Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Unfortunately there's no video feed.

https://twitter.com/ABL/status/1594209360343097349

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lobster shirt posted:

baseball brings fathers and sons together and i think that's great

I was at the Cubs game on Father's Day with my dad when Willson Contreras had his first MLB plate appearance and hit a dinger. It was special. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8z2205EwHQ

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's fascinating to me that this sport is so wed to the idea of human mistakes being part of the game that creating them is regarded as a super-important skill for at least one position

like no one in the NFL tracks "flopped pass interference calls" or at least that's not a publicly known thing bandied about on broadcasts

What's funny is how valued framing is by teams and how announcers still whine about every single strike that K-zone disagrees with.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am sure it's different segments of the fanbase who believe this but it's funny to see the amount of distance between "framing is a vital, valuable, and cool skill for catchers" and "more than anything else, we need robot umpires"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well they're both technically true its just that if we ever do the second thing it will invalidate the first thing from that moment forward

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Hm the Astros non tendered Josh James. It's a shame, I always thought he had the makings of what Bryan Abreu ended up becoming

I'm sure someone will take a chance on being able to fix a guy who's about to turn 30, throws 99 with a sick slider but has serious control issues

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Hm the Astros non tendered Josh James. It's a shame, I always thought he had the makings of what Bryan Abreu ended up becoming

I'm sure someone will take a chance on being able to fix a guy who's about to turn 30, throws 99 with a sick slider but has serious control issues

I was at his first major league start, he was throwing gas. He'd have flashes of brilliance and his stuff was great but he couldn't stay healthy and he'd have trouble with the zone, as you said. Oh Well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Pussy Boss posted:

I am ready for a month of YANKEES GIANTS BIDDING WAR, followed by the Dodgers giving Judge $400 million and Farhan signing Andrew Benintendi because of his platoon splits

Hot Take: I feel that the largest players in MLB should be on the Giants

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Red posted:

are we going by mass or volume?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

do you suspect a major variation in density?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol Jesus Christ

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm so jacked for the World Baseball Classic

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Red posted:

Monkey Paw posted:

Miguel Sano is a San Francisco Giant

Actual news, Athletic has post-AFL Prospect Chat:

quote:

Here, the result of conversations with several scouts with several big-league organizations, is a rundown of the top 10 they liked … as well as five on whom they couldn’t agree.
Note these aren't "The 10 Best AFL prospects", just ones who generated the most discussion.

quote:

1. Jackson Merrill, SS, Future centerpiece of an Ohtani dealPadres
There used to be competition for the title of Best Padres Prospect, but the mass exodus to Washington in the Juan Soto trade leaves Merrill more or less alone. Good thing for the Padres that he’s one of the best prospects in the game. Though his fall numbers weren’t stunning — a .261/.316/.352 line in 22 games — no player generated as many positive reviews from scouts as the No. 27 pick in the 2021 draft. “Most scouts are salivating over him,” one scout said, “and even the low guys think he’s good.”

In their first extended look at Merrill, who was limited to only 45 games at Low A this year due to a wrist injury, evaluators saw a player with a projectable body and a feel to hit. Only 19, Merrill stands at 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, carrying himself more like a 22-year-old than a teenager. He’ll fill out more, but not in a way that leads scouts to think he’ll have to move off shortstop. At the plate, the left-handed hitter shows signs of good plate discipline, as well as the ability to spray the ball over the field. The power, they think, will come.

It hasn’t yet, and no one’s predicting home run titles for Merrill in the first place. He’ll have to get the ball off the ground more often — Merrill had a 59-percent groundball rate at Low A — but could wind up hitting 15 to 20 homers a year. Put the whole package together, another scout said, and Merrill’s “got a chance to be really, really good.”

2. Edouard Julien, 2B, Twins
Go ahead, take a moment and say the Quebec native’s name. Put your best French accent on it. Eh-dwar Jool-yen. Fun, right? You might get to say it a lot more, because Julien might be headed for a notable big-league career. While no one is saying he was the second-best prospect in the AFL — this is a ranking of guys who turned heads, not a long-term value projection — Julien caught the attention of plenty of scouts.

It’s the on-base, baby. Julien worked 23 walks this fall — one more than he had strikeouts, and two more than he had games played — to get aboard at a .563 clip. That’s long been in the former 18th-rounder’s toolbox, with 98 walks this regular season and 110 the year before. But the 23-year-old offers more than just his eye. He’s capable of hitting the ball hard — “Hit seeds all fall league,” said one scout — and there’s a chance he learns to hit more homers. He had five this fall, although he may need to iron out some kinks in his mechanics to be able to pull the ball for power consistently.

The defense at second is … not so great. Few scouts, if any, think he’ll ever be more than passable at the keystone. Julien tends to double-clutch every throw, and a move to first base could be in his future. But the bat — :siren:which one scout compared to Twins’ breakout star Luis Arraez, “but more selective, more power,”:siren: — will keep him in a lineup, potentially for a lengthy big-league career.
Happy to c/p blurbs on the remainder if folks want

quote:

3. Mason Miller, RHP, Athletics
4. Jeferson Quero, C, Brewers
5. Jordan Walker, OF, Cardinals
6. Heston Kjerstad, OF, Orioles
7. Evan Reifert, RHP, Rays
8. Bryan Woo, RHP, Mariners
9. Nick Gonzales, 2B, Pirates
10. Emmet Sheehan, RHP, Dodgers

5 controversial:

quote:

1. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Rangers
2. Zac Veen, OF, Rockies
3. Henry Davis, C, Pirates
4. Masyn Winn, SS, Cardinals
5. Matt Mervis, 1B, Cubs

1 case of the Times-owned Athletic dutifully playing yankee hype machine:

quote:

Switch-hitting Yankees outfielder Jasson Dominguez posted dismal numbers this fall, but the 19-year-old left evaluators impressed with his skill set.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

do you suspect a major variation in density?

mostly I just want all baseball players' volumes to be measured in 'jugs of milk'.

Bryan Woo rising that quickly is pretty cool. I think he profiles as strictly a 'pen arm in the majors though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

are we going by mass or volume?

Height. You have to be at least 6'6" to play for the Giants.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Bryan Woo rising that quickly is pretty cool. I think he profiles as strictly a 'pen arm in the majors though.
Some scout disagreement but TINSTAAP etc

quote:

Woo hasn’t pitched much this year after going in the sixth round a year ago, having missed half the year after taking a James Wood line drive to the head in extended spring training. His work in the fall league was similarly limited, with just 10 2/3 innings in five outings. (He allowed one run and struck out 16.) But the stuff the 6-2 righty possesses was apparent.

The highlight is a fastball that can run up to 98 mph, although it can sometimes get a little flat and hittable. He also has a slider and changeup that flash average to plus, although both need to become more consistent. His delivery is “nice, easy, effortless,” said one scout, which along with his repertoire gives him a chance to remain a starter.

How good a starter? “He pencils in as a No. 3 or 4 starter for me,” said another evaluator. A third put even more oomph behind his projection. “One of the most under-appreciated pitching prospects in the game,” that scout said. The Reds were rumored to have asked for Woo as part of the Luis Castillo deal. The Mariners, knowing what they have, said no.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like I’ve been hearing the ‘people are impressed with Jasson Dominguez’s skills’ while he’s putting up pretty pedestrian numbers in A ball for years now

Fortunately for him he’s really young still

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like I’ve been hearing the ‘people are impressed with Jasson Dominguez’s skills’ while he’s putting up pretty pedestrian numbers in A ball for years now

Fortunately for him he’s really young still

he's a yankee position player prospect so chances are he's a bust.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

Height. You have to be at least 6'6" to play for the Giants.

That makes me wonder how tall the average baseball player is.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1594740139053432833

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Manny
Arod
Pettitte
Andruw Jones

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I'm a Helton Truther (truth is Helton should be in Hall)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Helton should absolutely be in the HoF

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I don't respect the HoF because many of the most fun players don't make it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I won't theoretically vote for ARod until he gets off TV

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Manny, A-Rod, Pettitte, Rolen, Sheffield, Wagner, Jones, Helton

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I hate that the hall punishes people so much for playing at Coors.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Big sale at Ebbetts Field Flannels: https://www.ebbets.com/collections/all-clearance/sport_baseball

some real cool stuff in there

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Manny, A-Rod, Pettitte, Rolen, Sheffield, Wagner, Jones, Helton

This but also Beltran, who is unlikely to make it of course given his role in the 2017 cheating scandal, but clearly that didn't make his career any different because he was not even that good that year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bobby Abreu is 20th all time in walks.

That should be worth something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Buerhle threw a perfecto

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Buerhle threw a perfecto

He also didn't give up his dog when he got traded to the Blue Jays, which was cool.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Buerhle threw a perfecto

Dallas Braden for the Hall

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Kind of surprised there isn't a pre-existing wing of the hall for every pitcher who has thrown a perfect game.

Even if it's just a summation of the game and a picture, that seems like the cool 'can't tell the history of baseball without it' thing that should be in the hall.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Buehrle should be in the Hall and not just cause of his perfect game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Put him in the hall for taking like 5 seconds between pitches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/NickFrancona/status/1594733829125709826

what

Edit: The only other thing I can find is

https://twitter.com/NickFrancona/status/1103750019293892613

Red fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 21, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

seiferguy posted:

I hate that the hall punishes people so much for playing at Coors.

it just never stops amazing me at how awful the BBWAA is at what they do

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

So the only source is a guy who openly hates Kapler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

camoseven posted:

Big sale at Ebbetts Field Flannels: https://www.ebbets.com/collections/all-clearance/sport_baseball

some real cool stuff in there
ah poo poo they still have Katz caps in all fitted sizes, maybe too good to pass up