Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lum_ posted:

Russia denied it but after the Soviet collapse their war plans were released which spelled out they also planned on moving straight to nuclear release).

To expand on this, Soviet planning seemed to hinge completely on the idea that if they only nuked countries that didn't have any nukes themselves, they wouldn't get nuked back.

The 7 days to the Rhine plan started by nuking Vienna, the capital of neutral Austria, killing millions to hopefully scare the Austrian army to not participate in futher hostilities and to allow Soviet troops to pass. This would then be followed up with counterforce nuclear strikes on NATO West Germany, Italy and Denmark, to take out their military capability before they had time to form up. All the while the Soviets would be invading in relatively tight, concentrated groups, which would be very vulnerable to nuclear counterattack, to say nothing about their logistics. The calculus really was that so long as no bombs land on France, UK or US territory or forces, they wouldn't respond in hopes of preventing nuclear attacks on them directly.

A Bomber Harris quote would go well here, because the entire reason the NATO nuclear sharing arrangement existed was just this situation. About a hour after the first nuke landed on W.Germany, Russian spearheads would start going up in nuclear fireballs, leading to :stonk: faces for all Soviet generals and probably full-scale nuclear war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

To expand on this, Soviet planning seemed to hinge completely on the idea that if they only nuked countries that didn't have any nukes themselves, they wouldn't get nuked back.

The 7 days to the Rhine plan started by nuking Vienna, the capital of neutral Austria, killing millions to hopefully scare the Austrian army to not participate in futher hostilities and to allow Soviet troops to pass. This would then be followed up with counterforce nuclear strikes on NATO West Germany, Italy and Denmark, to take out their military capability before they had time to form up. All the while the Soviets would be invading in relatively tight, concentrated groups, which would be very vulnerable to nuclear counterattack, to say nothing about their logistics. The calculus really was that so long as no bombs land on France, UK or US territory or forces, they wouldn't respond in hopes of preventing nuclear attacks on them directly.

A Bomber Harris quote would go well here, because the entire reason the NATO nuclear sharing arrangement existed was just this situation. About a hour after the first nuke landed on W.Germany, Russian spearheads would start going up in nuclear fireballs, leading to :stonk: faces for all Soviet generals and probably full-scale nuclear war.

Don't forget most of this would be happening in Poland. The Soviets fully expected Poland would be a nuclear charnel house after they nuked West Germany.

Also, the point of the plan I love the most was they fully expected resistance from nuked cities, so they'd ordered Czechoslovakian and Hungarian infantry divisions to secure them while the Russians rushed to the Rhine. It's clear looking at Ukraine they're still doing the same racist meat grinder planning, except with the lesser Russian oblasts instead of the rest of the Warsaw Pact.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Starting December 1, Russian FSB will prohibit distribution of various types of information related to war beyond classified information.

https://rg.ru/documents/2022/11/18/fsb-prikaz547-site-dok.html
The document approves the list of information 'which, if obtained by foreign sources, may be used against the security of the Russian Federation'. The list is very long and very vague. Some selected points:

1. Information on assessment and forecasts of military-political, strategic (operational) situation.

11. Information on the needs of troops, military formations and organisations that participate in the development, production, testing, installation, assembly, maintenance, repair and disposal of weapons, military and special equipment, including robotic complexes.

12. Information on logistical and financial support of troops, military formations and organisations.

14. Information on the observance of lawfulness and the moral and psychological climate in the armed forces, military formations and bodies.

And it goes on and on. Even with the most charitable reading, I don't see how anything that is not the official Russian army brief by Konashenkov can be openly discussed full stop. Obviously, not going to apply to state propaganda, for reasons, but looks like Z-oriented military vloggers and bloggers can now be easily arrested if they try to criticise Russian military command out of turn.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean at this point even Prigozhin, Kadyrov, and the cast of Rossiya 1(and the above mentioned telegram generals) have broken the letter of any number of such laws. Talking poo poo about another branch must be like drinking from the same cocktail punchbowl just in case

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Being able to selectively apply this sort of thing to a broad list of potential targets is very much a feature to those promulgating this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Germany is proudly investing in Eastern Poland:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1594679906302296064

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty much everyone expected the conflict to be relatively short but extremely bloody. For example, the Air Force expected the entire A-10 fleet to be wiped out within two weeks.

I'll never forget one of my professor's descriptions of his mission as an air defense company commander in the 1980s. "On day 1 we would drive to the end of the air strip and setup. Any remnants that could move 2 days later would be re-designated as a light truck company."

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The uncharacteristically swift and enthusiastic German efforts to provide air defense and additional jets to eastern Poland do lead me think that regardless of the official explanation about the missile hitting that Polish grain facility, it is not inconceivable that it was aimed at the EU/Ukraine energy infrastructure connections (on either side of the border).

We shouldn't forget that the Druzhba pipeline (into Hungary) also mysteriously stopped flowing during the same timeframe of this bombardment - and Orban was also uncharacteristically upset at the general situation. At the very least, it looks like Germany wants to help make really sure that the energy connections into the EU are not disrupted or disconnected. As I understand it Ukraine has a highly decentralized energy infrastructure, so it is not impossible that large swathes of Ukraine could be struggling with power while western Ukraine could have a surplus of energy that can only go west and not east due to disrupted power infrastructure.

Norway just provided Ukraine with a big cheque for the purchase of gas. As both a producer and importer of natural gas, Ukraine can use this liquidity to keep their economy running (Naftogaz is the biggest taxpayer in Ukraine), and an active Ukrainian energy sector helps stabilize the entire European energy net. Especially as Russian strikes seem to hit distribution and power stations rather than the production facilities. Keeping the Ukrainian energy net running is a huge economic boon to the EU - even if it will periodically increase the cost of energy in the EU, I strongly suspect the effect as a whole is to reduce the energy costs and also reduce the risk of German industry having to shut down production due to shortages.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/norway-fund-ukraine-gas-procurement-with-195-mln-aid-2022-11-21/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I don't know that it was deliberately aimed at Poland but I can definitely see them aiming at something critical as close to the border as possible in that characteristic 'I'm not touching you and anyway what're you going to do about it' teenage bully Russian way. Looks like Germany at least is realizing you cannot give Russia an inch or the benefit of the doubt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is there a legal process in Poland that would be similar to a public inquiry in the U.K.? I’m wondering about the chances/timelines where the government of Poland could begin communicating their findings.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tuna-Fish posted:

There are some videos on YouTube about this plan, e.g.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvMm4Uh3HPs

It's mind-bogglingly crazy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

7 Days to the Rhine wasn't an official "Its this. We will do it like this. We will win WW3 this way." type thing, IIRC. Its somehow become the defacto plan for what the Soviets would have done, but there are many others. It just comes up alot because its loving dumb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Every possible ww3 battle plan was really dumb

They made a documentary about that back in 1983. It launched Matthew Brodericks career!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

7 Days to the Rhine wasn't an official "Its this. We will do it like this. We will win WW3 this way." type thing, IIRC. Its somehow become the defacto plan for what the Soviets would have done, but there are many others. It just comes up alot because its loving dumb.

It was pretty official in that it was a Soviet staff plan. The Polish government declassified it as part of the post-communist "look what the Russians had in store for Poland" display (since the plan effectively assumed Poland would be a nuclear wasteland on day 1). IIRC the Czech government also declassified its parts of it.

It wasn't any dumber than any other conventional war plan of the time, all of which would have been obsolete ten minutes after the first nuclear impact.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Ya any war between nuclear powers that even smells of annexation is going nuclear day one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya any war between nuclear powers that even smells of annexation is going nuclear day one.

*taps the sign*

sznurowadlo
Aug 20, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Is there a legal process in Poland that would be similar to a public inquiry in the U.K.? I’m wondering about the chances/timelines where the government of Poland could begin communicating their findings.

There will not be a public inquiry into that matter. Not until the end of the war, change of government in Poland and few more years to be certain that there is no outlook for escalation.

The information here is pretty much mixed regarding cause of explosion i.e. it could have been Ukrainian air defense missile or it was Russian missile either aimed at Ukraine or Poland. The latter hipotesis is quite dangerous for obvious reasons.

Summing up no public hearing in the foreseeable future.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sznurowadlo posted:

There will not be a public inquiry into that matter. Not until the end of the war, change of government in Poland and few more years to be certain that there is no outlook for escalation.

The information here is pretty much mixed regarding cause of explosion i.e. it could have been Ukrainian air defense missile or it was Russian missile either aimed at Ukraine or Poland. The latter hipotesis is quite dangerous for obvious reasons.

Summing up no public hearing in the foreseeable future.

Understood, thank you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1594763517625868293

Kinburn operation now happening in earnest, according to Kyiv Independent.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

I don't think it is too hypothetical or hyperbolic to posit that regarding the missile incident what will be the official story is not what occurred, but what the NATO countries want to have as the official story. Those two may intersect partially or entirely, but still, the actual facts are for the history books, not the current situation.

I think many, including myself, forgot in the initial buzz that the involved parties - Poland, NATO, the US - do not need an alibi/excuse/strong reason to intervene. If that is what they wanted, they could do that, and with a wide variety of reasons to pick up from as the official explanation. The fact that they haven't intervened shows us they do not want to do so. A missile killing 2 Polish citizens does not change that - even if it was an entirely willful strike.

So as rational actors, and from the behavior of NATO countries they actually have been quite clearly rational, they would always choose a cover-up in the event the incident had a Russian origin. So it is not surprising that the official explanation was as it was - especially as the scene of the incident is under full Polish/NATO control. And again it may be fully or partially true - I'm not speculating on what actually happened, but rather pointing out that is irrelevant what actually happened.

This is also the sentiment echoed by numerous commentators and analysts. NATO has nothing to gain from being truthful if it was a Russian strike - be it errant or intentional.

However, the follow-up actions of NATO are of interest - and here we see a strong move towards securing the (energy) infrastructure of Ukraine and the airspace at the Polish borders. That tells me that NATO considers the Ukrainian energy infrastructure of prime importance - there is still talk about providing Ukraine with the weapons they need to defeat Russia, reclaim lost territory, resist further offensives, etc. But there is an increased focus on infrastructure security. I would not be surprised to see this become a prime theater for the war going into winter. And incidentally the nuclear power plant at Enerhodar is again the focus of brinkmanship and accusations.

I think the 'energy war' will be a key feature of this winter, as can be seen from recent news already:

https://www.euronews.com/2022/11/17/how-russian-strikes-on-ukraine-heighten-moldovas-energy-crisis
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/16/russian-attacks-on-ukriane-energy-systems-00067750
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-19/france-is-losing-its-race-to-fix-the-reactors-europe-needs
https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20221121-live-iaea-team-set-to-inspect-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-after-madness-of-attacks

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Maybe they see that Russia is pulling back enough to take advantage. There's been reports that troops have been moving to the Luhansk front, probably because it's been Russia's only "success" since like, March.

Also, Canadian's can now buy "Ukrainian Sovereignty Bonds":

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2022/11/ukraine-sovereignty-bond-now-available-for-canadians-to-purchase.html

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The representative of the German MoD said that this deal is at the stage of "we offered and they were receptive". There is no deal yet, not even real details. So there's a very real possibility it'll end up like the PzH 2000 maintenance facility deal.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I wonder if this is another set of mind games/feints/smokescreens.

An actual push in earnest across the Dnipro at this point seems very unwise from a strategic/logistics standpoint.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spankmeister posted:

It still can't be particularly major in and of itself, because Ukraine can't supply the area in significant amounts.

I'm still convinced the point is to annoy Russia enough that they respond - a shiny thing to get Russia's attention while they get ready to attack somewhere else. Like Orkhiv, to make a dash for Tokmak and Melitopol.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

It still can't be particularly major in and of itself, because Ukraine can't supply the area in significant amounts.

I'm still convinced the point is to annoy Russia enough that they respond - a shiny thing to get Russia's attention while they get ready to attack somewhere else. Like Orkhiv, to make a dash for Tokmak and Melitopol.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tendar/status/1594745310395383816

It looks like Ukraine is trying to keep Russia honest and prevent them from shifting too many troops from the front, at the least.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lum_ posted:

It was pretty official in that it was a Soviet staff plan. The Polish government declassified it as part of the post-communist "look what the Russians had in store for Poland" display (since the plan effectively assumed Poland would be a nuclear wasteland on day 1). IIRC the Czech government also declassified its parts of it.

It wasn't any dumber than any other conventional war plan of the time, all of which would have been obsolete ten minutes after the first nuclear impact.

"Conventional war plan" being ones not intended for nuclear war? Those seem a lot less dumb than "fire nukes everywhere and hope that the other side doesn't launch any in return".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Russian ultranationalists are crying about supposed rumors that Putin surrended the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant back to Ukraine... https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1594728632551084032?t=wIN6nAd9r63tqvAqao7aCQ&s=19

Which is taking a lot of people by surprise because Ukraine hasn't begun moving into the Zaporizhzhia region just yet. It's thought Prigozhin is inventing strawmen that Putin can't fight.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

The representative of the German MoD said that this deal is at the stage of "we offered and they were receptive". There is no deal yet, not even real details. So there's a very real possibility it'll end up like the PzH 2000 maintenance facility deal.

The one that exists and is operating in Lithuania, or the one just now announced to be set up in Slovakia?

(Apparently they're already keeping one PzH 2000 dismantled in the Lithuanian facility due to a lack of spare parts from Germany. That, and the contract to make 100 more for Ukraine taking multiple years to complete is just :lol: Our MIC is the slowest on the planet, apparently.)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The one that was supposed to be in Poland, but Poland insisted on complete technology transfer of the entire thing to Polish companies, yes. That's why it's not in Poland.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Libluini posted:

The one that exists and is operating in Lithuania, or the one just now announced to be set up in Slovakia?

(Apparently they're already keeping one PzH 2000 dismantled in the Lithuanian facility due to a lack of spare parts from Germany. That, and the contract to make 100 more for Ukraine taking multiple years to complete is just :lol: Our MIC is the slowest on the planet, apparently.)

I'm sure the US MIC appreciates Germany's...due diligence...in this matter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

The one that was supposed to be in Poland, but Poland insisted on complete technology transfer of the entire thing to Polish companies, yes. That's why it's not in Poland.

:stare: That's one of those demands that are both confusing and stupid, and get more so the more you know about how those things work. Like, you'd imagine the Polish politicians in question would now that this couldn't possibly work because even if the private companies in question are willing to go along with a technology transfer, the new Polish manufacturer would then be forced to buy the parts from German manufacturers. Or I guess, very diligently and carefully replicate large parts of our industry so they can manufacture all the parts themselves.

By which I mean, surely developing your own gun, capable of being supported by our own industry, would be a lot less insane? Especially since the PzH 2000 isn't magic, pretty drat sure Poland already has all the technology it needs to make an equivalent weapon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Developing design, engineering, and manufacturing capabilities around everything to build a modern self-propelled howitzer from scratch is prohibitively expensive. It's a lot easier to start an assembly line to build predesigned part X using known tools A, B, and C that is part of a system, than to design a system from a clean sheet, including widget X-equivalent, test widget X-equivalent as part of the larger system, and then design a way to build widget X-equivalent from scratch.

edit: the way that you can tell that this is generally a better way to do it is that most countries who don't roll their own do it this way for all kinds of complex systems

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, the Krab exists. It's also a mishmash of parts from multiple countries.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OddObserver posted:

Well, the Krab exists. It's also a mishmash of parts from multiple countries.

The Poles got tech transfer agreements similar to the ones they asked for on PzH2000. They got one for the AS-90 turret and I would presume the K-9 chassis as well. The gun I think they buy from the French.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Libluini posted:

:stare: That's one of those demands that are both confusing and stupid, and get more so the more you know about how those things work. Like, you'd imagine the Polish politicians in question would now that this couldn't possibly work because even if the private companies in question are willing to go along with a technology transfer, the new Polish manufacturer would then be forced to buy the parts from German manufacturers. Or I guess, very diligently and carefully replicate large parts of our industry so they can manufacture all the parts themselves.

By which I mean, surely developing your own gun, capable of being supported by our own industry, would be a lot less insane? Especially since the PzH 2000 isn't magic, pretty drat sure Poland already has all the technology it needs to make an equivalent weapon.

PzH has been tech transferred to other European countries already(Italian units have been built by OTO under license) but Poland requesting it at gunpoint is not going to help their case.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I found this article that collates a couple of sources mentioning PZH2000 service center in Poland:

https://www-konflikty-pl.translate.goog/aktualnosci/wiadomosci/remonty-pzh-2000-w-polsce/?_x_tr_sl=pl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

tl;dr lots of bad will and disorganised decisions all around.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Also how would some Polish company service PZH2000 without tech know-how transfer :psyboom: It's either some weirdly translated hot-take or I don't get some point of the discussion.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

RUB/sqm for Moscow (red-green, 20th-80th percentile; blue is the general mean; months are Oct-Jan-Apr-Jul-Oct). The value before and after depends entirely on the value you place in the rouble, and what you feel like is a useful timeline for owning a place in Moscow for you.

Edit: Here's the same plot in USD, since I'm pretty certain that there's a sizeable class of people who'll only sell their stuff in USD if they can help it.

wait, after an initial dip moscow real estate is now at $1k/sqm above prewar levels?

and here i thought i could follow my profs during the late 90s crash and get a nice place in the center for cheap

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

High inflation and uncertainty means people with extra funds search safe haven. It's less likely government will take your extra flat than your cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VSOKUL girl posted:

wait, after an initial dip moscow real estate is now at $1k/sqm above prewar levels?

and here i thought i could follow my profs during the late 90s crash and get a nice place in the center for cheap

There was a demand crash in April and May, when people internalised out that this all is for real, and for a while. Russian government fixed that by subsidising mortgages to as low as literally 0.1% fixed interest rate being offered on new mortgages, which sure is one simple trick how to pump real estate demand, lmao. Principal amount limit on these near-zero mortgages was 12 million RUB, or roughly 45 square metres at peak bubble median price, which is an explicitly conservative framing of the purchasing power. The decline from bubble began basically when Moscow ran out of cheap housing demand, with basically everyone going for it just buying out apartments up to like 70 sqm. For context, plan-type Soviet apartment buildings rarely even have apartments above 50 or so sqm.

https://www.irn.ru/news/147831.html
https://www.irn.ru/news/148390.html

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 22, 2022