new and exciting versions of multicultural corporate art designed to be as inoffensive, eye-catching, and vaugely condescending as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Otoh, hyphy was fun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i listen to rbe/sob a lot lol. I'm not being literal of course. but every time someone talks about the 'culture' of the bay it's always, always, some guerilla marketing bullshit lol. if it wasn't they would be normal and not talk about it in those terms

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I like San Jose

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Larry Parrish posted:

The only culture coming out of the bay area these days and probably since before I was born is new and exciting versions of multicultural corporate art designed to be as inoffensive, eye-catching, and vaugely condescending as possible

Yeah it feels like there's like a single strain of art that is specifically designed for tech companies' offices, lobbies, and new development. can't put my finger on it, but I'd be very surprised if the artists do anything other than build poo poo specifically for corporations

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It’s called corporate Memphis

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The main cultural export is social media

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Otoh, hyphy was fun.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I like San Jose

Yeah, San Jose is a good place to live. It might tend to get overshadowed by Oakland & SF, but that doesn't make it bad.

The paradoxical way ostensibly progressive-minded people get snooty about cities and neighborhoods never ceases to amaze me. It's a very California Liberal thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Counterpoint: Bakersfield

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, San Jose is a good place to live. It might tend to get overshadowed by Oakland & SF, but that doesn't make it bad.

The paradoxical way ostensibly progressive-minded people get snooty about cities and neighborhoods never ceases to amaze me. It's a very California Liberal thing.

San Jose isn't a city, it's a suburb. Some people prefer city lifestyle (which is fine) while some people want to live in a suburb, which is sort of fine, it's not good overall we should be living in denser centers that make more efficient use of land and are easier to walk and use public transit instead.

Nobody actually cares, but Liberals are dumb I agree with you there. But usually liberals are the ones that think suburbs are OK and good places to live.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What's your point? I live here but it's a fake city and I'm a liberal for not moving?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is San Jose a suburb of, though. its just not very dense. it all occupies the same little valley along the freeway and as far as I'm aware it's not missing any major services. it's like arguing Sacramento is a suburb. they probably do have similar population density. now, some place like Orangevale is definitely a suburb because it's technically it's own city but you have to leave it for anything besides groceries.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

San Jose is a city like LA is a city. Tiny urban core surrounded by sprawl. Built out, not up. It's stupid to say the 10th most populous city in the US "isn't a city".

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

what is San Jose a suburb of, though.

Itself, like Phoenix.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

what is San Jose a suburb of, though. its just not very dense.

Redwood City

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

what is San Jose a suburb of, though. its just not very dense. it all occupies the same little valley along the freeway and as far as I'm aware it's not missing any major services. it's like arguing Sacramento is a suburb. they probably do have similar population density. now, some place like Orangevale is definitely a suburb because it's technically it's own city but you have to leave it for anything besides groceries.

Santa Cruz.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Unincorporated South Milpitas

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Larry Parrish posted:

what is San Jose a suburb of, though. its just not very dense.

sj is a suburb of sf

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

what is San Jose a suburb of, though.

Walnut Creek

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Cupertino, San Mateo and

But seriously it's actually this:

jetz0r posted:

sj is a suburb of sf

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
San Francisco is just a suburb of Vallejo, really.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

San Jose is more populous than San Francisco, so actually SF is a suburb of SJ (as is Oakland).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
san fran is more of an extended airport terminal at this point

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Larry Parrish posted:

san fran is more of an extended airport terminal at this point

I believe the preferred name is Sanny Franny.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
SF is a tourist attraction.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Bay Area is all just a coastal colony of Fresno, heart of California.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

VikingofRock posted:

San Jose is more populous than San Francisco, so actually SF is a suburb of SJ (as is Oakland).

Try driving from SJ to SF during morning rush hour, compared to SF to SJ. SF is the central destination of the bay area.

Or to put it another way, SF charges to get into the city, the other cities charge to leave.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

withak posted:

SF is a tourist attraction.

Because it's a city with things to do and enjoy.

San Jose has Winchester mystery house and Great America.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
SF and SJ are suburbs of LA; you can get there in 2 hours

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

California is a suburb of Lake Tahoe

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Evil Robot posted:

SF and SJ are suburbs of LA; you can get there in 2 hours

LA is a suburb of San Diego for the same reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
California is a suburb of the United States.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all of California below 2k elevation is a suburb of the mountains aka real California :twisted:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

How would you feel about setting the threshold at, say 3k feet? Or 2.5k?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steve French posted:

How would you feel about setting the threshold at, say 3k feet? Or 2.5k?

3,000ft. I've prepared the attached for the upcoming ballot initiative.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

State of Jefferson growing some balls

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
what pays more Prison Guard at Susanville or Card Dealer in Tahoe?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

3,000ft. I've prepared the attached for the upcoming ballot initiative.

I think we should set it at Larry Parrish’s elevation plus one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Steve French posted:

I think we should set it at Larry Parrish’s elevation plus one

what will we do when he conquers mount whitney