Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hang on is this doable?

It is for everything EXCEPT for the Nintendo DS emulators. Apparently the two big ones just straight up don't have microphone support (you can hit a button to generate a static noise but that's it), but that's an emulator problem and not a Deck one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mario 1 run where the jump button is mapped to "yell"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Playthrough of some RPG where to press the button to talk to people you have to actually say "Hello" out loud IRL

e: to advance dialogue after it starts you have to say "really?" or "mm-hmm" or "tell me more!"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Done that with Skyrim voice control mods. It kinda works, sort of like reading from a script. Mostly useful for dragon shouts though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Is it the launcher settings maybe? I've had some games start from the 'run when installed' option and then never again from the desktop/shortcut and not known how to reproduce it.

I'm not sure, I just uninstalled it rather than tinkering about (it's 80GB so I'm not in any rush to download it again either).

The game did launch though. The initial cut scenes and all that started, it was just when it tried to transition from them to the games menu that it crashed.

IIRC the menu had graphic features like character models and stuff so maybe there was some issue with the it loading that kinda stuff instead of just playing the video files.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sigher posted:

I yell into the Deck to issue commands and play my games like Seaman.

That's awesome I didn't know the emulators had mic support.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried the new pokom games on Deck yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Has anyone tried the new pokom games on Deck yet

Only Ryujinx supported it at release and it had a bunch of its own issues.

I’m really curious to see if they can get it running better than it does on the Switch. It may not be a high bar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does anyone know how to have the battery and time displayed while games are running, like the annoying fps counter I forgot to turn off? I'm tired of fat fingerling the steam button just to check the time/battery.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Panfilo posted:

Does anyone know how to have the battery and time displayed while games are running, like the annoying fps counter I forgot to turn off? I'm tired of fat fingerling the steam button just to check the time/battery.

Performance overlay level 2 will add the battery level and estimated time remaining to that annoying FPS counter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Panfilo posted:

Time for you to get a watch :rimshot:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m really curious to see if they can get it running better than it does on the Switch. It may not be a high bar.

I've heard multiple people say the emulator runs better than the Switch does. I've been playing Scarlet on my Switch since release and honestly, it's SO janky that the emulator running better does not surprise me at all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yuzu is fixed now (including emudeck) if you update.

Performance is still pretty poor but that's mostly a game issue. You will need to do some heavy tweaking of both the emulator settings as well as deck performance settings, but it actually does run better than the switch version overall.

e: honestly just play temtem instead :)

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
64GB Steam Deck is back on reserve for shipping in Q1 2023 in US store.

The remaining models have 1-2 week shipping lead times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

64GB Steam Deck is back on reserve for shipping in Q1 2023 in US store.

The remaining models have 1-2 week shipping lead times.

I’m guessing some people are getting a deck for Christmas

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of, thinking of getting myself a Deck for Christmas. How hard is to swap the SSD/will I notice if I don't actually do so and just buy a huge fuckoff SD card? As far as I can tell there's no reason to not just get like a 1 TB SD card instead of a proper SSD, if I'm reading the OP correctly?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is why I told my sister in law when she wanted to order one for my nephew that should order when we discussed in October

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of, thinking of getting myself a Deck for Christmas. How hard is to swap the SSD/will I notice if I don't actually do so and just buy a huge fuckoff SD card? As far as I can tell there's no reason to not just get like a 1 TB SD card instead of a proper SSD, if I'm reading the OP correctly?

I got the 256gb model, because I didn't know when I'd end up getting a separate card. Just this week, I finally got a class 10 Sandisk 256gb miniSD card, and after having to format it right off the bat (seriously, don't try to boot the deck with the card in it without formatting the card first!), I legitimately can't tell the difference. I'm playing through Doom 2016 via its installation on the card, and no complaints. Runs and loads like a dream.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh there are benefits to having an SSD such as install and download speeds.

Honestly it’s not terribly difficult to replace the SSD so if you are comfortable doing it you could just do both or just get a much cheaper 512 card and have a gently caress load of space.

You can’t go wrong either way though if you don’t feel like dicking with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's no real difference between the SD and the SSD. Only thing to keep in mind is that when you install games on the SD, they will still take up some SSD space for reasons so I wouldn't get the 64 GB model unless you're going to swap the drive.

I have a 256 with a 512 SD card in and it feels like plenty of space so I haven't dicked around further. My PC is packed with hard drives so I expected to feel constrained. I can't install literally every game I own??

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm gonna edit in a "what to buy" section soon. My advice is to get the cheapest deck only if you plan to change the internal drive. And only if you don't mind messing with app permissions in desktop mode to get everything reading and writing to the SD card properly. Get the middle one otherwise. People who want the fancy one already know they want the fancy one. I haven't changed my SSD yet but people say it's easy. Seems like very few people have bricked it changing the drive

those who've got decky loader and QT-whatever, is it worth the effort for protondb?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mescal posted:

I'm gonna edit in a "what to buy" section soon. My advice is to get the cheapest deck only if you plan to change the internal drive. And only if you don't mind messing with app permissions in desktop mode to get everything reading and writing to the SD card properly.
well I do mind messing with app permissions, so how hard is it to change the drive if I have, say, a small screwdriver and zero knowledge (I mean I've assembled my own PC, I am just dumb)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mescal posted:

those who've got decky loader and QT-whatever, is it worth the effort for protondb?
ProtonDB badges is one of the best plugins you can get, compatibility ratings direct from the site and also direct links to whatever game page you're looking at.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well I do mind messing with app permissions, so how hard is it to change the drive if I have, say, a small screwdriver and zero knowledge (I mean I've assembled my own PC, I am just dumb)
Probably more than you're willing to deal with. So in your case I'd say get the 256 so you have a nice big main drive then a big SD card as backup.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As far as I can tell there's no reason to not just get like a 1 TB SD card instead of a proper SSD, if I'm reading the OP correctly?
The problem is that games still use internal storage for compatdata and the shader cache, so if you supplement the 64 GB model with a 1 TB SD card, you'll probably run out of internal storage before you can fill up the card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well I do mind messing with app permissions,
You do you, but this isn't really a big deal.

Flatpak apps that need to read your home directory will include that in their permissions manifest, but since the SD card is outside your home directory you just have to explicitly grant permission for it. It's no greater a security risk or anything than just using your home directory (internal storage), so don't get hung up on this particular issue.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

njsykora posted:

Probably more than you're willing to deal with. So in your case I'd say get the 256 so you have a nice big main drive then a big SD card as backup.

I am in the same boat as the op (okay with messing with stuff but also happy to pay money to not have to) and got a 256GB deck with a good 512GB SD card and have not regretted it so far

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You do you, but this isn't really a big deal.

Flatpak apps that need to read your home directory will include that in their permissions manifest, but since the SD card is outside your home directory you just have to explicitly grant permission for it. It's no greater a security risk or anything than just using your home directory (internal storage), so don't get hung up on this particular issue.
Oh, not for security reasons. I'm just very lazy is all. Obviously it's not scary or anything, I would just prefer to spend more money on the mid model and not have to sweat it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The problem is that games still use internal storage for compatdata and the shader cache, so if you supplement the 64 GB model with a 1 TB SD card, you'll probably run out of internal storage before you can fill up the card.

You're able to move shaders to the SD card. I don't know if it's affected my games in any way (it doesn't seem to) but now my 64GB actually has free space.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Someone please explain to me why these shaders that keep getting downloaded don't just overwrite the previous ones or something?

I know what a shader is, generally (code that affects your view in a game without fundamentally changing it, like looking through warped glass, or water), but I don't get the constant downloading of them for literally every game.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Someone please explain to me why these shaders that keep getting downloaded don't just overwrite the previous ones or something?

I know what a shader is, generally (code that affects your view in a game without fundamentally changing it, like looking through warped glass, or water), but I don't get the constant downloading of them for literally every game.

I was under the impression they're just adding them whenever new ones get generated and uploaded, i.e. when people on a Deck play through that portion of the game. So you're not getting all the shaders at once, just slowly adding new ones.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

(massively simplified and probably wrong explanation ahead)

So in a normal PC game the shader is the game telling your GPU "look like this!" And because the game doesn't know your hardware setup your PC records how to do it the first time the game asks so that it can do it faster in future. However, this can cause a momentary stutter in some games. Consoles don't have to worry about this because the hardware configuration is known, so instead of "look like this" the game code can just say "do this".

The Steam Deck having a set hardware configuration allowed Valve to square this circle: as users cache shaders, that information is shared with all other Steam Deck users, who download the cached shaders when they're not playing, so that your hardware can build a complete set of shaders for your game. The problem with this is that you're constantly downloading new shaders as the community's possibility space expands, and that includes many shader combinations that you probably wouldn't run across in a normal playthrough.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my possibility space always expands around the holidays

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Party Boat posted:

(massively simplified and probably wrong explanation ahead)

So in a normal PC game the shader is the game telling your GPU "look like this!" And because the game doesn't know your hardware setup your PC records how to do it the first time the game asks so that it can do it faster in future. However, this can cause a momentary stutter in some games. Consoles don't have to worry about this because the hardware configuration is known, so instead of "look like this" the game code can just say "do this".

The Steam Deck having a set hardware configuration allowed Valve to square this circle: as users cache shaders, that information is shared with all other Steam Deck users, who download the cached shaders when they're not playing, so that your hardware can build a complete set of shaders for your game. The problem with this is that you're constantly downloading new shaders as the community's possibility space expands, and that includes many shader combinations that you probably wouldn't run across in a normal playthrough.

Ok, thank you for this!

Now, in theory, does this mean that eventually, no new shaders will be needed for a given game?

And will removing these (I have the walkthrough to do so) cause me to, next time, only get the latest ones? Like if I've got 1tgb of shaders for example, and I get rid of them, will steam then attempt to redownload everything I got rid of, or just the latest ones?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How is the state of OG Xbox, 360, and PS3 emulation?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

I'm gonna edit in a "what to buy" section soon.
I'll put in the the beginner's guide. Here is the WIP, still not in a great state:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017580

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ok, thank you for this!

Now, in theory, does this mean that eventually, no new shaders will be needed for a given game?

And will removing these (I have the walkthrough to do so) cause me to, next time, only get the latest ones? Like if I've got 1tgb of shaders for example, and I get rid of them, will steam then attempt to redownload everything I got rid of, or just the latest ones?

In theory, that's right - if no one discovers a new shader combination then you shouldn't need to download anything new.

For the second question I have no idea. It feels like there are probably some inefficiencies in how Valve are dealing with shader storage but I don't know if deleting / redownloading them will actually resolve this or if you'll just get the same parcel of shaders back again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

How is the state of OG Xbox, 360, and PS3 emulation?

Xbox is dodgy but some games do run decently, but compatibility and performance of Xemu is spotty in general. MVG did a decent video on it. I wish we had CXBX Reloaded just because its performance is generally better, but it doesn't have a Linux version and doesn't look like anyone's going to try and make it when Xemu seems to have become the dominant emulator. A lot of the games you'd want do run well (though JSRF has some major issues including sound and massive lag when boosting), but you're not going to be able to upscale it at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzN7jXwohk

Xbox 360 emulation is much better, but Xenia doesn't run well under Linux (it won't even install right now even though it's in Emudeck as experimental) so you're going to need a Windows install to really make it work. If you're willing to do that though it works much better than you'd expect. MVG did a video on this one too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDCPUczUiM

PS3 emulation is much more mature than either Xbox system, but it's still iffy when it comes to the big games. A lot of stuff will run, but whether it runs well is going to be dependant on your standards. Dead or Alive 5 is workable locked to 40fps, but most of the smaller PSN games will run perfectly. The problem there is a lot of those games have native PC ports that'll run much better and use less battery. Or have versions on other, easier to emulate systems that are probably more worth playing. It's not much worth the effort to make Outrun Online Arcade work for example when you could just emulate the PS2 version of Coast 2 Coast, or if you weren't an idiot and bought the PC version you can play that instead.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 21, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
How is the only PS3 game that matters, Tokyo Jungle?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

How is the only PS3 game that matters, Tokyo Jungle?
I was about to quote and say "yeah but what about Tokyo Jungle" :hfive:

it's not the only PS3 game that matters (MGS4 exists) but even Split/Second has a PC port on Steam so it sure was the first that came to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the write-up. Much better than I expected. Shame JSRF is anything less than perfect.