Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, Black Emperors! Like the Japanese motorcycle gang!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Or Obama

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OGCjUOISFA

Caspian's Waking Season turns 10 years old today and it still kicks rear end

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And today is the 20th birthday of Mono's One Step More And You Die!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivL9Hd7mn_k

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Stuart Braithwaite has released a memoir, Spaceships Over Glasgow.

Should have been called 'Thank you, cheers' IMHO.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sigur Ros released the new remastered version of ( ) for its 20th anniversary today. It's got 3 bonus tracks as well as alternate studio session recordings of Untitled 6, 7 and 8.

Also I'm seeing Godspeed again on Sunday. I need to listen to God's Pee At State's End again because it's been a while.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I went on a TWDY binge and bough everything of theirs I didn’t have on Bandcamp. It’s bliss.

Seeing We Lost The Sea next month. Can’t wait.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jeherrin posted:

I went on a TWDY binge and bough everything of theirs I didn’t have on Bandcamp. It’s bliss.

I just saw we lost the sea a couple weeks ago and it was a pretty good show. I hadn't listened to them before I bought the ticket to the gig and really enjoyed it live

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We Lost The Sea are planted firmly in the “yeah, that sure sounds like Post-Rock!” camp of Post-Rock bands. It’s hard to have a distinct signature sound when the entire genre is just instrumental, ambient soundscapes with varying levels of dramatic tension. I’ve listened to all their records on YouTube a handful of times and can’t really remember anything standing out one way or the other, but I’d be happy to see them live.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Bust Rodd posted:

We Lost The Sea are planted firmly in the “yeah, that sure sounds like Post-Rock!” camp of Post-Rock bands. It’s hard to have a distinct signature sound when the entire genre is just instrumental, ambient soundscapes with varying levels of dramatic tension. I’ve listened to all their records on YouTube a handful of times and can’t really remember anything standing out one way or the other, but I’d be happy to see them live.

this is how I felt after listening to a couple of their albums and I was happy I saw them live. it wasn't as good as your jakobs or monos, but it was a fun time and worth the 30 Australian dollars for admission

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Jeherrin posted:

A friendly reminder that on the first Friday of every month, the artists on Bandcamp get 100% of the sales revenue. Since being bought out by a corporate entity this year (namely, Epic Games), it's very likely that Bandcamp Friday will be going away (and the usual share for artists will deteriorate), so please take advantage of that while you can. Next one is coming up soon, on Nov 4th.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ofecks posted:

A friendly reminder that on the first Friday of every month, the artists on Bandcamp get 100% of the sales revenue. Since being bought out by a corporate entity this year (namely, Epic Games), it's very likely that Bandcamp Friday will be going away (and the usual share for artists will deteriorate), so please take advantage of that while you can. Next one is coming up soon, on Nov 4th.

I have a large wishlist that gets considerably smaller on the first Friday of every month. I just impulse-buy in between that as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Godspeed again and they loving closed with East Hastings :psyboom: I've been wanting to hear that song live for like 20 years ever since I first heard it in 28 Days Later. That's the song that got me into them. Life = complete.

e: More specifically The Sad Mafioso... section of East Hastings

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 31, 2022

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

God is an Astronaut have just released an album of ambient-ish reworkings.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Rageaholic posted:

I saw Godspeed again and they loving closed with East Hastings :psyboom: I've been wanting to hear that song live for like 20 years ever since I first heard it in 28 Days Later. That's the song that got me into them. Life = complete.

e: More specifically The Sad Mafioso... section of East Hastings

I'm still weirded out that the played in Baton Rouge and not New Orleans, but that may be the best show of theirs I've seen. Kind of kicking myself for skipping the last two times they came through.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Detroit got BBF3 tonight, hot drat

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hi I've never posted in this thread before but I saw Godspeed tonight and they closed with East Hastings and good lord. The projector added a lot to the show, which I didn't expect. Hearing it running behind me during quiet moments made for a really unique experience. Please, if they're coming near you, go see them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spotify recommended me this band called Myrrors and they are loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVLbeH4qHU

they remind me of Hash Jar Tempo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Godspeed announced 5 shows in a row at the Chapel in SF for mid March 2023.

I should! go to all 5 yeah

yeah?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fate Accomplice posted:

yeah?
:bisonyes:

You've gotta make sure you hear East Hastings live. I can't recommend that experience enough to post-rock fans.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

been going through GY!BE’s whole catalogue again lately, and boy have I been overlooking Yanqui UXO for some reason. way better than what I’ve believed it to be for the last, like, seven years

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah Yanqui UXO is very good. I’ve always been mystified by the hate it gets. Whereas I’ve always been slightly lukewarm on Luciferian Towers but the consensus on that one is very strong (admittedly the very end is beautiful and perfect)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yanqui is their best album but it doesn’t have any found sound and that legit threw people off when it came out

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah Yanqui UXO is very good. I’ve always been mystified by the hate it gets. Whereas I’ve always been slightly lukewarm on Luciferian Towers but the consensus on that one is very strong (admittedly the very end is beautiful and perfect)

What are the reasons people dislike it?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I find it a lot more boring than their first two albums

I also don't love any of their post reunion albums all that much, tho luciferian towers is my pick of the bunch

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Weirdly I listen to more post reunion GY!BE. I love all their albums too I just tend to throw one newer stuff.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

ulvir posted:

been going through GY!BE’s whole catalogue again lately, and boy have I been overlooking Yanqui UXO for some reason. way better than what I’ve believed it to be for the last, like, seven years

it's one of my favourites!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Fate Accomplice posted:

yeah?

That's practically more than they played back home in Montreal.

I haven't been to a show since moving to the Bay Area, let alone since the pandémie started, I might well go for this. :hmmyes:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

lazerwolf posted:

Weirdly I listen to more post reunion GY!BE. I love all their albums too I just tend to throw one newer stuff.

I don't think that's too weird. A big part of Godspeed is the instrumental spectacle, and it makes sense that the more time they spend honing it the more impactful it becomes. I'm saying this as somebody who listened to Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antenna to Heaven every morning while I drove to school, but now I listen to Don't Bend, Ascend whenever I'm in the mood for some Emperor. Mladic and We Drift Like Worried Fire are just so powerful that they blow me away every time.

This is also my relationship with Swans actually. I can understand people being more attracted to the grungier '80s era but if you ask me they became a truly great band with The Seer and only got better with each subsequent release.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

finally got around to spinning some stuff off the Ágætis Byrjun deluxe edition and holy god drat is the original speed version of Staralfúr good. it's a lot dryer mix and it's missing some of my favorite bits of that song but it's unbelievably beautiful regardless. the demos are crazy too, it's so weird hearing these songs so stripped back when i'm used to the mind-melting atmosphere of the album versions.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know if this is the thread for it, but can anyone tell me what delineates between Post Rock and Math Rock?

I'm mainly familiar with the former, but my friend sent me a playlist of the latter and it reminded me a lot of it.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

Blue Labrador posted:

I don't know if this is the thread for it, but can anyone tell me what delineates between Post Rock and Math Rock?

I'm mainly familiar with the former, but my friend sent me a playlist of the latter and it reminded me a lot of it.

post-rock is primarily about using rock instruments for textural or otherwise not-traditionally-rock purposes, math rock is typically focused on angular gnarly technical riffs and rhythmic complexity but is still pretty firmly grounded in rock music

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I'm no music theorist but math rock sounds like more constantly shifting time signatures, poly-rhythms, cleaner guitar sound and good vibes, less like background or movie music

I like stuff like Toe or Covet for productivity and sunny day chilling

until someone corrects me I'll consider "Free Hand" by Gentle Giant the first math rock song

Vesi fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 21, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are a lot of post-rock/math rock hybrid bands (e.g. And So I Watch You From Afar) but the easiest way to hear the difference in the genres at their purest form is to listen to an Explosions in the Sky song and then listen to a Hella song.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

My understanding is that Math Rock is infamous for weird-rear end time signatures. Sure, the post-rock I go for has stuff in 7/4 and the like, but it's still pretty groovy. Math Rock is like, the opposite of groovy. It's just really complex and kinda all over the place. My only experience with the genre is with a band called Shiner, because one of its members was in a more pedestrian alternative project I was following at the time (Year of the Rabbit). I listened to The Egg album and I hated it. Caveat: it's just one example of the sub-genre and it was a very long time ago when I heard it, way before I was into the stuff I like now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

This is also my relationship with Swans actually. I can understand people being more attracted to the grungier '80s era but if you ask me they became a truly great band with The Seer and only got better with each subsequent release.

Every release since The Seer was an uncomfortable first listen, quickly growing on me to the point I can just relisten to them over and over.

Except Leaving Meaning, it's just too droney and feels more like a Gira side project than a continuation of Swans in any way. But then I admit I'm not a fan of drone in the first place.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was just getting into Swans when the allegations about Gira surfaced and so I felt a bit uneasy and stopped listening. Did anything come of that? Google doesn’t seem to indicate he was ever charged.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, Black Emperors! Like the Japanese motorcycle gang!!!

I was just looking at this guy’s rap sheet and he was apparently probed or banned over 100 times since 2019. I didn’t even know that was possible?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 21, 2022

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Jan posted:

Except Leaving Meaning, it's just too droney and feels more like a Gira side project than a continuation of Swans in any way. But then I admit I'm not a fan of drone in the first place.
When I was writing this post I forgot about Leaving Meaning. I keep trying to listen to it out of loyalty but it just doesn't register at all emotionally or sonically for me. I'm in no position to tell experienced musicians what they should experiment with but Swans has become one of my favorite bands because of the beautiful merging of heavy aggressive instrumentals with almost hypnotic structure.
Leaving Meaning lacks that identity and character for me and if there is some sort of payoff later in the album that I'm missing, I feel like that's saying a lot because as post rock fan I would imagine I'm able to handle a slow build as long as it culminates in something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

I was just getting into Swans when the allegations about Gira surfaced and so I felt a bit uneasy and stopped listening. Did anything come of that? Google doesn’t seem to indicate he was ever charged.

As with nost cases, there wasn't really anything that you could take to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I have tried to find information about the accusations against Gira multiple times on the internet, and the whole thing is such a mess that I don't know what to believe.

As I understand it, Gira states that he and Grimm were drunk and started having consensual sex when she passed out halfway through. Gira claims that he stopped when he noticed this, while she claims that she woke up to him still on top of her in the act.

Gira's ex-wife weighed in on the situation, claiming that she couldn't believe Gira would do such a thing and accused Grimm of using this as a stunt to prop up her own career. Gira's then current wife Jennifer also called it a slanderous lie and said that Grimm sent many harassing and threatening messages to him which he deleted. She claimed that she was going to present evidence completely exonerating him and showing Grimm was in the wrong but I haven't ever seen that surface.

Meanwhile, other musicians who previously collaborated with Grimm (animal collective, heroes are gang leaders) accused her of having mental health issues and having a history of making dubious and slanderous claims.

On one hand, this could imply that Grimm has a history of lying and never being able to make it stick. But on the other hand, it's not exactly uncommon to hear about music industry people sucking up to abusers and defending them. Not to mention there's the issue with swan's fans having an obvious emotional bias towards Gira, with Grimm having less of a platform. Ultimately, it is so hazy that I can't blame anyone for feeling uncomfortable with listening to Swans and wanting to stand by the accuser when the music industry is so obviously a den for powerful predators.