Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
To piggyback on the multiple profile thing, what happens to saves with multiple consoles? My partner and I both have the NSO whatever thing which I think has cloud saves. Will both consoles sync the saves back and forth every time I pick it up, or is it better for each person to have a “main” console with their saves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

B33rChiller posted:

Tell that to my fruit eating, rock crushing, tree digging kid.
She also stole one of my pipes for getting to the pier quick.

Just have to accept that you can't give a 5yo tools and super strength, and expect things to stay where you put them, I guess.
Such is the way of the world
Yeah, I don't play Animal Crossing, I forgot the island is shared between profiles.

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget
Hi,

What game should I play/buy next? Here is what I have and how I feel about them. I feel like a lot of times I buy a game because it has a high score on what ever review site but it isn't fun for me personally.

• Hades: probably my favourite game on the switch. #1 most played. I like the strategizing re boons/weapons and combat.
  • Fortnight: quite like it to be honest. I enjoy FPS and am fairly decent. This is my #2 most played. I like doing the checklist type tasks....
  • Stardew valley: Great. #3 most played.
  • Witcher: I like the combat, tend to skip the dialogue. Played a lot of gwent. #4 most played.
  • Zelda botw. #5 most played. Obviously a cool game.

• Air conflicts: planes are fun. Probably my favourite "cheap game".
  • Alien isolation: didn't finish, a bit too scary for me. I don't like I like games that are dark.
  • Animal crossing: a bit boring, liked stardew a lot better. Don't really care about decorating.
  • Astral chain: I really like this game. Controls took a bit to get used to but I like the combat / collecting items / upgrading skills aspect of it.
  • Bro force: Fun lil time game.
  • Cities skylines: feel like it would be better on a pc... or if it was sim city 2000.
  • Dark souls: Too hard, gave up after an hour. Do I keep going? A 'critic review purchase'.
  • Disco elysium: Have played about an hour, I don't think I like reading. Do I keep going?
  • Doom: Finished, have no real need to desire to play again but it was a good game.
  • Dragon ball z fighers: I quite like fighting games. Fun for a weekend but once you have it finished a bit limited.
  • Grid: I enjoyed but probably would like a steering wheel to enjoy it more.
  • Hyrle warriors: I like this a lot. I think of it as a very nice quasi-sequal to BOTW
  • Mario kart: Good, have gold on nearly everything.
  • Metro last light: Maybe I don't like survival FPS or FPS with dark survival elements. I don't think I care for plot...
  • Mortal kombat 11: okay to good.
  • Overcooked: okay-ish as a party game. mostly play by myself in hand held mode so *shrug*
  • Pandemic: I like this, but it could definitely be a flash game. why do I keep buying games digitally.
  • Realpolitiks: feel like it would be better on a pc... or if it was sim city 2000.
  • Streets of rage 4: this is just like river city ransom and cool.
  • Super mario oddsey: this was great.
  • Xcom 2: Gave up after the tutorial. Seems like it is boring or hard to control on Switch. A 'critic review purchase'.

New pokemon game? Hallow Knight? Play what I already have?

(If it helps the last console I've owned is a ps1 so am open to revisiting the classics)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

check out Kirby and the Forgotten Lands op

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lizzy posted:

Hi,

What game should I play/buy next? Here is what I have and how I feel about them.

finish Disco Elysium, the game has everything pretty much fully voice acted and it’s the best voice acting I’ve ever seen. Period. It’s leaps and bounds better than any game, and I’d argue few movies are as good as the casting in this game, at the moment I can’t think of one. You don’t have to read cause everything will be said outloud and wonderfully done.

That said what do you want to play, genre wise? That’d help with suggestions. JRPG? Action? Sport? Etc.

If you want something quick I’d get A Short Hike. It’s the ideal game, won’t cost a lot, and you won’t burn out on it. But it’s short.

Otherwise get Sifu and tell me how it plays! :keke:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

can’t agree with this enough

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Prepare yourself for TERROR INSTINCT

https://twitter.com/tgm_series/status/1594964939600703488

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

Prepare yourself for TERROR INSTINCT

https://twitter.com/tgm_series/status/1594964939600703488

holy poo poo YES

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's that got that I can't get from Tetris Effect or Tetris 99? Don't get me wrong. I can always get more Tetris.

I'm good at it but not godly, I have no intention on being a Grandmaster.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Lizzy posted:

Hi,

What game should I play/buy next? Here is what I have and how I feel about them. I feel like a lot of times I buy a game because it has a high score on what ever review site but it isn't fun for me personally.

• Hades: probably my favourite game on the switch. #1 most played. I like the strategizing re boons/weapons and combat.
  • Fortnight: quite like it to be honest. I enjoy FPS and am fairly decent. This is my #2 most played. I like doing the checklist type tasks....
  • Stardew valley: Great. #3 most played.
  • Witcher: I like the combat, tend to skip the dialogue. Played a lot of gwent. #4 most played.

• Air conflicts: planes are fun. Probably my favourite "cheap game".
  • Alien isolation: didn't finish, a bit too scary for me. I don't like I like games that are dark.
  • Animal crossing: a bit boring, liked stardew a lot better. Don't really care about decorating.
  • Astral chain: I really like this game. Controls took a bit to get used to but I like the combat / collecting items / upgrading skills aspect of it.
  • Bro force: Fun lil time game.
  • Cities skylines: feel like it would be better on a pc... or if it was sim city 2000.
  • Dark souls: Too hard, gave up after an hour. Do I keep going? A 'critic review purchase'.
  • Disco elysium: Have played about an hour, I don't think I like reading. Do I keep going?
  • Doom: Finished, have no real need to desire to play again but it was a good game.
  • Dragon ball z fighers: I quite like fighting games. Fun for a weekend but once you have it finished a bit limited.
  • Grid: I enjoyed but probably would like a steering wheel to enjoy it more.
  • Hyrle warriors: I like this a lot. I think of it as a very nice quasi-sequal to BOTW
  • Mario kart: Good, have gold on nearly everything.
  • Metro last light: Maybe I don't like survival FPS or FPS with dark survival elements. I don't think I care for plot...
  • Mortal kombat 11: okay to good.
  • Overcooked: okay-ish as a party game. mostly play by myself in hand held mode so *shrug*
  • Pandemic: I like this, but it could definitely be a flash game. why do I keep buying games digitally.
  • Realpolitiks: feel like it would be better on a pc... or if it was sim city 2000.
  • Streets of rage 4: this is just like river city ransom and cool.
  • Super mario oddsey: this was great.
  • Xcom 2: Gave up after the tutorial. Seems like it is boring or hard to control on Switch. A 'critic review purchase'.

New pokemon game? Hallow Knight? Play what I already have?

(If it helps the last console I've owned is a ps1 so am open to revisiting the classics)

Crimzon Clover World Explosion, Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo, or Radiant Silvergun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's that got that I can't get from Tetris Effect or Tetris 99? Don't get me wrong. I can always get more Tetris.

I'm good at it but not godly, I have no intention on being a Grandmaster.
It's a version of the series by Arika (who you might know better from Tetris 99) aimed pretty squarely at experts. Let me put it this way: The subtitle for the third game in the series is "TERROR-INSTINCT" and it is not an exaggeration.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still reckon Scarlet/Violet is probably a case of 'we can have more content or we can have polish, not both on this budget and deadline' and they chose the former.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Game Freak should just make Drill Dozer sequels

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

It's a version of the series by Arika (who you might know better from Tetris 99) aimed pretty squarely at experts. Let me put it this way: The subtitle for the third game in the series is "TERROR-INSTINCT" and it is not an exaggeration.

So the super hard mode in effect but all the time? I’ve gotten far at that but I haven’t beaten it. I’ll pass but that’s cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More info on the TGM port:

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1594963972838797313

TL;DR, it's part of Arcade Archive's celebration of 300 consecutive weeks of shoving arcade ROMs onto the eShop every week. To mark the occasion, they'll be releasing their first 1970s game - Galaxian - this week, and their first 32-bit arcade title - TGM1 - next week.

Apparently the future of the TGM series (or more specifically, on the Tetris Company letting a little slack on their gameplay requirements and letting Arika make another TGM) relies on this port selling well...

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So the super hard mode in effect but all the time? I’ve gotten far at that but I haven’t beaten it. I’ll pass but that’s cool.

i fuckin love tetris but yeah tgm is for the real dedicated players only. otoh depending on what it's priced at it could be a really fun novelty to try out. it's ball-bustingly tough but in a way that's satisfying to play once you learn it

if it's cheap, get it. otherwise feel free to give it a pass

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hey, ignore the cool and interesting stuff happening and get onnwith your journey to the next Gym while other characters do the cool and interesting stuff offscreen" is a real low bar to clear, let's be honest.

The SwSh story was so nothing that the anime adaptation did the entire plot of the game in four episodes and didn't skip a single beat, then went back to the characters travelyall over the world mostly to more interesting regions.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lizzy posted:

Hi,

I'd recommend Two Point hospital, especially if you played Theme Hospital/Park on ps1 (rip Bullfrog, EA delenda est)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lizzy posted:

Hi,

It sounds like you enjoy NES-era Zelda style top down combat, combining items/weapons to get crazy synergies, and checking endless things off a list. If that’s the case, try my most played Switch game, The Binding of Isaac: Repentance. The humor/motif definitely isn’t for everyone but it’s pretty much endlessly replayable if you like that type of game and you’re ok with a bit of edgelord humor.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Yeah if you want to smile the entire time you play a game you should try Kirby and the Forgotten Lands

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If I'm just ok at tetris, will grand master make me better or will it just humiliate me?

Reminds me, there hasn't been a tatris maximus cup in quite a while

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If I'm just ok at tetris, will grand master make me better or will it just humiliate me?

Reminds me, there hasn't been a tatris maximus cup in quite a while

I saw a video of some kid going for the Grand Master title, and after a while the pieces turn invisible. I like to think I'm good at Tetris, but I'm not that good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Game Freak should just make Drill Dozer sequels

Only after they make a Pulseman sequel

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

drat, not only is (New pokemon evo spoilers) Clodsire adorable, it also looks like a formidable special wall with 2 freaking inmunities. awhy is the Wooper line so perfect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

As long as your kid's playing on his own profile he won't touch your saves. Nintendo was doing that as far back as the Wii U.
Until your kid learns that your BotW save has All The Cool poo poo in it, then your saves are doomed.

The trick is to buy another Switch (Lite) for cheap, maybe one with a broken screen or something. Turn on cloud saves and download all your saves to that, turn off automatic syncing, and hide it until you need to restore one of your unmolested saves to the cloud. Or accept that your kids are going to be assholes about this and roll with it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lizzy posted:

Hi,

You might like Streets of Rogue. The edition with the DLC included is on sale and it's a really fun action roguelike where you can play as a wide variety of characters with different play styles and objectives.

If you want more Hyrule Warriors I'd recommend the original Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. It has an insane amount of content and missions in it.

Shovel Knight is also really good and might be something you'd like based on what you posted.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Flying Zamboni posted:

You might like Streets of Rogue. The edition with the DLC included is on sale and it's a really fun action roguelike where you can play as a wide variety of characters with different play styles and objectives.

If you want more Hyrule Warriors I'd recommend the original Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. It has an insane amount of content and missions in it.

Shovel Knight is also really good and might be something you'd like based on what you posted.

I've already effort posted about Streets of Rogue, but yes. All of those games are good. And Hades.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been playing recent game Ghost Song on ps5 (it is on switch as well). It's a 2d metroidvania where you are a "deadsuit" running around blasting fauna on some alien planet. This is a long rear end post so just scroll if you aren't interested in the game.

My feelings toward this game have been a real rollercoaster...I started out quite smitten with it. The background art is fantastic, probably the best thing about the game. It has a great atmosphere for sure. Plotwise there are a few mysteries that are intriguing, so I'm invested there.

After playing for a bit I came to realize the gameplay is pretty blah. You run and shoot like Samus, but not as good...for example, your gun is fully auto, but it has short range and doesn't fire super straight like Samus does. The short range just loving sucks, like playing the original metroid or zero mission before getting the long beam. You can also plant your feet and aim 360 like Samus.

The main gimmick to combat is that your gun will also overheat, severely reducing the rate of fire...but when that happens, your melee weapon has a big damage buff. So you are encouraged to switch it up as the situation demands. However your character is not very agile so I find melee to be awkward. Enemies are kinda boring and samey...probably 75% of them fall into two categories: humanoid guys that walk around, sometimes sprouting a big fist to bean you with, and some variation of an enemy that pops out of the ground and rushes you. Enemies in general have too much health and are tedious to fight. Bosses range from lame to pretty ok.

All of this is tolerable yet disappointing. There is another aspect that I want to whine about...the story and its presentation.

So you're a "deadsuit", you woke up on a planet and you're just kind of like "oh, I guess I Am." Your character doesn't know if she's a human or what, but she's apparently afraid of investigating or thinking too hard about it. So when someone asks her to take off her helmet, she politely declines. Based on the context, there's no loving way she's a human, so it's interesting to know something the protagonist won't admit to herself, though she seems to slowly be coming around to the idea of being a robot/whatever. Sapient robots do exist in this universe, and from what I've seen it's just something that happens over time...an automaton will just become aware, and when it happens, it's of course a profound moment for the robot. I'm not very smart, or literate, or smart, but I do wonder if there's an LGBTQ metaphor there. I find myself rooting for the deadsuit to figure it out. But I haven't finished the story yet so maybe I'm way off.

So anyway you wake up and start running around shooting stuff until you find a crash site. Turns out there is some kind of static field around this mystery planet, causing ships to crash. You find a small group of crash survivors who you talk to and eventually undertake a mission to gather spaceship parts so they can leave...but presumably you need to deal with the static field thing too. So far all of this is great and intriguing...but unfortunately each npc at this crash site has tedious dialog that you must endure. Sometimes it's plot related, sometimes it's worldbuilding, most of the time it's just their musings. The just loving drone. The way conversations work is odd...it switches between voice acting, to text, to voice acting, then back to text at strange intervals. Conversations take loving forever. I have to use the word tedious again, because that's the most accurate description, much like my posting. When I have a new spaceship part to take back to camp I dread needing to deal with new dialog from everyone. All momentum is removed.

So I like the plot but the implementation sucks. I reached a low point where I almost quit the game but sunken cost fallacy has pulled me through. I think I'm now getting close to the end. This post is already too long so I'm going to bullet point some things

Exploration is good, lots of false walls to find which is always satisfying. I found a pickup because I could faintly hear it's distinct sound, so I knew to check for false walls. That was a cool moment

Death is dark souls style where you drop your money and have to retrieve it, or lose it. So when you die you need to head back and see if you can find your loving wallet...if you're at a boss, your money is held hostage until you can beat it. You have a death penalty where a certain percent of your health bar is removed until you go to a repair/fast travel place, and this death penalty accumulates as you die more and more. So you can die to a boss, try again because you want your loving money back, and die again until your death penalty is too much and you need to go get repaired.

It costs money to level up, repair, and buy stuff from the shop

You find equipable upgrades/weapons to slot in but you have a pretty restrictive limit, so you must switch them around as needed

Music kind of reminds me of Explosions in the Sky, which would normally be a really good thing, but it doesn't work. It's just sort of there and anemic and blah

There's no minimap and when you hit start to see the map, the loving game doesn't pause. Why? I don't know, maybe its another attempt to be dark souls-ey but it's fuckin rude

Occasionally you must do some pinpoint platforming

Again I must comment that the background art is really good...though I dont like the character art

I think I'm towards the end of the game and I have a to-do list (go fight that optional boss that beat me before, go check that area with an npc and see if he has anything new, etc). Having a to-do list like that is a good thing in these games, imo, perchance

All on all an interesting game to think about, though I'm not sure I like it. Can't see myself playing through it again, though apparently there are multiple endings

Well I didn't intend to write all that about the game but the alternative is to actually do work in my office so here we are

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ghost song’s dialogue is superb but only if you like reading

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A couple games had my interest until they mention corpse running. I burned out on that mechanic after Hollow Knight.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Until your kid learns that your BotW save has All The Cool poo poo in it, then your saves are doomed.

The trick is to buy another Switch (Lite) for cheap, maybe one with a broken screen or something. Turn on cloud saves and download all your saves to that, turn off automatic syncing, and hide it until you need to restore one of your unmolested saves to the cloud. Or accept that your kids are going to be assholes about this and roll with it.
I guess you can't password- or PIN-protect a profile (I haven't tried, I'm basically the only person who ever uses my Switch)? Maybe a feature Nintendo should consider for the Switch Pro - or one of their all-too-frequent "stability" updates. :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t think they’re too invested in the profile system. They want you buying your kids their own Switch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Waffle! posted:

A couple games had my interest until they mention corpse running. I burned out on that mechanic after Hollow Knight.

It sucks doubly so in Hollow Knight because the mechanic actively discourages exploration. So I just died in a place that sucked, and I want to check out this other area, but first I need to trudge back to get my poo poo before I can explore and it's an annoyance. It only works in very linear games like the Souls games (and even then, not always) when you have basically one way to go and it's more of a challenge to have you reach that same distance.

That said, it sucks and is probably one of the worst elements of the genre, so I'm glad when games simply forego it.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Rumor going around that Nintendo is issuing refunds for Pokemon Scarlet / Violet, so if you bought it like a fool you can get your money back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

I guess you can't password- or PIN-protect a profile (I haven't tried, I'm basically the only person who ever uses my Switch)? Maybe a feature Nintendo should consider for the Switch Pro - or one of their all-too-frequent "stability" updates. :v:

You can pin protect the entire system. Turn on parental controls, set it to require them for any rating, and then set each individual day to have a play limit of 0 minutes.

That way no matter what they try to start (any rating), if they have exceeded a playtime of 0 minutes, it will prompt for the PIN

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

worms butthole guy posted:

Rumor going around that Nintendo is issuing refunds for Pokemon Scarlet / Violet, so if you bought it like a fool you can get your money back.

Don't know if that's true but if so then a patch wouldn't be far off - this sort of thing would have Nintendo coming down hard on Gamefreak to fix their poo poo if they need to issue refunds for it.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 22, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

worms butthole guy posted:

The article I read said it was one guy who posted on reddit that he got a refund after spending an hour talking to support.

Considering someone in one of these switch threads posted about getting a refund for something they played for 60 hours that's just a thing Nintendo does

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Is it actually a special pre-approved refund thing, or is it just a lot of people asking for refunds and getting them because you can normally get a refund when you talk to customer service? This wouldn’t be the first time there have been articles about “Wow, [company] is offering refunds for [game] because it’s so broken!!” only for the company to clarify that they’re not doing anything different and their normal refund policy still applies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sure Worms Butthole Guy is only repeating the most reliable information here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm sure Worms Butthole Guy is only repeating the most reliable information here