Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Arist posted:

Pentiment rules

They should have hired scorpiondagger to do their art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh yeah I forgot at the very beginning in the first fight with big boy baby boy, you get killed, and it shows the loading menu and then Thor says something about how you suck and he wants to actually fight you and brings you back to life, which i don’t think ive ever seen in a game before and was a cool way to start the game. It’s not much of a spoiler but if people haven’t played it yet then I don’t want to ruin that because it was genuinely surprising to me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

You should try Arkham Asylum

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Checking some review thumbnails out...

I guess its opposite day in austrailia for thread favorite reviewer.

dunno why people are so crazy about skill up, like he’s fine and all but his reviews are really nothing special or especially insightful?
also the dude is clearly absolutely addicted to lovely superhero movies ,he compared freaking Sonic frontiers to a zack snyder movie lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Augus posted:

dunno why people are so crazy about skill up, like he’s fine and all but his reviews are really nothing special or especially insightful?
also the dude is clearly absolutely addicted to lovely superhero movies ,he compared freaking Sonic frontiers to a zack snyder movie lmao

Are people crazy about him or is it just that every other YouTube is an obnoxious American doing some stupid bit?

I find his weekly digest good because I don't have time to read all the "gaming news" or look at indie games, so a 30 minute rundown I can watch on a flight or whatever is gold.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

Are people crazy about him or is it just that every other YouTube is an obnoxious American doing some stupid bit?

oh okay it’s just the accent, that’s what I thought

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

oh okay it’s just the accent, that’s what I thought

The people he does the podcast with also speak normally and are fine, but only one of them does reviews.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i always want to defend skill up because he gave outer wilds goty three years in a row, but then i remember that i've never actually taken any of his other reviews or takes into consideration before buying a game or whatever the purpose of reviews are, but he generally tends to really like the same kind of games that i like but then also likes a lot of games that i can't get into at all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

idk he just kinda falls perfectly in line with the generic popular opinion 99% of the time, only occasionally diverging to say something show-stoppingly stupid. might as well just watch an ign or GameStop review and save yourself 25 minutes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

idk he just kinda falls perfectly in line with the generic popular opinion 99% of the time, only occasionally diverging to say something show-stoppingly stupid. might as well just watch an ign or GameStop review and save yourself 25 minutes

Those channels are where the screaming "HAY GUYZ" Americans live

If you like a presentation that mirrors E news or whatever go ahead I suppose. Anyway don't watch the reviewer you don't like.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

Those channels are where the screaming "HAY GUYZ" Americans live

If you like a presentation that mirrors E news or whatever go ahead I suppose. Anyway don't watch the reviewer you don't like.

wow you’re really annoying

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

There's a boat in God of War!?

thanks a lot for spoiling this <:mad:>

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

RareAcumen posted:

I would love anyone who's underwhelmed by a game to have an idea of what they wanted instead.

I saw trailers and noticed that it did not become a tower defense or RTS game the second a centaur started trying to break Kratos' head with one of it's hooves, it's not like this is Sonic or a Platinum Games developed thing or something.

I apologize that my very mild criticism of the game upset you. I didn't watch any trailers or have any tower defense expectations, just bought the game on the basis of more than one review declaring it a "masterpiece". However, so far, it just looks and plays like a bigger, more refined version of GoW 2018. That's cool, it's no big deal. I'm enjoying Ragnarok and it's early going. Still looking forward to the first monster-budget AAA ps5 game that really feels like a big step forward, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

wow you’re really annoying

So are you. I'd even say you are "freaking" annoying.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

I apologize that my very mild criticism of the game upset you. I didn't watch any trailers or have any tower defense expectations, just bought the game on the basis of more than one review declaring it a "masterpiece". However, so far, it just looks and plays like a bigger, more refined version of GoW 2018. That's cool, it's no big deal. I'm enjoying Ragnarok and it's early going. Still looking forward to the first monster-budget AAA ps5 game that really feels like a big step forward, though.

Yeah, I don't think this is a controversial take at all. Ragnarok is way better than 2018 but yeah the design methodology is pretty much "2018 but BIG" similar to how Elden Ring is Big Souls. The important part of Ragnarok is the storytelling, which is done beautifully, and I even might argue that the 1-take thing which was basically a gimmick in 2018 actually is used in highly innovative ways in Ragnarok in order to tell a story with more moving parts. It just also happens to have way better environments, combat, and cinematic design.

Also, yeah it's Sony's last big cross-gen game according to Rim Jyan's notes, and 2023 will start to open up the gates for newer, crazier stuff. Covid really did gently caress up the industry's horizons for like 18 solid months. I think in December of 2019 the plan was to make 2LOU the PS4 swansong, but the PS4 soon became way more essential to the broader scope of gen 9 in its entirety.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'd even say you are "freaking" annoying.

:laugh:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I broke down and ordered TLOU part 1 since it's down to 50$ and not much seems to interest me until Forspoken in February.

Loved Ragnarok, not everything was perfect. Typical coming of age story and family drama but it was all told so well and had maybe two bugs that were easily reloaded but never really had any performance issues. It could really use an NG+ which I assume will come eventually but it took them a while to implement it in GoW1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I liked how the first time you bump into one of the infinitely reused Troll boss enemies from GoW18 you crash a little train into them and immediately shank them in the throat.

That was such a vindicating moment :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
god of more

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

haveblue posted:

There are also petrified ones all over the world, I’m almost afraid to ask if they ever wake up

its optional, but yes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

EDIT: nvm

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 22, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JBP posted:

I find his weekly digest good because I don't have time to read all the "gaming news" or look at indie games, so a 30 minute rundown I can watch on a flight or whatever is gold.

Yeah his reviews are kinda whatever but the weekly digest is really great and I appreciate it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The Dark Souls 3 DLC was awesome! I did three pretty intense optional bosses in a row with Nameless King from the main game, Darkeater Midir and Slave Knight Gael. Extremely glad I get to skip all three in NG+.

It’s bittersweet getting ready to face my final Souls boss. Fortunately Elden Ring is on sale for Black Friday and I’ve ordered a copy for the new year. :getin:

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Augus posted:

did “you” hit your head or pop a bloodvessel because I called your favorite YouTuber dumb or something, “wtf” kinda response “is” that

whatever it is you think you're doing i really wish you wouldn't

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

God of bore. Combat wants to be deep but it's really just trigger mashing with occasional button mashes. Beautiful corridors with too many inconsequential fetchquest puzzles. I just don't care about the world around me. I feel the same about Conrol and the first Horizon game. There isn't a compelling gameplay loop and I don't super enjoy the world.

I'm about 2/3 through God of war 2018 and its a beautiful game I care nothing about. I kinda am curious how they tie the story up but I can't see playing beyond 1 playthrough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

giogadi posted:

Yikes! I feel like someone could be fully justified just to say that a game didn’t feel innovative. And almost by definition, innovation is hard to come up with on the spot, so I don’t blame them for not having a game proposal ready with innovative alternatives!!!

Rental Sting posted:

I was more using that one post as an example of what feel like half made points. Like a blank line on a form where someone neglected to fill in their name. And they happen fairly often on here but I don't have more e examples aside from yours right now, I'm afraid. Maybe my problem is just that I'm not looking at review scores compared to gameplay videos but if the game falls short it'd be cool to have one or two things that would've been Wow Factors?

Like, should it have had more contextual actions? Should there be fallen trees and boulders you can throw at people? A return of the grab button so you throw enemies into big piles? Just giving Kratos an elbow drop finisher on knocked over enemies?

Just that the facts of the matter is that it doesn't earn the praise it's been given, so what would improve it?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Combat became a lot more interesting when bumped up to mercy mode as you really have to be aware of enemies around you and I found the attack warnings quite helpful.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

infraboy posted:

Combat became a lot more interesting when bumped up to mercy mode as you really have to be aware of enemies around you and I found the attack warnings quite helpful.

I think it's interesting that they make you think in full 2 D but the camera focus is really close to your shoulder and I feel like the game cheats with enemies behing being faster and more aggressive, which would make sense in the real world but not my godlike fantasy. I think it's more camera rodeo than real gameplay.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brian Worms posted:

whatever it is you think you're doing i really wish you wouldn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLumK87nGxE

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I definitely got some cheap deaths because the camera was at a bad angle for enemies or a boss high above me would throw a yellow or red ringed attack and I couldn't see if I needed to dodge or parry.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

I think it's interesting that they make you think in full 2 D but the camera focus is really close to your shoulder and I feel like the game cheats with enemies behing being faster and more aggressive, which would make sense in the real world but not my godlike fantasy. I think it's more camera rodeo than real gameplay.

They really refined the camera angle, parry system, and enemy movement in Ragnarok. It's not perfect but it's real good. I had some issues with the first game but you should play both imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t like that quick turn is now a combo, I was just starting to get used to using it when I replayed 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

I don’t like that quick turn is now a combo, I was just starting to get used to using it when I replayed 2018

L3 is a cursed button.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat, hell of a way to find out my monitor only supports 1440p 60hz over hdmi

upside is, I finally got a ps5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:toot:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

L3 is a cursed button.

I don’t fully understand this opinion. I’ve never had any issue pressing L3 or R3. Occasional accidental presses of them only happen once in a blue moon. What is there to hate about them? (other than it’s a controller invention post-1992 :v:)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t fully understand this opinion. I’ve never had any issue pressing L3 or R3. Occasional accidental presses of them only happen once in a blue moon. What is there to hate about them? (other than it’s a controller invention post-1992 :v:)

“Press and hold the stick while pushing the stick in a specific direction” was really common in the 360 era and I think it gives “click the stick idk about direction lol do whatever” a bad reputation imo

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I distinctly remember being impressed by the PS2 Godfather game wanting you to click both sticks and push inward to choke a guy. Other than that, I got no strong feelings about clicking sticks.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

RareAcumen posted:

Like, should it have had more contextual actions? Should there be fallen trees and boulders you can throw at people? A return of the grab button so you throw enemies into big piles? Just giving Kratos an elbow drop finisher on knocked over enemies?

Just that the facts of the matter is that it doesn't earn the praise it's been given, so what would improve it?

Elbow drop or leg drop would be nice, yes. Honestly, the axe mechanics felt so fresh and were so fun to gently caress around with in the last one that this game just feels a bit safe in comparison, is all. But I'm not yet halfway through it and could be way wrong. Just initial impressions. Played through a really cool sequence today ( Atreus (love his combat style) falling asleep, walking up in a lush, amazing-looking Giant realm, and meeting Angrboda ) so it's already heating up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

It's just a lovely input, it feels viscerally bad to use. There's a reason games use it as a last resort. You're pressing one end of a stick with the base on a hinge so you have to stabilize it to make sure you're pressing downward and not wiggling. You have to slightly adjust how hard and/or where you press if the stick is neutral vs tilted. And it always feels like I'm putting stress on a sensitive component. Contrast with the joy of pressing a simple button. There's only one way to press a button and it's effortless and it feels like that's what it was made for. Click L3 slowly, feel how many muscles have to get involved, how tight your grip gets, the way the stick mushily travels a millimeter before registering the input. Then try pressing a direction on the dpad and feel the difference in your hand. It's maybe subtle, but after enough ashen muscle dad hustle it can add up to a hand cramp. A shameful input, it shall soon be consigned to the trash heap of history. The age of the back button draws near.