Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, thats the big issue with almonds in general. In my defense, I go through like 4 half-gallons a year. I rarely buy it because I shop at Costco for like 99% of my groceries. On the rare occasion I have to go into a grocery store for something special, I do pick 1 up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I still haven’t gotten over dropping sausage and vegetable options for pizza. Cheese and pep are just so boring. Similarly losing relish, onions, sauerkraut, and 2 kinds of mustard keeps the dogs boring.

Also annoyed that I now need to get out of the house by 11 tomorrow to avoid the post-church chicken riot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I went to Costco earlier this evening, got more nicotine. My partner grabbed a humidifier, macadamia nuts, marcona almonds, and I think some other poo poo - I wasn't paying that much attention. Overall store traffic wasn't too bad, but the food court was way too busy to get a hotdog and soda, so we went to get Thai food instead.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KakerMix posted:

Plant-based milk rules, we prefer either soy or oak strictly on it being available as: "soy/oak, water". No gums, no sweetner, nothing else. Not sure almond can carry a plant-based beverage on its own without a bit more stuff, plus almonds and water and all that.

Cow's milk is still king for cheese though, which is The Best Milk™

what they do is recombination of ingredients. orange juice is prototypal for this, where they mix in multiple varieties of orange juice, one part of it basically a sweetener which is entirely composed of orange juice, another part of it basically an emulsifier composed of the emulsifying parts of orange juice, one part of it a tasteless unemulsified intense orange color, etc etc and mix it up. most common (basically omnipresent) is a "flavor pack" made out of peels. on the ingredients list they can colorably put in just "orange juice not from concentrate" and not get sued, but it's a lotta food science legerdemain, just entirely in orange juice.

same w/ the oat milks, but with oats. or soy milk, with soy. i don't mind that poo poo but they do it so be advised

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just drink milk milk. :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

they do it for cows milk too, and mcdonalds burgers

peeps do not actually want a natural product, because a natural product is an inconsistent product. that's the challenge

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they do it for cows milk too, and mcdonalds burgers

peeps do not actually want a natural product, because a natural product is an inconsistent product. that's the challenge

Well, yeah, I'm aware - that's what "homogenized" means.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, yeah, I'm aware - that's what "homogenized" means.

thats for making sure that cream doesnt float to the top of milk, you could have milk from a single cow which is homogenized (happens all the time) or milk from the recombination process i talked about which isn't (which frankly never happens)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have completed the transition from lovely hanes socks to full Kirkland socks.

I think the Kirkland ones might be a bit too thick for the summer but I’ll deal with that then.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

I drink milk with almost every meal, and did so even before I quit drinking alcohol. My digestive system is impressive.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i cant do the milk. but my lust for cheese is unquenchable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm a lactase-persistent mutant, and make the most of it. :awesomelon:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

waste of calories just mainline cheese instead imo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My grandparents in Mehico used to have a milk guy that would come by and ask if you wanted a half gallon from his cool-packed milk containment units.

They'd pasteurize the milk before we could drink it. It was deliciously fatty with a kind of cow/animal taste to it that wasn't in US milk. Goddamn could that make for some great milk & cookies and baking.

Miss that milk.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
the cannelloni, you buy em and you don't boil or bake but you fry em in some oil.. get some raos in there some pecorino romano

in business

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had no idea you could milk an oak tree.

Also, as far as I know, aren't almonds like one of the most water heavy growing operations in the US and stealing tons of water from California citizens?

So, almonds alone are bad, but growing them using an incredible amount of water and then extracting that water from them seems like.... incredibly worse.

I do like almonds though. I eat them rarely. I drink FairLife or whatever it's called because I'm a lonely single man and it takes me a long time to go through it. poo poo lasts like 2 months.

IDK, I suspect that it is kind of a non-issue. Complaining about farmers is a pastime for Coastal Californians. Of course, they live next to one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world and reap the benefits of it all of the time, with plentiful cheap, fresh produce. But still, they complain.

I once calculated the water usage per mass of crop for almonds vs. a staple crop like corn, and almonds were only 3x higher. The kcal/kg of dent corn is about 2/3rds that of almonds, so almonds only use 2x more water than dent corn, a very efficient staple crop, on a kg/calorie basis. That water usage doesn't really seem that crazy to me for a kind of luxury food product.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

IDK, I suspect that it is kind of a non-issue. Complaining about farmers is a pastime for Coastal Californians. Of course, they live next to one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world and reap the benefits of it all of the time, with plentiful cheap, fresh produce. But still, they complain.

I once calculated the water usage per mass of crop for almonds vs. a staple crop like corn, and almonds were only 3x higher. The kcal/kg of dent corn is about 2/3rds that of almonds, so almonds only use 2x more water than dent corn, a very efficient staple crop, on a kg/calorie basis. That water usage doesn't really seem that crazy to me for a kind of luxury food product.

The thing is California shouldn’t be producing luxury food products like almonds or grapes.

They yell at us to take 3 min showers and not water lawns but the vast majority of the water goes to that poo poo.

The Ag industry is also increasingly reliant on machinery which reduces the workers needed for the crops so the arguments that they are job creators is becoming increasingly thin at best.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

milk is a waste of time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah like California doesn't have the water they use is the thing.
They should get some nuclear powered desalination plants, then we could all drink as much almond as we could handle.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yak milk or gtfo

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MarcusSA posted:

The thing is California shouldn’t be producing luxury food products like almonds or grapes.

They yell at us to take 3 min showers and not water lawns but the vast majority of the water goes to that poo poo.

I don't think almonds & grapes really use THAT much water compared to the other kinds of produce that is grown in the Central Valley of California. What you are proposing is basically not to grow crops in CA. That is one way to reduce water usage in CA. Maybe you can grow produce with lower yields with less water. I guess that's another option which has a less worse side effect.

MarcusSA posted:

The Ag industry is also increasingly reliant on machinery which reduces the workers needed for the crops so the arguments that they are job creators is becoming increasingly thin at best.

Coastal Californians LOVE that they have abundant cheap, fresh produce, which is enabled by the local agricultural industry in CA. I think most of the people whose pastime is to complain about farmers paradoxically would be pretty unhappy if CA were to totally shut down its agricultural industry.

edit: the same class of people who really get into the paradoxical left-wing politics of food and who complain that farming uses natural resources are the same kind of people who LOVE that e.g. Berkeley Bowl has a huge variety of fresh, high-quality produce, at relatively low cost

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 20, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

silence_kit posted:

I don't think almonds & grapes really use THAT much water compared to the other kinds of produce that is grown in the Central Valley of California. What you are proposing is basically not to grow crops in CA. That is one way to reduce water usage in CA. Maybe you can grow produce with lower yields with less water. I guess that's another option which has a less worse side effect.

Coastal Californians LOVE that they have abundant cheap, fresh produce, which is enabled by the local agricultural industry in CA. I think most of the people whose pastime is to complain about farmers paradoxically would be pretty unhappy if CA were to totally shut down its agricultural industry.

The free market doesn't allow for the efficient allocation of resources. As prices for almonds go up more farmers provide almonds and more water is used. I also loathe the emphasis on personal responsibility, so go buy your nut milk and I don't care. I'd prefer if the farmland was organized to provide responsible use of natural resources.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

https://youtube.com/shorts/qqSo1hgssQM?feature=share

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

The free market doesn't allow for the efficient allocation of resources. As prices for almonds go up more farmers provide almonds and more water is used. I also loathe the emphasis on personal responsibility, so go buy your nut milk and I don't care. I'd prefer if the farmland was organized to provide responsible use of natural resources.

not a big fan of free markets, but water is never, ever a free market anywhere

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Drinking coffee with almond milk this morning.

:flipoff:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Drinking coffee with almond milk this morning.

:flipoff:

Same

Because as much poo poo as I talk about it I just don’t do regular milk anymore.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just lol to everyone paying for milks. The true lifehack is getting free dilz milk from a guy in the nearby alleyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alucard posted:

Just lol to everyone paying for milks. The true lifehack is getting free dilz milk from a guy in the nearby alleyway.

Why bother going all the way to the alley when I can make it at home?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
As it was said, each one of us lowly scrubs can't ever hope to do the damage that a single billionaire can do no matter how many lifetimes we'd exist. Enjoy your almond milk and eat the rich.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was going to pop in to get a utility sink I saw there last week, and J was there close to opening time. The parking lot was full and there was way more traffic than normal.

Then I realized what day and week it is. I just drove on by.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
All this arguing about almond milk when it is actually like 2 almonds in the jug and the rest is water, chalk and gum.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

All this arguing about almond milk when it is actually like 2 almonds in the jug and the rest is water, chalk and gum.

Yeah but that just compounds the issue of CA having a lack of water.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

almost bought one of those giant Kirkland Irish Country Cream liquor bottles..... told the person at the register you know what.... nah.....

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If California was really serious about addressing their drought issues they would just buy bottled water at Costco for those thirsty trees.

Also, if you want to argue about the actual problems with water distribution in the American west then start another thread for it, or do it another forum. The loving Costco thread is not the appropriate venue for drought/desertification discussion.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the costco thread is where you reminisce about crankin' it in costco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQP1Iw5tCU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Has anyone tried this?

I am intrigued but also somewhat horrified by the concept of plant based sparkles

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

Has anyone tried this?

I am intrigued but also somewhat horrified by the concept of plant based sparkles

I’d be curious about dem sparkle shits you are sure to get.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dick Fontaine posted:

Has anyone tried this?

Is this that rainbow fentanyl that the kids are all into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Dick Fontaine posted:

Has anyone tried this?

Probably just something like this:
https://www.wilton.com/white-sparkling-sugars-8-ounces/191010102.html

Sugar is plant based. It's a really dumb unregulated term like natural that makes people assume it's healthy or somehow better for them. Oreos are plant based as they're vegan, but it sure as hell doesn't make them healthy.