Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jesus, it's been six years and you immediately won two Cups. You'll feel much better if you let the affront to hockey that was Mike Johnston not winning a Cup in his 1 1/3 years in Pittsburgh go.

E- check that, 7 years!

Are you kidding, without Johnston there'd have been no Sullivan and probably no Cups. And also he was so spectacularly bad that it was the only time since Therrien that SAS has ever felt sympathy for Penguins fans. Wouldn't trade the memories of the clueless bastard for the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the big bear Bruins jersey. I think I used to have one of those when I was younger. Not sure if I still do but it may be in a closet somewhere

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

th3t00t posted:

How long before Dahlin "loses his love for the game" and gets traded away for pennies on the dollar? And then goes on to win a Norris, Smythe and Cup for his new team the very next season.

Is there some kind of experimental surgery he can hold out for?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yes this was definitely the rookie Swede I thought would break out for the Devils this year

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1594351307892166661

Seems like another great late rounder from big Ray Shero

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Mike Johnston was exceedingly bad and Dan Bylsma is also quite bad otherwise he would have had a decent stint almost anywhere else. Instead he got lit up with a much worse team and canned.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like a lot of coaching is how well you motivate players. Did Lindy Ruff suddenly become a good coach this season? Was he a bad one in previous seasons? I dunno. That Devils team is clearly buying what he's selling this year. Trotz graded out poorly last year, yet was pretty highly regarded in other seasons.

Coaching ability is pretty hard to judge

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like a lot of coaching is how well you motivate players. Did Lindy Ruff suddenly become a good coach this season? Was he a bad one in previous seasons? I dunno. That Devils team is clearly buying what he's selling this year. Trotz graded out poorly last year, yet was pretty highly regarded in other seasons.

I think Lindy is like exactly replacement level. The team is just really good and they seem to like him.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

The Devils were a 54% xGF team last year, but had 45% actual outcomes. That is on the back of the worst sv% in the entire league last year (blah blah all number 5v5). Trotz with the Islanders ranked (eventually) 3rd best in sv% at 5v5 and almost across the board similar numbers to the Rangers with shooting% and xG. Unlike the Rangers, who ended with 51.5% actual goals for, the Isles finished with 49.5% and (more importantly) the distribution of when the team went on a skid and then got hot didn't do them any favors.

IMO Trotz was undone by Lou being old and decrepit and making the roster slower and slower and slower while trading away a top pairing defenseman and replacing him with the shambling remains of Chara. Unlike someone I've written about previously *cough* Hakstol *cough* New Jersey's goaltending didn't appear to be system's based, but more fundamental in the non quantifiables.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Trotz was mostly undone by the team's ludicrously long road trip last fall that they never recovered from.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lindy has always had sort of a run and gun style and the Devils have the perfect team for that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm starting to think that maybe the Panthers overreacted to losing to Tampa a bit.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Imaging looking at Paul Maurice's 24 year coaching career of abject mediocrity or worse and going :hmmyes: I'll have some of that please.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Imaging looking at Paul Maurice's 24 year coaching career of abject mediocrity or worse and going :hmmyes: I'll have some of that please.

He sucks an incredible amount of rear end and I am so glad to be free of him.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps sent McMichael to Hershey. Finally let the kid play a little bit.

I am confident they are eventually going to shoot him into the sun to join the long list of young talent they have given up on prematurely. Forsberg, Stephenson, Siegenthaler. Arguably Vrana, though with his trubs that trade is still a push.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 21, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

I'm starting to think that maybe the Panthers overreacted to losing to Tampa a bit.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1594510765138268160?t=IlhfPLgCseDDMLDmSjfaxQ&s=19

ThisGuyScored.vid

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1594513418996035584?s=46&t=I9FMqLDJKdhMIbJrhfrt7Q

Lmao

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The rink there isn't open until end of December, and they're playing only road games and were still practicing in Seattle. At least they were still there last week. So it's really hilarious timing where Wright doesn't even get to play in Coachella on this "conditioning stint". But it's good that they found a loop hole to get him playing in the AHL. He needs games to get better and just scratching him for 73/82 games is garbage.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

He should be playing 30 minutes a night demolishing losers in Jr not playing 10 minutes a night in the AHL. Unbelievably hilariously bad mismanagement.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Unbelievably hilariously bad mismanagement.

seattlekraken.txt

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Leafs starting Källgren tonight. Honestly, I like it. Not because I think Källgren is good or this is a good matchup, but from the last few years one of the things I've really wanted from the Leafs is more games of "gently caress it, we'll rest our rickety starters even if the backup sucks rear end."

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

He should be playing 30 minutes a night demolishing losers in Jr not playing 10 minutes a night in the AHL. Unbelievably hilariously bad mismanagement.

Why is he only going to get 10 minutes in AHL and why would any number of minutes beating up 16 year olds be better?

The whole situation is frustrating but it doesn't seem like there is an obvious right answer to what to do with him.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Because when you play 30 minutes a night annihilating 17-18 year olds you improve on keeping the puck from 1, 2, and even 3 players making sick dangles and then a pass to the open player to score a slam dunk goal. The goal is to develop a top tier offensive player. That is achieved by having them be the big fish in a small pond playing every situation and trying everything possible to improve their skills in an environment they can be dominant.

Putting Wright in the AHL, a league full of seasoned professionals from up and down the ranks, will mean that the when Shane tries to dangle there is a reasonable likelihood Shane gets bodied, turns the puck over, and scored on. That is because he's playing against mid 20s players that have been around the block, played in JR or the NCAA it even touched the NHL. They aren't push overs that are also learning as they go. You also are going to have that AHL coaching staff screaming at Wright to make the simple plays and not turn the puck over because that's dangerous. The AHL is where you go to make bottom 6er PKing types. Not offensive dynamos.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Why is he only going to get 10 minutes in AHL and why would any number of minutes beating up 16 year olds be better?

The whole situation is frustrating but it doesn't seem like there is an obvious right answer to what to do with him.

He can only stay in the AHL for a couple of weeks at which point he either has to go back to juniors or stay with the big team. It's part of the deal the NHL has with the CHL to let players out of their contracts early to sign with the NHL. Guys under 20 either make the big team or have to go back.

Technically the league has similar agreements with European leagues but it doesn't come up as often since guys generally don't come over until they have a good chance at cracking the roster or are older so the age requirements don't apply. Also I know Sweden has an expedition where 1st round picks can play in the AHL at any age, but anyone else has to be sent back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Going to the devils game tonight cause I want to see McDavid. I apologize in advance for them losing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Because when you play 30 minutes a night annihilating 17-18 year olds you improve on keeping the puck from 1, 2, and even 3 players making sick dangles and then a pass to the open player to score a slam dunk goal. The goal is to develop a top tier offensive player. That is achieved by having them be the big fish in a small pond playing every situation and trying everything possible to improve their skills in an environment they can be dominant.

Putting Wright in the AHL, a league full of seasoned professionals from up and down the ranks, will mean that the when Shane tries to dangle there is a reasonable likelihood Shane gets bodied, turns the puck over, and scored on. That is because he's playing against mid 20s players that have been around the block, played in JR or the NCAA it even touched the NHL. They aren't push overs that are also learning as they go. You also are going to have that AHL coaching staff screaming at Wright to make the simple plays and not turn the puck over because that's dangerous. The AHL is where you go to make bottom 6er PKing types. Not offensive dynamos.

Did Wright get his poo poo kicked in playing 4th line or whatever for the Kraken? Or are they just trying really hard not to send him back to the CHL?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't watched Wright but the two things I look for when judging prospects trying to make the jump to the NHL are physical maturity and their preparedness for NHL speed.

Pierre Olivier-Joseph is a good example of a guy who was physically ready for NHL play to start this season but was not yet ready for NHL speed. But the Pens let him struggle through it and now he's pretty much adjusted to NHL speed and is playing really well.

To me you send the prospect down if they aren't physically ready. NHL speed can be adjusted to by getting a lot of NHL games, but there's nothing in the short term you can do to make a prospect more physically ready. That just takes age/time and training.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah Wright should be doing 15 a night in the NHL right now. Although by refusing to play him in Hakstol's amateurish system they're probably doing him a favor.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Putting a top prospect in the box every night then letting him like 4th line minutes once a month is just how it's done these days.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
McTavish got a single period centering the ducks' second line and it pisses me of so much how Eakins is letting him rot on the fourth line.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Arivia posted:

Did Wright get his poo poo kicked in playing 4th line or whatever for the Kraken? Or are they just trying really hard not to send him back to the CHL?

i read apparently both wright and the kraken don't like what is happening in kingston for some reason? but he has a ntc until january 1 so they're kind of stuck

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Now we know why McMichael went to Hershey, Oshie is back.

https://twitter.com/TomGulittiNHL/status/1594729426805309442?s=20&t=A5Q11Qo3S7xzcaHdDVefjQ

https://twitter.com/Emily_Longtin/status/1594728061748092932

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Joe Snively have to play LD to crack the lineup?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I give it 5 games until Oshie is injured again. I love the dude but he plays way too physical of a game for how frail his body is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I give it 5 games until Oshie is injured again. I love the dude but he plays way too physical of a game for how frail his body is.

I’m going 3. Love him to death but he’s made of glass now.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1594766182728757248?s=46&t=nsweX32N2MZYr7om9a5Fsg

What is the point of sports media if not a single person challenged this statement with “aren’t you in 31st place?”

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Maybe that's their identity?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A buddy of mine used to live in columbus, and i went t oa few games there over the years. We had fun getting drunk and hollering "boom goes the cannon" annoyingly loud after a goal.

With that said, goddamn the wings looked great saturday night and continue their trend of being Fun to Watch.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Every time Columbus and Florida play, it reminds me to check The Ten Million Dollar Man's stats for the year.

(4-5-1 3.62/.888)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Going to the devils game tonight cause I want to see McDavid. I apologize in advance for them losing.

Watching him and Leon live is ridiculous. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the Stars can beat or take Colorado to OT tonight my pants might require a changing