Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

You can't park there, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zerg Mans posted:

You can't park there, mate

Still one of my favorites

https://youtu.be/SumXQYBm84I

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Norton posted:

as a kid I was allowed to roam around the neighborhoods and bike anywhere within a couple miles of our house, starting really young, like age 6. we played games and hung around in the woods with our little group of friends doing normal kid stuff, we just had to be home for dinner. that sort of freedom is now so rare in the suburbs it has a special name: "free-range parenting".

i'm not really sure what changed, but in basically one generation the parents all decided to shelter their children from the world and just sign them up for organized sports and after school programs instead of letting them organically play football at the park or in the street like we used to.

i see a lot of kids going to the school bus stops, but besides that I never see them do anything outdoors and they certainly don't hang out in large groups biking around or playing like we did. kinda creeps me out and makes me feel really old

"i'm not really sure what changed" it was cars op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

bro we're 40, not 400.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

social media made it so that people could be aware of every single bad thing happening in their community all at once

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Smythe posted:

bro we're 40, not 400.

lol it was cars

when i was a kid there wasn't a gaping canyon filled with hellfire and screams 20' from my front door but there is now

i could take like a 20 mile bikeride in the afternoon on quiet roads. they were tree-lined, narrow and winding, preventing anyone from going very fast on them.

now all the trees have been cut down and the hillside has been blasted to straighten and widen the road and cars are doing 65 in a 30. i sure as poo poo wouldn't bike on that road, much less let my own kids use it.

"kids these days" people can fuckoff directly into their garage and meditate in their truck until they achieve enlightenment.

Mr. Sharps posted:

social media made it so that people could be aware of every single bad thing happening in their community all at once

social media wasn't around when all these assholes fled to the suburbs in the first place, all that they needed was a paid black actor pushing a baby carriage and "oh god this neighborhood is going to poo poo, we gotta get out of here."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i agree that cars are bigger, faster, and we've further tailored our urban environments so suit them, however, i don't think its entirely cars. i grew up in urban los angeles and rode bikes all around with my friends, all around griffith park, down around in hollywood, etc. traffic was always bad here. dont see that much no more. some of my friends kids are getting around the age when we did that poo poo and i do not think they do. i think it is a broader social change. i also agree that social media plays a major role. people install poo poo like citizen and start to get seriously afraid of their communities.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cowboy beepboop posted:

I didn't go anywhere as a kid, because I didn't want to walk three miles and along a busy stroad to rent a movie or whatever. Cars suck.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I've said for a while that I'd welcome a return to the cars of the 50s and 60s: slow acceleration, lovely brakes, god-awful handling, and equally dangerous to the occupant as they were to the public. It'd hopefully make people pay more attention.

The drunkenness and the cell phones balance out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Norton posted:

one time when i was like 13 years old my buddy and i rode our bikes to the neighborhood 24/7 walmart at around 1am. it was a well lit area with side walks the entire way.

for some reason the cops were called on us. 1 cop showed up and called in loving backup while he detained us in front of walmart for the crime of riding our bikes at night. there were plenty of other people walking past us as it happened, using the store like normal people, they had just arrived via car so it was ok for them to be there.

at first they said it was because we didn't have lights on our bikes, which we did have just not both front and back lights, but we said ok no problem we will just buy some lights inside this walmart we were going to go inside anyway and they said ACTUALLY there have been some thefts in the area and we don't want you to get suspected so you need to leave immediately (????) so we are calling your parents IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

my buddy's dad was so pissed at us. driving home he was speeding and absolutely destroyed a possum chillin in the road. rip lil guy, car culture takes so much from us :(

Might actually be cop culture more at fault here but are they really that different

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

There is a lot of overlap between cop and car brain.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
In 1980 there were about 650 cars per 1000 people in the us. In 2020 that was up to 880.
With population growth that’s double the cars on the roads

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

spckr posted:

In 1980 there were about 650 cars per 1000 people in the us. In 2020 that was up to 880.
With population growth that’s double the cars on the roads

That's only true if you measure in number of cars. In weight, it's at least triple.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had to drive today and the only car left at the (supermarket) rental place was a modern CUV. it has zero extra utility over a Clio and the sightlines are absolutely awful. The rear window is like looking through a letterbox

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BonHair posted:

and also me not having a cult membership card.

Do you mean "driver's license" because lmfao

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

Had to drive today and the only car left at the (supermarket) rental place was a modern CUV. it has zero extra utility over a Clio and the sightlines are absolutely awful. The rear window is like looking through a letterbox

I've never owned a car built in the 21st century - they've all been built before the era when pillars got thick, waistlines got high and windows got tiny.

But my inlaws have a 2017 Kia Proceed wagon - a perfectly sensible car and one of the few mid-size five-seat estate cars that hasn't become a crossover or CUV. But it's like driving a pillbox, with a really tall waistline, very thick and steeply-raked windscreen pillars, what feels like three feet of plastic between the dashboard and the windscreen and a tiny rear screen so looking in the rear view mirror is like looking the wrong way through a telescope. It has a rear parking camera, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot monitors in the wing mirrors and you really need them since it's almost impossible to reverse-park it just using your own visibility and sense of space. It's the only car I've driven that makes me anxious and uneasy behind the wheel because it's really like driving with blinkers on. And I've driven big long-wheelbase panel vans on delivery runs in city centres.

It makes me wonder what portion of the dithery, unthinking, selfish driving that seems to be getting worse and worse, and the increasing portion of people who say that driving gives them stress and anxiety, is because of the (lack of) visibility and proprioception in modern cars. And such people being encouraged to 'solve' the fact that driving makes them nervous by buying an even bigger, chunkier car.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1594337124676825089?s=20&t=qj5n__9bBbpp29ht8y0Zrw

Goddamn. GOD loving drat. I want that so bad.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

that seems all right. in turkey it’s based on engine displacement but I don’t even know what that is; I’d rather see smaller car not smaller engine !

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
ty thread, for introducing the word "killyoumobile" to my vocabulary

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

that seems all right. in turkey it’s based on engine displacement but I don’t even know what that is; I’d rather see smaller car not smaller engine !

smaller engine is also good though. Can we see both? that would own

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Getting and keeping a driver's license is an admission that personal cars have a place in society. That is a harmful shared superstition, which qualifies as a cult imo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BonHair posted:

Getting and keeping a driver's license is an admission that personal cars have a place in society. That is a harmful shared superstition, which qualifies as a cult imo.

it’s so hosed that I have to go to the department of licensing and get my picture taken with a bunch of drivers for a state ID card.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

limiting engine size to the point where brodozers couldn’t reach highway speeds would be funny as hell and save thousands of lives a year

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Clark Nova posted:

limiting engine size to the point where brodozers couldn’t reach highway speeds would be funny as hell and save thousands of lives a year

apparently “95% of new cars in Turkey have an engine displacement of 1.6L or below.” would that be enough?

Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Why bother? Life has no value in America.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Latest war on cars features Dan Savage. It was interesting listing to hear about bike advocacy from the point of view from somebody who also was involved with queer advocacy.
https://thewaroncars.org/2022/11/15/make-love-not-cars-with-dan-savage/

Also I had a stupid bad idea the other day:
Instead of speed limits we should have kinetic energy limits. For example a 200lb bike & rider combo should be allowed to go 80mph, but a 4000lb car would be limited to 18mph.
That new 10000lb hummer EV? 12MPH.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I enjoyed this list of some of the worst bike lanes on the planet. Some you can't even fully blame on car brain.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...=socialflowTWCD

quote:

As reported by Tire Meets Road, this 2022 Civic sedan for sale at a dealership in Dallas, Texas, has clocked an unbelievable 248,740 miles. The more you think about it, the more inconceivable it sounds. It's an average of over 600 miles per day. How can anyone drive that much?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

put it on a dyno and run it constantly

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Listed for $17,899. lmfao

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1594761681435037696?s=20&t=eQ8aSG8qIM9unLOjf3n_BQ

Apr 7, 2003

Musta been a hot sale! Yowza

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If only there was something we could have done to prevent this senseless act of violence.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

lmabo yes let's improve traffic safety by framing it as an issue of etiquette rather than just enforcing the laws that are literally described in the article

yahoo finance articles, ladies and gentlemen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:qq:tunnel snakes rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU