Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1594766182728757248?s=46&t=nsweX32N2MZYr7om9a5Fsg

What is the point of sports media if not a single person challenged this statement with “aren’t you in 31st place?”

Very ready for DJ to not be the coach of this team, but at the same time I don't think any other coach would do better with this defense. It's fine to say "don't play Chabot 28 minutes a night, he's dying", but outside of him and Sanderson, he doesn't really have any other options? All of the defencemen they've drafted suck (except Sanderson), Brannstrom is maybe an above-average 3rd pairing guy, and Dorion did nothing to address the blueline over the summer.

Keeping Connor Brown and using the assets that they spent on DeBrincat to get a decent 1st/2nd pair guy would've gone a long way to making this team better. Didn't expect it before the season, but I almost feel like Norris is a more important player than DeBrincat for the success of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm not usually a gambling guy, but sport betting just became legal in Maryland and instead of doing work I'm trying to figure out how to use all the promo offers to take both sides of some moneylines.

Was looking at Stanley Cup odds and was a lot gobsmacked to see the Devils are currently tied for No. 5 with Toronto at +1300.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I kinda feel bad for DeBrincat because he was brought in to be a 40+ goal scorer and is currently tied with Colin White on Florida with 5. I can understand that he’s shooting below his career sh% but gently caress man, at least hit the net instead of missing wide

Giroux on the other hand has been perfect, even better than expected. I love when they show him yelling at the rest of these losers on the bench when they’re getting crushed

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Imaging looking at Paul Maurice's 24 year coaching career of abject mediocrity or worse and going :hmmyes: I'll have some of that please.

I'm kinda curious if they looked at Trotz and thought "well, after 16 years of only getting to the second round, he broke out with a more talented roster and won it all".

Maurice has not had as consistent regular season success but had a Cup run and two conference finals runs. it even took Trotz 3 years of losing in the second round with Washington, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Caps really should have won the Cup in '17 but the best team of the Ovi era was the '16 team. Just really bad timing, that Pens team was a buzzsaw. But there are definitely universes where the Caps pulled a threepeat in 16-17-18. Those were really dominant teams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Caps really should have won the Cup in '17 but the best team of the Ovi era was the '16 team. Just really bad timing, that Pens team was a buzzsaw. But there are definitely universes where the Caps pulled a threepeat in 16-17-18. Those were really dominant teams.

I thought the Pens were the better team in 2018 and the Caps won that series so it all evened out

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 21, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Pens were the better team. It took the cowardly Tom Wilson concussing Penguins in back to back games to put the Caps over the top. One of which Wilson was suspended for but no penalty was assessed during the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's just smart hockey and the Caps'/Wilson's willingness to take full advantage of the league's disinclination to punish headhunting should be taken into the accounting of which was the likeliest team to win.

Guys who can play hockey well and are terrible people that like to kill other people on the ice are immensely valuable and especially so in the playoffs when you can KO guys for an entire series. Cooke was a much more valuable player than he looked on the stat sheet for the same reason and the Pens benefited from that for years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus Matt Cooke exposed Mario Lemieux as a loving loser so that was pretty fun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

I kinda feel bad for DeBrincat because he was brought in to be a 40+ goal scorer and is currently tied with Colin White on Florida with 5. I can understand that he’s shooting below his career sh% but gently caress man, at least hit the net instead of missing wide

Giroux on the other hand has been perfect, even better than expected. I love when they show him yelling at the rest of these losers on the bench when they’re getting crushed

….Girioux has a lot of experience yelling at losers on his own bench while losing :negative:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Dirty Burger posted:

He's shooting more than ever before in his entire career. He's putting up nearly a PPG while shooting 8% vs his career of 15%. The drop off in his production is mostly from the powerplay where DeBrincat is a full point short relative to his career average, but Ottawa seems to be slightly above NHL average with 22% conversion rate so nothing really to worry about. With the shooting specifically DeBrincat has 71 total shots 5v5. 9 are credited as misses and 17 are chalked up as blocks. This leaves Alex with 45 actual shots on goal with a career best 63.5% shots through.

I'd worry way more about Drake Batherson being a gigantic -12 or the team performing about nearly bang dead center of NHL teams but inhabiting the basement. Although that 3rd hardest strength of schedule doesn't really do a lot of favors.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m also amazed that in the year 2022 Conor Sheary is still finding opportunities as a first line winger.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/mikemcintyrewpg/status/1594843704459759616

this rules, good job Winnipeg.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Owns.

btw, this is the best EA NHL intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCT6aXaZcVI

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

why is it every single time I check on a bruins score they're up by 3 goals?

shame they don't play the devils for a month, that would be a fun game to see right now

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bergeron got his 1,000th point, which I think makes him a Hall of Fame lock (as if he wasn't already). He's only the fourth player to ever do it as a Bruin after Bourque, Bucyk, and Esposito. Pretty good company. Esposito had 1,012 so Patrice will probably pass him for 3rd on that list soon enough.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bergeron got his 1,000th point, which I think makes him a Hall of Fame lock (as if he wasn't already). He's only the fourth player to ever do it as a Bruin after Bourque, Bucyk, and Esposito. Pretty good company. Esposito had 1,012 so Patrice will probably pass him for 3rd on that list soon enough.

He's definitely a lock, and they need to rename the Selke the Bergy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

as much as i hate him, he definitely deserves it

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
As a Canucks fan, I don't even hate Bergeron. He's a good guy, amazing player, won gold with Team Canada. I've got a soft spot for defensive minded forwards like him and Kesler, they're so comparatively underappreciated.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Makar got his 200th point.
https://twitter.com/bmcnich/status/1594872753101758464

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

That's a pretty huge gap between him and Zubov, too.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huh I always forget Coffey had a bit of a quiet rookie year before he went nuts.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike Works posted:

As a Canucks fan, I don't even hate Bergeron. He's a good guy, amazing player, won gold with Team Canada. I've got a soft spot for defensive minded forwards like him and Kesler, they're so comparatively underappreciated.

not just that but overcoming those concussion issues early on too
I've never hated him, undeniably a goddamned legend

unlike that rat Marchand

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like Makar is going to join Lidstrom/Bourque/Orr as one of those defensemen who is just dominant and wins the Norris a bunch.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Let's fuckin' go Devils :devil:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Huh I always forget Coffey had a bit of a quiet rookie year before he went nuts.

I guess it might be relevant to this that Makar's rookie season was his age 21 season, wheras players like Coffey and Leech and Housley were in the league much younger.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Makar also with by far the most punchable looking rodent face

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

Makar also with by far the most punchable looking rodent face

Brad Marchand‘s name is literally on this page.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I find Marchand intensely annoying as a player but I have to admit that it appears that he is actually a pretty solid dude overall.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I find Marchand intensely annoying as a player but I have to admit that it appears that he is actually a pretty solid dude overall.

I would take him on my team in a heartbeat but he is also a monster, a literal Grendel except tiny, and I hate every moment he is on the ice

in other words a perfect hockey player

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Even more important record was shattered today, Cal Clutterbuck passed Dustin Brown with most career hits with 3,633

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s pretty funny to me that whenever Sheldon Keefe tries to show confidence in a backup they immediately poo poo themselves

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Even more important record was shattered today, Cal Clutterbuck passed Dustin Brown with most career hits with 3,633

Cal Freakin Clutterbuck Babey!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils still good

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Devils still good

currently watching avs / stars to decide which 2000 era scf rematch I would prefer

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:nms::nms: I warned you.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NJ vs BOS double header for christmas

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Mike Works posted:

I have a soft spot for Kesler too it's my puckered rear end and he can kiss it

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks did it again.

7 times in 19 games they've blown a 2 or more goal lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mike Works posted:

Same, seeing everyone hop off the bench to celebrate with him was cool to see.

gently caress Da Bruins (But Bergeron is OK)