Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is the backstory on that? I thought Irsay pressured Reich into benching Ryan?

The local beat writers all seem to agree that Ryan's benching came down from Irsay, though they also maintain it was in a genuine effort to try and spark something on offense and not a cynical move toward tanking. I do question whether the edict would've stood once Ryan was recovered from his shoulder injury, given that the Ehlinger experiment was a pretty clear failure.

The reason Saturday was allowed to put Ryan back in was because Irsay believed he would be able to get the OL playing better and minimize the amount of times Ryan was getting demolished in the backfield and fumbling the ball. So far that does appear to be the case, but that's a low bar to clear from early in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

What is the backstory on that? I thought Irsay pressured Reich into benching Ryan?

Everything sounds like he got pressured into benching Ryan. Especially with how fast Saturday switched back to Ryan.

It's weird that Reich & Pederson were both forced to play bad QBs and that ended up being part of the reason they were both let go.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

To be clear, Reich was getting fired at the end of the season regardless of the QB switch.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I've heard conflicting reports.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

To be clear, Reich was getting fired at the end of the season regardless of the QB switch.

And Pederson walked away because they wouldn't let him name his QB coach as the OC. But a lot of the fan outcry was over putting in Sudfeld, even though it seemingly wasn't his decision.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

On a related note: has it ever happened where a GM got fired and the team promoted someone internally into the spot? Because I feel like Ballard is getting canned after the season, but I generally like our drafting and there are two guys in the room already who have gotten GM interest around the league in Ed Dodds and Morocco Brown that I wouldn't mind seeing move up to the top spot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I haven’t seen anyone say putting in San is why Frank should be fired, he was probably out the door before that

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Don’t forget there was that Florio piece saying the real reason Ryan was benched was because they got spooked about getting stuck holding the bag for his injury guarantee if something serious happened to him. And there was absolutely 0% chance he would play for the Colts again.

Then like one week later he’s back out there :lol:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

On a related note: has it ever happened where a GM got fired and the team promoted someone internally into the spot? Because I feel like Ballard is getting canned after the season, but I generally like our drafting and there are two guys in the room already who have gotten GM interest around the league in Ed Dodds and Morocco Brown that I wouldn't mind seeing move up to the top spot.
I'm sure it's happened a bunch of times. Jets fired Terry Bradway and promoted Mike Tannenbaum. Recently-ish Dolphins fired Dennis Hickey and promoted Chris Grier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Chiefs fired Dorsey and promoted Brett Veach for another fairly recent one. Veach coincidentally was the guy who most wanted to draft Mahomes in the building which might have helped his case, although Mahomes hadn't done anything yet.

e: huh John Dorsey's with the Lions now as a Senior Personnel Excecutive whatever that means. He actually strikes me as a decent guy to have around for a full rebuild which is what the Lions have been staring at (for the last 80 years)

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 21, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ryan was hurt and they wanted to put Ehlinger in to see if they had something with him, and also he's mobile so they didn't want another statue like Foles in there.

I think saying he was starting going forward was to give him a confidence boost and avoid any controversy if he played well and the Ryan benching was just due to injury.

But he couldn't do anything, and when Saturday got in he had full say in who played. Ryan is better, but he's still cooked.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Huh, I guess it's more common than I would've expected. In that case let's do it: fire Ballard, put Brown or Dodds in the top spot, and let them hire their coach

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Relentlessboredomm posted:

it feels like that raiders win both saved josh some heat and dialed it up on Hackett even further

In hindsight it does kind of look like a loser-leaves-town type situation. Maybe Hackett was done for anyway.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hackett should be fired, but firing Hackett doesn't save Paton's job. Instead it pretty much guarantees that Paton is gone as well. Maybe ownership steps in, but there is basically no hope of salvaging this season. For all the talk of Hackett getting fired, there really isn't any inertia to actually do it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fire Denver coach and GM.

Pray that new people can build quickly enough to make use of that awesome defense.

Denver defense still good even after trading Chubb!

Heck, maybe just promote the DC to HC!

Nov 6, 2002

Is there a scenario where Wilson is willing to renegotiate his contract to keep his starting job? Would his ego allow such a thing?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he is going to start kneeling in protest of not being the starter

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pray that new people can build quickly enough to make use of that awesome defense.

Feels a little early for Evero, though I’m sure someone will take a chance on him. But I suspect the Broncos will want to take another stab at finding an offensive guy in the hopes that they can somehow salvage Wilson.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

big coaching candidate name fresh off the presses!

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1594743062022217728?s=20&t=7RetaZ01T55RFjt_A1cd5g

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Honestly kind of surprised he's never been given a shot. He'll be terrible if does but it still surprises me he's never been HC.

Nov 6, 2002

When was the last time teams wanted to poach from the Dolphins coaching staff? The Wannstedt era?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Well if Russell Wilson wants someone familiar ....

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

When was the last time teams wanted to poach from the Dolphins coaching staff? The Wannstedt era?

Been a good bit. I think Frank Smith is most likely to be poached.

This is the first time I've heard Bevell's name. I remember several "lol bevell" posts when he was hired as QB coach because he is not well regarded as an OC. There's really no way to quantify how much he has contributed to Tua's success this year, but I'd be concerned if my team was sniffing around him as, "guy who we can hire to fix our QB!" when you consider the multitude of other contributing factors to Tua's leap forward.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Bevell was a combined 2-7 as interim head coach for the hopeless 2020 Lions and 2021 Jags.

I mean, that's not that bad.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
lmao at Bevell being a "hot name".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what do you suppose jay gruden really does for the wams. critique the offense to team coaches after games? just receive a paycheck from his boy for nothing? this is a guessing game and the winner will receive a prize

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bevell to the Broncos......

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

wandler20 posted:

Bevell to the Broncos......

Does Bevell want the broncos job? He knows wilson and probably knows Wilson is cooked.

Like what hot HC candidate, like bevell, wants to sign up for a franchise QB throwing the way Wilson is this season with no flexibility to get "your guy" because that contract.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Vance Joseph, unless you count the guy(s?) who took lateral moves to get away from Brian Flores

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is there a Derrick Henry in the next draft? I don’t even know what the gently caress Denver does to work around being stuck with Russ’ albatross contract for several more years besides pretend he doesn’t exist.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Docjowles posted:

Is there a Derrick Henry in the next draft? I don’t even know what the gently caress Denver does to work around being stuck with Russ’ albatross contract for several more years besides pretend he doesn’t exist.

Bijan Robinson rules

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bijan Robinson rules

He’s about 3 inches shorter and 30lbs lighter than Henry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bijan Robinson rules

He does, but I really don't want him ruined with this career path. Send him to a nice home on the 49ers or something.

e: The Lions would actually be better than the current Broncos which is saying a bit.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If your team-building strategy relies on finding another player built like Derrick Henry, I've got some bad news for you

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Cavauro posted:

he is going to start kneeling in protest of not being the starter

He'll be doing high knees on the sidelines

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

If your team-building strategy relies on finding another player built like Derrick Henry, I've got some bad news for you

What if my team building strategy is to find the next Tom brady?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

What if my team building strategy is to find the next Tom brady?

An interesting, little-known fact about Tom Brady: he was drafted in the 6th round!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ShakeZula posted:

An interesting, little-known fact about Tom Brady: he was drafted in the 6th round!

Did you know that the first game he played in was the first game after 9/11?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Drew Bledsoe was a controlled collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

Drew Bledsoe was a controlled collapse.

Belichick replaced Pete Carroll…..

my god, how could we have been so blind :stare: